The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sherminator

Game of Thrones, anyone?

I like the show, it's okay.

But I've been a HUGE fan of the books first and foremost. The books are much better than the show.

The problem is, Martin took freaking FIVE YEARS to write the fourth book, and then ANOTHER SIX YEARS to write the last one. And the series are nowhere close to being finished, and the last two books are nowhere as great as the first three, and Martin is not getting any younger or healthier, or any less fatter... I just don't believe anymore he'll ever finish the series.

Yes, I'm a bitter, bitter fan. I love the books, it's awesome to see the Ice and Fire series come to life in a very good production, but Martin sucks. What he put his fans through was torture, the end result was disappointing, and at this point I'm just burned out. So I can't quite enjoy the show as much as I would have otherwise.

I like the show, it's okay.

But I've been a HUGE fan of the books first and foremost. The books are much better than the show.

The problem is, Martin took freaking FIVE YEARS to write the fourth book, and then ANOTHER SIX YEARS to write the last one. And the series are nowhere close to being finished, and the last two books are nowhere as great as the first three, and Martin is not getting any younger or healthier, or any less fatter... I just don't believe anymore he'll ever finish the series.

Yes, I'm a bitter, bitter fan. I love the books, it's awesome to see the Ice and Fire series come to life in a very good production, but Martin sucks. What he put his fans through was torture, the end result was disappointing, and at this point I'm just burned out. So I can't quite enjoy the show as much as I would have otherwise.

I feel your pain man!

-I have the same pain about Terry Pratchett, because he is very ill now, and can not really continue his discworld series, although he tries his best. But I digress.

I feel your pain man!

-I have the same pain about Terry Pratchett, because he is very ill now, and can not really continue his discworld series, although he tries his best. But I digress.

I've never read anything by Terry Pratchett, but so many people are into him, I want to give him a try.

I just don't know if I should start anything that's not complete. I get too involved and passionate about great works of fiction, and then can't deal with waiting for the next bit... It's so much easier to jump in when the series or shows are almost done! :icon_lol:

This show keeps getting better & better. Last Sunday's episode The Old Gods And The New was excellent even though they diverted from the book a bit. I feel such hatred for some people & so much love for others. Haven´t felt that way about a show in a long time :)

I must say the casting has been superb so far, Read they are in the midst of the casting session for 3rd Season.

I just don't know if I should start anything that's not complete. I get too involved and passionate about great works of fiction, and then can't deal with waiting for the next bit... It's so much easier to jump in when the series or shows are almost done! :icon_lol:

Me too! Like with Harry Potter books. Waited in line for the latest book, in fact. Bit embarrassing, as others in line were all kids, many of them in harry potter outfits!:icon_cheesygrin:

Right now I have no book series I would be much enthused about. I've read a LOT of modern fantasy stuff, but most is just bulk, not worth following...

Me too! Like with Harry Potter books. Waited in line for the latest book, in fact. Bit embarrassing, as others in line were all kids, many of them in harry potter outfits!:icon_cheesygrin:

Right now I have no book series I would be much enthused about. I've read a LOT of modern fantasy stuff, but most is just bulk, not worth following...

I loved the last HP book & couldn't read it fast enough! Am actually gonna visit Leavesden Studios on Halloween to see the actual sets HP was filmed with :) I don't care how small the children are gonna be there, I will be walking amongst. It's just something my sis & me wanted to see for ourselves since we have seen all the movies in the cinema together. She went to HP park in Orlando last year & brought me back a Snape wand replica :)

As long as it's entertaining & a good read I am game!

I loved the last HP book & couldn't read it fast enough! Am actually gonna visit Leavesden Studios on Halloween to see the actual sets HP was filmed with :) I don't care how small the children are gonna be there, I will be walking amongst. It's just something my sis & me wanted to see for ourselves since we have seen all the movies in the cinema together. She went to HP park in Orlando last year & brought me back a Snape wand replica :)

As long as it's entertaining & a good read I am game!

Haha! I read the latest HP book in one go. It took me till 4 am the next morning, but I just could not stop! I was really tired at work!:icon_cheesygrin:

Oh this is so one of my favorite shows. I'm so sad when I have to wait a week to see what happens next!

PS: don't tell me to read the books because it is already on my todo list

Do you like these shirts or do you think they are cheesy wheezy?

I like the first shirt

I read the first three books about ten years ago and have been a huge fan ever since, though my patience has been tried by GRRM's glacial pace in recent years. My hope is that now that he's gotten through the middle part of the story (which he had to write and rewrite several times), he'll get through the final two books more quickly.

Oh well. The show is great either way. It's remained fairly close to the books and has actually expanded on a few things pretty well. Robb Stark is probably the character who's benefited the most from the TV show's additions.

I just ordered my dad this House Targaryen T-shirt

7643.jpg

mostly because he is in love with Dany and I thought him walking around with a picture of a hot chick on himself would be weird.

As I said before, im house Stark all the way. I am very unimpressed with how long it takes Mr.Martin to churn out the books. I mean, 5 and six years? who has the time to wait around for that?

Looking forward to the Season 2 finale tonight on HBO NL. As I have just started reading the books, have got no clue what will happen. At least this in between season time will give me a chance to catch up so I know what will happen in S 3!

The Blackwater episode was awesome ( had to be with Martin writing the ep himself ;) )

Re patience regarding the new books. G Martin himself recently said he wanted to finish the story the way he started them, with enough time on his hands to complete the story to his satisfaction...

Now I am willing to wait around longer if that means he will come up with a satifying end to this great tale...If he just quickly threw the ending together because his audience is tired of waiting, we would surely complain...

Re patience regarding the new books. G Martin himself recently said he wanted to finish the story the way he started them, with enough time on his hands to complete the story to his satisfaction...

Now I am willing to wait around longer if that means he will come up with a satifying end to this great tale...If he just quickly threw the ending together because his audience is tired of waiting, we would surely complain...

My problem with Martin is, he may get sick and die before he ever finishes the books. His health is not the best, he's gotten very fat, he's not getting any younger. I just hope he told his wife or his editor how the series are supposed to end!

Also, despite taking too many years to write the last two books, the result was disappointing. The first three books were awesome, the next two were so-so.

I may be wrong, but to me it seems Martin already told us everything he wanted to say about the world in his first three books...

He created this wonderful world and diverse universe of characters, he shared his philosophy of life, and now he simply ran out of the themes and things to say. So he continues with the story since he knows where it leads, but his heart is no longer in it with the same passion as in earlier books.

My problem with Martin is, he may get sick and die before he ever finishes the books. His health is not the best, he's gotten very fat, he's not getting any younger. I just hope he told his wife or his editor how the series are supposed to end!

Also, despite taking too many years to write the last two books, the result was disappointing. The first three books were awesome, the next two were so-so.

I may be wrong, but to me it seems Martin already told us everything he wanted to say about the world in his first three books...

He created this wonderful world and diverse universe of characters, he shared his philosophy of life, and now he simply ran out of the themes and things to say. So he continues with the story since he knows where it leads, but his heart is no longer in it with the same passion as in earlier books.

Mhhh I can see your point & hope it will be a satisfying end to the story despite all the odds you listed. It's sad if you can see between the lines his heart isn't really in it anymore.

Am now nearing the end of Book One & hope I won't feel disappointed like you when I am reading 4 & 5....