The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darkjuliet4444

Does Penny's Have Borderline Personality Disorder?

The reasons why I asking is I've noticed Penny's behavior shows several symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder & I was just curious if anyone else had noticed it.

My reasoning for Penny possibly having Borderline Personality Disorder are as such:

Borderline personality disorder symptoms include:

* Impulsive behaviors that are harmful to you or to others.Also, you may engage in other impulsive behaviors such as actions that are harmful and destructive to others or to property.

Ie Penny's excessive spending risky driving, promiscuous/excessively short relationships, excessive alcohol use, & I think that could include becoming addicted to a online game so much she forget to go into work.

*Strong emotions that wax and wane frequently

Penny shows quick (and sometimes unexpected) mood swings that last for a few minutes to a few hours.

*Intense but short episodes of anxiety or depression

The whole Lenard "I love you" aniexty in one of the early seasons.

*Inappropriate anger, (intense and difficult to control) that sometimes escalating into physical confrontations.

A lot of the time Penny seems to go from happy or any other feeling to angry in a matter of seconds & swing back to happy just as quickly. How many times Has Penny jumped down someone's throat for the most significant reasons. Look at how quickly she got upset at Alicia & got into a cat fight with her over the guys. Or how mad Penny was about prya & Lenard let alone Prya herself.

*Difficulty controlling emotions or impulses

Pick any episode & I bet you will see her swinging from happy to mad to sad or see drinking or her buying excessive stuff online.

*Very unstable relationships.

Penny's relationships are usually in turmoil. She's often experience a love-hate relationship with others (especially Lenard). She may idealize/adore him one moment and then abruptly and dramatically shift to fury and hate over perceived slights or even minor misunderstandings. She has continuously wanted Lenard then pushed him away & then get upset if he interested in any other woman again, and again, and again.......

*fear of Being Alone

Penny seems to have almost a fear of being alone/single or a need to be in a relationship or to have to be wanted

But for me it was:e

Penny to Leonard's mom:My dad used to call me slugger. But when I got my first training bra I was no longer Slugger!" crying

One of the causes of BPD can be emotional or physical, abandonment/disconnection as child from a parent be it real or imaginary.

Now don't get me wrong I have nothing against BPD (hell I have been diagnosed with it myself & that is why I can recognize so many of the symptoms). I actually started wondering if their was a connection after seeing so many discussions all over if Sheldon has Asperger's. By the way I can also tell you from first hand experience that Asperger's & BPD are as different as night & day! Trust me with myself habving Borderline & my brother (only 18 months younger than me) having Asperger's I know we're like polar opposites (one very emotional & one very logical)! Still to this day it's still a very penny/sheldon relationship of they may drive you crazy & may make fun of you at times but if things get bad they will be the first one there to try to make you feel better or remind people "Hey! Only I'm allowed to make of them".

Posted (edited)

Yes 100%. The regisseur also created Two and a Half Men must be into personality disorders. Charlie is a narcissist and Alan the co-dependant oder dependent part unable to make decisions on his own. Maybe this is also the key to his success bc everyone knows these Personalities. Lennart also shows many signs of co-dependancy. I can identify with him a lot! ;)

Edited by Philipp Mueller

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2012 at 3:27 AM, Darkjuliet4444 said:

The reasons why I asking is I've noticed Penny's behavior shows several symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder & I was just curious if anyone else had noticed it.

My reasoning for Penny possibly having Borderline Personality Disorder are as such:

* Impulsive behaviors that are harmful to you or to others.Also, you may engage in other impulsive behaviors such as actions that are harmful and destructive to others or to property.

Ie Penny's excessive spending risky driving, promiscuous/excessively short relationships, excessive alcohol use, & I think that could include becoming addicted to a online game so much she forget to go into work.

Penny shows quick (and sometimes unexpected) mood swings that last for a few minutes to a few hours.

*Inappropriate anger, (intense and difficult to control) that sometimes escalating into physical confrontations.

A lot of the time Penny seems to go from happy or any other feeling to angry in a matter of seconds & swing back to happy just as quickly. How many times Has Penny jumped down someone's throat for the most significant reasons. Look at how quickly she got upset at Alicia & got into a cat fight with her over the guys. Or how mad Penny was about prya & Lenard let alone Prya herself.

Pick any episode & I bet you will see her swinging from happy to mad to sad or see drinking or her buying excessive stuff online.

Penny's relationships are usually in turmoil. She's often experience a love-hate relationship with others (especially Lenard). She may idealize/adore him one moment and then abruptly and dramatically shift to fury and hate over perceived slights or even minor misunderstandings. She has continuously wanted Lenard then pushed him away & then get upset if he interested in any other woman again, and again, and again.......

*fear of Being Alone

Penny seems to have almost a fear of being alone/single or a need to be in a relationship or to have to be wanted

Penny to Leonard's mom:My dad used to call me slugger. But when I got my first training bra I was no longer Slugger!" crying

One of the causes of BPD can be emotional or physical, abandonment/disconnection as child from a parent be it real or imaginary.

Now don't get me wrong I have nothing against BPD (hell I have been diagnosed with it myself & that is why I can recognize so many of the symptoms). I actually started wondering if their was a connection after seeing so many discussions all over if Sheldon has Asperger's. By the way I can also tell you from first hand experience that Asperger's & BPD are as different as night & day! Trust me with myself habving Borderline & my brother (only 18 months younger than me) having Asperger's I know we're like polar opposites (one very emotional & one very logical)! Still to this day it's still a very penny/sheldon relationship of they may drive you crazy & may make fun of you at times but if things get bad they will be the first one there to try to make you feel better or remind people "Hey! Only I'm allowed to make of them".

Personally, no. To me you described a normal person. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

22 hours ago, Philipp Mueller said:

Lennart also shows many signs of co-dependancy. I can identify with him a lot!

They all showed signs of co-dependency thru out the show. That's just life.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, chucky said:

Personally, no. To me you described a normal person. I could be wrong, but I don't so.

They all showed signs of co-dependency thru out the show. That's just life.

You know I'm desperate enough to call it out. You're so right! 🙂

thumbup1.gif.7373161d68711f0dbf5f0fced1ab89e3.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

To put simply, no. None of Penmy's behaviors that you described (and none of those you did not describe) is at a level to be considered a symptom of BPD. Also, although they had their ups and downs, I do not think you can consider Leonard and Penny's relationship very "unstable" (especially later on), and she does not idealize nor degrade him. 

I hope you're doing well and taking care of yourself, by the way, knowing that BPD can be challenging to handle. If you're looking for a representation of BPD in comedy, I highly recommend Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Edited by bfm
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

To put simply, no. None of Penmy's behaviors that you described (and none of those you did not describe) is at a level to be considered a symptom of BPD. Also, although they had their ups and downs, I do not think you can consider Leonard and Penny's relationship very "unstable" (especially later on), and she does not idealize nor degrade him. 

I hope you're doing well and taking care of yourself, by the way, knowing that BPD can be challenging to handle. If you're looking for a representation of BPD in comedy, I highly recommend Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Totally agreed!

On 3/19/2012 at 4:27 AM, Darkjuliet4444 said:

*fear of Being Alone

As with Penny and Sheldon, maybe you and your brother need to sing 'soft kitty' to each other.

If Penny has the psych afflictions, she was high functional. She kept her cool on her job.