The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.21 The Hawking Excitation (Apr. 5)

How do you rate this episode?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

Since I'm a girl, I'm no expert on the technicalities of urinals, but wouldn't the splashback comment suggest that it's an indirect joke about Howard's height?

It would depend on the design of the urinal. Some are mounted higher than others. Some have no water in them until they're flushed and some others are more like toilets and always have a pool of water. His height could effect things, as well as how close he stands, force of stream, etc...

I have seen some that flush with enough force to propel water drops out of the basin. Could be any number of ways he ended up with splash back on his belt buckle.

For example, all the jokes about how fat Howard's mom is. I doubt she's SO fat that she can step on her own breasts.

I doubt howard's mom is that fat but at the same time I doubt she was a model in her younger days, she's probably going to be like Charlie browns teacher how we never saw what she looked like.

she's fat.... they've hinted at it before. that's why she couldn't fit into the dresses.

and Howard needs to help her with her make-up/eyebrows and wigs, so she's obviously unattractive.

When Penny picked up Howard's underwear(didn't know they are his) and Sheldon tells her who they are, who else thinks she'd have a stronger reaction than making a face and slowly dropping them, like screaming and throwing across the room.

When Penny picked up Howard's underwear(didn't know they are his) and Sheldon tells her who they are, who else thinks she'd have a stronger reaction than making a face and slowly dropping them, like screaming and throwing across the room.

Lol, yes haven't thought of that but you are right.

For all we know, they did it 5 times and in one she did just that, but they chose the one we saw as the best.

For all we know, they did it 5 times and in one she did just that, but they chose the one we saw as the best.

They should done the one that would be more realistic reaction from Penny unless this is the only scene of it they did but just redid over and over until they got it right. I wonder who's underwear it was or just some pair laying around the set.

I thought Penny's reaction was perfect. Screaming or throwing underwear across the room would have been an overreaction and too childish, IMO.

I thought Penny's reaction was perfect. Screaming or throwing underwear across the room would have been an overreaction and too childish, IMO.

Well screaming and throwing it would be a natural reaction to realizing that you're holding Howard's underwear.

Anyone else wonder why the guys don't go to see a hawking lecture at the university, since that is why he was supposedly there? Sheldon could have gone to a lecture and tried to meet him that way.

I know I'm being technical here, but just something that occured to me.

Anyone else wonder why the guys don't go to see a hawking lecture at the university, since that is why he was supposedly there? Sheldon could have gone to a lecture and tried to meet him that way.

That would be nice but that would make the episode longer or cut out something.

Yeah, but then Howard couldn't have tortured Sheldon which was what the writers saw as the whole comedic point of the episode.

We are argueing about how a man got urine on his belt buckle for God's sake. I'm going to go with what Howard said and leave it at that.

I need a "like" button for this one.

I'd push that button! :)

But so many posts get into the insignificant as if any of it were important.

Don't analyze the scenes, enjoy them!

No "What if's"... just take the scenes as they are presented.

That would be the right thing to do :icon_cheesygrin:...but they had to come up with a funny ep, right?

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

There actually WAS an actual Hawking lecture at Calltech, that bit was actually true. Out of the cast the only one who attended was Mayim (and let's be honest, she must be the only one who would understand it) and also Bill and Steve Molaro were there-. (don't know about Chuck though).

To me, it does make more sense that he would try to meet him not on the Lecture itself. A lecture by Stephen Hawking is bound to a lot of attendance, and a lot of them would be trying to give him papers, meet him, or ask him questions. Sheldon waiting for the Lecture to meet him would really narrow down to almost zero his chances to actually meet him and talk to him.

Sheldon waiting for the Lecture to meet him would really narrow down to almost zero his chances to actually meet him and talk to him.

Agreed.

Yeah mayim would be the only one that would any idea what he is saying or come close to understanding it, and for Sheldon it would make more sense if he tried to see hawking in a more private setting and present his paper and talk to him.

Well, this show is known for exaggerating lots of things, that's what makes the jokes funny. For example, all the jokes about how fat Howard's mom is. I doubt she's SO fat that she can step on her own breasts. And Howard's shortness has been joked about in this way many times on the show.

I love your signature!

It's creative, empathic, relates to the show and head and shoulders above any screen grabs.

Funny you mention that, I once was browsing the forum while in bed, and then I got mesmerized looking at my signature. When I woke up, it was morning. Holy crap, Soft Kitty works! xD

Funny you mention that, I once was browsing the forum while in bed, and then I got mesmerized looking at my signature. When I woke up, it was morning. Holy crap, Soft Kitty works! xD

It is very cute indeed.

Didn't like this one.

It's a good episode in theory, nice guest appearance, amusing situation with Sheldon and Howard.

but the end product, what the episode actually is: not funny.

The show should stick to the guys getting into socially awkward situations. That was my favourite part of the show.

The humor, I like unexpected humor, like when it surprises you. The humor in this episode is the complete opposite. It's very old fashioned really. ("LOL SHELDON FELL DOWN!")

Agree with you here

Doesn't really make much sense either, the gags with Sheldon & Howard. I mean the amusing part of the chores/things Howard makes him do, is supposed to be derived from how Sheldon feels about it IMO.

Without that feeling there is no tension whatsoever and the humor is nonexistant unless you're dumb enough to not care about logically what the characters feelings would be.

For the belt buckles, they said Sheldon had an infinite patience in a recent episode. I'm sure he wouldn't mind polishing thousands of belt buckles in one session.

I think it'd make more sense for him to enjoy it, actually.

And the other part of the gag, that Howard brings out so many. Honestly, who didn't expect that?

"Hey Sheldon, I need you to shine my belt buckles, I have all five of them here."

You'd have to be a half wit to find that bit amusing.

and the other gag, the maid costume. Pretty stupid.

"LOL LOOK! SHELDON IS WEARING WOMENS CLOTHING! HE'S WEARING A SILLY COSTUME! HAHAHAA"

So stupid.

In many other episodes, Sheldon makes a complete fool of himself in public without even being aware of it.

He doesn't seem to understand or care when he's acting strange or unreasonable.

Why would be embarrassed to be seen in that outfit?

There's no tension.

I think that was done for the audience to be on Howard's side, and enjoying the reaction of the others regardless of the effect on Sheldon. Im glad to see they kept Sheldon in character in this and other scenes. The other main scene in which they did so was with Howard's mom in the changing room. With any other male character in this or any other sitcom, (Al Bundy, anyone?) the character would have been disgusted at the prospect of shovelling her into a dress. As Sheldon does not judge people based on sex-appeal , however, he showed no major adverse reaction to the task. It was like when S & Amy were in a car previously when Amy tried some eomtional blackmail/reverse psychology to get Sheldon to go with her..and he totally failed to spot it and stayed home. That was a great moment for keeping Sheldon true to character. I also enjoyed the Schadenfreude or reading posts from people giving out about him being so mean and uncaring.

That was one for us who like Sheldon just the way he is, thank you very muchski.

Im surprised nobody has mentioned my favourite line in this ep where Howard, after giveing S the black light..."by the way, for your own peace of mind, you may not want to wave that around the room", with a quick glance at the ceiling...followed by a quick Mr. Bean shuffle from Sheldon before he, too,looks at the ceiling. Excellent old-skool sleazy Howard.