The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.21 The Hawking Excitation (Apr. 5)

How do you rate this episode?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

I didn't really like this episode.especially the part where sheldon had to dress up as a french maid.It was just weird and it wasn't very funny.

Anyone else wonder why the guys don't go to see a hawking lecture at the university, since that is why he was supposedly there? Sheldon could have gone to a lecture and tried to meet him that way.

I know I'm being technical here, but just something that occured to me.

Shhhh, they couldn't do that. It would have been a very short show.

Anyone else wonder why the guys don't go to see a hawking lecture at the university, since that is why he was supposedly there? Sheldon could have gone to a lecture and tried to meet him that way.

Looking at it that way, the whole premise of this story was flawed, because it has been made clear that Sheldon is one of the esteemed scientists in Caltech, so he could have just asked for a short meeting and walked into Prof. Hawking's office one day to show him his paper. There was no need to go through Howard, or even for a lecture.

They just took the kind of comedic license which was taken in Linear Hadron Collision, where Sheldon could easily have got a visit in CERN himself, but the story was built around his being desperate to go with Leonard, as if that was the only way he could get there.

Looking at it that way, the whole premise of this story was flawed, because it has been made clear that Sheldon is one of the esteemed scientists in Caltech, so he could have just asked for a short meeting and walked into Prof. Hawking's office one day to show him his paper. There was no need to go through Howard, or even for a lecture.

They just took the kind of comedic license which was taken in Linear Hadron Collision, where Sheldon could easily have got a visit in CERN himself, but the story was built around his being desperate to go with Leonard, as if that was the only way he could get there.

Good points. Seems like with sheldon's status, more would be happening in his job. So far, the trip to the north pole has been the only big thing.

And, when sheldon makes discoveries, we usually don't hear anything more about it. Like in the episode where he is working at the cheesecake factory and he says "it's a wave!" seems like he came up with something pretty good? we will never know!

Good points. Seems like with sheldon's status, more would be happening in his job. So far, the trip to the north pole has been the only big thing.

Well, and the Chancellor's award.

I do want to hear of further achievements. The paper about the Higgs boson as a black hole moving backwards in time could have been a breakthrough, but he messed that up too with the arithmetic mistake.

And, when sheldon makes discoveries, we usually don't hear anything more about it. Like in the episode where he is working at the cheesecake factory and he says "it's a wave!" seems like he came up with something pretty good? we will never know!

What happened was that Sheldon got scooped. If you remember, he was studying the properties of graphene in early 2010, and made his exciting discovery; and a few months later, two other scientists got the Physics Nobel for their research in graphene.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2010/

Who's to say they didn't steal Sheldon's work? :)

Nail on the head, Pomita. That is exactly the way they write this show. An episode revolves around a single idea and whatever jokes they can get out of it. If they have to ignore past shows, character traits, or good science that is what they will do, providing the idea or jokes are good enough. It is a successful model for a show as the ratings prove.

Just watched this episode (UK Pace). Overall a good episode

liked the Sheldon & Howard parts but you knew what was

going to happen! And I saw most of the Stephen Hawking scene in

the ad! :)

What happened was that Sheldon got scooped. If you remember, he was studying the properties of graphene in early 2010, and made his exciting discovery; and a few months later, two other scientists got the Physics Nobel for their research in graphene.

Basssstads! :icon_lol:

Basssstads! :icon_lol:

And Novoselov talked about Sheldon's work in detail in his Nobel lecture, even putting up a picture of Sheldon going crazy. :p

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2010/novoselov_lecture.pdf

Scroll down to page 120/121.

I liked this episode. Steven Hawking invented time… God I love Penny!

That was the laugh of the episode for me. Frankly I was dreading this one - I hate stunt casting, Stan Lee, Leonard Nimoy and now Stephen Hawking. No more please unless it's Adam West - but t'weren't too bad.

The truth is there are only a handful of theoretical physicists in the world. Like less than 150. They all know each other and Hawking would have already known Sheldon's work. Sheldon would have been on Hawking's todo list if he was coming to Caltec. But that wouldn't have made very good comedy.

The truth is there are only a handful of theoretical physicists in the world. Like less than 150. They all know each other and Hawking would have already known Sheldon's work. Sheldon would have been on Hawking's todo list if he was coming to Caltec. But that wouldn't have made very good comedy.

Sigh. So it looks like we are left with 2 choices.

Either the real world of physics is no longer considered of interest for the show, or Sheldon isn't really that good at physics - he only thinks he is.

True.

I see it as the kind of 'comedic license' they took in the LHC episode, when for the sake of laughs they showed Sheldon to be apparently dependent on Leonard's offer for visiting the LHC. It made no sense, since as an eminent scientist, he could have applied for and got a visit himself, even a funded visit. Well, at least partially funded, given the state of the economy in both US and Europe nowadays!

True.

I see it as the kind of 'comedic license' they took in the LHC episode, when for the sake of laughs they showed Sheldon to be apparently dependent on Leonard's offer for visiting the LHC. It made no sense, since as an eminent scientist, he could have applied for and got a visit himself, even a funded visit. Well, at least partially funded, given the state of the economy in both US and Europe nowadays!

Hawking is very published and occupies Newton's seat at Oxford. Sheldon occupies that same seat at Caltech and that is no small thing. He would have needed to be highly published as well. Because it's a comedy we didn't really get any background on Sheldon. That Caltech seat is among a dozen or so peer seats in the world. And, whoever sits in that Caltech seat would likely have had much to do with Cern and the collider even before it was built. He would be able to walk in whenever he liked. None of that really lends itself to comedy however.

True.

Hawking is very published and occupies Newton's seat at Oxford. Sheldon occupies that same seat at Caltech and that is no small thing. He would have needed to be highly published as well. Because it's a comedy we didn't really get any background on Sheldon. That Caltech seat is among a dozen or so peer seats in the world. And, whoever sits in that Caltech seat would likely have had much to do with Cern and the collider even before it was built. He would be able to walk in whenever he liked. None of that really lends itself to comedy however.

Ah, the shows unrealistic anyway, it's dreamland. Penny would never have hung out with the 'weirdos' across the hall in the first place, let alone date one. She would have her own life. Most nerds wouldn't want to date a girl like Penny either, she's too conventional. And she's would hate Sheldon, who wouldn't? :icon_cheesygrin:

I wonder what the real Caltech Head Experimental Physicist thinks of the show. Probably highly assumed. :icon_cheesygrin:

True.

Was this mentioned on the show (that Sheldon occupies that particular Caltech seat)? I can't seem to recall it.

I'm with Pomita on also wondering about Sheldon's Caltech seat? Any further info you can shed, wayelrob?

When he applies for a "menial" job to help solve his graphene problem, he mentions to the lady his last job was "Senior Particle Theorist".

@Syd: ahhh... so would that put him in a position to chair at Caltech? (sry, I'm not versed on how the US University system works)

He said he was a senior theoretical particle physicist, if I recall. Does that denote a particular seat or position at Caltech? Most of the senior faculties at my institute would call themselves that, for example.

He said he was a senior theoretical particle physicist, if I recall. Does that denote a particular seat or position at Caltech? Most of the senior faculties at my institute would call themselves that, for example.

Not sure if that is a "seat", but he is definitely the top dog at the university in the realm of particle physics. He would so easily be allowed to go the LHC anytime he wanted. Unless... there's a restraining order from someone in charge of the LHC against him. But, then he wouldn't have been able to go with Leonard anyway...

Not sure if that is a "seat", but he is definitely the top dog at the university in the realm of particle physics. He would so easily be allowed to go the LHC anytime he wanted. Unless... there's a restraining order from someone in charge of the LHC against him. But, then he wouldn't have been able to go with Leonard anyway...

Yes, this was my point too. I don't know if he occupies a particular position, but he's certainly supposed to be an esteemed theoretical physicist ('the board of directors insists he's a brilliant mind'), and therefore shouldn't have the slightest problem in meeting Hawking or visiting LHC on his own terms.

But these were two of the occasions when they adopted the motto 'anything for a laugh'. :)

True.

Was this mentioned on the show (that Sheldon occupies that particular Caltech seat)? I can't seem to recall it.

No, it wasn't. Sorry, my presumption, considering his mentioned degrees and the tolerance shown him by management. Maybe the seat is held by the naked old guy who retired. Sheldon has been referred to as a/the senior theoretical physicist. Still it is only my presumption that he is the most senior. In any case he is obviously not junior, and my point that he would be well known by the top physicists in the world still holds true.

True.

No, it wasn't. Sorry, my presumption, considering his mentioned degrees and the tolerance shown him by management. Maybe the seat is held by the naked old guy who retired. Sheldon has been referred to as a/the senior theoretical physicist. Still it is only my presumption that he is the most senior. In any case he is obviously not junior, and my point that he would be well known by the top physicists in the world still holds true.

I agree. This was my first thought after the Hawking episode, though I did enjoy it very much (not the least because my idol featured in it).