5.22 The Stag Convergence (Apr. 26)

How do you rate this episode?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

I don't agree with the earlier post that they are running out of funny ideas because of how long the series has been running. There have been awesome moments in season 5, and if you have read any of my other posts, I usually defend season 5 and the changes to the characters. But, unlike two and a half men, which needs to go off the air, this series has so much more they can still do. That is what is so cool about it, this show still remains fresh because of the originality of the characters and because it is so unique. They still have so much room for many more awesome stories and character development. All you have to do is read some of the ideas here on this forum to see that with an outstanding cast like this, it would not be too hard to keep this series going for much, much longer and still keep it good.

I am not by no means saying that I could ever write an episode of big bang. But, I feel the writers could have done so much more with the scenerio for this episode. Not only were we cheated, but they have also cheated some brilliant actors that can pull off anything, if it is written and directed well. It was just such a waste of talent (except for the howard speech).

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How could you narrow it down to just 101?It must be approaching 1,000,001 by now.

I don't know if I liked it or not.

"Jeepers, that's yucky" was hilarious and I laughed. I didn't laugh otherwise.

I thought the entire opening was boring.

Too many sex jokes/comments from Leonard. TOO MANY. I'm disappointed on that front.

Just about every one has many sex jokes.

wheaton meddleds in relationship

of howard/bernadette. she has

cold feet, whats on the internet.

Looks like you're wrong.

ok-the forum is speculation of what will happen

in each episode that is listed.:icon_lol:

IT MUST BE HARD TO BE ON TOP OF THE HILL

ALL THE TIME. YOU ARE NEVER WRONG

I don't post very often, but I was so disappointed in this episode that I had to log in to say so.

What are they doing with Sheldon's character? I can't tell if it's the way he's being written or if it's Jim's portrayal of Sheldon or a combination of the two, but I don't like it.

This is my favorite show, so I think I've been in denial that this season has been so awful. I keep hoping it'll return to its roots, that the writers will re-discover the characters I fell in love with. Sadly, though, after nearly an entire season of this, I think it's safe to say that the show has changed. It's no longer the show it was in the first three seasons, and it doesn't look like they're going to return to that.

I don't post very often, but I was so disappointed in this episode that I had to log in to say so.

What are they doing with Sheldon's character? I can't tell if it's the way he's being written or if it's Jim's portrayal of Sheldon or a combination of the two, but I don't like it.

This is my favorite show, so I think I've been in denial that this season has been so awful. I keep hoping it'll return to its roots, that the writers will re-discover the characters I fell in love with. Sadly, though, after nearly an entire season of this, I think it's safe to say that the show has changed. It's no longer the show it was in the first three seasons, and it doesn't look like they're going to return to that.

I agree with you. It eventually happens to most sitcoms. I think the writers got bored with the original Sheldon and are trying to change and "humanize" him by giving him a girlfriend, among other things. That might be fine if he was an actual human being but he's not, he's a character in a TV show and the changed version just isn't funny. I hope they realize their mistake before irreversible damage is done to the character.

But there are a lot of people out here who actually like the new Sheldon. I just don't get it.

For those of you that want to go back to the way things were, I'm not trying to start an argument, simply trying to present some facts. Every entity in the universe must change and grow in some direction or it stagnates and dies. By entity I mean people, organizations, worlds, politics, sitcoms, absolutely everything. Even the universe is expanding and growing, TBBT anyone?

As far as Sheldon goes, we have a choice, keep him the same as in the first season and by the end of the second season, the show is off the air. The same with the Lenny relationship. The Big Bang Theory is about the universe expanding and growing after all, right? Isn't that what the sitcom TBBT is about? The growth of a bunch of nerds from nerds into regular people?

Now, given that Sheldon must grow and change (please, please accept that as a fact) which direction do you want him to grow? More like the original Sheldon, OCD and uncaring, childlike, arrogant and rude? Or would you prefer to see him grow more human, more socially adept? He is a genius after all, he can learn. All of us that were nerds have taken a journey, usually towards more humanistic, socially acceptable personalities. Please remember that "no man is an island". None of us can exist in isolation, in order continue to live we must grow towards other people.

I particularly loved Howard's apology to Bernadette. It truly showed how much he has grown. That one scene made the whole show for me.

For those of you that want to go back to the way things were, I'm not trying to start an argument, simply trying to present some facts. Every entity in the universe must change and grow in some direction or it stagnates and dies. By entity I mean people, organizations, worlds, politics, sitcoms, absolutely everything. Even the universe is expanding and growing, TBBT anyone?

As far as Sheldon goes, we have a choice, keep him the same as in the first season and by the end of the second season, the show is off the air. The same with the Lenny relationship. The Big Bang Theory is about the universe expanding and growing after all, right? Isn't that what the sitcom TBBT is about? The growth of a bunch of nerds from nerds into regular people?

Completely agree.

Now, given that Sheldon must grow and change (please, please accept that as a fact) which direction do you want him to grow? More like the original Sheldon, OCD and uncaring, childlike, arrogant and rude? Or would you prefer to see him grow more human, more socially adept? He is a genius after all, he can learn. All of us that were nerds have taken a journey, usually towards more humanistic, socially acceptable personalities. Please remember that "no man is an island". None of us can exist in isolation, in order continue to live we must grow towards other people.

Or, as Amy would say, 'Until you manage to upload your intelligence into a self-sustaining, orbiting satellite equipped with high-speed internet and a cloaking device, you will be dependent on the human race'. :) Sheldon seems to be very gradually getting into the hang of accepting this fact.

I particularly loved Howard's apology to Bernadette. It truly showed how much he has grown. That one scene made the whole show for me.

Very true. To me Howard's positive changes are a good sign that they can handle the 'humanizing' aspect in an appealing way. I mean, he was a socially awkward nerd as well as the biggest horndog, and look where he is now. I know some people want him to go back to frustrated horndog, too, but I'm not sure if anyone who feels some degree of love or investment in these characters could wish that on them. He's clearly happier now - like Sheldon is because of Amy.

You completely missed my point - these are not real people, they are characters in a TV show. OCD and uncaring, childlike, arrogant and rude Sheldon is funny. Humanistic, socially acceptable personality, growing towards other people, happy Sheldon is NOT funny. Nerds interacting with regular people is funny. Nerds becoming regular people is NOT funny. And the point of a sitcom is to be funny, not to be a feel-good journey of growth. That undermines the basis of what made the show successful.

I liked the first seasons of the show. I don't care for the current version because it's not funny anymore. I guess we have different expectations from the show. Just my opinion.

You completely missed my point - these are not real people, they are characters in a TV show. OCD and uncaring, childlike, arrogant and rude Sheldon is funny. Humanistic, socially acceptable personality, growing towards other people, happy Sheldon is NOT funny. Nerds interacting with regular people is funny. Nerds becoming real people is NOT funny. And the point of a sitcom is to be funny, not to be a feel-good journey of growth. That undermines the basis of what made the show successful.

I liked the first seasons of the show. I don't care for the current version because it's not funny anymore. I guess we have different expectations from the show. Just my opinion.

To me, Sheldon being obnoxious and completely disinterested in social interactions, and Sheldon taking his first awkward steps into a relationship and social/emotional growth, are funny in different ways. Again, just my opinion.

I agree that the show is taking a risk in trying to portray that change, because some people won't like it, but I feel (and apparently Jim Parsons feels) that it adds more depth and complexity to the characterization. More characters, and more dimensions to each character, means a greater probability of keeping the show fresh over several years. There are only so many ways to show Sheldon being arrogant and quirky - just because the writers could successfully draw out that one-note concept over 3 years doesn't mean they could do it over 7 or 8 years. And if they did, would it be consistently interesting for us to watch, or for the actors to play?

Just my opinion, but does Penny not know how to be tender to Leonard at all? To me, the more tender moments would be where true chemistry would come through. Penny seemed to be torn apart with the Leonard/Priya pairing, yet, when they get back together for the "beta test", she doesn't seem to be able to be anything but snarky with Leonard. To me, moments like in season 3 (I believe) when she calls Leonard her little homunculus is a bit of tenderness that was cute. Now, there are only put-downs or disinterest. I don't get it. I enjoy the Leonard/Penny pairing, but it seems they are taking them nowhere or backwards.

Other than that, I thought the episode was "ok".

I disagree Penny knows how to be tender with Leonard and the rest of the gang.

As I said on the other post, I have no problem with sheldon changing and character growth as long as they don't lose the essence of his character that made him funny. I feel they did that well in season 4, but I am not happy with the latter part of season 5, especially the last episode. He can grow and change, but he still needs to be sheldon, and he still needs to be funny.

Agreed with 1st statement! But they have been taking it to the extreme in this season imo. It could go more gradually & not loose sight of what he is portraying

2nd part about sums up what I thought about the episode. I laughed out loud about 2 or 3 times & it was all happening in the girls segment.

Howard's part was what saved the show for me personally as I thought the party in itself was a big letdown..

@supersonic it's not surprising since Howard is the one that needed to change the most.

@kryzz I don't get why people would say this it's not like Jim has this power, I don't blame Kaley for Penny not having more character growth or Johnny about Leonard or the others.

I'm with a lot of you here.

The episode wasn't worth the waiting ... it was okay, but not very well written.

I understand that it may be necessary for the whole Bernadette/Howard-wedding to bring these to characters forward, but that's no excuse for not having the other character's be funny as always.

Laughs were really rare this epsiode and actually came up on this whole Leonard/Penny thing when they talked about crazy sexual experiences and on their final scene that i liked. But all over the writers aren't developing this whole L/P thing in the last epsiodes, it's always Leonard trying to go faster and Penny holding him back ... but as spoilers say, hopefully there will be something on that case in the next episode :)

But it's quite annoying that so many people always complain about the current season, it had a lot of great episodes with funny moments and it also had some of these "okay" epsiodes that weren't as good as the others. But somehow a lot of people seem to forget that every season had those kind of episodes, here in Germany we are still having season 1 - 4 reruns and there are quite a few episodes i saw through the last weeks that weren't any better than this one.

But overall i'll go with BazingaFan :) Hopefully the next 2 episodes will be better.

It's not Penny is holding him back it's Leonard got too serious and that's why they broke up the first time so this time they're taking it slow.

Matt's got a point here. Being constantly funny over 24 episodes per season is a bit much to ask. 

Only just managed to see this episode and it's okay, not amazing. It answered a question I was having about Howard getting married and why Bernadette would want to marry him at all. Very important to note he made his apology in front of Penny, who needed to hear it, in order to see him in a new light.

I do not like Sheldon drunk, never have. He has a bad reaction to alcohol. The Pants Alternative makes me cringe as well even though his acting is great. Also in The Grasshopper Experiment when he gets on the piano after Penny spikes his cola, horrible. So as soon as Sheldon picked up that whiskey I thought 'oh boy, here we go!'.

On the whole, not a standout episode. They seem to be syncing up the couples. Giving each pair their own distinction. Leonard has become nerdier again which is working better with Penny. Amy and Sheldon are just oddballs. Raj is an unknown quantity. I agree with much of HeWolf's post, where did the threesome come from? And they missed a great opportunity with the stag party scene. I've made a few posts over the changes to Sheldon this season so I won't repeat here. He is attempting to fit in, something he never would have considered in the past.

At least we won't have to wait three weeks for the next one. Hence the long thread. 

If Leonard is being nerdier then good because he always acted ashamed that he was a nerd and not accepting who he is and that's sad.

Also I was disappointed that there was no stwippas at the party,LOL.

The strippers could have been cult heroines, wonderwoman, supergirl and catwoman. Sheldon could criticise the inaccuracies of their costumes and Raj could join in. Although I'm not sure that would necessarily be a good thing.

I guess proving Howard is a changed man was the point of the exercise and unless the strippers were completely gnarly looking (which would have worked) it wouldn't have made the point it did. Either way, nerds can have fun and it seemed like a dull evening. The girls included.

It would've been interesting to see if they had real life adult entertainers for the entertainment.

I don't agree with the earlier post that they are running out of funny ideas because of how long the series has been running. There have been awesome moments in season 5, and if you have read any of my other posts, I usually defend season 5 and the changes to the characters. But, unlike two and a half men, which needs to go off the air, this series has so much more they can still do. That is what is so cool about it, this show still remains fresh because of the originality of the characters and because it is so unique. They still have so much room for many more awesome stories and character development. All you have to do is read some of the ideas here on this forum to see that with an outstanding cast like this, it would not be too hard to keep this series going for much, much longer and still keep it good.

I am not by no means saying that I could ever write an episode of big bang. But, I feel the writers could have done so much more with the scenerio for this episode. Not only were we cheated, but they have also cheated some brilliant actors that can pull off anything, if it is written and directed well. It was just such a waste of talent (except for the howard speech).

Unlike this but two and a half is over 10 seasons and I agree it nerds to go off, they should've ended it after Charlie left is like Sheldon leaving.

I don't know if I liked it or not.

"Jeepers, that's yucky" was hilarious and I laughed. I didn't laugh otherwise.

I thought the entire opening was boring.

Too many sex jokes/comments from Leonard. TOO MANY. I'm disappointed on that front.

Just about every one has many sex jokes.

wheaton meddleds in relationship

of howard/bernadette. she has

cold feet, whats on the internet.

Looks like you're wrong.

ok-the forum is speculation of what will happen

in each episode that is listed.:icon_lol:

IT MUST BE HARD TO BE ON TOP OF THE HILL

ALL THE TIME. YOU ARE NEVER WRONG

I think it's to comment on the episode that aired.

@djvang Sheldon was never uncaring he just didn't know the difference or what he was doing might be wrong.

Just as a generalisation - re American and UK comedy, I think one of the double edged swords of good American comedies (and dramas), is they don't know when to quit. They end up running a ridiculous amount of seasons well past the shows greatness - a good example being Two and a Half Men. The double edged sword is the fans never want it to end - and I am the same with TBBT!

When you look at UK comedy, much of it runs a short/er spell and then finishes while still on top. Most famously something like Faulty Towers...twelve incredible episodes and then gone!

I am being devil's advocate, because I really do love TBBT, but maybe this will be another one of these shows that doesn't know/wont know when to quit.

Matt

I am with you there Matt

IT Crowd, finished after 4 Series AND they will have an hour long Xmas special to wrap it all up

Black Adder

Fawlty Towers

Extras

The Office (UK)

and the latter shows exactly what happens in UK and American TV

The British UK will become an all time classic TV Series, while the U.S. Office was grasping at straws by season 4

I tend to like than dislike U.S. TV shows by the 4th season anyway...with the Big Bang Theory is was more due to the 4th season finale but it was still getting a bit stale in the middle

I would love a network exec that says...we will have one show on for a set period and then another series, so each series has 12 episodes

That way it stays fresh, you might get cheaper, more creative people in the process, etc.

But it wont happen, it is about $$$

Ok, so I have only just seen the episode...so late because of computer problems....but i'm glad i have more or less the same opinion like most of you. I expected more from this episode but I think it was a bit boring. And I understand Krypkie and Stuart being there, but Will Wheaton? It seemed a bit streched out because him and Howard aren't really good friends. That seemed a bit forced to me. All in all, I loved Sheldon's suit :icon_cheesygrin::icon_lol:

Just as a generalisation - re American and UK comedy, I think one of the double edged swords of good American comedies (and dramas), is they don't know when to quit. They end up running a ridiculous amount of seasons well past the shows greatness - a good example being Two and a Half Men. The double edged sword is the fans never want it to end - and I am the same with TBBT!

When you look at UK comedy, much of it runs a short/er spell and then finishes while still on top. Most famously something like Faulty Towers...twelve incredible episodes and then gone!

I am being devil's advocate, because I really do love TBBT, but maybe this will be another one of these shows that doesn't know/wont know when to quit.

Matt

I am with you there Matt

IT Crowd, finished after 4 Series AND they will have an hour long Xmas special to wrap it all up

Black Adder

Fawlty Towers

Extras

The Office (UK)

and the latter shows exactly what happens in UK and American TV

The British UK will become an all time classic TV Series, while the U.S. Office was grasping at straws by season 4

I tend to like than dislike U.S. TV shows by the 4th season anyway...with the Big Bang Theory is was more due to the 4th season finale but it was still getting a bit stale in the middle

I would love a network exec that says...we will have one show on for a set period and then another series, so each series has 12 episodes

That way it stays fresh, you might get cheaper, more creative people in the process, etc.

But it wont happen, it is about $$$

Well the 12 episodes are a awful idea, the amount of reruns would be too much, there wouldn't be two new episodes in a row.

So I finally got to watching the episode, and my reaction was "meh". It was okay, I laughed a couple of times, and I found Howard's apology very sweet (although if I were Bernadette I wouldn't have married him - while I love seeing change from my fictional characters, I do not believe in fundamental change of actual human beings, what you see is what you usually get).

The episode lacked something to be truly enjoyable... The great episodes usually have some unforgettable moments, whether of "laugh out loud" or "go awwww that's the sweetest thing" variety... But this episode was forgettable. The only moment worthy of rememberance was Howard's apology to Bernadette, but even that wasn't mind-blowingly awesome.

Or maybe it's going to these forums. We overanalyze, and wait, and then when the actual under 30 minutes episode finally rolls out, it can't live up to the expectations.

So I finally got to watching the episode, and my reaction was "meh". It was okay, I laughed a couple of times, and I found Howard's apology very sweet (although if I were Bernadette I wouldn't have married him - while I love seeing change from my fictional characters, I do not believe in fundamental change of actual human beings, what you see is what you usually get).

The episode lacked something to be truly enjoyable... The great episodes usually have some unforgettable moments, whether of "laugh out loud" or "go awwww that's the sweetest thing" variety... But this episode was forgettable. The only moment worthy of rememberance was Howard's apology to Bernadette, but even that wasn't mind-blowingly awesome.

Or maybe it's going to these forums. We overanalyze, and wait, and then when the actual under 30 minutes episode finally rolls out, it can't live up to the expectations.

I don't think it's the forums, this episode was just not up to the usual par. My husband doesn't follow the forums or anything and when this episode was over, he said it wasn't very good.

I don't think it's the forums, this episode was just not up to the usual par. My husband doesn't follow the forums or anything and when this episode was over, he said it wasn't very good.

Probably... Something IS wrong with the episode when apart from Howard the only other thing I can remember is Stuart stealing money! :icon_lol:

I would give a 4 out of 10 for this episode.

heres why

- Sheldon sucked really bad and was not funny at all. He has changed a lot in the last 5 episodes.

- Where did the 3some come from ? Howard and Raj backed out when that Dr.Plimpton wanted to have a foursome with her..so yea, that was weird.

- Howard is not funny anymore. I thought he was hilarious when he was pervy and disgusting but now..just no.

I hate when shows do that, when they'll bring something up that happened in the past, but we as viewers didn't see it or know of it, so it doesn't always make sense or align with other events. it's one of those inconsistencies, and a major one (a 3some!) at that.

I hate when shows do that, when they'll bring something up that happened in the past, but we as viewers didn't see it or know of it, so it doesn't always make sense or align with other events. it's one of those inconsistencies, and a major one (a 3some!) at that.

I agree it is a bit bothersome, but it didn't necessarily have to have been brought up in previous episodes. I'm sure it's something they didn't care to discuss amongst each other. They all obviously got more drunk than usual in this episode, so these things finally came out, and it is not something that Howard was proud of. Who knows what else may have gone on between Howard and Raj that has yet to be revealed.