5.22 The Stag Convergence (Apr. 26)

How do you rate this episode?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

IMO Sheldon's sister wasn't interested in Raj or any of the other guys. She was jerking his chain.

Really? How do you know? She said she was happy to see Raj, while she blew off the others.

She had to say that in order to setup the medication wearing off joke. That's the way these writers work. Has nothing to do with the character it's all about the humor.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How could you narrow it down to just 101?It must be approaching 1,000,001 by now.

it was great that howard made is

heartfelt speech in front of penny,

they were not the best of friends.

she as warmed up to him, he gave

marriage proposal to her friend.

I agree. Penny somewhat disliked Howard (or had a lesser opinion of him) for a looonnnng time. She clearly has warmed up to him over time and it was cool to see that happen.

IMO Sheldon's sister wasn't interested in Raj or any of the other guys. She was jerking his chain.

Really? How do you know? She said she was happy to see Raj, while she blew off the others.

IMO means my opinion. If I "knew" I would have said it was a fact. My "OPINION" is based on the way she was smiling when he couldn't talk to him. It looked to me like she was jerking his chain and wasn't interested in any of the guys.

Maybe they haven't removed his mutism for that very reason, they don't know what they might unleash. A stud nerd. Is there such a thing?

Can you be a stud that's nerdy?

Rick you're the only one that thinks that, Missy said something like I'm glad you showed up how is this jerking his chain while she flat out said no to Leonard and Howard.

It was jerking his chain because all he had to do in order to go out with her was talk, and she KNEW that he couldn't. Also, just because no one else has said the same here, it does not mean that I am the only one who thinks that. This thread is not the whole world.

Then why did she say hi cutie pie I was hoping you'd show up, plus raj had the medicine in him that allowed him to talk to women and Missy didn't know it was wearing off your reasoning is invalid due to the fact Missy had no problem shooting down Leonard and Howard before they could even finish asking, maybe Missy did want a little mocha.

I don't know if I liked it or not.

"Jeepers, that's yucky" was hilarious and I laughed. I didn't laugh otherwise.

I thought the entire opening was boring.

Too many sex jokes/comments from Leonard. TOO MANY. I'm disappointed on that front.

You're complaining about the sex jokes you should be happy compared to Lorre's other shows this show is the tamest.

I didn't like it too much, it wasn't funny at all.

And Sheldon is definitely not Sheldon anymore.

I just wanted to congratulate you on your excellent username. Excellent. Well done.

That's all.

You are excused.

Then why did she say hi cutie pie I was hoping you'd show up, plus raj had the medicine in him that allowed him to talk to women and Missy didn't know it was wearing off your reasoning is invalid due to the fact Missy had no problem shooting down Leonard and Howard before they could even finish asking, maybe Missy did want a little mocha.

You are looking at this wrong, in my opinion. They don't write like that. They had a joke in mind. His medication was going to wear off just after she looks like she wanted him. She had to do that. It was the setup for the joke. Has nothing to do with the character. It wouldn't have been funny if she said, "oh hi, it's you," and then his meds wore off.

You are looking at this wrong, in my opinion. They don't write like that. They had a joke in mind. His medication was going to wear off just after she looks like she wanted him. She had to do that. It was the setup for the joke. Has nothing to do with the character. It wouldn't have been funny if she said, "oh hi, it's you," and then his meds wore off.

Or you're looking into it way too much, oh the writing called for her to say that.

Or you're looking into it way too much, oh the writing called for her to say that.

No, actually we have tons of evidence that they write this way. How many out of character things have been done to set up a joke? They completely ignore continuity. They put things in that seem important because they are funny and you never see any reference to them again. Case in point, "after the wedding date, Amy thinks Leonard is in love with her and would be letting him down the next day." You ever hear anything about that again? She said it because it was funny. They never had any intention of having any such confrontation, nor did Amy ever again show any inkling that she though Leonard was in love with her. It was a setup for a joke and then it was done and forgotten.

@wayelrob, that's a good point. There are quite a few instances of discontinuities simply for a joke but there is also the situation where the joke becomes the basis for another storyline. That happens quite often also. I like that about the show because you see a discontinuity like that and it's enough of a disruption to make you sit up and take notice but then you don't know if it's the basis of another storyline starting or simply a one time joke.

That's one of the great things about TBBT. There is the overriding story line of personal development of all the characters in regards to relationships which has been a thread through the entire show. There are the smaller storylines which thread through a few shows up to a couple of seasons and then there are the single show jokes that come up in a single episode but don't go anywhere.

You see one of these jokes but you don't know if it's a one time thing or the beginning of another short term story line.

@wayelrob, that's a good point. There are quite a few instances of discontinuities simply for a joke but there is also the situation where the joke becomes the basis for another storyline. That happens quite often also. I like that about the show because you see a discontinuity like that and it's enough of a disruption to make you sit up and take notice but then you don't know if it's the basis of another storyline starting or simply a one time joke.

That's one of the great things about TBBT. There is the overriding story line of personal development of all the characters in regards to relationships which has been a thread through the entire show. There are the smaller storylines which thread through a few shows up to a couple of seasons and then there are the single show jokes that come up in a single episode but don't go anywhere.

You see one of these jokes but you don't know if it's a one time thing or the beginning of another short term story line.

I agree. For example, I really hadn't thought that they would carry the theme of Howard's space travel right to its logical conclusion. When it was introduced in Russian Rocket, I thought it was just a device to create the Howard/Bernadette dispute in the story.

But to their credit, he actually got to lifting off!

Even Amy's introduction at the end of season 3 could have been a one-time gag, but it bloomed into a complete character and relationship arc.

I agree. For example, I really hadn't thought that they would carry the theme of Howard's space travel right to its logical conclusion. When it was introduced in Russian Rocket, I thought it was just a device to create the Howard/Bernadette dispute in the story.

Even Amy's introduction at the end of season 3 could have been a one-time gag, but it bloomed into a complete character and relationship arc.

That's a good point. I don't think we've seen the last of the space travel bit. For one thing someone else suggested that Howard get an honorary PhD. That would really chap Sheldon's derriere. Both of those could provide the basis for numerous jokes.

That's a good point. I don't think we've seen the last of the space travel bit. For one thing someone else suggested that Howard get an honorary PhD. That would really chap Sheldon's derriere. Both of those could provide the basis for numerous jokes.

You bet it would. :) But do people get honorary doctorates for traveling in space? I don't know. They could certainly do it for the sake of the comedy!

The thing about honorary degrees are that they are honorary. The person who receives such a degree does not have the right to the title of Doctor. I am sure that Sheldon would be quick to point that out to Howard. On the other had, Howard would have the right to refer to himself as an astronaut, something that very few if any of the people at the university where he works can do. In the Howard/Leonard/Sheldon/Raj crowd, being an astronaut carries a great deal of street cred.

True, and given that he wasn't exactly being modest about it before leaving (even when it was 'almost'), I'm thinking the others (especially Sheldon) won't hear the end of it after he comes back!

Thanks. This what it says:

'Honorary graduates may use the approved post-nominal letters. It is not customary, however, for recipients of an honorary doctorate to adopt the prefix 'Dr' .[3] In some universities, it is however a matter of personal preference for an honorary doctor to use the formal title of "Doctor".

So I suppose he could use 'Dr', depending on the custom in Caltech.

Thanks. This what it says:

'Honorary graduates may use the approved post-nominal letters. It is not customary, however, for recipients of an honorary doctorate to adopt the prefix 'Dr' .[3] In some universities, it is however a matter of personal preference for an honorary doctor to use the formal title of "Doctor".

So I suppose he could use 'Dr', depending on the custom in Caltech.

To me anyway, if Howard got an honorary PhD I would consider it just as valid as a regular one. He has an experience now so few people will ever have, surely it gives him a rare expertise in the realities and practicalities of space travel. Kind of like Benjamin Franklin, he just got an honorary degree, but his contributions were perfectly valid science. It wouldn't be the same, to me, as like a poet getting an honory degree.

To me anyway, if Howard got an honorary PhD I would consider it just as valid as a regular one. He has an experience now so few people will ever have, surely it gives him a rare expertise in the realities and practicalities of space travel. Kind of like Benjamin Franklin, he just got an honorary degree, but his contributions were perfectly valid science. It wouldn't be the same, to me, as like a poet getting an honory degree.

I agree with SydNC here. My understanding is that an honorary degree is awarded for extraordinary service to the university. Most times that's because they did work in the field equivalent to a PhD but didn't complete the coursework and dissertation. Experience as opposed to certification.

I'm certain Sheldon wouldn't agree that it was as good as his own PhD but that's the whole basis of the comedic conflict here. Any time anyone does something better than Sheldon it chaps him. Remember back in season 1 (which I am watching again right now) when Penny did so well in Halo. Sheldon stomped off to his bedroom.

I agree with SydNC here. My understanding is that an honorary degree is awarded for extraordinary service to the university. Most times that's because they did work in the field equivalent to a PhD but didn't complete the coursework and dissertation. Experience as opposed to certification.

I'm certain Sheldon wouldn't agree that it was as good as his own PhD but that's the whole basis of the comedic conflict here. Any time anyone does something better than Sheldon it chaps him. Remember back in season 1 (which I am watching again right now) when Penny did so well in Halo. Sheldon stomped off to his bedroom.

I agree. As Leonard said, Sheldon is a sore loser, be it Penny at Halo or Dennis Kim excelling him or Leslie Winkle correcting his work. And especially if it's the 'engineer'.. from the last episode, it did seem lke Sheldon developed some degree of natural respect for him, but if he gives himself airs after coming back (or gets an honorary degree), there might be fireworks. :)

Unfortunately too many Universities give it large donors and politicians, but if Howard received one it would be for actually something that the did. Even if he doesn't get one, so what? The guy's a fricken astronaut! None of those other Earth bound clowns can beat that.

if he gives himself airs after coming back (or gets an honorary degree), there might be fireworks. :)

Oh, you know Howard is going to give himself airs! He already started. "There're not so many people brave enough to do what I almost did" - that was when he thought his flight was cancelled. Now when he actually gets back from the real space, oh my! I'm looking forward to the fireworks. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Just been transmitted in the UK.

Really out of character for Sheldon to drink let alone get drunk. I don't like him moving on, like many on here. However, I am happy to see some development in Howard - I really didn't like him in the earliest episodes - or rather I liked to dislike him. I'm pleased he's grown up at last.

Whats going on with Stuart? I thought all that stuff about his money problems (and then trying to snatch a dollar bill) was a bit grim. I thought he was a bit of a loser but not to this extent.

I laughed out loud about twice this episode - which is below average for an episode of TBBT.