The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.22 The Stag Convergence (Apr. 26)

How do you rate this episode?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

Hewolf that's bull I stand by Sheldon math and himself was full of crap because she started dating at 14 by some made up math she dated close to 200 men that's ridiculous, did he take in count that she dated 2 men for a combined almost 5 years? Of course not.

I don't understand because Sheldon said it that it must be true to some of you.

You are on record as claiming Penny is a goddess so you always insist Sheldon's number is wrong. We don't know. Penny didn't argue with him, and certainly isn't afraid to do so. Is he wrong? I don't know. But you don't either. He could be right. Either way, Penny is no goddess.

Hewolf that's bull I stand by Sheldon math and himself was full of crap because she started dating at 14 by some made up math she dated close to 200 men that's ridiculous, did he take in count that she dated 2 men for a combined almost 5 years? Of course not.

I don't understand because Sheldon said it that it must be true to some of you.

You are on record as claiming Penny is a goddess so you always insist Sheldon's number is wrong. We don't know. Penny didn't argue with him, and certainly isn't afraid to do so. Is he wrong? I don't know. But you don't either. He could be right. Either way, Penny is no goddess.

Yes Penny is a goddess and Sheldon might be wrong or could be right, if he's right it's by considence and his reasoning to get to the number is flawed and where did he get any of the numbers from the beginning from? Where did he get the number to divide from and what does the under curve have anything to do with it? I'm saying is you don't use some formula to figure out how many penny may or may not have had without at least facts. I don't know a woman that wouldn't have done the same thing as penny and dropped it.

Agree with the math or not, IMO the writers intended to leave the audience with the impression that Penny indeed has slept with that many men. Given the circumstances and the way the writer's had Penny react I have a hard time understanding how anyone could come to another conclusion. The writers could have had Sheldon get those numbers by using a ouji board, by the way the writers had Penny react it seems pretty obvious to me at any rate that he was either right on the money or very close to it.

Agree with the math or not, IMO the writers intended to leave the audience with the impression that Penny indeed has slept with that many men. Given the circumstances and the way the writer's had Penny react I have a hard time understanding how anyone could come to another conclusion. The writers could have had Sheldon get those numbers by using a ouji board, by the way the writers had Penny react it seems pretty obvious to me at any rate that he was either right on the money or very close to it.

However Sheldon came to the number he was guessing and if he got close it would be by considence and just because penny didn't sit there and write down ever guy she slept with doesn't mean he's right, I don't know any woman that wasn't discuss her alleged promscuity at anytime much at dinner. Also he only knew penny for three years and we hardly know about what her life was like before so the guys know as much as us.

There is 'back story' for each character that is known only to the writers and actors. What they choose to reveal to the audience is all we know about the character and their lives. Penny has acknowledged a life pattern of poor choices and drunken sexual encounters. How many encounters we don't know. We have not seen Sheldon meeting the men leaving her apartment. We have not seen Sheldon encounter Penny when she comes home from one. But, he (Sheldon) references both. Our not seeing them does not make them a product of his imagination. This is what has been shown to us. We do not know how much of a character profile the actors have received.

Sheldon may have known Penny for more than three years. This is the fifth season of the show and each season seems to be representing a different year. It may be less or it could be more. There is a lot of time and character activity that we as an audience would not see. There is little time reference on TBBT. We have seen episodes that take place over the course of a few days, and some that must have taken longer.

And the idea of Penny as a goddess is laughable. She's a warm, charming and likeable woman. A person. She's also someone that has made questionable choices regarding money, relationships and sexual encounters. She drinks to excess, steals from charity donations and was a bully growing up. What this makes her is human. And far from any sort of goddess.

There is 'back story' for each character that is known only to the writers and actors. What they choose to reveal to the audience is all we know about the character and their lives. Penny has acknowledged a life pattern of poor choices and drunken sexual encounters. How many encounters we don't know. We have not seen Sheldon meeting the men leaving her apartment. We have not seen Sheldon encounter Penny when she comes home from one. But, he (Sheldon) references both. Our not seeing them does not make them a product of his imagination. This is what has been shown to us. We do not know how much of a character profile the actors have received.

Sheldon may have known Penny for more than three years. This is the fifth season of the show and each season seems to be representing a different year. It may be less or it could be more. There is a lot of time and character activity that we as an audience would not see. There is little time reference on TBBT. We have seen episodes that take place over the course of a few days, and some that must have taken longer.

Well going to go with each season is a year unless you're trying to imply somehow Sheldon and penny had a encounter(s) before she moved across the hall.

However Sheldon came to the number he was guessing and if he got close it would be by considence and just because penny didn't sit there and write down ever guy she slept with doesn't mean he's right, I don't know any woman that wasn't discuss her alleged promscuity at anytime much at dinner. Also he only knew penny for three years and we hardly know about what her life was like before so the guys know as much as us.

You are trying to argue that what the writers intended for us to see and to understand is incorrect because of your personal preferences. IMO according to the writer's intent Sheldon's numbers were based on scientific principle and by Penny's reaction he was correct. You can argue all you want that his math was wrong, but that is not how it was portrayed. You can argue that Penny didn't realize that Sheldon was correct but once again, that is not how it was portrayed.

You are trying to argue that what the writers intended for us to see and to understand is incorrect because of your personal preferences. IMO according to the writer's intent Sheldon's numbers were based on scientific principle and by Penny's reaction he was correct. You can argue all you want that his math was wrong, but that is not how it was portrayed. You can argue that Penny didn't realize that Sheldon was correct but once again, that is not how it was portrayed.

All I'm saying is Sheldon was just spewing out numbers and have no idea how he got there it was merley a confidence that he got into the ballpark. Yet you base what Sheldon said as fact.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on that being true. As much as one might think they have a book somewhere with character profiles, there is so much evidence that they simply write the show one episode at a time with no regard to previous episodes at all. They have many times contradicted previous episodes and had characters do things that they would not normally do, like Penny sleeping with Raj, just for an effect. Molaro was quoted in an interview verifying that they write it one episode at a time. No ongoing plot. No back story.

A good example is Sheldon's man count for Penny. He completely ignored the fact that Penny had just come out of a 4 year relationship when he and Leonard met her. That would have seriously compromised his numbers. For that matter Penny's age is wrong based on that same relationship, which put her in L.A. for at least that 4 years, before she met the guys. Go look at our thread listing contradictions.

All I'm saying is Sheldon was just spewing out numbers and have no idea how he got there it was merley a confidence that he got into the ballpark. Yet you base what Sheldon said as fact.

I do so because the writers have portrayed it that way. If they portray it as fact then as far as the show is concerned it is.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on that being true. As much as one might think they have a book somewhere with character profiles, there is so much evidence that they simply write the show one episode at a time with no regard to previous episodes at all. They have many times contradicted previous episodes and had characters do things that they would not normally do, like Penny sleeping with Raj, just for an effect. Molaro was quoted in an interview verifying that they write it one episode at a time. No ongoing plot. No back story.

A good example is Sheldon's man count for Penny. He completely ignored the fact that Penny had just come out of a 4 year relationship when he and Leonard met her. That would have seriously compromised his numbers. For that matter Penny's age is wrong based on that same relationship, which put her in L.A. for at least that 4 years, before she met the guys. Go look at our thread listing contradictions.

Yeah I agree what the characters know is what we know and I agree about Penny she just came from a 4 year relationship when she met the guys yet someone how she slept with a total of 31 total, the timeline doesn't support that and another example of the write episode as new the first two seasons Sheldon liked hospitals and now he won't go near them unless absolutely neccesary.

I do so because the writers have portrayed it that way. If they portray it as fact then as far as the show is concerned it is.

Well them you're easily mislead on anything so what Sheldon or anyone said that must be true, yet he is social cripple and has only know penny a short time yet somehow knows all there is to penny's sexual history yet knows about as much as penny's past in Omaha as the audience and comes away with using some scientic(yet flawed in this) formula.

Unless Kurt is also from Nebraska I'm not sure how Penny attended Community College I'm assuming in Nebraska and also dated him for 4 years.

I am easily misled? How so? That is how the WRITERS, you know, the guys who actually decide how the story is going to go, WROTE IT. Sheldon is a fictional character portrayed by an actor who doesn't come up with these lines by himself, the writers decide what he is going to say. YOU are the one who is being misled by your own desires on how the Penny character should be portrayed.

The WRITERS, not Sheldon, decided that they would come up with a way for the character Sheldon to determine approximately how many men Penny had slept with and the WRITERS and the director had her react in such a way as let the audience know that he was either spot on or very close.

I don't care how you try to argue around it by saying she dated Joe for 4 years or Bob for 5. THE WRITERS say differently about how many men she slept with. It's not hard to understand.

I am easily misled? How so? That is how the WRITERS, you know, the guys who actually decide how the story is going to go, WROTE IT. Sheldon is a fictional character portrayed by an actor who doesn't come up with these lines by himself, the writers decide what he is going to say. YOU are the one who is being misled by your own desires on how the Penny character should be portrayed.

The WRITERS, not Sheldon, decided that they would come up with a way for the character Sheldon to determine approximately how many men Penny had slept with and the WRITERS and the director had her react in such a way as let the audience know that he was either spot on or very close.

I don't care how you try to argue around it by saying she dated Joe for 4 years or Bob for 5. THE WRITERS say differently about how many men she slept with. It's not hard to understand.

Like I said before, they don't have a back story, they write it one episode at a time. They had Sheldon come up with that number because it was funny, not because it was part of their story. If they come up with a joke that has Sheldon calculate that Penny has only slept with 10 men, they will go with that. It doesn't matter if it contradicts any previous episode. They do this all the time. This isn't Star Trek bound by Gene Roddenberry's, "writer's bible." It's a Chuck Lorre sitcom and the only rule they have is make this episode funny. Based on the evidence which has been written into the show, Sheldon's calculation cannot be right. That doesn't matter. It was funny and it went in.

Oh settle down for a second, yes Sheldon is a fictional character but you take what Sheldon said as fact yet there's no explation as to how or why he came up with any of the numbers I agree with waylerob there is no back story it's a new episode every time Sheldon could be close or he coukd be way off and slept with half of his number it has nothing to do with Penny it's the fact he either ignored or just didn't include some important facts and the number came up with dispute Penny and the past episodes.

Oh settle down for a second, yes Sheldon is a fictional character but you take what Sheldon said as fact yet there's no explation as to how or why he came up with any of the numbers I agree with waylerob there is no back story it's a new episode every time Sheldon could be close or he coukd be way off and slept with half of his number it has nothing to do with Penny it's the fact he either ignored or just didn't include some important facts and the number came up with dispute Penny and the past episodes.

There was an explanation on how he got those numbers, you just disagree with it. Penny did react like it was accurate, you simply refuse acknowledge the facts as presented on the show.

Br33na there's been threads that had more before the episode. Now not sure how we got here but here's how I think Bernadette finds out about Howard's "past" she wants to maybe know to what he was like before so either she asks both or either Penny(doesn't like Howard) or/and Sheldon(can't lie or is it can't keep a secret?)

I don't mean this in a rude way, but you can you all have this discussion(s) in another thread?

this thread is 9 pages full of non-related comments about an episode that hasn't even aired yet... and won't air for another 2 weeks. you're filling up a designated thread with unrelated comments. :icon_frown:

When do you rhink the next shamy scene will be??

The next episode features Stuart, Kripke and Will Wheaton. Not sure if that leaves any time for Shamy. Especially since it has major Howard / Bernadette storyline.

When do you rhink the next shamy scene will be??

I personally feel there will be something on the last episode. just a feeling i have.

I think it might not be till the next season. Because there seems a lot to get through before Howie flies off...

We're definitely set to have some additional bit of Sheldon/Amy development before the season winds up. Weekend Vortex left them in a rather iffy state.