The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Br33na

non-American fans

just curious, since the show has viewers and fans from all over the world, is it difficult to watch an American based sit-com?

being an American, we don't get the privilege of seeing TV shows from other countries (except some British shows). and if there were other shows from other countries on, I wonder if Americans would enjoy or appreciate them.

if you're watching the show from another country, is it difficult in terms of culture or language, or when American pop-culture references are mentioned?

I think the US has managed to flood the market with enough sit coms over the years to make them easily recognised worldwide.

(off topic a little) There are a handful of brilliant non-english sit coms out there, you just got to find them.

Russia have some brilliant shows, for instance.

Speaking for myself, it's not difficult when American pop-culture references are mentioned.

I am Dutch but have lived across people that served in the US military & therefore grew up learning & knowing the English language early. Also have worked at almost always American based companies that required speaking only English. Grew up listening to AFN ( still do ) on the radio & worked at the military base in Schinnen.

I almost love all US stuff, so am very up to date with what happens there :) I could be American as I have been told a lot Hahahaha

I also happen to love a number of UK based sit coms. And the Dutch tv buys a lot of UK & US based shows to show here. Thanks to the age of digital tv, we can now also reach out & watch overseas stations that have a variety of tv offerings. However it sometimes is a chore having to sift through all of the shitty stuff that is out there as well...

The show supposedly got so popular in other countries, that a small country of Belarus decided to capitalize on Chuck's success and plagiarize the show. Chuck Lorre even devoted one of his vanity cards to the subject:

"Belarus is a small, land-locked country next door to Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland. According to Wikipedia, one of its major exports is cattle by-products. Which begs the question, what horrible shape are the cattle in, if all they're good for is felt hats and wallpaper paste?

But Belarus does have a bustling TV production industry. One of their most recent hits is a sitcom about four nerdy scientists who live next door to a beautiful blonde waitress. The characters are named Sheldon, Leo, Hovard, Raj and Natasha, and the show is entitled, The Theorists. Each episode begins with a rapid-fire montage of images which takes us from the dawn of time to the present moment. Keeping with that theme, the montage is scored with what is probably the worst piece of recorded pop music since the dawn of time. And finally, each episode appears to be a Russian translation of a Big Bang Theory episode.

When we brought this to the attention of the Warner Brothers legal department, we were told that it's next to impossible to sue for copyright infringement in Belarus because the TV production company that is ripping us off is owned and operated by the government of Belarus. Having no other recourse, I'm hoping that this vanity card will be read by the fine folks making The Theorists, and, wracked with guilt, they break down and send us some felt hats. The Kyrgyzstan version of Dharma & Greg already sent me some wallpaper paste."

America doesn't air non-English TV shows.

& if they did, I don't think most Americans would appreciate other countries' shows.

I don't recall ever seeing a foreign TV show, other than British ones.

^ I did not know that.

Here in Australia, we have a tv station dedicated to international film/tv shows.

The show supposedly got so popular in other countries, that a small country of Belarus decided to capitalize on Chuck's success and plagiarize the show. Chuck Lorre even devoted one of his vanity cards to the subject:

"Belarus is a small, land-locked country next door to Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland. According to Wikipedia, one of its major exports is cattle by-products. Which begs the question, what horrible shape are the cattle in, if all they're good for is felt hats and wallpaper paste?

But Belarus does have a bustling TV production industry. One of their most recent hits is a sitcom about four nerdy scientists who live next door to a beautiful blonde waitress. The characters are named Sheldon, Leo, Hovard, Raj and Natasha, and the show is entitled, The Theorists. Each episode begins with a rapid-fire montage of images which takes us from the dawn of time to the present moment. Keeping with that theme, the montage is scored with what is probably the worst piece of recorded pop music since the dawn of time. And finally, each episode appears to be a Russian translation of a Big Bang Theory episode.

When we brought this to the attention of the Warner Brothers legal department, we were told that it's next to impossible to sue for copyright infringement in Belarus because the TV production company that is ripping us off is owned and operated by the government of Belarus. Having no other recourse, I'm hoping that this vanity card will be read by the fine folks making The Theorists, and, wracked with guilt, they break down and send us some felt hats. The Kyrgyzstan version of Dharma & Greg already sent me some wallpaper paste."

That sounds pretty interesting. Are the episodes very similar to the BBT? Can we download The Theorists in the USA?

@grasshopper: The link to the show's home page has been removed >< le sigh

The original site just had some still-shots and a brief outline of episodes. I haven't found any actual episodes of the show to watch yet.

There is a 3 minute clip on YouTube if you /search "The Theorists"

Yhea, no foreign shows in the US that I've ever seen (again, other than the rare UK ones...or remakes of UK ones!) and I've watched waaaaaay too much TV.

The show supposedly got so popular in other countries, that a small country of Belarus decided to capitalize on Chuck's success and plagiarize the show.

That sounds pretty interesting. Are the episodes very similar to the BBT? Can we download The Theorists in the USA?

I think it was cancelled. Here's a video clip:

NY Times article with a clip from Theorists

Obviously it's easy for me as a Londoner. Occasionally there will be a mention of a place, a person or food product that I won't know about, like milk duds. My knowledge of American geography is embarrassing bad. I'm going to NY at the end of the year and have much more curiosity and desire to visit the states because of the show.

Obviously it's easy for me as a Londoner. Occasionally there will be a mention of a place, a person or food product that I won't know about, like milk duds. My knowledge of American geography is embarrassing bad. I'm going to NY at the end of the year and have much more curiosity and desire to visit the states because of the show.

that's exactly what I was asking about, like not knowing a place or a person or a product (Milk Duds). I find that fascinating... because even when they reference certain movies or comic books, I don't always know what they're talking about!

I find the appeal of TBBT to international audience quite fascinating. After all, the main premise of the show is based on a singularly American idea of denigrating the nerds and worshiping a brainless beauty.

It's a very American phenomenon, this juxtaposition of "brainy means nerdy means socially undesirable" vs. "dumb and pretty equals popular". In many cultures, being smart in school is a bonus and a requirement for social success, NOT a drawback that would get one harrassed or isolated, and the muscle worship the brains, not the other way around.

I wonder, is the show so popular abroad because people relate to the characters, or because they are facsinated by weird Americans?

that's exactly what I was asking about, like not knowing a place or a person or a product (Milk Duds). I find that fascinating... because even when they reference certain movies or comic books, I don't always know what they're talking about!

Those product names are only a small thing which doesn't distract me at all. What attracted me to the show, like so many others, was the nerd culture. Many of the references from other shows I already watched, games and TV stuff. I've always been a big cult TV fan.

Also Jim Parsons, his delivery just drew me in. There's something about him as Sheldon which is so hypnotizing. He's just fantastic.

I wonder, is the show so popular abroad because people relate to the characters, or because they are facsinated by weird Americans?

I think the characters are relatable no matter where you are from. Oh but you're all weird as well :icon_lol: (kidding)

remember the episode that had the Chinese Sheldon & Leonard?

(they were online and controlling each others electricity or something like that). every culture has their geeks! I guess that's why the show appeals to people worldwide.

sometimes it can be difficult especially when it comes to things like moonpie, i had no idea what that was. I learned it is what us aussie's call a wagon wheel. A chocolate bar. also a great show I discovered is the Jacquie brown diaries which is NZ. I ended up discovering it on a community t.v chennel, It should be on air on the norm chennels, give people a chance to like it but shows like two and a half men, bbt ect get the air time, so other shows miss out.

There are a lot of things that enrich the show for me that no one else would really get if they didn't live here.

For instance, they live in Pasadena. I live in Orange County. When Leonard says, "I had to take you [sheldon] to the train store in Garden Grove because the one in Pasadena has gotten too big for it's britches!"

The city I live in hugs Garden Grove, and just thinking about making the drive to Pasadena is enough to make that line funny to me.

I can't imagine all the things that people don't really pay attention to because of this, so this is really interesting. Just the same as if I were to watch a British show, I wouldn't have knowledge of cities/towns/geographical stuff.

This is actually a bit of a sore point with me.

The US exports TV shows all over the world (Some of them are VERY good), but rather than importing good ones from other countries the US TV producers show absolutely no faith in their audience, rather than allowing them to grow and learn about other cultures US TV producers take shows from other countries and make pale and weak imitations. totally devoid of the chemistry that made the originals excellent.

This culture of copying has also extended into the movie industry with a litany of remakes and derivative movies. Producers need to "Grow a pair" and have more faith in original work IMO.

[/rant]

@ Albert Bester

This has always been something that puzzles me. Why are so many shows remade. I think they underestimate their audience. I know many Americans love British shows and I'm sure the same would be true of work from other countries.

@ Albert Bester

This has always been something that puzzles me. Why are so many shows remade. I think they underestimate their audience. I know many American love British shows and I'm sure the same would be true of work from other countries.

Ha! Thanks for agreeing, but I'm looking at "puzzled" in my rear view mirror.

Been mad at cowardly TV & Movie producers for quite a while :icon_wink:

I'm Canadian. I'm from Canadia (^c ^ )

Seriously though, netmouse pretty much nailed it. We get a lot of U.S. shows so we're already in the loop. Plus, Canadian culture is pretty close already. Mike Myers said it best on Letterman once:

"Canada is exactly like America— only not as much."

...or something like that.

I'm from Finland, and I love TBBT. It airs on the TV, but I guess we are on the 3rd season or something. I don't really like to watch the show on TV, because of the subtitles. Some things are just so much funnier in English, and the subtitles sometimes just kinda kill it. I also hate the translated name, "Rillit huurussa", which means "Steamy specs", or something like that (a bit hard to translate).

This is actually a bit of a sore point with me.

The US exports TV shows all over the world (Some of them are VERY good), but rather than importing good ones from other countries the US TV producers show absolutely no faith in their audience, rather than allowing them to grow and learn about other cultures US TV producers take shows from other countries and make pale and weak imitations. totally devoid of the chemistry that made the originals excellent.

This culture of copying has also extended into the movie industry with a litany of remakes and derivative movies. Producers need to "Grow a pair" and have more faith in original work IMO.

[/rant]

The BBC are normally on the cutting edge of comedy. As they are publicly funded rather than advertisement-driven they are prepared to go beyond the standard-formula-with-a slight-twist. Check out The League of gentleman whivh started waaay back in 1999...you can see how this led to Little Britain.

I'm from Argentina, and in my country there are a lot of cable channels that air international TV shows. We have Warner Channel, Sony Entertainment Television, Fox, AXN, Universal, TNT, etc. Most of the shows/movies are shown in their original language with subtitles. Other several movies/shows (especially movies) are dubbed, which I hate.