non-American fans

I am from Canada and I have all the available seasons of Big Bang on DVD.

Since I'm from Canada, English is my native language and the show airs on a bunch of channels here both American and Canadian without subtites, of course.

What is very interesting, and I must say, funny, about having the show on DVD is I noticed they actually have an option to watch the show with voice dubbed in Portuguese! Now, no offense to the people who are actually relying on the Portuguese voice dub to understand the show but to anyone who knows how the characters sound in real life and what they are saying ... it's very funny to watch an episode you know well in English with the Portuguese subtitles...mostly because it is just voices you're not expecting to hear from those characters. :p

In Australia stoned means being high on drugs, if you are drunk we normally say pissed. I would like to try Red Vines one day, but other than that most of what I don't know in regards to where Pasadena is etc I can find out on the net.

Since I'm from Canada, English is my native language and the show airs on a bunch of channels here both American and Canadian without subtites, of course.

What is very interesting, and I must say, funny, about having the show on DVD is I noticed they actually have an option to watch the show with voice dubbed in Portuguese! Now, no offense to the people who are actually relying on the Portuguese voice dub to understand the show but to anyone who knows how the characters sound in real life and what they are saying ... it's very funny to watch an episode you know well in English with the Portuguese subtitles...mostly because it is just voices you're not expecting to hear from those characters. :p

Well, I'm from Brazil, but I've never seen the show dubbed. Some time ago a channel tried to air it dubbed, but they canceled it after just 2 weeks due to low audience. Now the only channel that airs it here is Warner Channel and it's in English with Portuguese subtitles. I particulary hate dub voices. It's weird and a lot of the fun is lost with the translation.

Well, I'm from Brazil, but I've never seen the show dubbed. Some time ago a channel tried to air it dubbed, but they canceled it after just 2 weeks due to low audience. Now the only channel that airs it here is Warner Channel and it's in English with Portuguese subtitles. I particulary hate dub voices. It's weird and a lot of the fun is lost with the translation.

I can see how that would be true.

I know from any movies I've seen where the language spoken on screen is not English and there are subtitles I usually prefer that to if it were dubbed because I like it to be more authentic.

I'm from India. I have no problem at all with the language, but obviously I miss a lot of references to American pop culture and the urban slang. But that's what google/wiki is for, and after 1.5 years of studious referencing, I can claim to be much more educated in this regard now. :)

Also Jim Parsons, his delivery just drew me in. There's something about him as Sheldon which is so hypnotizing. He's just fantastic.

I think the characters are relatable no matter where you are from. Oh but you're all weird as well :icon_lol: (kidding)

Word, on both counts!

I watch the show daily over here in the UK, it's on multiple times throughout the day on Channel 4's sister channel (E4). They used to religiously broadcast Friends, and they, just like many other channels available to use, broadcast various other US based programmes.

So I'd say that us UK fans are so accustomed to the US culture, its slang, pop culture etc that we actually now feel part of the countries society. This could just be me, but I do nowadays prefer a US based programme to a UK one! Any other UK fans feels the same?

I think that as a birtish fan you tend to get alot of the intertextual references to sci-fi shows that they mention, for instance star trek, aswell as the American cultural comments, because of the HUGE amount of american television we watch in the UK, we are on the same wave length, you guys know what i mean? :icon_cheesygrin: