Hawking

Convict13

Found this and thought I would share. It's a BBC production of the story of Stephen Hawking from about the age of 21, with very fine acting by Benedict Cumberbatch as Hawking. It's old from 2004. I don't know how accurate it is on this period of his life, but thought it may be of interest to others here on the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNH3Z4m363o&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgSw0FFReM&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQGRqfumvs&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmMdqjisdsY&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQ710S36i4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI1vb2W5n6s&feature=relmfu

I haven't watched this for a while. It was wonderful to see it again. Thanks Convict13. I imagine its as accurate as a dramatisation can be. Given its a BBC production and he's still with us. Very moving.

If you do decide to check it out, try finding it on youtube so you can watch in full screen. I couldn't get these embedded ones bigger, but maybe I'm being daft. :icon_lol:

Either way, I'm checking out Sherlock now. Benedict Cumberbatch was pretty impressive in this. Another show to watch over the TBBT break.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

uh WOW, thanks for those, I will definitely check those later

You're all welcome. It was really interesting, once I started to watch it I had to watch it all the way through.

Either way, I'm checking out Sherlock now. Benedict Cumberbatch was pretty impressive in this. Another show to watch over the TBBT break.

Sherlock is great, very good modern adaption of the stories.

• 2 weeks later...

After having these videos on my to-watch list forever, I finally got around to watching it. Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing in this. :D

I've also watched both seasons of Sherlock. Incredible series, I always get through each season in a couple of days and then waiting impatiently for the next year so I can see the next season. xD

Thanks and booked! I'll be seeing Cumberbatch play Frankenstein on 14th June. Great idea, that you get the option of which role you want to see the actor play. Fun for them as well.

I believe I get to see him on the 10th June. :) Looking forward to it.

Thanks and booked! I'll be seeing Cumberbatch play Frankenstein on 14th June. Great idea, that you get the option of which role you want to see the actor play. Fun for them as well.

What am I saying? I'm seeing him play the monster, a schoolboy error that one. :rolleyes: Which role did you choose?

What am I saying? I'm seeing him play the monster, a schoolboy error that one. :rolleyes: Which role did you choose?

The monster as well, I think it would be the more "interesting" role, that and he is nearly naked most of the time (oh dear did I really type that out loud) :)

Oh I see, Boyle's description of him was, 'as fit as a boxer' in the Radio Times article. I'm tempted to see both, just because it's so rare to have the opportunity to compare like this... performances, not nakedness. :icon_lol:

I just spoke to someone who got to see the play itself. She told me to get prepared for some full on nudity in the opening scenes. Unless they have cropped this out of the filming. I thought you might want to know. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Well I'm sure if Jim could include some, he would. :icon_lol:

That Harvey play is a dilemma. I'm already going to NY for NYE and going for the play as well is an extravagance. Still, I keep checking flights. :icon_cheesygrin:

• 1 month later...

I saw the film of the Frankenstein play last night. Benedict was amazing. How he does all that stuff without damaging his tendons I'll never know. Or maybe he does…:icon_eek: it's mind-blowing and disturbing. The train bit in the beginning with the singing didn't really fit though, it seemed out of place. I'd like to see Johnny's portrayal of the monster as well. It will be completely different because I don't think he will move in the same way. You can see the Hawking performance in this also.

My friend saw the other version when it was shown as a play and she didn't like it that much. From what she said Johnny Lee Miller's portrayal of the monster is more innocent and less aggressive, so the violence at the end seems to come from nowhere. She wants to see the other version now but she doesn't like Benedict. Hates him as Sherlock. I think he's great as Sherlock, he encapsulates the characters arrogance perfectly. Each to their own.

I saw the film of the Frankenstein play last night. Benedict was amazing. How he does all that stuff without damaging his tendons I'll never know. Or maybe he does…:icon_eek: it's mind-blowing and disturbing. The train bit in the beginning with the singing didn't really fit though, it seemed out of place. I'd like to see Johnny's portrayal of the monster as well. It will be completely different because I don't think he will move in the same way. You can see the Hawking performance in this also.

My friend saw the other version when it was shown as a play and she didn't like it that much. From what she said Johnny Lee Miller's portrayal of the monster is more innocent and less aggressive, so the violence at the end seems to come from nowhere. She wants to see the other version now but she doesn't like Benedict. Hates him as Sherlock. I think he's great as Sherlock, he encapsulates the characters arrogance perfectly. Each to their own.

I'm going to see Johnny as the Monster, next weekend, because I feel like I've seen half the play. I liked the steampunk bits in the play, I think they helped to move the story on. How could you hate Ben as Sherlock? Who is her favourite Sherlock?

I'm going to see Johnny as the Monster, next weekend, because I feel like I've seen half the play. I liked the steampunk bits in the play, I think they helped to move the story on. How could you hate Ben as Sherlock? Who is her favourite Sherlock?

I have no idea. She kept harping on about Gene Wilder as 'Young Frankenstein' which it an absolute classic but a it's a different medium. I mean 'come on!' :icon_lol: I will probably go to the Johnny one as well, I can see Benedict as Frankenstein already. It seems a waste not too.