The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Sheldon's New Look

Better be careful. People who suggest that things should go back to the way they used to be get flamed a lot around here.

I have never joined anything like this before so I don't know what flamed means. Also, why would anyone get "flamed" (I'm guessing that is bad) by expressing their opinion? If I may...Sheldon's mannerisms made Sheldon's character. The show will not survive with a more "human like" Sheldon. Remember the episode where they think Sheldon may be a robot? A new Sheldon couldn't pull that off.

He's being sarcastic because of a recent thread called, I informed you thusly, I so informed you thusly. go back and read that one.

Not actually sarcastic, but I can see how you might think so as I am the resident cut-up.

*** Note: My lawyer has suggested I include the following disclaimer. The preceding line was meant as humour using a basterdization of a recent Sheldon quote. It is not meant to in any way denegrate the quoted postee ***

Oh, and by the way, the "informed you thusly" thread is nothing compaired to the threads around the Penny / Raj sex scene in last years finale or the general threads about how the show has changed since the early seasons. If you want to see some real flame wars, you should read some of the ones around what constitutes sexual activity. Fun reading.

Better be careful. People who suggest that things should go back to the way they used to be get flamed a lot around here.

I have never joined anything like this before so I don't know what flamed means. Also, why would anyone get "flamed" (I'm guessing that is bad) by expressing their opinion? If I may...Sheldon's mannerisms made Sheldon's character. The show will not survive with a more "human like" Sheldon. Remember the episode where they think Sheldon may be a robot? A new Sheldon couldn't pull that off.

I agree completely. Some here seem to think that Sheldon is a real person and want to see him become more human and fall in love. But he's NOT real, he's a hilarious character on a TV show who is becoming less and less hilarious because of the changes being made.

If you want to see some real flame wars, you should read some of the ones around what constitutes sexual activity. Fun reading.

Hee.he.he. Another one of my classic pranks.

:icon_lol:

I'd just like to add my two cents here about Jim Parson's weight. It's been mentioned in another fan site that the extreme weight loss at the beginning of season 4 was due to oral surgery, but that was just a suggestion made by the poster, who has also said later she was just making a guess.

I recently read an article written in Sept 2010 about the salary negotiations the cast were going through, and the author was very negative towards Jim. I think the extreme weight loss at that time, which coincides with the start of season 4, was probably due to the extreme stress of the situation.

Also, if the wardrobe people would give him a larger size, he wouldn`t look so bulky; everyone looks huge if they squeeze into too small clothes.

I'd just like to add my two cents here about Jim Parson's weight. It's been mentioned in another fan site that the extreme weight loss at the beginning of season 4 was due to oral surgery, but that was just a suggestion made by the poster, who has also said later she was just making a guess.

I recently read an article written in Sept 2010 about the salary negotiations the cast were going through, and the author was very negative towards Jim. I think the extreme weight loss at that time, which coincides with the start of season 4, was probably due to the extreme stress of the situation.

Also, if the wardrobe people would give him a larger size, he wouldn`t look so bulky; everyone looks huge if they squeeze into too small clothes.

Aww, stress!, I hope not but who knows.

And yes, the shirts are a bit tight.

I prefer his old hair style better too but I think Jim might be balding and he's trying to make comb-over. I've seen pictures his hair being blown and you can sorta see a bald spot.

I prefer his old hair style better too but I think Jim might be balding and he's trying to make comb-over. I've seen pictures his hair being blown and you can sorta see a bald spot.

Hi Snow*Flower,

He does have a receeding hair line...but he now looks like he is trying to be ZACH EFRON with that blown over look. His muscles are bigger and his shirts and pants way too tight. I hope he needs this look for his new movie and then goes back to being "the old Sheldon". In addition, like I said before, he is acting way to human for my taste & sense he is the most liked character on the show (their polls not mine), they need to sit back and really think if they change Sheldon, what type of show will they have..."Friends part II". Thanks for taking the time to write! Have a GREAT evening, Kelkie:icon_biggrin:

That would be me. Yes, it was just a guess, based on Jim's mention of oral surgery on Craig (he didn't specify when).

I'm just glad he's looking healthier now. I wouldn't want him to get much bulkier than this, though, but I'm sure he's on that already.

It is a different look, but I can't blame Jim for bulking up. I think people forget that Sheldon is a character played by a real person. That real person may have some restrictions as far as hair or piercings. I noticed that Jim had gained some muscle and thought that it seemed at odds with the character but then I also thought this is a person who has the right to change their body. If the writers and wadrobe can figure out ways to hide a women'e pregnacy on a show then I am confused as to why they can't explain Sheldon's change. And maybe that is also part of the problem, all the characters acting as if nothing is different. If Penny became a red head I am sure it would come up more than once in the show.

Here is my solution:

Flashback 4 months - Sheldon makes a comment about Penny's intelligence & being a community college drop out. Penny being totally fed up with it challenges Sheldon by simply asking "Sheldon you are a theorectical psyecist who understands the working of the universe correct?"

Sheldon "Yes Penny you are learning."

Penny "Ok, in your vast knowlege do you now the ideal weight & body fat % for a man your age & height?"

Sheldon "Of Course"

Penny "Well given that you know what the "ideal" is for your body and that you have control over your body, why is it that you are so frail? I mean it has to be a choice on your part, so being the brilliant scientist that you are, explain yourself."

Sheldon "Penny I am not concerned with such trivial matters."

Penny "I see you are too lazy to put in the work required to make you perfect. Don't worry it is a perfectly normal homo sapien decision."

Sheldon "I am Homo Novus"

Penny "Do ten pushups Homo Novus"

Sheldon "I can't do one let alone ten"

.....Sheldon "Penny, well played"

and then a show sequence of Sheldon jogging, swimming, lifting weights etc. to come to the present time.

Penny "You know Sheldon I noticed that you are more built thant before"

Sheldon "Yes Penny, I altered my routine to include time improving my body in order to further stimulate my mind and prolong my existence. Being a Homo Novus I must maintain perfection in all aspects of my life."

Actually Sheldon did get into exercising, early in season 4 (Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification). Ironically, Jim was at his thinnest at that time - or maybe not so ironic, because Jim recently said on Letterman that he had lost too much weight at that time precisely because he had been obsessively over-exercising. Now he's doing it more sensibly, and combining it with ellipticals, so his present nice shape seems to be an effect of this improved regimen.

Jim is looking at his best nowadays, by any standards. It may be argued - with justification - that his present look is not appropriate for 'praying mantis' Sheldon. But as @JustSimple said, he has a right to do what he wants with his body, and in this case he's been doing it just for the sake of better health. He was painfully underweight earlier. The show-runners can't expect him to kill himself for the sake of being Sheldon.

I think he has looked better the last couple of episodes, and it has helped that he has been acting like the old sheldon again.

Also, he's looking divine in the Harvey interviews. :)

(Sorry for the shameless fan-girling).

As I have said before I love the fact that he's bulkier now, yet I don't like the hair at all. He must get a haircut pronto.

@Pomita - I agree...he looks divine in those bits. (I've joined the fan-girling :) )

As I have said before I love the fact that he's bulkier now, yet I don't like the hair at all. He must get a haircut pronto.

As someone said, his hair looks nice in his interviews. It's just for Sheldon that it seems to be styled in an odd way, brushed too neatly to one side or something.

@Pomita - I agree...he looks divine in those bits. (I've joined the fan-girling :) )

Good times. :)