My Thoughts About Sheldon and Season 5

Here is my take on this, if anyone cares.

Sheldon has changed every season. Season 2 sheldon is not the same as season 1, season 3 not the same as season 2, etc., etc. They have been developing and growing the sheldon character from the beginning. My personal favorite is during seasons 3 and 4.

That being said, yes they have been experimenting with sheldon during season 5. There have been some great moments, but there have also been some moments where Jim has been forced to portray sheldon out of character, and it seems like overacting (in my opinion). But it hasn't been enough to keep me from still enjoying this show. It does seem like they are trying something new with him, but I have also noticed that in the past several episodes, they have attempted to bring back some things from the older seasons to satisfy the fans --

-- they brought back Kripke

-- Penny talked to sheldon about their history before giving the haircut

-- they have a gaming marathon

-- they bring in leonard nimoy and stephen hawking

-- they have a star trek dream scene

-- leonard mentions the restraining orders

-- they brought back a version of the sheldon laugh

-- sheldon stares at the physics board

-- sheldon writes a new physics paper

-- there have been more scenes of just the guys and penny hanging

out

There might be more, but it does seem like recently they are making an effort to give it some of the old feel. I do feel they need to bring back more of the physics talk, but I don't think it needs to be as heavy as it used to be. It was nice in the last episode when sheldon was talking about his paper, because it has been a while since we've heard about his work.

The maid outfit didn't bother me in the last episode. If you remember, sheldon was wearing underwear in the PILOT. They have been doing gags like this throughout the series.

Maybe the writers are just trying their best to bring sheldon to a different level so that his relationship with amy can evolve. Are they doing a good job? I'm not sure yet. There have been some moments from season 5 that have been awesome, so I am still happy.

Sheldon has changed the most this season. He looks different, his voice is different, he laughs manically and he panics in a whole new way. In previous seasons, you didn't have to look for the science either. It was right in your face and a major part of every episode. Saying that, I still enjoy the show very much, even if I have a preference for the earlier Sheldon.

Penny and Leonard have changed too. And Amy! That character has completely morphed in under two seasons, they developed her so fast it's been a little disconcerting.

Season 6 is going to be very interesting. I haven't a clue whats to come. But I imagine these boards are going to get lively people. Phew! :icon_cheesygrin:

Well I for one care :icon_cheesygrin: ......That being said feel like I have kinda got caught up a little on season 5.I started probably mid season and they show older season episodes on several stations now.I have the first four on DVD so I emersed myself in a "TBBT Crash Course" if you will.You have made some excellent points on how "Sheldon's" character has changed from season to season.Also how some of the "OLD" ways have krept back in and how you can tell now when he is sorta out of character.I would have liked to have seen a "Live" interaction with "Spock" but the doll was funny as it kept changing positions as it spoke to him.The "Maide" outfit wasn't a bother either it was more or less "Howard" being "Howard" maybe he should have put him in a "Red" Star Trek uniform as "Engineering" I thought the bottom line was Howard finally had one over Sheldon after all the times Sheldon has had one over on him.I realize he won the "cricket" bet also but significance going to Hawking.

Just a humble offering on the subject :icon_mrgreen:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I like Season 1 Sheldon

I like Season 2 Sheldon

I like Season 3 Sheldon

I like Season 4 Sheldon

I like Season 5 Sheldon

I like to see Sheldon evolving little by little. Is fun to see him struggle against his own growth, like he does. Is true, he doesn't like change, but no one can help to change thoughout the years. He is in his 30's for heaven's sake, he HAD to get some growth as a character. He is a sitcom character, is true but he is not a cartoon. Stalled characters become tyring and annoying after a couple of seasons. I liked the previous Sheldon and I like this one too. I don't think the core of his character has changed, but is normal for him to start experiencing new stuff. And yes, there is always people that is gonna complain that they miss the old Sheldon. I do sometimes, but when I do, I just put a Season 1 DVD and I get to see it instead of just whining about it. And I do find the beauty on how he has evolved onto what he is now.

I am sure all of us here are very different to what we were 5 years ago. Things that happen change you and teach you and make you evolve. And I DO KNOW HE IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER. But he is a fictional character that became so loved because of how many people was able to relate to him since the start (just look at the polls on this site, the question "which of the characters you relate the most to?" the top answer is Sheldon by far), and that was because people found him human despite his quirky qualities. People relate to humans, not trees or buildings. Now, tell me, who could relate to someone who doesn't change at all during 5 years? I don't think many would. Because it stops being relatable, it stops being human.

Again, I like all the Sheldons because it is the same Sheldon. I am enjoying this character's journey and I do love his baby-step growth.

People relate to humans, not trees or buildings. Now, tell me, who could relate to someone who doesn't change at all during 5 years? I don't think many would. Because it stops being relatable, it stops being human.

Again, I like all the Sheldons because it is the same Sheldon. I am enjoying this character's journey and I do love his baby-step growth.

Sursonica, that is a very nice post. I totally agree. :icon_cheesygrin:

People relate to humans, not trees or buildings. Now, tell me, who could relate to someone who doesn't change at all during 5 years? I don't think many would. Because it stops being relatable, it stops being human.

Sursonica, that is a very nice post. I totally agree. :icon_cheesygrin:

COunt me in as one who would prefer that the characters didn't change over the course of the show.

how is the panicking new?

Sorry Moon_pie, I wasn't clear about that part. When he panics over germs, for instance. What happened to the germ phobia?

All the way up until season 5, episode 2, Sheldon is literally petrified of germs. He wants Penny to get rid of the secondhand chair so much and screams when she holds the cushion in his face (great episode BTW :icon_lol:)

But the very next one, (Season 5, Ep3) he puts a train his mouth, and its over! He's been doing icky things without gloves ever since. All I'm saying is Season 5 changes have been big. He doesn't seem to have his phobia now so I expect more change next season.

I want to see characters on a show change, grow, and adapt as time and circumstances change. In the first episode Sheldon had no one that he could consider a friend and had no interest in social contacts. He had a lawn chair for furniture partly because he didn't want anyone to ever come visit. Over time he has changed. He has grown, as have the other characters on the show. If they had remained stagnant and unchanging they would quickly become boring IMO.

I don't think the train in the mouth and not wearing the gloves means he's completely over his germ phobia. those are the only two things he has done to indicate that?

And helping Howard's mum into her dress? :icon_cheesygrin:

I don't think the train in the mouth and not wearing the gloves means he's completely over his germ phobia. those are the only two things he has done to indicate that?

No. What these two things mean is that the writers have completely lost track of the original Sheldon character. I would even say that they have lost track of the original intent of the show as the train in the mouth thing was "making fun OF the geeks" rather than "making fun WITH the geeks"

No. What these two things mean is that the writers have completely lost track of the original Sheldon character. I would even say that they have lost track of the original intent of the show as the train in the mouth thing was "making fun OF the geeks" rather than "making fun WITH the geeks"

I have to admit I didn't really understand the train in the mouth thing and why it was funny. that's one the moments I mentioned in the beginning of the post that I agree was out of character and not done well during season 5. I guess someone thought it was funny to leave it in. I don't really see that as a germ phobia conflict though. He could have sanitized the train first, we don't know. And, he was very childlike in this episode and when he is in that mode, he is different than usual. They have done that before in other seasons, where he is childlike and a little out of character (like when penny took him to disneyland or when he made the nest in the comic book store)

As for the gloves, yes, the writers screwed up on that, but you could argue that he was flustered because Amy was challenging him and he was trying to show off doing something that was out of his field.

Sheldon was always willing to overcome his phobias when in dire need. For example, he drove Penny to the emergency room despite his "inability" to drive.

Sheldon's desire to meet his idol overcame his germ phobia. Seems quite in character to me.

Germophobia is not always consistent, is not rational, because it is a phobia.

I am germophobic, I don't touch anything on the street, not even the subway, but I don't have it with dogs or cats. I don't touch people, not even my family, (with the exception of my boyfriend) and I am sanitizing my hands constantly but I have no problems on touching a street dog or a cat, or even cleaning when they poop. Why? i don't know, except for the fact that germophobia is not rational, is not consistent and is not always triggered by the same things. So I don't see it as OOC him sometimes freaking out about germs and sometimes not. It is normal not to be a consistent thing.

good post, sursonica. And remember this has been inconsistent before. Remember in season 2 he went to hospital to try to get scans and then later in season 4, he didn't want to go to the hospital for howard. I think we shouldn't try to make sense out of everything sheldon does. The writers just go for what it funny, and this show has been inconsistant from the beginning.

FYI, you Shamy Shippers should know that the lollypop guild is currently in a paroxysm of joy over the events between Amy and Sheldon at the latest taping.

No more masturbating for money for Sheldon.

good post, sursonica. And remember this has been inconsistent before. Remember in season 2 he went to hospital to try to get scans and then later in season 4, he didn't want to go to the hospital for howard. I think we shouldn't try to make sense out of everything sheldon does. The writers just go for what it funny, and this show has been inconsistant from the beginning.

You are right about the hospital scenes and it was noted on the forum. There's a thread about inconsistencies on the show. I guess we have to agree to disagree about the rest.

FYI, you Shamy Shippers should know that the lollypop guild is currently in a paroxysm of joy over the events between Amy and Sheldon at the latest taping.

Disgusted your such a wind-up merchant. I do enjoy your posts :icon_lol:

Sheldon attempts to dissect a brain without gloves.

Sheldon places sliced brain specimins into his lunch tray, then just swaps it back out for his sushimi. I'm not a germaphobe and I wouldn't do either of those two things.

Also, he has no concern over the splashback from the Fancy Feast catfood that wasn't really fancy.

This from a guy who immediately used liquid hand sanitizer after giving Howard a very quick weak high-five, and from someone who freaked out to hell and back for simply touching Leonard's napkin and sipping his water. (But then again, he was in love with his germ covered Leonard Nimoy napkin).

his genitals are functional and aesthetically pleasing

How would he know they're functional? Unless he just means for urination purposes. And how does he know they are aesthitcally pleasing? Is he an expert on how nice a man's junk looks?

How would he know they're functional? Unless he just means for urination purposes. And how does he know they are aesthitcally pleasing? Is he an expert on how nice a man's junk looks?

Another example of why we can't figure sheldon out. I always wondered why he said that. It was funny, but makes you wonder, how did he know?

And Disgusted, no spoilers, please, about the shamy! I don't want to know!

I hate you. I missed the taping, and now I find out it had titillating Sheldon scenes? :icon_evil: You're a heartless cruel salt-in-the-wounds kind of torturer. For shame, sir, for shame. *sob*

P.S. Please point me in the direction of the lollypop guild. I'd like a lollypop in consolation. Or maybe some chocolate. :icon_lol: