5.23 The Launch Acceleration (May 3)

Tripper

How do you rate this episode?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Well they actress isn't that good looking she wasn't when played blossom and she doesn't look that different than Amy and there's a reason I don't refer to Penny as that, and picturing someone's naked shoulders isn't erotic, now if he pictures Penny when he peaked then that would.

so, the reason why you don't refer to Penny as a "thing" but you do towards Amy is because "she is not good looking". Well, that's one of the most shallow things I have ever read.

And regarding Sheldon imagining Penny... why should he? he doesn't find her attractive. It might be hard to understand but.. Sheldon is not you, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't find attractive the same things that YOU do.

Let me quote Doctor Who, because Doctor Who applies to everything, and this quote is very appropiate:

You know when sometimes you meet someone so beautiful - and then you actually talk to them and five minutes later they're as dull as a brick; but then there's other people. And you meet them and you think, 'Not bad, they're okay,' and when you get to know them ... their face just, sort of, becomes them, like their personality's written all over it, and they just - they turn into something so beautiful. Rory's the most beautiful man I've ever met.

Amy Pond, - The Girl Who Waited

We don't know he doesn't find her attractive even though he called it.

So beautiful people are boring but ugly people are exciting? What a bunch of crap, except the fact that Amy is boring and Penny's personality comes out every time she talks.

again, Cbolt, you are failing at reading comprehension. The quote doesn't mean that all ugly people are interesting or that all pretty people are dull. IT SAYS that people that you wouldn't find attractive at first time SOMETIMES after you know them become beautiful to your eyes... sheesh, is not that hard!

Second, Amy being boring is YOUR opinion. Sheldon evidently doesn't think she is boring-

"Of course he is interested, AMY IS VERY INTERESTING" . that was Sheldon talking to Leonard when Stuart asked her out.

Second, Amy being boring is YOUR opinion. Sheldon evidently doesn't think she is boring-

"Of course he is interested, AMY IS VERY INTERESTING" . that was Sheldon talking to Leonard when Stuart asked her out.

Just as Amy says about Sheldon, 'you're the most fun person I know'. She thinks his eidetic memory is 'sexy'.

We don't think that. None of his other friends think that. But that's the connection they have. That's why they're right for each other.

Well they actress isn't that good looking she wasn't when played blossom and she doesn't look that different than Amy and there's a reason I don't refer to Penny as that, and picturing someone's naked shoulders isn't erotic, now if he pictures Penny when he peaked then that would.

:icon_eek: To picture someone's naked shoulders is "not erotic"? Seriously kid, you have a lot to learn about erotism! :icon_cheesygrin:

Okay, I respect if you think only full nakedness/breasts/behind of model-like girls with perfect bodies is erotic, but remember there are a lot of people out there, who likes, enjoy and are attracted to very different things.

Yes, we got it, you like Kaley/Penny a lot, wonderful!, but As Sursonica told you, Sheldon Cooper is not the fictional representation of YOU, he is not gonna think like you, not gonna like the same things you do. He is a character that very seemingly is attracted to something quite different to the features you are attracted to, in episode 5.23 he found himself lost fantasizing of the dandruff delicately falling over Amy's pale shoulders, I know it could be baffling, and you are probably repulsed, but it's canon, Sheldon is that "crazy", that's what the show just told us, as it was written to be Sheldon's like.

And I agree, before referring to someone as "that", remember they are persons like you, would you like people around talk about you as if you were just a thing?

Also, for the sake of your happiness, I hope you are a super-hot, perfect abs, tall and handsome guy, since it seems you are convinced only conventionally attractive people deserve to be loved. Or does it only apply to women?

Actually she's a fictional character and it's just her shoulders.

even if she is a fictional character, is still portrayed by a real actress. You don't refer to Penny as "that" so you shouldn't do that with Amy either. Fictional, not fictional, still people, not a thing.,

and shoulders, is still a body part. You have to learn how to understand subtlety. Sheldon won't say "she's got a fine ass", but saying he imagines her BARE shoulders, is quite a step... for Sheldon..

BTW: LOL

tumblr_m402m1h1ML1r2ezt9o1_250.giftumblr_m402m1h1ML1r2ezt9o2_250.gif

LOL!!! Sheldon checking out Amy!!

I would like to add a minor point here: Sheldon DOES think that Penny is attractive as well, we know this from Season 1 ("No one can be this attractive and skilled at a video game"). He even admits that his sister Missy has the symmetry and low body fat that society deems attractive. So Sheldon knows what is supposed to be considered attractive by society's standards, but he chooses not to follow them.

When Ramona (the grad student) showed an interest in him, he didn't say anything about how pretty she was, he only mentioned that she was smart. However, since she was pretty much stalking/worshiping him the whole time, he could never see her as an equal (not to mention the borderline stalker behavior that was stifling his fun nerd side). Similar situation with Martha. He could hold an intelligent conversation with her well enough, but again no attraction, even with the common interest in other geeky things like Green Lantern. In this way, we also know that just not any form of smart is enough for Sheldon. Somehow with Amy, he found a kindred spirit whom he has come to really care for, and her intelligence seems to complement his. Only when this connection is established could his attraction start to move to the physical, and he probably wasn't prepared for that. I agree, his imagining Amy's dandruff and shoulders is as in-character for Sheldon as he could get when admitting attraction to Amy. More provocative body parts would be too much and out of character.

Btw, love that Dr. Who quote. I did find this very true when it came to guys I dated in the past.

I liked this episode so much. I kinda wish they worked the season finale into THIS episode, because of how powerful it was. the season finale was a disappointment, in my opinion, compared to the POW! of this episode.

We're under the impression that he doesn't have experience but we don't know that for a fact.

There is a strong indication that he hasn't because he mentioned on the first date with Amy that he had not kissed anyone other than his sister and his mother. Unless you want to think he somehow had sex with a woman without ever kissing her.

Actually if I had a choice between Amy, Bernadette and Penny I'd pick Amy. She quite obviously has a strong interest in sex, I love her quirkiness and she appears to be open minded. Open to new experiences.

I find intelligence extremely sexy. I am rapidly losing interest in Penny but I never had much in the first place. I don't like blondes. I had three blonde sisters. I only liked Penny because she was sweet and cute (personality wise). Her blonde hair and physical attractiveness were strikes against her in my book. I like her as an actress because she is so expressive. She is the brass ring on the merry go round for any nerd.

I had two ex wives that were both stunningly beautiful. My first wife looked like Priya but had a better figure and bigger boobs. I divorced my first and second wife but I've been married to my third wife for 23 years and she is not as attractive as Amy.

I met my current wife through a dating service and had a chance to get to know her before I ever met her. Sheldon found a mental soul mate in Amy and has become physically attracted to her.

Penny on the other hand needs to calm down and get off her high horse. I get the impression that Leonard is getting fed up with her. I would like to see her have to fight for Leonard next season or so. She's got to start treating him better.

I pity cbolt.

so, the reason why you don't refer to Penny as a "thing" but you do towards Amy is because "she is not good looking". Well, that's one of the most shallow things I have ever read.

And regarding Sheldon imagining Penny... why should he? he doesn't find her attractive. It might be hard to understand but.. Sheldon is not you, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't find attractive the same things that YOU do.

Let me quote Doctor Who, because Doctor Who applies to everything, and this quote is very appropiate:

You know when sometimes you meet someone so beautiful - and then you actually talk to them and five minutes later they're as dull as a brick; but then there's other people. And you meet them and you think, 'Not bad, they're okay,' and when you get to know them ... their face just, sort of, becomes them, like their personality's written all over it, and they just - they turn into something so beautiful. Rory's the most beautiful man I've ever met.

Amy Pond, - The Girl Who Waited

We don't know he doesn't find her attractive even though he called it.

So beautiful people are boring but ugly people are exciting? What a bunch of crap, except the fact that Amy is boring and Penny's personality comes out every time she talks.

again, Cbolt, you are failing at reading comprehension. The quote doesn't mean that all ugly people are interesting or that all pretty people are dull. IT SAYS that people that you wouldn't find attractive at first time SOMETIMES after you know them become beautiful to your eyes... sheesh, is not that hard!

well you have to be at least attractive for me not Penny good looks but enough to want to go over and find out if you're a interesting person.

Quoting Sheldon mr. fun I don't think so, the reason he said that is she and him think alike and what Sheldon finds interesting others don't.

We're under the impression that he doesn't have experience but we don't know that for a fact.

There is a strong indication that he hasn't because he mentioned on the first date with Amy that he had not kissed anyone other than his sister and his mother. Unless you want to think he somehow had sex with a woman without ever kissing her.

Actually if I had a choice between Amy, Bernadette and Penny I'd pick Amy. She quite obviously has a strong interest in sex, I love her quirkiness and she appears to be open minded. Open to new experiences.

I find intelligence extremely sexy. I am rapidly losing interest in Penny but I never had much in the first place. I don't like blondes. I had three blonde sisters. I only liked Penny because she was sweet and cute (personality wise). Her blonde hair and physical attractiveness were strikes against her in my book. I like her as an actress because she is so expressive. She is the brass ring on the merry go round for any nerd.

I had two ex wives that were both stunningly beautiful. My first wife looked like Priya but had a better figure and bigger boobs. I divorced my first and second wife but I've been married to my third wife for 23 years and she is not as attractive as Amy.

I met my current wife through a dating service and had a chance to get to know her before I ever met her. Sheldon found a mental soul mate in Amy and has become physically attracted to her.

Penny on the other hand needs to calm down and get off her high horse. I get the impression that Leonard is getting fed up with her. I would like to see her have to fight for Leonard next season or so. She's got to start treating him better.

I pity cbolt.

I pity you.

If you choose Amy I hope you're really good looking or you'll have ugly kids or at best average looking ones.

Penny on her high horse really? I don't know where you get the impression that Leonard is getting fed up with her, he was acting the exact same way before she broke up with him the first time, she had every right to act that way, if Leonard would grow up and get so serious.

If you choose Amy I hope you're really good looking or you'll have ugly kids or at best average looking ones.

Penny on her high horse really? I don't know where you get the impression that Leonard is getting fed up with her, he was acting the exact same way before she broke up with him the first time, she had every right to act that way, if Leonard would grow up and get so serious.

Pack about 100 lbs on Amy and you've got my wife except the nose. As for ugly kids, my daughter would put most Penthouse models to shame. I flatly refused to allow her to wear a bikini at 13. My son would make a good male model and as far as smarts go, both of them are smarter than I am. Me, oh no, at best I'm average. Overweight and out of shape, old to boot. But you know what? I really don't care what they look like.

Believe what you will. As far as Leonard goes, I'm not nearly as smart or good looking as he is. But, I dumped two women that Penny couldn't hold a candle to. I foresee Leonard dumping Penny.

I'm sorry but a lot of your posts don't make sense, there's a lack of punctuation, grammar and numerous spelling errors. That indicates there is an inconsistency somewhere. I don't want to start a flame war so good luck and have fun.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

LOL, it kinda makes me laugh to read that Sheldon shouldn't be with Amy because she is ugly and would make ugly babies--.------ Really? it's kinda funny for a joke, but if it is said seriously, it is sad to read someone thinking that.

btw: AGAIN, first, Mayim is not ugly, and second... have you seen Mayim's kids? they're gorgeous... and oddly enough, her older son kinda looks like a mini-Sheldon.

and third... why do you think that Sheldon's goal is to have "attractive looking kids"?? he wants them to be smart enough to win a Nobel Prize, not fashion models... ugh-.

Somehow with Amy, he found a kindred spirit whom he has come to really care for, and her intelligence seems to complement his. Only when this connection is established could his attraction start to move to the physical, and he probably wasn't prepared for that.

I was reading this and found it very sweet. It's true.

Pack about 100 lbs on Amy and you've got my wife except the nose. As for ugly kids, my daughter would put most Penthouse models to shame. I flatly refused to allow her to wear a bikini at 13. My son would make a good male model and as far as smarts go, both of them are smarter than I am. Me, oh no, at best I'm average. Overweight and out of shape, old to boot. But you know what? I really don't care what they look like.

Believe what you will. As far as Leonard goes, I'm not nearly as smart or good looking as he is. But, I dumped two women that Penny couldn't hold a candle to. I foresee Leonard dumping Penny.

I'm sorry but a lot of your posts don't make sense, there's a lack of punctuation, grammar and numerous spelling errors. That indicates there is an inconsistency somewhere. I don't want to start a flame war so good luck and have fun.

Well if Leonard does I'd like to see how they make it I don't know believable, and the fact that he wants to start again when the first time was disatrous tells you something.

I'm not writting an easy so I don't care if I'm not using puncation at the right times.

LOL, it kinda makes me laugh to read that Sheldon shouldn't be with Amy because she is ugly and would make ugly babies--.------ Really? it's kinda funny for a joke, but if it is said seriously, it is sad to read someone thinking that.

btw: AGAIN, first, Mayim is not ugly, and second... have you seen Mayim's kids? they're gorgeous... and oddly enough, her older son kinda looks like a mini-Sheldon.

and third... why do you think that Sheldon's goal is to have "attractive looking kids"?? he wants them to be smart enough to win a Nobel Prize, not fashion models... ugh-.

I didn't say that because Sheldon doesn't think that besides he's probably good looking enough for the both.

I didn't say she was but not attractive and since I don't know what her husband looks like who knows it's a two way street on that, maybe she borrowed Jim's sperm.

Actually sheldon's never talked about progeny so we don't know what he wants, he hasn't even kissed Amy yet, but if he did get with Amy his family has more than enough good looking genes to make sure his are the dominant ones.

sheldon's never talked about progeny

Actually he has.

he hasn't even kissed Amy yet

Actually he has.

if he did get with Amy his family has more than enough good looking genes to make sure his are the dominant ones.

I don't think you actually understand genetics.

Actually he has.

Actually he has.

if he did get with Amy his family has more than enough good looking genes to make sure his are the dominant ones.

I don't count that he wanted a human lab rat, not the same as Howard and Bernadette talking about it.

She kissed him.

If her family looks like her and we've seen his, the likelyhood based on good looking children would've based on more from his side.

Actually he has.

Actually he has.

I don't count that he wanted a human lab rat, not the same as Howard and Bernadette talking about it.

She kissed him.

If her family looks like her and we've seen his, the likelyhood based on good looking children would've based on more from his side.

How does his "good looking" genes become the dominant ones? I have never heard this genetic theory before. Considering the number of ugly people in the world compared to the good looking ones, it there were such a thing I would have to conclude that the ugly gene is the dominant one.

Well if a ugly one gets with a good looking one doesn't it increase by being with the good looking to have attractive children, or then in the pilot Leonard should've said our babies will be average looking then.

Aevitas Wrote:

Somehow with Amy, he found a kindred spirit whom he has come to really care for, and her intelligence seems to complement his. Only when this connection is established could his attraction start to move to the physical, and he probably wasn't prepared for that.

Me, too. This is a spot on summation of the evolution of this relationship, and is one of the reasons I continue to enjoy the show. There truly is someone for everyone.

Word. Exactly. For Sheldon, his 'relationship of the mind' with Amy has to be the stepping-stone to anything more physical.

How on earth has this become a prolonged discussion about whether Sheldon and Amy's babies will be attractive or not? :p

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, edited.

A link to the picture gallery (with some interesting little interviews):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/emmys-2012-on-set-behind-scenes-big-bang-theory-329806

And an interesting quote:

Parsons' 'Favorite' Addition

Parsons says the addition of Bialik's Amy stands out as his "favorite thing that's happened in the past year and a half of the show." "The introduction of Amy as a character has brought many possibilities for Sheldon. I enjoy working with Mayim and it would be my personal preference that she never be allowed to work with anybody else," he says with a laugh. "She should do all her scenes with me! That said, it wouldn't be good for her or the show and in the end it wouldn't be good for me but that's how much I enjoy playing those scenes with her in all their different and strange forms."

Sorry, edited.

A link to the picture gallery (with some interesting little interviews):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/emmys-2012-on-set-behind-scenes-big-bang-theory-329806

I liked what Jim said about Mayim and wanting her to do ALL her scenes with him. And Mayim saying they are being careful to preserve Sheldon as he is. This is good to hear from my perspective :icon_cheesygrin:

I was about to post Mayim's quote too. Let me just do it. :p

Protecting Sheldon

Bialik says she's glad the writers have kept Parsons' Sheldon true to who he is while still bringing the character into unchartered waters with a romantic story line. "It stayed very true to who he needs to be and that's why [their relationship] has gone so slow," she says. "That's the protectiveness we all feel about Jim's character; we have to really guard it carefully even if we're talking about stuff that is so outside of his character's comfort zone."