5.23 The Launch Acceleration (May 3)

Tripper

How do you rate this episode?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

I loved the episode, and I love how Amy is really growing on me. She was almost lovable in this episode.

On another note, I do miss the Howard/Raj relationship a lot, and am disappointed that Raj's screentime is getting smaller and smaller. I'm hoping that the writers will pull something out for him next season.

Rick I'm sure priya is gone, not sure why they would bring her back it's not like he's not over her and needs closure. As for Penny I don't see the benefit of having Leonard able to get someone else would benfit Penny the reason she's with him is he wouldn't do that, that would shatter her view of him.

@Bazingafan

Posted this on the wrong episode thread. :icon_confused: I agree with you post. This was a Sheldon I recognised, he even ran away from germs. :icon_cheesygrin:

I also liked the honesty of Amy's approach. He knows what to expect but is giving in to it. I'm glad they haven't done anything crass like throwing alcohol at them (so far). The innocent approach is great and it's a good contrast to Leonard and Penny's more complex pairing, which I must say is developing nicely.

@groovy almost lol

I agree about Raj I hope they have something planned and this season he either had a big role in the plot or a couple lines like this one.

Sheldon/Amy - Yeah I'm not an Amy fan but I'm glad they at least brought in some of her background to the situation. I am however, finding it a little tiring that her character keeps trying to please Sheldon so much and he seems totally uninterested. If he doesn't want to be in the relationship, then Amy should just walk away. I can't see a relationship like theirs ever going anywhere good. From the looks of it, Amy's probably going to always be bending to Sheldon's will and that's not healthy. He seems to only respect her as a scientist and not as a woman. I've noticed he's been acting this way all season and I think it's largely due to the childish behaviour the new writers are insisting he have.

Except we do know that Sheldon wants to be in the relationship. He was the one to chase after Amy on her date with Stuart and present the relationship agreement. If he didn't want it, he certainly wouldn't hesitate to say that he wanted to terminate the relationship. He just doesn't know how to act like a boyfriend (or how to be close to another human being for that matter), but we can see that he's slowly learning. Every time they hit a snag, he attempted to solve the conflict as a boyfriend (the tiara, the Cooper Coupons, etc.) You can also see in this episode that he's slowly starting to develop affection for Amy. As Mary Cooper says, quoting her husband, "You have to take your time with Shelly." Sheldon is slowly learning about what it's like to care for someone, and it's distracting him from his work, which is usually his topmost priority. I'll bet that in some episode in the future, Sheldon will realize that his relationship is distracting his thought processes and he'll have to choose between a focused intelligent mind or a serious relationship with Amy.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my last post that I was delighted to see the three-dimensional chess set make a comeback. :D

Ya know, how some of you've been saying Sheldon's mannerism different this year. I mean, I think Sheldon often sounds sarcastic now which makes Sheldon's character a bit of a turn-off to me. Though, it didn't begin til later in this season but I've noticed in this episode Jim's acting is similar to the old Sheldon. But his sarcastic tone slips out every now and then. And the disappointing part of it, is that it comes back completely in the finale.

Rick I'm sure priya is gone, not sure why they would bring her back it's not like he's not over her and needs closure. As for Penny I don't see the benefit of having Leonard able to get someone else would benfit Penny the reason she's with him is he wouldn't do that, that would shatter her view of him.

I thought that I made my reasons pretty clear. Penny is very complacent towards Leonard. As she has mentioned, she is sure that there is no way that Leonard would ever break up with her. I also thought I was pretty clear that Leonard would not take up Priya on any offer she made for them getting back together. I want something to happen that lets Penny know that Leonard does have options but he prefers her. Perhaps she would no longer take him for granted. I also want to see Priya get her "comeupense". As far as Priya never appearing on the show again, I wouldn't make any bets on it.

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory, the penultimate episode of the current season, finished first in the ratings for its time slot and was the night's number #1 program in the key demographics.

"The Launch Acceleration" was watched by 13.63 million people, adding 980,000 people from last week, and scored an 8.3/14 rating in households. The show was up 6% in households and 8% in total viewers. When compared to American Idol in the shared half-hour, The Big Bang Theory finished first in total viewers and households.

In the important 18-49 demo, The Big Bang Theory scored a dominant 4.6/15 rating, up by 12% from 4.1/13 last week. The show scored a 5.8/17 among adults 25-54 and a 3.2/12 rating among adults 18-34, up 5% and 19% respectively. These were the show's best ratings since the March 29, 2012 episode. The Big Bang Theory was the night's top-rated program in adults 18-49, 25-54 and adults 18-34.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1693/Episode-523-Ratings/

I thought that I made my reasons pretty clear. Penny is very complacent towards Leonard. As she has mentioned, she is sure that there is no way that Leonard would ever break up with her. I also thought I was pretty clear that Leonard would not take up Priya on any offer she made for them getting back together. I want something to happen that lets Penny know that Leonard does have options but he prefers her. Perhaps she would no longer take him for granted. I also want to see Priya get her "comeupense". As far as Priya never appearing on the show again, I wouldn't make any bets on it.

I hate the way Penny acts like she is doing Leonard a favor by going out with him.

Here comes the Penny hate, a girl like Penny settles for a guy like Leonard and does someone really think Leonard breaking up w/her. Also Penny has the control of the relationship, she doesn't act like she's doing him a favor she cares deeply for him

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory, the penultimate episode of the current season, finished first in the ratings for its time slot and was the night's number #1 program in the key demographics.

"The Launch Acceleration" was watched by 13.63 million people, adding 980,000 people from last week, and scored an 8.3/14 rating in households. The show was up 6% in households and 8% in total viewers. When compared to American Idol in the shared half-hour, The Big Bang Theory finished first in total viewers and households.

In the important 18-49 demo, The Big Bang Theory scored a dominant 4.6/15 rating, up by 12% from 4.1/13 last week. The show scored a 5.8/17 among adults 25-54 and a 3.2/12 rating among adults 18-34, up 5% and 19% respectively. These were the show's best ratings since the March 29, 2012 episode. The Big Bang Theory was the night's top-rated program in adults 18-49, 25-54 and adults 18-34.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1693/Episode-523-Ratings/

I (probably not the only one) watch the ratings pretty closely. There sure isnt a whole lot scoring 4's these days that isnt a sporting event. Nice to know that 5 seasons in, the show is still such a beat.

No jack they don't, not sure where the soap opera is at? They didn't break up, that's what sitcom couples do, not everything is peachy.

Oh I know. That was just my shameless plug that the ratings that had just come out when I posted.

I've watched the episode twice, and I thought it was really witty & funny up until the scene with Howard & Bernadette's dad. that scene kinda lost me. the awkwardness of it... the dialogue... I don't know. also, it didn't really provide a solution, did it?

How many bodies do you see there? Careful, it's a trick question. :icon_lol:

Lol, that's one of my favorite lines in the episode! (:

My favorite line was "coooooooooooooookie". Really the entire "gas" scene. Kaley was so hot in that scene, but then again I would sell my soul to date her so any scene with her will be my favorite. :icon_redface:

My favorite line was "coooooooooooooookie". Really the entire "gas" scene. Kaley was so hot in that scene, but then again I would sell my soul to date her so any scene with her will be my favorite. :icon_redface:

Leonard was funny with his Mr. Grinch impression.

it's a shame that most male viewers watch because of "Kaley". :icon_confused:

Why would anyone watch if Kaley wasn't on? As for how hot she looks especially the loose shirt showing off her assests. I hope this ends the discussion on imdb of her being fat.

How many bodies do you see there? Careful, it's a trick question. :icon_lol:

Lol, that's one of my favorite lines in the episode! (:

SF6 (Sulphur Hexafluroide) is a heavier than air gas that has the opposite effect of helium. If they were really using the gas that's what they would use. But, since it is heavy than air, it can build up in your lungs and you actually need to turn upside down and exhale a few times to purge it properly. We have some at work. =)

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

my review:

Leonard's: "COOKIEEE" had me in stitches, I laughed so hard my tummy ached. I was watching with my boyfriend and he did too as well. He specifically asked me to see that scene again when I downloaded the episode... and we did... about 8 times :D it was a classic, classic moment.

As I said before, I loved the entire episode. Simon, Johnny & Mayim stood out on their performances, all of them really flawless in their deliveries and expressions.

The Shamy scenes were delightful. Howard & Bernie were sweet, but I found Howard & Bernie's dad scene completely hilarious. That guy really looked intimidating :D great casting and I like the way they portrayed Bernie's dad.

I don't undersand why some people claim Amy was being "manipulative"... she clearly said to Sheldon upfront what she was going to do and what she was trying to achieve. I don't see any deceit in that since she was completely honest to him about everything.. and he stil went along with it :D

I was a bit unconfortable with Leonard & Penny's scene when they are fighting, mainly because I think Penny overreacted. I mean, the guy proposed, she could have said no and ignore it, but she acted like if he had said something mean, or called another woman's name or somehting. I guess it does make sense with Penny's commitment issues, but still, I didn't like the way she treated Leonard.

Raj didn't have more than one scene, but he was funny, and besides, he couldn't have had a place in the rest of the storylines.

Leonard's & Sheldon's scene playing chess was completely perfect. I loved to see them discussing "their old ladies" and showing their best friends dynamic. I also liked the way they chose to have Sheldon expressing his feelings for Amy by being in denial and upset about it, (when really not) since it shows that Sheldon is increasing (note that he sad INCREASING, not STARTING.. implying he already had feelings for her.. -which if couse we knew, otherwise why would he ask her to be his girlfiend but is nice to hear it from his mouth-) while staying, by using that speech resource, completely in -character. Jim's delivery of the part where he remembers his "fantasy" about Amy was spot on. how he lingers a few seconds and stares into space. STANDING OVATION!, & Johnny's delivery of "she's good" was awesome. He said more with one line and a expression that many do with 1000 lines.

& well... the last scene with the Shamy Star Trek Roleplaying... it was completely awesome: "I'm in Hell", "Don't stop", perfect way to portray Sheldon's feelings conflicting with his own ideosyncrasies and the internal struggle he is caught up on :) loved it! -- You're a Vixen, Amy Farrah Fowler.

p.s: I also bet that scene is gonna cause SO many dirty Shamy fanfictions LOL

I really believed this episode felt like a big "in your face" from the writers to the people that still say that Sheldon being in love with someone would "ruin" his character. He did show this on this episode, and was still the same old Sheldon. That's what I felt, at least as I watched it.

• Like 1

Leonard was funny with his Mr. Grinch impression.

it's a shame that most male viewers watch because of "Kaley". :icon_confused:

I watched "Drew Peterson: Untouchable" "because of Kaley" (because why on Earth would anyone willingly watch a Lifetime movie). :icon_wink: I actually started watching TBBT because I watch tv ratings and it was this beast killing everything so I had to check it out. Of course I probably subconsciously stayed because of Kaley but in reality I stayed because of Jim.