The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Moon_Pie

Bernie's voice

I really like Bernadette's character and the relationship dynamic she has with Howard but I don't understant why they had to make Melissa talk wirh such a high-pitched voice. I'm used to it now but at first I hated it. It really spoils the character. What are your thoughts?

I like it now. at first, I thought it was too high pitched, but then seeing the first couple episodes with her, when she used her 'regular' voice, she sounded kinda bland/blah. I do like the voice she uses now. it gives her more character and also fits her quirky personality.

In general, I can deal with it but there are certainly lines she says with that high pitched voice that really annoy me for some reason. Like in that episode where she told everyone "I'm getting my Ph. D!" the way she said "Ph.D" really annoyed me. It actually makes me not like her for brief moments. She does kind of make up for it though when she talks like Howard's Mother... those lines are hilarious!

Doesn't bother me at all, I like it.

Especially because I think she's 50x more annoying on True Blood. I prefer her Bernadette character and performance.

I've never seen her in anything else. actually, that's true of most of the cast members, besides Leonard & Amy. (ha, I don't feel like looking up the spellings of their real names)

Never been a fan of the Bernadette voice. It doesn't sound real.

@ Kyzzx 50x more annoying on True Blood :icon_lol: haven't seen this but may have to find out now.

Yes but it was funny as all get out at the emergency room when she did "howard's mother" think we laughed until it hurt :icon_cheesygrin:

I like the voice she used during her first appearance better. It was much closer to Melissa's real voice and made Bernie a more believable character than she is now.

I like the voice she used during her first appearance better. It was much closer to Melissa's real voice and made Bernie a more believable character than she is now.

yeah, but if you remember, Bernadette's first appearance or 2, her personality was different- very bland and no sense of humor.

so when they brought her back, she had a personality upgrade, along with the new bubbly voice. personality equals/matches voice.

yeah, but if you remember, Bernadette's first appearance or 2, her personality was different- very bland and no sense of humor.

so when they brought her back, she had a personality upgrade, along with the new bubbly voice. personality equals/matches voice.

Yes she did. And it's much better like this because she is more interesting. I think she's a real cutie.

It's just something natural...happens to me to...it's hard to like someone if you talk to the person and the voice is wierd.

It's just something natural...happens to me to...it's hard to like someone if you talk to the person and the voice is wierd.

True. Or if they have a whistle, that distracts the heck out of me.

:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: I know what you mean. No offense to anyone but that is soooo annoying

Like the old geezer in Family Guy?

Regarding Bernadette's voice I thought it was interesting that they would go that way as normally the one with the high-pitched voice in American sitcoms tends to be stupid or scatter-brained. Its that type of character that annoys me rather than the voice itself

When Melissa Rauch was reading for the part of Bernadette she wanted to her voice to resemble her mother's voice so I guess that's how it all came about. But I agree that she would probably sound a lot more dull if it was just her regular voice. I find it irritating too, at the same time I think it wouldn't be as funny. It's really gotten a lot sharper in the recent episodes which makes me wish she kinda toned it down a little.

When I saw an interview of her, I wasn't aware it was different until she mentioned she changes the way speaks for the show. I mean, what I love about actors/actresses is how different they can transform themselves to fit into being a character. It's like, I find it interesting to see an actor be themselves when their usual roles are often very unlike them.

When Howard first met Bernadette (On their first date) her voice was almost normal, but as she progressed through the show it just got higher and higher, like she took in some helium (LOL!). It gets annoying at times but it fits with the personality of Bernadette, so I guess I just have to deal with it. :p

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I kinda like it, I think having that high pitch tone voice really goes well with Bernie's petite size and cute but sometimes creepy (her ebola virus mishap, flesh eating bacteria, etc) personality

I think her voice is cute, in a weird way. Then again I'm weird myself so... eh! As Sursonica said though, I don't like that creepy personality that pops up on her occasionally, it's kind of scary.

I kinda like it, I think having that high pitch tone voice really goes well with Bernie's petite size and cute but sometimes creepy (her ebola virus mishap, flesh eating bacteria, etc) personality

Exactly!

When she delivers lines about life threatening situations in the high pitched voice, it adds to the appeal/joke.

Any other creepiness... Silly little voice, tiny woman, cute blonde = a great character imo. I really like her.

The voice goes well with the character. But only the character on the show. lol! If I saw Melissa Rauch talking like that in an interview or in person it would look weird. Come on you have to admit it's true...

Exactly!

When she delivers lines about life threatening situations in the high pitched voice, it adds to the appeal/joke.

Any other creepiness... Silly little voice, tiny woman, cute blonde = a great character imo. I really like her.

Not to mention the hilarious contrast it adds when she yells like Howard's mom. xD