And it's even better than AC2!!!

Some high points:

-Brilliant looks: Constantinople has never looked better

-likeable main characters

-Good plot, although not as mindboggling as in AC2

-Altair sections are lot better now

-controls and playability has been smoothed out from AC2

-Lot sidequests with astonishing rewards

So, I'm very happy indeed that I bought this game!!!

I'm currently playing Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U (got that for free), AC3 on my PC and Super Mario Brothers on the Wii U.

I'm currently playing Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U (got that for free), AC3 on my PC and Super Mario Brothers on the Wii U.

The Mass Effect series went quickly & sharply downhill IMHO. The first was good... Not great (as far as Bioware standards went), but good. The second was severely dumbed-down and the third was trash. In all honesty, I haven't been exactly thrilled with the current state of gaming. I find it stagnant & uncreative with a severe lack of variety.

Mass Effect 3 had too many options to make the gameplay easier. But I love the overall story. It's fun to play

on the Wii U.

The stangant thing probably stems from the fact this cycle of consoles has lasted a lot longer than the likes

of Ubisoft and co expected. Thus they've held back somewhat on the investment and probably why

Ubisoft has been churning out Assassin's Creed games.

Mass Effect 3 had too many options to make the gameplay easier. But I love the overall story. It's fun to play

on the Wii U.

The stangant thing probably stems from the fact this cycle of consoles has lasted a lot longer than the likes

of Ubisoft and co expected. Thus they've held back somewhat on the investment and probably why

Ubisoft has been churning out Assassin's Creed games.

No, that's not what I mean. Gaming is just too cookie-cutter nowadays. It's not that the generation has gone on too long, it's that the generation has been pretty lame from the get-go. Walk into any game store, and it's shelf after shelf of a very few genres (mostly FPS), with little variety within as well as outside of those genres. Even other genres (especially RPGs) are starting to look like shooters (Mass Effect is a prime example). Gameplay has been severely dumbed-down, to the point where there's hardly any actual play left or skill needed. Too many aspects are automatic and too many games lead the player by the hand far too much. Hell, there is no such thing as a GAME OVER screen anymore. Players just spawn & continue from wherever they left off. Given enough time (not skill or growth), anyone can beat any game.

Another thing is that developers are compromising the core game-play for the inclusion of multi-player. Here's just one small example... Forza Motosport. Not that Forza is that realistic or the AI even mildly good, but if you know anything about racing, you know that drafting is a legitimate part of it. In Forza 3 & 4, there are even achievements for getting perfect drafts. That's all well and good, but if the player actually drafts during a race, he/she is penalized for cheating. Drafting is not cheating, it's a legitimate part of racing. It has been made cheating in an attempt to keep online players from using it to get better lap-times. Anyone who has drafted gets their lap-time flagged with a little "dirty lap" marker and sent to the bottom of the leader-boards. There's an achievement for it, yet doing it is cheating. Developers need to start concentrating on making either great single or multi-player games, but trying to do both is simply watering both sides down.

But back to my original point, there's just too many of too few types of games. Not everybody wants to play 100 different shooters and nothing else (though sadly some do). I like variety and I like diversion. To me, there is no difference in walking around shooting soldiers as opposed to walking around shooting zombies, aliens or whatever else developers want to throw at me, calling it  a "different" game. Even outside of shooters, other genres are extremely stagnant, with each game trying to be a clone or "better version" of some other game. Where are the one-off titles that don't look like anything else? They hardly exist anymore. Sure, there have been a few, but they are few, far between and go largely under the radar. I'd love to see some great point-n-click adventures, platformers or anything other than the shooters & shooter hybrids that litter store shelves today. The thing is, if you've played a handful of games today, you've played them all.

One huge issue (especially at Microsoft) is the lack of exclusives. This has severely cut down on variety, creativity and the development of new IPs. It has also homogenized the industry. There used to be differences (game-wise) between gaming on a Sega as opposed to a Nintendo or a Sony console. Sega had Sonic, while Nintendo had Mario & Sony had Crash, or Nintendo players would be playing Final Fantasy while Sega players would be playing Phantasy Star. Had Nintendo not had Mario, Sega would probably never have developed Sonic... And that's the real issue. From a game standpoint, the rivalries are gone. There is now very little separating or special from one "camp" to another. Seeing that you play on the Wii U, you can say Nintendo does have exclusives and is different from Sony & Microsoft... And you'd be correct. Unfortunately, Nintendo has different issues. Just as Sony & Microsoft have concentrated too heavily on too few genres, Nintendo has focused too heavily on cute, colorful games. Not that I have any issue with cute, colorful games. Remember, I like variety and love a game like Animal Crossing just as much as I love one like Dragon Age Origins. But Nintendo has it's own narrow focus issues. It also has the Wii-mote, which IMHO is an asset turned liability that has separated the Wii from gamers.

Yes, Ubi & a few other developers churning out sequel after sequel is a big problem, but today's sorry state of gaming goes well beyond just that.

Some old Command & Conquer, like Tiberian Sun (+Firestorm) and Red Alert 2 (+ Yuri's Revenge). Always liked them. :)

Due to severe back pain, I have not been able to move about much.

So I started replaying Skyrim with a new character.

Lasti time I played this game was last summer, so I have happily forgot most of the quests and stuff.

-So the game feels fresh again.

And as for games being too easy?

-Well, there are a lot of challenging games out there, if you bother to look.

Also, games might feel easy because you have been playing the same genre for years. To the players new to the genre, the same games will feel lot more difficult.

So, to get some challenge, it is good idea to buy games from genres you usually never play. Because the game's style is alien to you, you will feel the game a much more challenging than the games you usually play.

Personally I hated the old skool games where one misstep meant game over, retry from start.

-challenging is one thing, but in the bygone days of C64 some games were just torture.

At this moment in time, nothing! I am posting on forums. ;D

At the moment I am playing a video game I am developing myself for my college course. 

It is a basic 2D platformer (as that is what I am required to do to start with). 

I've named the game, 'Max Martian - Everyone's favourite hero!'. It's a pretty basic game in which you play as an alien who has to collect spare parts and repair your broken ship while battling the government. 

At this moment in time I am also trying out Fifa 13. 

It is descent. Many glitches, though. And as an up-and-coming games developer it's annoying to see so little effort put into some players in comparison to others. But I guess that is where the pressure of deadlines come in (usually). 

At this moment in time, nothing! I am posting on forums. ;D

At the moment I am playing a video game I am developing myself for my college course. 

It is a basic 2D platformer (as that is what I am required to do to start with). 

I've named the game, 'Max Martian - Everyone's favourite hero!'. It's a pretty basic game in which you play as an alien who has to collect spare parts and repair your broken ship while battling the government. 

At this moment in time I am also trying out Fifa 13. 

It is descent. Many glitches, though. And as an up-and-coming games developer it's annoying to see so little effort put into some players in comparison to others. But I guess that is where the pressure of deadlines come in (usually). 

That game plot is not the most original I've heard.

Here's a bit more unique concept:

-equip the hero with a watering can that he can fill from canisters found in the levels.

To progress in the game, the hero must plant and then water plants in right places. As the plants grow, the hero can climb these plants upwards to the next level.

The thing is that if you plant your seeds in wrong places or waste your water needlessly, you will be stuck!

Now that sort of uniqueness would give you a very good grade! And it might even make some game company take notice...

Ayesha Atelier.

Surprisingly addictive loli JRPG where crafting trumps combat

is that related to Atelier Iris, a game i had on PS2?

Still playing Skyrim. Most shouts collected, although many are useless. Killed about 20 dragons already, but due to a clitch, a dragon keeps appearing above a certain tiny village no matter how many times it is killed. Still, at least that means I never run out of dragon souls as the dragon in question always yelds a soul after being killed!

@sherm: yup same series. Ayesha is the 14th game in the series.

And yeah a lot of the shouts in Skyrim are useless.

The dragons will keep respawning too. It's not a glitch.

Edited by netmouse

@sherm: yup same series. Ayesha is the 14th game in the series.

And yeah a lot of the shouts in Skyrim are useless.

The dragons will keep respawning too. It's not a glitch.

Why they respawn. I was told that once you get the soul from them they cannot respawn...

Just how the game runs sherm.

Prime example is the dragon in Dawnstar. That thing just keeps spawning.

Unsure if the souls cap. I never unlocked all the shouts.

Just how the game runs sherm.

Prime example is the dragon in Dawnstar. That thing just keeps spawning.

Unsure if the souls cap. I never unlocked all the shouts.

BTW, the dragons in Skyrim are the weakest ever. You only have to lug dozen or so higher level spells at them and theyre dead.

-Might be more trying without magic, but luckily I've been concentrating on destruction magic/one hand weapon fighting style for the whole time.

But still. Just compare them to the scary dragons in Dragon Age Origins...

Now taking break from skyrim, and continuing Saboteur

Got Final Fantasy XIII-2 (for xbox360) last week, and it's brilliant!!!

Lot better than the original Final Fantasy XIII

Seriously, it's great fun and a real treat for any who likes japanese RPG:s

I did not much like FFXIII, and that is why I was hesitant to buy this sequel. But I'm glad I did because it's so great improvement in every way.

This makes me think that perhaps the upcoming FF might actually be worth waiting for.

We have not heard from Netmouse for a while. Is he on honeymoon?

-I mean usually he gets a new game once a week...

Wanted to play Settlers 3 and Monkey 3 on PC, but did not get them to work, even with compatibility modes. Oh dear.

Also played

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (bit rubbish)

Max Payne 3 (totally rubbish, and officilly the worst xbox360 game I've ever played)

So moving back to Skyrim...

Completed Skyrim, along with all the main missions.

Now playing the original Max Payne on PC. Its like zillion times better than the recent Max Payne 3!

Been playing a lot:

Completed the Testament of Sherlock Holmes.

-Great puzzle game, if a bit short.

Brink: A multiplayer shooter that has single player mode.

-unfortunately the single player mode just means that the other players are bots. So you have to play it like multiplayer, even when playing single player... :icon_rolleyes:

Shaun White skateboarding:

-It might be fun, if not for the crappy control system.

Icewind Dale on PC

-ah, the cold breeze of nostalgia!

GTA Vice City on PS2

-Did I really like this horrid game back in the day?

Started playing Sanctum 2, was on sale on Steam. Fun get in and get out kinda game.

Been playing a lot:

Completed the Testament of Sherlock Holmes.

-Great puzzle game, if a bit short.

LOL... I just ordered The Testament of Sherlock Holmes for the PS3! I love cerebral games as opposed to action. 

Even though I'm not a fan of sports games, I also ordered (from Amazon) MLB The Show '10 because it was only 89-cents!!!

Right now, I'm not really playing anything, though I do run a a few races on Forza Motorsport 4 every couple of days or so. I am anticipating a few games... Remember Me, The Last of Us and South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Edited by Anomaly

LOL... I just ordered The Testament of Sherlock Holmes for the PS3! I love cerebral games as opposed to action. 

Even though I'm not a fan of sports games, I also ordered (from Amazon) MLB The Show '10 because it was only 89-cents!!!

Right now, I'm not really playing anything, though I do run a a few races on Forza Motorsport 4 every couple of days or so. I am anticipating a few games... Remember Me, The Last of Us and South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Word of warning on sherlock: You have to listen very carefully to everything people say to you, and what sherlock says, if you are going to solve the deduction boards in the game. I skipped some conversations, and as a consequence, got stuck for hours. Still, by trying everything and looking everywhere, you usually get forward.

Now playing Icewind Dale 2. With cheats.

Now playing Crackdown 2

-Its entertaining, but the missions are not as good as in the first CD game.

Also got a huge patch for TR the last revelation. Hopefully it now works under XP...

and none of the old skool (pre 2000) games I downloaded for windows, worked. Well, Robocod did run, but it only run at one frame per sec, so not very playable...