Not Good Big Bang

I don't agree with the OP re Penny and Sheldon (at least as things stand with the characters at this time), but I do share his/her dislike of Leonard, and for the same reasons as he/she stated (although I might not have worded it so strongly). Let's face it, different strokes for different folks. I can accept that some like Leonard and think Sheldon's a jerk, so why can't others accept that some of us think just the opposite? As for L/P, I was OK with it the first time around (even if I wasn't interested in it), but this 2nd time around is causing me to lose interest in the show, too.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting then that it was Jim Parsons who won, is it three Emmy's for 'best lead actor in a comedy' if Leonard is the main character. I believe the show was intended that they would share the lead.

I don't believe I did attack Leonard/Penny fans, I may have made a couple of generalizations about the posts from them I have read. However never at any time did I call someone insane, stupid, delusional, a troll or any other of the petty names your group have called me.

Slicknickshady, I am sorry but I found your second last sentence indecipherable. Maybe Leonard is the one she wants, I just want to know why? I believe I have also mentioned more than once that it does appear unlikely Penny and Sheldon will get together with the way the characters are now. I believe I added I will content myself with the thousands of fanfictions available.

I am not alone, there are at least three different Penny/Sheldon fansites, all of which have thousands of members. I was unable to find one Leonard/Penny fansite. The bulk of Big Bang Theory stories on Fanfiction.net are Penny/Sheldon oriented. One day I counted up the Leonard/Penny fans on the show's forum and I think there were about forty.

Just once I would like one of you to give a rational, reasoned explanation of why you think these two are such a perfect couple, without becoming personally abusive.

And my marriage is perfect, thank you for asking. Mainly because my husband and I are compatible.

Cause they fit. Why DON'T they fit? Just because Sheldon and Penny have more life details in common? Leonard and Penny have a romantic chemistry. They are able to sit and talk and understand eachother, and they care about eachother. Why should I have to have a list of things they have in common to justify my interest in the couple? In fact, why should I have to give you a rational explanation as to why I like a canon couple at all?

You asking for reasons why we think Leonard and Penny are so perfect together would be like asking an actual couple "why specifically did you fall in love?" Of course, they are not going to sit there and give you a numbered list of things they have in common and such.

It was very well stated what you put. I agree. All i know is I LOVE Leonard and Penny together. They want to be together.

Just because a few fans don't, doesnt mean it's not there. The characters themselves feel it and thats all that matters.

All the cast and crew are Lenny shippers. I am friends on twitter with a number of Sheldon and Penny shippers. The difference is they don't go around bashing Leonard or Leonard and Penny. They don't argue and try to come up with anything that "oh Sheldon and Penny were obviously planned from the start" like some Sheldon and Penny shippers spread.

It's people like the thread starter here that drive me up the wall. No basis of fact in the OP.

You are asking us to come up with why Leonard and Penny are amazing together.

Why do you think Sheldon and Penny are? Whoops they have never been and never will be together so anything you say would be hogwash and a flat out lie.

From the beginning the writers have been pointing towards Leonard and Penny having a relationship together. Not once have they had Sheldon have the slightest romantic interest in Penny nor her him. Not Once. When she returned from taking him to Disneyland I think it perfectly demonstrates how she views him, as a little child. Considering the number of times that he has made comments on her love life he views her as a slut. They may be friends, but in no way have the writers ever shown them having any type of romantic interest in each other.

I am getting bored with all of the Sheldon and Penny shipper's constant overblown comments about Leonard simply because the character has blown their little fantasy bubble about Sheldon and Penny getting together. If Penny did hook up with Sheldon to me it would indicate that she has tendencies towards being a pedophile since it is obvious she thinks of him as an overgrown child. If she was one of those who finds Sheldon so sweet because he is so childlike and wanted to hook up with him because of that, then it is a very small step to go ahead and hook up with a child. Sounds a little sick to me. Fortunately for the majority of the fans, as I have said before, no one in a position of authority in the show would ever be crazy enough to have Sheldon and Penny become a couple.

By the way, Leonard did not "ruin" Sheldon's experiment. They kept all of the data, which failed to prove Sheldon's hypothesis. Because Sheldon's being a buttwad behavior kicked into overdrive, Howard and Raj were planning on killing him and Leonard came up with a way of calming him down and making him someone they could live with. As for Leonard being such a bad person because he would rather stay and "get into Penny's pants instead of chasing after Sheldon to Texas, DUH. He is a guy. I don't hear many guys blaming him for that, mostly women. Deal with it. Guys are like that. Sheldon has a temper tantrum and like a little child runs home to mommy while the hot blond next door is jumping all over Leonard trying to get him in the sack. Gee, what to do. Wait a few days to go after Sheldon while having a good time with the blond, or take off right now to get the little brat. It's a no brainer.

From the beginning the writers have been pointing towards Leonard and Penny having a relationship together. Not once have they had Sheldon have the slightest romantic interest in Penny nor her him. Not Once. When she returned from taking him to Disneyland I think it perfectly demonstrates how she views him, as a little child. Considering the number of times that he has made comments on her love life he views her as a slut. They may be friends, but in no way have the writers ever shown them having any type of romantic interest in each other.

I am getting bored with all of the Sheldon and Penny shipper's constant overblown comments about Leonard simply because the character has blown their little fantasy bubble about Sheldon and Penny getting together. If Penny did hook up with Sheldon to me it would indicate that she has tendencies towards being a pedophile since it is obvious she thinks of him as an overgrown child. If she was one of those who finds Sheldon so sweet because he is so childlike and wanted to hook up with him because of that, then it is a very small step to go ahead and hook up with a child. Sounds a little sick to me. Fortunately for the majority of the fans, as I have said before, no one in a position of authority in the show would ever be crazy enough to have Sheldon and Penny become a couple.

By the way, Leonard did not "ruin" Sheldon's experiment. They kept all of the data, which failed to prove Sheldon's hypothesis. Because Sheldon's being a buttwad behavior kicked into overdrive, Howard and Raj were planning on killing him and Leonard came up with a way of calming him down and making him someone they could live with. As for Leonard being such a bad person because he would rather stay and "get into Penny's pants instead of chasing after Sheldon to Texas, DUH. He is a guy. I don't hear many guys blaming him for that, mostly women. Deal with it. Guys are like that. Sheldon has a temper tantrum and like a little child runs home to mommy while the hot blond next door is jumping all over Leonard trying to get him in the sack. Gee, what to do. Wait a few days to go after Sheldon while having a good time with the blond, or take off right now to get the little brat. It's a no brainer.

*slow clap*

Very well said.

@rickfromillinois, I agree with your characterization. That was expressed very well. I particularly found your comment about staying with the hot blond or chasing after the child pitching a tantrum well said.

I heard that men think of sex on average every 7 seconds. Personally I think that's way low.

I heard that men think of sex on average every 7 seconds. Personally I think that's way low.

Dude, that's a myth. While I totally agree that Leonard is the far better match for Penny but this is not about the male sex drive, quite the opposite. This is about the drive of the ladies! Do you think the shippers are thinking about milk and cookies when they look at Sheldon? They think he's a hottie and sitcoms always put the hotties together… right? This is what we have come to expect in the predictable TV world.

BBT is unusual in this respect. Male/female comic tension without a romanic component is so rare and one of the things that makes this show special and different. But you will not avoid the girls panting over Sheldon (please no arguments about the actors own choices) he's an attractive character, who denies his urges and seems to need 'saving'. That's pretty much currency to women! I prefer Leonard as a match for Penny because they have similar emotions but it doesn't stop me looking at Sheldon. Some fans are just taking this looking a little too far and forgetting the characterisation of the show. Reading fans fiction has to alter your view as well.

I suppose one of the biggest problems I have is that I find it hard to understand the attraction to Sheldon. I think that Sheldon is a great comedic character but a romantic one? No way. What is romantically appealing about an adult male who acts like a spoiled child, has the sex drive of a stump, and has intimacy issues to the point of having difficulty in even hugging his twin sister? As I mentioned before, I think the scene where Penny returns from Disneyland with Sheldon sums up his character very well. I just don't understand why any women would look at him as a romantic figure. Want to adopt him maybe, but actually consider him as someone to go through life with, have children with, share your problems with? I don't think so.

BBT is unusual in this respect. Male/female comic tension without a romanic component is so rare and one of the things that makes this show special and different. But you will not avoid the girls panting over Sheldon (please no arguments about the actors own choices) he's an attractive character, who denies his urges and seems to need 'saving'. That's pretty much currency to women! I prefer Leonard as a match for Penny because they have similar emotions but it doesn't stop me looking at Sheldon. Some fans are just taking this looking a little too far and forgetting the characterisation of the show. Reading fans fiction has to alter your view as well.

I agree, and this is what I love about the whole scenario. The conventionally 'hot' girl is getting together with the good-hearted but conventionally unattractive nerd, while the nerdy, plain girl is bonded with the clueless, quirky but attractive-in-a-weird-way nerd (I'm assuming the majority of women would agree with this assessment?). It's truly symbolic of 'looks don't matter'.

(I should add that I think Mayim is attractive in real life, but Amy is purposely made to look dowdy and plain, to drive the point home. The same goes for Johnny/Leonard).

Yeah thats true. And Rick is right, Penny wouldn't be interested in Sheldon. If I were her and lived across the hall from two guys like that, I'd probably hate Sheldon more than she does and I'd date Leonard.

But watching the show is a different story. When I look at him on screen, I simply like what I see. It's just physical.

this is what I love about the whole scenario. The conventionally 'hot' girl is getting together with the good-hearted but conventionally unattractive nerd

...the only problem is, Leonard was shown as less and less good-hearted and made into a kind of a jerk in later seasons.

The writers need to redeem Leonard and make him likable again if they ever hope to make me care about his love life.

Also, it would help to find someone with whom he has chemistry. Passion, pizzas, intrigue, chemistry, attraction - I want to be entertained, goddarnit, not watch the paint dry! :icon_lol:

I suppose it is a matter of perception. Frankly I have trouble understanding the constant "Leonard has turned into a jerk" mantra that I keep hearing from some people. Is it because after Penny broke up with him for telling her that he loved her he moved on with his life and went out with other women? I haven't seen him do anything that to me makes him less then a regular and basically good guy trying to live his life. The writers do not need to "redeem" him because he doesn't need it. The other thing I have trouble understanding is the accusation that there is no "chemistry" between Leonard and Penny, while at the same time some people keep proclaiming the wonderful chemistry between Penny and Sheldon. I think that there is some very good chemistry between Leonard and Penny, much more this season then any of the others. As for Penny and Sheldon, maybe comedic chemistry but certainly none of the romantic kind. The scene where Penny comes back from Disneyland with Sheldon demonstrates perfectly her view of him. A little child. Any type of a romantic relationship between them after that is a single step away from Penny becoming a pedophile and trolling grade schools to pick up little boys.

Exactly, I talked to one of my friends today. HUGE sheldon fan, and when I told this friend of mine about some of the Sheldon diehards online my friend just shook her head. Said when comparing the two Leonard is the kind hearted guy girls would want to date and Sheldon isnt. And Sheldon is her favorite character.

Basically the conclusion we came to is people just bash leonard because he is standing in the way of there OTP when in reality...even without Leonard. There would be no thought of Sheldon and Penny getting together. Sheldon and Penny fans need a scape goat and Leonard is that and it's sickening.

I think the point i made thats really true is if Leonard was not a character in the series, Sheldon and Penny would still never think of getting together. Would never cross their mind. And Johnny and Kaley have the best Chemistry on the show. You all know they dated for a couple years in real life, when you date somebody, you have great chemistry.

When people claim Jim and Kaley have better chemistry. majority of the time those who say that are people who bash Leonard and think Sheldon and Penny were planned from the start. Seriously my friend was disgusted when i said a lot of people ship Sheldon and Penny. And SHELDON is her favorite character. She seconded all my opinions...How Penny views Sheldon as a Child. How Sheldon insults Penny.

This is someone who doesnt care for Leonard/Penny together either. So this friend of mine is unbiased. She sort of misses all the interaction of the four male characters. She loves the girls but feels they take the focus away more than they should. This friend doesnt think Leonard and Penny should get together till the end of the series if she had her way. So don't you dare say this friend of mine is Biased. She is 39. Doesn't care for ships. Is an unbiased viewer.

Yep, one thing i noticed is a lot of the people who ship Sheldon and Penny together think of penny as some sort of goddess who never does anything wrong and deserves someone better than Leonard and these people think Sheldon is that guy and perfect in every single way. These people make me shake my head. I love Penny. A great Character. She is not perfect though. She even admits it herself in the Season 4 finale when she acknowledged she made a mistake breaking up with Leonard.

\Leonard showed his heart telling Penny he loved her. A jerk doesn't act like that.

Telling a girl "I love you" doesn't make one a good guy. Words are wind.

But...words can express feelings. Are feelings wind? And it's not just that he said it. Anyone can say "I love you". I tell my cats that.

It's the time, place, and WAY he said it that gives it meaning. In fact the moment he said it was the sealer that made me think "they have GOT to keep this going now."

Also, are we maybe taking the details a little too seriously? This is tv. Not real life. Even in live action, you have to deal with a few inconsistencies with the characters.

Leonard is the only one for Penny from the 4 main male characters that we have been shown, and that is somewhat of a stretch when you think about it. Sheldon and Penny would be too much of a stretch. Leonard is the closest thing to being normal of the guys. Sheldon being with a woman only makes sense when the woman is someone like Amy.

As for discounting Leonard telling Penny that he loved her, I might be skeptical if he told her that in attempt to get her into bed, but they were in bed, and had already completed the sex act. This isn't real life, it is a TV show, and considering the circumstances under which it happened I think it is fair to say that the writers intended to let the audience know that the Leonard character loves the Penny character. As for words being cheap, we probably would be hearing complaints if Leonard never tells Penny that he loves her. By the way, he did go to Penny's ex-boyfriend to try to talk him into paying Penny what he owed her. Considering his previous encounters with the guy, Leonard showed a great deal of courage doing that. Considering that he and Penny weren't sleeping together at the time it showed that he does love IMO. Especially since he didn't tell her that he had gone to the guy to get him to pay off when Penny decided to go out with him again after he did pay her back. As Sheldon said, he was a hero.

Leonard is the only one for Penny from the 4 main male characters that we have been shown, and that is somewhat of a stretch when you think about it. Sheldon and Penny would be too much of a stretch. Leonard is the closest thing to being normal of the guys. Sheldon being with a woman only makes sense when the woman is someone like Amy.

As for discounting Leonard telling Penny that he loved her, I might be skeptical if he told her that in attempt to get her into bed, but they were in bed, and had already completed the sex act. This isn't real life, it is a TV show, and considering the circumstances under which it happened I think it is fair to say that the writers intended to let the audience know that the Leonard character loves the Penny character. As for words being cheap, we probably would be hearing complaints if Leonard never tells Penny that he loves her. By the way, he did go to Penny's ex-boyfriend to try to talk him into paying Penny what he owed her. Considering his previous encounters with the guy, Leonard showed a great deal of courage doing that. Considering that he and Penny weren't sleeping together at the time it showed that he does love IMO. Especially since he didn't tell her that he had gone to the guy to get him to pay off when Penny decided to go out with him again after he did pay her back. As Sheldon said, he was a hero.

But he really really wanted her to know and was upset when he found out Jake didn't tell her that Leonard had visited him. In the end, Penny got her money back, but Leonard still wasn't happy, even though getting the money back was what he said he wanted. Getting her money back wasn't his goal; hooking up with Penny was.

Leonard's shyness/quirkiness can come off sometimes that he is a nice guy, but he is no more or less nice than your average dude. He's shown courage and compassion, and also let his base instincts rule his behavior. He's a just a dude.

If Leonard had wanted her to know badly enough he could have told her. He was unhappy about it because Penny was going to go out with the guy again.

Yeah, go out with that guy and not with Leonard. Leonard tried to make a play, be the smooth silent hero, and was hoping Jake would tell Penny he came to visit him. It backfired in his face. He didn't tell her because he didn't think his visit worked, and he once again was bullied by that guy and was embarassed. Just my opinion of course. But I just feel Leonard tried to be slick and failed.