5.24 The Countdown Reflection [Season Finale] (May 10)

How do you rate the episode?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

Well I wont pile on saying the same things that have been said multiple times, but after watching the episode twice I thought it was great! The past 2 episodes seemed more like the old TBBT, well at least as far as I know as I havent seen alot of S5 yet and just starting the 3rd DVD in season 4 now. Overall very pleased with how they wrapped the season up.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been rewatching the ep recently and I know everyone focuses on Sheldon's hand-holding in terms of what it means regarding his relationship with Amy, and that's been discussed to death and is huge

Wheeeee! The finale is here! (Almost... ) I just can't wait. I'm so glad it looks like Howie is after all going into space. That will be super cool!

Lorre's vanity card for this episode was so touching. He talks about how he felt something so innately human about the final scene, the action of holding someone's hand conveying emotions, the need fo

Posted Images

Lol. That's funny that a married person is complaining about a character getting married, normally the person is single with no love life doing that.

Au contraire. In my experience, the people most passionately invested in fictional relationships are typically single, or their relationships are lacking. That's why they're living vicariously through their favorite characters. Those of us in meaningful relationships or happy being single don't need sitcoms to fill the gaps in our lives. We just want to laugh.

/\ /\

This! Fer shure!

Just watched & voted good. I thought it was a fun episode at times & at times a bit too much bickering among friends during a wedding..but that's my opinion :) Last week I thought was one of the best this season.

It was nice to have a ending that was not a cliffhanger like last time. Thought the flashbacks & space moments were done well. Howard really was good & I liked Mike Massimino a lot in this. He does have good comedy timing.

Loved Howard's remark to his Mom about Bernadette being the only woman that could yell at him after the wedding!

Amy wining about not being able to wear her bridesmaids dress & tiara got on my nerve btw..

I had a slight concern after the rocket lifted... that the next episode will have it explode.. with Howard vanishing, to be found years later wandering Siberia.. but with Mike there, they couldn't kill him, he's for real and the rocket gets to the ISS.

Is it true that just anyone can go on the Internet can be ordained to perform a wedding??

Why did the gang think it was a cool idea to have the wedding so that it would be photographed by Google Earth? It would be so small you could never see it.

They a buncha nerds!

Even knowing when the satellite would be passing is geeky.

That's what nerds do.

I don't know much about Google Earth, which is why I'm asking why they got married that way.

so a picture was taken of them on the roof getting married, and put on the internet. that's it?

is not "it" it's Google Earth!!!! :D

There is no "Google Earth satellite"... G.E. uses imagery from many satellites.

There's no way to determine when or even if a satellite passing over now is sending imagery that G.E. would use.

I'm just hoping the G.E. Street Maps Camera Car that passed through here a few months will have captured an image of me taking a picture of it. :)

If it did, I'll be sure to post it.

Yeah, the fact that the Leonard-Penny incident resurfaced from last ep. had me thinking.

My gut feeling... that the continuation across episodes has weight. Incidents introduced in an episode tend to be neatly wrapped up by the end of it: it makes it 'digestible', with episodes easy to watch respectively. When theme quite explicitly carries on? It's less of a 'surface' plot to bring out characters than something that'll influence character development as the show progresses.

Still, I think with the wide audience BBT receives, and also for repetition sakes, another wedding theme -- which would naturally be another finale -- is unlikely. And with a biiiiig blank summer to fill, it'd be disjointed to pick up the proposal as a pivotal event.

I still feel the accumulation of romantic tensions between Leonard and Penny up to this point need resolving. Season 6 seems the natural climax. I think Penny needs to be in 'full bloom' as a character -- receive a real positive influence (mmm toying with the career idea) -- to become decisive and 'fulfilled'? enough for a steady relationship. Even if it offers a contrast to the grounded Howard-Bernadette, the inconsistent 'picking' at them as a couple is tedious. Cover some ground people!

The series has never been noted for consistency in the characterizations between episodes.

Shelly most prominently fails here.

With his universal knowledge of everything, lapses in applying that knowledge are common.

His hissy fits over the "creation of a bailment" for instance.

In the episode where Penny gives him booze in his drink...

For any transaction like that, a "bailment" is created between the customer and the bartender, in that the customer has every expectation of receiving the exact drink he ordered, and not drink with poison (alcohol), that created the amusing scenes when his inhibitions got soused.

In character, the next morning, the hung-over Shelly would have had Penny up on charges of assault and battery, which would hold up in a court, being the total dork that he is about following all the rules.

I am a bit tired of the way they have chosen to do Leonard/Penny's relationship. For some reason Leonard has managed to have a stable and fairly normal relationship with a number of women, but they write him as an idiot with Penny. He consistently does the wrong thing and pisses her off. Penny spent the entire fourth season mooning over Leonard, confessed that she should never have broken up with him, then as soon as they get back together, she starts right away trying to keep her distance. So far this has been the way they are writing the, "new," relationship. What was all that mooning over him and being jealous of Priya? So, in a moment of passion, he asked her to marry him. What is that a crime? I thought she had decided she wanted to be with Leonard? Maybe she could have handled it better? Maybe she could have taken it serious and said she would think about it. No, the writers have her freak out. Stupid.

Leonard is pretty obviously written by the guys that do Alan Harper, who also talks himself out of nooky, in "2 and a Half Men" all the time.

I'm always at the screen "SHUT UP!!!!"... :)

This was a weak season with a weak ending imo.

I liked Howard's little scenes in the space capsule but the wedding scenes were starting to bore me after a while. The bickering between Leonard & Penny and Amy's constant whining about being a bridesmaid got on my nerves at some point. And I thought that last scene with the hand-holding was just plain cheesy, ugh.

Raj still trying for Bernadette... notice that?

I don't know if he was trying for Bernadette. She grabbed his hand.

But, if given the chance, he would move on her in a heartbeat. This is why I voted for him as the least trustworthy of the bunch.

I think the next logical step for Raj would be going to a therapist. I mean, I see it as the best thing he could do to get over his fear of talking to girls. I'd like to see him taking baby steps in that matter, you know? And yes, I would like to see more geeky stuff as well. I kind of think that the weirdness of the show was from episodes 15 to 20 of this season, or something like that. I really liked the last two and as someone else said, they brought back the whole uniqueness of the show. Is it weird for me to say that this weirdness in the episodes, came along with Sheldon gaining some weight? And his hair looked different too, that was driving me crazy. I know it's just looks, but I want my Sheldon skinny! Anyway, anything that's good and healthy for him is fine, it's not like he's overweighted or anything.

I agree. I would need a season 5 DVD, or a listing for season 5 to be able to pinpoint it, but around episodes 15 to 20 this season, something was wrong/off. I agree that sheldon's looks might have played a role, but I think it was more the writing/ and sheldon also acting "off" of character (which I have written about a lot). But the past two episodes, he was back and I loved it. I hope whatever went wrong has been fixed.

I need to edit and make it up through episode 22 though, instead of just 15-20.

Can we not let the Raj/Bernadette thing? It will probably never be mentioned again my god, he never even did anything about it, now I agree Raj needs to doing something about his therapy he was basically an afterthought this season. Agree Penny needs something with her Career I feel like she sees her never being happy with Leonard(or any guy) unless she's happy in her professional life.

He definitely seemed to be basically the old Sheldon the past 2 episode's. I hope there are some scenes from the space station with Howard and the astronauts in S6. I think with all the relationships this will give the writers more options to bring back the "guy's night's" (Halo, Vintage video games, Paint Ball, movies, etc) since they'll all need to get away from the women for a break from time to time.

Lol. That's funny that a married person is complaining about a character getting married, normally the person is single with no love life doing that.

Au contraire. In my experience, the people most passionately invested in fictional relationships are typically single, or their relationships are lacking. That's why they're living vicariously through their favorite characters. Those of us in meaningful relationships or happy being single don't need sitcoms to fill the gaps in our lives. We just want to laugh.

Not sure what the Au contraire when your post is basically my original post said, also it kind of sad if a person has to live their lives through a fictional person.

Is it true that just anyone can go on the Internet can be ordained to perform a wedding??

Why did the gang think it was a cool idea to have the wedding so that it would be photographed by Google Earth? It would be so small you could never see it.

My brother in law did.

Not if you zoom in.

Djvang if the show to you only has jumped the shark then why do you still watch you obvisouly continue to watch for a reason.

You've already tried the "If you don't absolutely love everything about the show then shut up and stop watching it" ploy. I've already explained to you that it hasn't yet reached the point (as it did with Two and a Half Men) where I'm going to stop watching it. But I'm concerned about the direction it's heading. If you can't tolerate any disagreement with your blind adoration for the show then I suggest you ignore all my posts.

Not sure what the Au contraire when your post is basically my original post said, also it kind of sad if a person has to live their lives through a fictional person.

My brother in law did.

Not if you zoom in.

Djvang if the show to you only has jumped the shark then why do you still watch you obvisouly continue to watch for a reason.

You've already tried the "If you don't absolutely love everything about the show then shut up and stop watching it" ploy. I've already explained to you that it hasn't yet reached the point (as it did with Two and a Half Men) where I'm going to stop watching it. But I'm concerned about the direction it's heading. If you can't tolerate any disagreement with your blind adoration for the show then I suggest you ignore all my posts.

There's no blind adoration just because I don't agree with you, like I said you must continue to watch for a reason, you come on here after every episode and gripe, why? The direction? Huh, because the characters are in relationships, newsflash the whole series has been about that just not yo this degree. As for the "If I don't absolutely love everything about the show then shut up and stop watching it", well your comments suggest you love absolutely nothing about the show.

But, if given the chance, he would move on her in a heartbeat. This is why I voted for him as the least trustworthy of the bunch.

Yeah you nailed it. Don't leave your girlfriend near Raj. He is a total hound dog since season 4. He would jump any woman with no regard to whose she is. He has absolutely no sense of loyalty to anyone.

Yeah you nailed it. Don't leave your girlfriend near Raj. He is a total hound dog since season 4. He would jump any woman with no regard to whose she is. He has absolutely no sense of loyalty to anyone.

Except you're both way off, yes he had a thing for Bernadette it didn't go pass that, guys that you don't leave near your now wife do more than that so settle down.

I haven't noticed Sheldon being too different.... And the physical changes to Jim Parsons don't bother me at all.

"Robot" Sheldon is over with... The last scene of the finale shows it IMO. "Boldy Go Howard Wolowitz" was FULL of emotion and admiration in a way not yet seen from Sheldon, ever.

The old Sheldon was mostly entertaining, I understand for some he was the #1 reason to watch the show. But I'd be quite pleased if Sheldon continued to change, continued to inch closer to normal daily human emotional interaction. To NOT do so severely cheapens the finale - so... Bye bye Robot!

Raj was thinking about HOWARD - not Bermadette during the launch scene. She reached out to HIM. Why? Because she knows he cares for his friend a great deal, she knows he spends a lot of time alone and she knows the marriage will get in the way of their friendship, or at least change it significantly/reduce the amount of time the spend together.

She held his hand perhaps in part to let him know she understands all this, and perhaps Raj will still get to be a part of Howard's life in a big way, not just because Bernadette will ALLOW it, but because she WANTS it. And that she was thrilled to be sitting next to him during the launch. There was ZERO sexual tension there. Those who are inserting it COMPLETELY missed out on the intention of the scene imo.

On a side note, Bernadette was "surface of the sun" hot in her gown. Wow.

I agree that the scene with raj and bernie had nothing to do with any attraction. I think they are past the whole raj crush thing.

I have no problem with sheldon changing. I loved the last two episodes, because the writing for sheldon was good. Antoher example was the bird episode (when he pet the bird) -- I loved that one. There are many episodes from season 5 I have loved and showed sheldon making developments (like the one where he asked amy to be his girlfriend and the one where his mother came to visit). But what I was saying before is that there were many episodes this season where he just didn't seem right, and was not very funny. It has nothing to do with him being a robot. Some of his greatest moments have been when he is not being a robot, and that goes for all seasons.

I find it interesting that most people here seem to have loved the last the last two episodes more than the few before that. In episodes 20 - 22, Amy either wasn't present or had no interaction with Sheldon. In 23/24, they were back with a bang.

I think this means, at least, that the writers are doing their best job nowadays when they're writing Sheldon and Amy together.

My brother in law did.

Not if you zoom in.

There's no blind adoration just because I don't agree with you, like I said you must continue to watch for a reason, you come on here after every episode and gripe, why? The direction? Huh, because the characters are in relationships, newsflash the whole series has been about that just not yo this degree. As for the "If I don't absolutely love everything about the show then shut up and stop watching it", well your comments suggest you love absolutely nothing about the show.

So because I criticize the direction of the show therefore I "love absolutely nothing about the show" ? What an incredible leap of illogic. I'm done trying to deal with you. You make so many ridiculous assumptions about what people post it's hard to know where to start. I've only been on here this season. If I had been here the first four seasons you wouldn't have heard a single gripe. The show was fantastic. This season it's only been pretty good. Still better than most shows but not nearly as good as it was. If you don't see the change of direction in the show then you're the only one. A lot of people happen to like the change of direction to focus more heavily on the romantic relationships but I don't. Excuse me for daring to disagree. You obviously aren't mature enough to handle honest differences of opinion so just ignore what I write. It'll save both of us a lot of time. This will be my last response to you so save your tiresome yapping for others.

I find it interesting that most people here seem to have loved the last the last two episodes more than the few before that. In episodes 20 - 22, Amy either wasn't present or had no interaction with Sheldon. In 23/24, they were back with a bang.

I think this means, at least, that the writers are doing their best job nowadays when they're writing Sheldon and Amy together.

Well the episodes that Amy was gone and were Sheldon centered, if the episodes were she and Sheldon are featured together are funny than others I don't think it's intentional I think it just happens that way.

Except you're both way off, yes he had a thing for Bernadette it didn't go pass that, guys that you don't leave near your now wife do more than that so settle down.

He tried to do something about it. When he thought Bernadette was going to dump Howard, Raj went to the Cheesecake Factory and tried to move in on her. Penny busted him out for it. He is not someone you trust with your wife or girlfriend.

My brother in law did.

Not if you zoom in.

So because I criticize the direction of the show therefore I "love absolutely nothing about the show" ? What an incredible leap of illogic. I'm done trying to deal with you. You make so many ridiculous assumptions about what people post it's hard to know where to start. I've only been on here this season. If I had been here the first four seasons you wouldn't have heard a single gripe. The show was fantastic. This season it's only been pretty good. Still better than most shows but not nearly as good as it was. If you don't see the change of direction in the show then you're the only one. A lot of people happen to like the change of direction to focus more heavily on the romantic relationships but I don't. Excuse me for daring to disagree. You obviously aren't mature enough to handle honest differences of opinion so just ignore what I write. It'll save both of us a lot of time. This will be my last response to you so save your tiresome yapping for others.

Well considering I haven't seen a good comment about the show lately that's only natural, of course I see the show changing but unlike you I see it as evolving and will be even better, you keep bringing up relationships but that's been a main thing throughout the series, maybe it hurts to watch nerds not only have gfs but like ones that are on the show, because you're unhappy in your life and are lonely like raj is, but unlike raj if his mutism is cured he'd been crawling with women on his arms.

He tried to do something about it. When he thought Bernadette was going to dump Howard, Raj went to the Cheesecake Factory and tried to move in on her. Penny busted him out for it. He is not someone you trust with your wife or girlfriend.

You're making a big deal out of nothing, there was no sexual tension, this is in the past and lets keep it there, he was going to do something is because he just like the rest thought Bernadette was going to break up with howard, it's not like he was going to make a move regardless, the one you keep trying to compare Raj to is a guy that tries to steal your gf regardless of the circumstances, Raj is a little lonely.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Raj didn't think about it. I noticed earlier on another site someone suggested that Howard might not come back! and Raj would go for Bernadette. What a dark thought! Some fans are already killing off Howard. :icon_eek: Which is unlikely given his character has been so strong this season. But it does go to show some fans think Raj would move in.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Raj didn't think about it. I noticed earlier on another site someone suggested that Howard might not come back! and Raj would go for Bernadette. What a dark thought! Some fans are already killing off Howard. :icon_eek: Which is unlikely given his character has been so strong this season. But it does go to show some fans think Raj would move in.

What a dark thought indeed, this isn't a drama or soap opera, why would they kill off Howard with the season he had.

I don't think it is completely because amy was back that I think some things were off in some of the earlier episodes. I love the shamy, but I am talking about something more specific with the comedy aspect.

Here is a specific example. Keep in mind I am going off memory here. In the episode from earlier seasons, where sheldon is scared to give his speech in front of people, he is talking to penny about his fears, and the dialogue is going on, and then he gets this look on his face, he pauses and he faints. It was hilarious and unexpected. This season, in the episode where he is in the lab with amy, he sees the blood on his finger and then quickly faints and we don't even really see his face. And then he faints again later in the cheesecake factory when he sees his finger again (very predictable). I did not find either one very funny. The timing was off, it was not unexpected, and there was no dialogue to go with it that made it very funny. It was very predictable and he fainted so fast, that there wasn't a chance to really find it funny. Just my opinion. This is just a very specific example of how in some episodes, the writing and directing seemed to be off.

In the finale episode, when amy gave her little speech at the wedding, right afterwards, all of the gang was looking at her with looks on their faces that was just genius. The timing there was perfect. I found that scene hilarious.

Another example from the finale episode, when bernadette tells sheldon he can't do the ceremony in klingon, he looks at her for a moment, and then with perfect timing, turns to howard and says, "i don't see what you see in her." I LOLed. It was perfect.

I loved that epsidoe but I thought the whole"all of them became minsiters and they all said the minsiter thing in unison" was abit cheesy.

I just LOVED the bit at the end where sheldon holds amys hand.Its just his face and the way she looked at him when he held her hand just made me melt inside.

I can't wait for season 6 and I hope there is a lot of shamy in there