5.24 The Countdown Reflection [Season Finale] (May 10)

How do you rate the episode?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

Oh, it WILL happen. Probably next season. I can already see the teasers - "Is this the night Sheldon and Amy finally realize their true love for each other?". And the Shamy's will be wild with ecstasy and the ratings will be huge and the shark will jump even higher. Then what?

the shark has died, it is not available for jumping anymore.

And second, if you think that if they do Sheldon and Amy act all lovey-dovey, wild and in ecstasy.. you are clearly not paying attention.

This.

These two have reached a point of voluntary hand-holding after literally two years of being together - which is being looked at as a huge step for them. And yet they're being labeled a run-of-the-mill couple. Does this look like what couples usually do on-screen? In real life?

Or are you like Sheldon - 'Two years back I didn't know you, now I'm in your apartment after dark. How much faster can this thing go?' :D

I loved that line, but alas, it is another inconsistency. When sheldon went on the girl's night, he came back to amy's apartment after dark and it was early on in their friendship.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been rewatching the ep recently and I know everyone focuses on Sheldon's hand-holding in terms of what it means regarding his relationship with Amy, and that's been discussed to death and is huge

Wheeeee! The finale is here! (Almost... ) I just can't wait. I'm so glad it looks like Howie is after all going into space. That will be super cool!

Lorre's vanity card for this episode was so touching. He talks about how he felt something so innately human about the final scene, the action of holding someone's hand conveying emotions, the need fo

Posted Images

This.

These two have reached a point of voluntary hand-holding after literally two years of being together - which is being looked at as a huge step for them. And yet they're being labeled a run-of-the-mill couple. Does this look like what couples usually do on-screen? In real life?

Or are you like Sheldon - 'Two years back I didn't know you, now I'm in your apartment after dark. How much faster can this thing go?' :D

I loved that line, but alas, it is another inconsistency. When sheldon went on the girl's night, he came back to amy's apartment after dark and it was early on in their friendship.

I think there's a catch here. Sheldon was in her apartment after dark on the girls' night, and then again when they cuddled, and again when he went with his bongos. Indeed, he has been in all his friends' apartments (including Penny) after dark, several times.

The catch is that he now realizes that being in his girlfriend's apartment after dark has a different connotation. He's not that innocent any more. The consciousness probably started to set in around the time of the bongo incident, when he refused to take her bed. And his comment came from this consciousness of 'something more', not from any contention of never having been at anyone's place after dark before this.

Chuck Lorre sent out a sentiment saying everyone needs a hand to hold(refering to the final scene), as Sheldon would say what am I a hippie.

Anyone else here think it bothered sheldon that penny turned down leonard's proposal?

"Are you wearing aloe vera? Because you just got burned." Loved that line!

I was trying to figure out why he kept commenting on it, since when is he their biggest supporter, he even commented on how they'll break up again when they first started the beta test.

@Rouge849 the reasoning for the beta test is Penny wanted to take it slow especially after last time and to work out their issues(that might be out the window now).

What makes you think that it might be out the window now?

They've ruined a great show. But awwwwwwwwww, wasn't it so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute that everyone is in looooooooooooooooove? I'm sure the show will continue to get great ratings but it's no longer unique. They've sold out. And before the estrogen crowd starts throwing their purses at me, the second the show ended my wife turned to me and said - "They've ruined it."

I find this attitude very interesting. You are sitting there with your wife, in the comfort of your home and a committed loving relationship, and jointly wishing on these characters a lifetime of singlehood, frustration and loneliness. I mean, how dare they get married? The horror!

Lol. That's funny that a married person is complaining about a character getting married, normally the person is single with no love life doing that.

Disgusted no last week's episode was last weeks episode not the finale. CBS has the two broke girls and how I met your mother as a hour finale, Also there was two new episodes back to back to start the season off.

Two Broke Girls is worthy of nothing, hope it gets canned this summer.

They've ruined a great show. But awwwwwwwwww, wasn't it so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute that everyone is in looooooooooooooooove? I'm sure the show will continue to get great ratings but it's no longer unique. They've sold out. And before the estrogen crowd starts throwing their purses at me, the second the show ended my wife turned to me and said - "They've ruined it."

I find this attitude very interesting. You are sitting there with your wife, in the comfort of your home and a committed loving relationship, and jointly wishing on these characters a lifetime of singlehood, frustration and loneliness. I mean, how dare they get married? The horror!

Psst - THEY'RE NOT REAL! They're characters in a TV show whose sole purpose is to be funny. There have been thousands of romantic relationship shows. Why did they have to turn a unique comedy series into just another dime-a-dozen Ross/Rachel chickfest?

Lol. That's funny that a married person is complaining about a character getting married, normally the person is single with no love life doing that.

Disgusted no last week's episode was last weeks episode not the finale. CBS has the two broke girls and how I met your mother as a hour finale, Also there was two new episodes back to back to start the season off.

I'm not complaining about Howard getting married. He's a supporting character. It's the Sheldon/Amy relationship that threatens the core of the show.

Really? Friends was pretty damn popular last I checked.

Not sure what two broke girls ratings are but they were nominated( can't remember if they won) for best new comedy, two and a half men is what needs to go away.

About The Friends reference in was responding to the previous post about it.

Lol that will tell you how messed up those things are because Suburgatory won something as well(or was nominated)

@BazingaFan - I see your point. I loved the Vacation Solution episode on the whole, because it continued the Physics/Biology dispute (I feel a personal connection with that kind of thing ;) ) and also because I thought Sheldon's apology at the end was really heartfelt and perfectly played. But I can see how the fainting bits may be seen as over-the-top.

The premise of the show was two nerds become friends with the hot neighbor and they change each other's worldviews/lives because of how different they are. That includes Sheldon, not just Leonard. Over the years Sheldon has evolved and learned more about relationships through this group of friends, espcially Leonard and Penny IMO, and has consequently become more "human" and I think that was always the intended path for his character given the basic premise of the show and not something they decided to do along the way. He's come to rely on and care about people and develop real friendships and human connections. It's been very gradual and started before Amy even came on the show as a regular. In Amy he's found a kindred spirit and someone to care about, and without even consciously realizing it half the time (see the hand holding scene) he's developed real affection for her and sees her as a true source of support. Sheldon is and always will be unique, I don't see why that precludes him from ever being in a romantic relationship. And it's not like it's a conventional romantic relationship anyways, it's totally in keeping with his character.

This, absolutely. Sheldon was never meant to be a stagnant character - this was clearly established early on, when he gradually grew into his odd friendship with Penny in spite of initially resisting her, and most of all in Staircase Implementation, which showed how much more quirky and anti-social he was before he met the other guys. So it can be safely said that Sheldon's emotional and social evolution is an ongoing process on the show, and his attachment to Amy and its consequences are just another phase in this fascinating journey we're getting to see.

You know this got me to thinking. I almost think that this was what the show was supposed to be about. I look at the key word "Theory" and how Sheldon is arguably the main central character of the show. How he started out and what he's becoming. I admit to being a late bloomer of the show. I don't know what "The Big Bang Theory" exactly is here in real life but I believe it's history/science type of a thing. When I first heard about the show for that I was disinterested. But then a year ago I was watching something and doing something else and that show ended and the first day of syndication came on. I watched the first couple minutes and the jingle. I knew right then I overestimated what this show would be. I had a hunch there would be some science but I had no idea it would be somewhat close to normal/basically normal. Theres some quirkyness but I was thrown for a curve ball. I think this show is relatable to the majority of the population. Many people know a guy who is a smartass and tries to pick up women in aperverted manner. Many people know a guy who is shy. Many know a guy who suffers from substance abuse. Many know a guy who is full of himself. Many know a nerdy guy who is dating a girl out of his league. Many know the hot girl who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and is a mess inside. Many know the girl who broadcasts herself too much and uses her looks to her advantage.

@BazingaFan - I see your point. I loved the Vacation Solution episode on the whole, because it continued the Physics/Biology dispute (I feel a personal connection with that kind of thing ;) ) and also because I thought Sheldon's apology at the end was really heartfelt and perfectly played. But I can see how the fainting bits may be seen as over-the-top.

The premise of the show was two nerds become friends with the hot neighbor and they change each other's worldviews/lives because of how different they are. That includes Sheldon, not just Leonard. Over the years Sheldon has evolved and learned more about relationships through this group of friends, espcially Leonard and Penny IMO, and has consequently become more "human" and I think that was always the intended path for his character given the basic premise of the show and not something they decided to do along the way. He's come to rely on and care about people and develop real friendships and human connections. It's been very gradual and started before Amy even came on the show as a regular. In Amy he's found a kindred spirit and someone to care about, and without even consciously realizing it half the time (see the hand holding scene) he's developed real affection for her and sees her as a true source of support. Sheldon is and always will be unique, I don't see why that precludes him from ever being in a romantic relationship. And it's not like it's a conventional romantic relationship anyways, it's totally in keeping with his character.

This, absolutely. Sheldon was never meant to be a stagnant character - this was clearly established early on, when he gradually grew into his odd friendship with Penny in spite of initially resisting her, and most of all in Staircase Implementation, which showed how much more quirky and anti-social he was before he met the other guys. So it can be safely said that Sheldon's emotional and social evolution is an ongoing process on the show, and his attachment to Amy and its consequences are just another phase in this fascinating journey we're getting to see.

You know this got me to thinking. I almost think that this was what the show was supposed to be about. I look at the key word "Theory" and how Sheldon is arguably the main central character of the show. How he started out and what he's becoming. I admit to being a late bloomer of the show. I don't know what "The Big Bang Theory" exactly is here in real life but I believe it's history/science type of a thing. When I first heard about the show for that I was disinterested. But then a year ago I was watching something and doing something else and that show ended and the first day of syndication came on. I watched the first couple minutes and the jingle. I knew right then I overestimated what this show would be. I had a hunch there would be some science but I had no idea it would be somewhat close to normal/basically normal. Theres some quirkyness but I was thrown for a curve ball. I think this show is relatable to the majority of the population. Many people know a guy who is a smartass and tries to pick up women in aperverted manner. Many people know a guy who is shy. Many know a guy who suffers from substance abuse. Many know a guy who is full of himself. Many know a nerdy guy who is dating a girl out of his league. Many know the hot girl who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and is a mess inside. Many know the girl who broadcasts herself too much and uses her looks to her advantage.

I personally feel they wanted leonard to be the main character at first. In the pilot, leonard is the one that talks about his experiments with string theory and says he wants to get the nobel prize. That was quickly moved over to sheldon, though, and it wasn't but a few episodes later that sheldon started to really shine. just my opinion.

Chuck Lorre said Big Bang has a double meaning, but he was talking about sex.

So what you're saying of what you wrote is we've seen this before.

It's not hate if it's true and the funny thing is most of what is said is true.

It's not true.

Keep telling your self that maybe you'll believe it

I personally feel they wanted leonard to be the main character at first. In the pilot, leonard is the one that talks about his experiments with string theory and says he wants to get the nobel prize. That was quickly moved over to sheldon, though, and it wasn't but a few episodes later that sheldon started to really shine. just my opinion.

Chuck Lorre said Big Bang has a double meaning, but he was talking about sex.

What are you talking about Leonard has never talked about proving string theory, they wanted Sheldon to be the focus, Penny goes to his board asks if he's one of those beautiful mind guys, the show wouldn't be where it is with him(maybe even on).

Of course Lorre said that he's a pervert look at all the shows he has on.

What are you talking about Leonard has never talked about proving string theory, they wanted Sheldon to be the focus, Penny goes to his board asks if he's one of those beautiful mind guys, the show wouldn't be where it is with him(maybe even on).

In the Pilot, Leonard talks about how he saw the fingerprint of string theory in the remnants of the big bang.

Well he's never tried to proven given that his work consits of taking someone else's ideas and calling it his own.

Leonard doesn't take other people's ideas and call them his own.

Leonard is an experimental physicist and that means doing some original work, but it also requires that he do some amount of validation of the work that other people do. This is how the scientific process works - many people must repeat an experiment to validate it before it is accepted.

The whole idea that Leonard is "ripping off" other scientists is purely coming from Sheldon. When Sheldon says things like this he is either being a dick or illustrating that he doesn't have a grasp of, or an appreciation of, the scientific process.

When the show started Leonard was the central character. Sheldon was just the quirky roommate.

As the show progressed I guess a lot of people liked the Sheldon character so they gave him more and more of a central role.

I would say that Leonard is still the central character. Without him there would be no reason for any of the others (except Amy perhaps) to ever interact with Sheldon at all.

@cbolt -- I am talking about the pilot and the first few episodes. The first real sheldon-based episode is s1e4. The three before that I feel were very centered around leonard, and if you watch the pilot, it is leonard that talks more about his big bang research and that he wants the nobel prize. It's just my personal opinion/guess that it started out with them thinking leonard would be the main character.

@cbolt -- I am talking about the pilot and the first few episodes. The first real sheldon-based episode is s1e4. The three before that I feel were very centered around leonard, and if you watch the pilot, it is leonard that talks more about his big bang research and that he wants the nobel prize. It's just my personal opinion/guess that it started out with them thinking leonard would be the main character.

There's one episode where everyone goes to Raj's house, except Shelly, who invites (by bribing) his acquaintances to his house.

The show was touted as showing the group revolves around Leonard.

Well he's never tried to proven given that his work consits of taking someone else's ideas and calling it his own.

Leonard is an experimental physicist and that means doing some original work, but it also requires that he do some amount of validation of the work that other people do. This is how the scientific process works - many people must repeat an experiment to validate it before it is accepted.

The whole idea that Leonard is "ripping off" other scientists is purely coming from Sheldon. When Sheldon says things like this he is either being a dick or illustrating that he doesn't have a grasp of, or an appreciation of, the scientific process.

When the show started Leonard was the central character. Sheldon was just the quirky roommate.

As the show progressed I guess a lot of people liked the Sheldon character so they gave him more and more of a central role.

I would say that Leonard is still the central character. Without him there would be no reason for any of the others (except Amy perhaps) to ever interact with Sheldon at all.

As for Leonard's work it's not Sheldon saying that and this most of what he does, uses other scientists ideas and thinkers with them.

Leonard is important but not to that degree, I have a feeling Penny might had found a way into Sheldon's life if Leonard didn't live there it would take longer but she would worm her way in.

There's one episode where everyone goes to Raj's house, except Shelly, who invites (by bribing) his acquaintances to his house.

The show was touted as showing the group revolves around Leonard.

Considering that episode was towards the end of season 4 it's a little late to all of a sudden to do that.

Well he has talked about that since, I guess they realized Leonard was a little bland and what they had in Sheldon.

I agree that at the beginning of season 1 , it was very leonard "heavy" but that doesn't mean that the initial idea was to revolve the who show around leonard.With out leonard , there would be no raj or howard,so there would be no amy and bernardette(as there would be no-one to put sheldon into a dating site and no one to be set up with bernardette).It is also very unlikely that there would be any penny as leonard was the one that invited her to their apartment.

Also without Sheldon ,the show would be a lot less popular as Sheldon is proberly the most comical character in the program.If you ask someone who doesn't watch the big bang theory very much for the name of a character , I bet that the first name they say will be sheldon.

I think Bazingafan may be right. The show was intended to revolve around Leonard. He's the nerd who wants to be normal and the central female is his love interest with the guys all being his friends.

It's just that Sheldon become so instantly popular because of how well Jim portrayed him that he took over much of the comic aspect of the show. But Leonard is still very much the guy who the show is about, he's still the focal character... in my opinion.

I agree that at the beginning of season 1 , it was very leonard "heavy" but that doesn't mean that the initial idea was to revolve the who show around leonard.With out leonard , there would be no raj or howard,so there would be no amy and bernardette(as there would be no-one to put sheldon into a dating site and no one to be set up with bernardette).It is also very unlikely that there would be any penny as leonard was the one that invited her to their apartment.

Also without Sheldon ,the show would be a lot less popular as Sheldon is proberly the most comical character in the program.If you ask someone who doesn't watch the big bang theory very much for the name of a character , I bet that the first name they say will be sheldon.

You make a good point. Without Leonard it's hard to envision the rest of the cast existing. It would be Sheldon and Penny living across the hall and with how much Sheldon hates socializing they might never speak outside of the stairs.

I think Bazingafan may be right. The show was intended to revolve around Leonard. He's the nerd who wants to be normal and the central female is his love interest with the guys all being his friends.

It's just that Sheldon become so instantly popular because of how well Jim portrayed him that he took over much of the comic aspect of the show. But Leonard is still very much the guy who the show is about, he's still the focal character... in my opinion.

I guess I could see that. It's just Leonard has regressed from the beginning IMHO.

Great ending. No annoying cliffhangers, both science and popculture present, everything in-character on everyone's side. Very emotional (especially the star necklace scene) but not sentimental, and overall really nice.

My favourite moment: Amy's look at Sheldon when he took her by the hand at the moment of the spaceship's start. Maybe I liked it so much only because I like the characters, but hey, who'd expected THAT of him? Second prize: Howard's conversation with the lady in the town hall. 'Yeah, me two. See you there.' :D

I totally disagree with that. Sheldon is an intriguing character but most of the good comedy has always come from Howard.

I hate saying it but i miss the old Howard more than the old Sheldon. I feel as if Howard's character is somewhat ruined.

I hear ya about Howard's character being changed. now he's married, so he is (unfortunately) gunna be a different Howard. I just hope the writer's don't focus too much on the marriage storyline (in terms of martial issues, having kids, etc). I just don't want the show to turn into a romantic comedy. :icon_eek:

Arrrrgh! No time to post, LOL.

Finally saw the finale episode, I enjoyed it very much. Howie and Bernadette are the cutest and most realistic couple! I just can't imagine Howard living in marital bliss. Are the newlyweds going to move? Will they keep on living with Howard's mom? Will Howard really change, or will he relapse into his usual repulsive self? Oooh! The possibilities!

I'm so happy Howard made it into space. But I imagine he'll turn into an unsufferable narcisist next season - he's been to space while no one else from his envirnoment had! Oooh, how he's going to rub it in, LOL!

Sheldon and Amy were very funny. Leonard and Penny were very boring, as usual.

The final moment was awesome. Isn't it funny, how both Penny and Sheldon are so overwhelmed with emotion that they reach out to hold the hand of their respective closest friend? Say what you will, the juxtaposition was intriguing. The two are much more alike than you would think.

Finally saw the finale episode, I enjoyed it very much. Howie and Bernadette are the cutest and most realistic couple! I just can't imagine Howard living in marital bliss. Are the newlyweds going to move? Will they keep on living with Howard's mom? Will Howard really change, or will he relapse into his usual repulsive self? Oooh! The possibilities!

I'm so happy Howard made it into space. But I imagine he'll turn into an unsufferable narcisist next season - he's been to space while no one else from his envirnoment had! Oooh, how he's going to rub it in, LOL!

The final moment was awesome. Isn't it funny, how both Penny and Sheldon are so overwhelmed with emotion that they reach out to hold the hand of their respective closest friend? Say what you will, the juxtaposition was intriguing. The two are much more alike than you would think.

Bout time after all the bagging he has recieved for not having a PHD

Without Sheldon the show wouldn't be anything special, just a nerd trying to get the hot chick, next.

You make a good point. Without Leonard it's hard to envision the rest of the cast existing. It would be Sheldon and Penny living across the hall and with how much Sheldon hates socializing they might never speak outside of the stairs.

I guess I could see that. It's just Leonard has regressed from the beginning IMHO.

Boy has he ever.

About the last paragragh what are you trying to say?

I agree on both points.

I do think the show started off with Leonard as more of the emotional focus of the show (along with Penny), while Sheldon was the quirky roommate. But they hadn't predicted how lightning-in-a-bottle the Sheldon character would be. With the kind of public interest he got, he quickly became much more central.

Still, to this day, Sheldon's oddball dialogues and crazy antics would lose half their charm without Leonard's and Penny's expressions in reaction to them!