The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.24 The Countdown Reflection [Season Finale] (May 10)

How do you rate the episode?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

Just been rewatching the ep recently and I know everyone focuses on Sheldon's hand-holding in terms of what it means regarding his relationship with Amy, and that's been discussed to death and is huge. But to me there's even more to it than that. He is nervous for Howard. The one friend he probably looks down on more than all the others. I think that's some massive evidence that underneath it all he isn't the robotic, indifferent humanoid he pretends to be. He does care about his friends, he just doesn't like to show it.

• Like 3

Just been rewatching the ep recently and I know everyone focuses on Sheldon's hand-holding in terms of what it means regarding his relationship with Amy, and that's been discussed to death and is huge. But to me there's even more to it than that. He is nervous for Howard. The one friend he probably looks down on more than all the others. I think that's some massive evidence that underneath it all he isn't the robotic, indifferent humanoid he pretends to be. He does care about his friends, he just doesn't like to show it.

I remember Prady or Lorre or someone talking about that moment and how it was about how overwhelming it all was and that it was a matter of reaching out to feel grounded by being in contact with another human being.

• Like 1

I remember Prady or Lorre or someone talking about that moment and how it was about how overwhelming it all was and that it was a matter of reaching out to feel grounded by being in contact with another human being.

Lorre's vanity card for this episode was so touching. He talks about how he felt something so innately human about the final scene, the action of holding someone's hand conveying emotions, the need for support, the act of relying on one another. He says he had to stifle tear while writing it.

He then went on to make me cry by ending it with "I hope you've laughed a lot and stifled a little. I hope you're holding someone's hand. See you next season." I love those vanity cards. 

• Like 2

How come their parents didn't badger them, about not having a religious service?

Indeed, how come there wasn't a massive debate, about choosing between a church and synagogue wedding?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

How come their parents didn't badger them, about not having a religious service?

Indeed, how come there wasn't a massive debate, about choosing between a church and synagogue wedding?

Perhaps they were gong to have something that was neither ?  I'm not up to date with these things but I remember there was  a time when neither religion would have allowed them to have a wedding in a place of worship without a conversion. Catholics would, at a pinch, agree to a non-RC bride or groom providing there was a promise to bring the children up RC.  If it still applies, then they were probably going to use some civil venue that was architecturally like a church but wasn't one. I'm just guessing from the dresses they bought, the men's suits they hired and Amy's desire to walk down the aisle to music of her choice.

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

providing there was a promise to bring the children up RC.

And, likewise, the Jewish parents would insist any children be brought up Jewish.