The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.24 The Countdown Reflection [Season Finale] (May 10)

How do you rate the episode?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

Beautiful. Just beautiful. I'm just a little choked up at the end.

Everyone was remarkably in character, the wedding induced warm feelings of many kinds, and the climactic moment where everyone holds hands in mutual support was the perfect way to sign off on a sweet, touching note.

I love how, after the all-round discord they left us with in last season's finale, this one came full circle to show the deep underlying unity and affection between this little group.

Awwwww :at: Pomita I am definately with you here the Old Bear has to give this one "TWO" paws up! I found myself actually applauding and gave a cheer at the end "Well Done".

Every aspect just left you at the edge of your seat,I think the whole pulling together for the wedding is what made it for me.My daughter who is (Kaley's) Penny's age is tying the knot this December so I really related to Bernie's Dad thru this because know matter what She is my "little girl".The whole thing with Raj knowing the satalite position,Penny with the "online" minister idea.Then when they "ALL" participated in the ceremony shows what being "friends" is all about.And yes there were the side notes as for mentioned but hey its what makes these characters who and what they are and gives us the reason to watch!

Absolutely. They all contributed in their own little ways, when Howard and Bernadette were in need of them, and they all made their own characteristic gaffes too, but that's what they're all about. That's what best friends do. :)

I also loved how Bernie's father quietly commented to her 'your mother-in-law is a piece of work', and then later walked off shaking his head and saying, 'as if this guy could catch a football!'

I have to admit that I cried at the end when Sheldon grabbed Amy's hand....It was so beautiful, and I'm so happy that Howard and Bernadette got married...I think Penny might be regretting saying no to Leonard's marriage proposal, too...I also think it was sweet that the whole cast was involved in the officiating of the wedding...Bernadette, Amy and Penny all looked beautiful and all the guys rocked those tuxedos!...Great job, BBT writers!...Can't wait to see what you have in store for all of us in September!

Except you're missing the most important it wasn't a real proposal.

- Penny looked pale and bored pretty much 75% of the episode

-

IIRC, Kaley was sick that week.

Penny saying "Some small part of me thought he was lying" pretty much sums up her relationship with Leonard. I wonder how Leonard reacted/will react to that.

???? Her comment was about Howard and not really believing he was actually going in space! It had nothing to do with Leonard whatsoever.

I think @Disgusted has a point. Consciously her comment was of course about Howard, but there seems to be a hidden subtext there - this is the kind of sentiment where Penny's commitment-phobia comes from. She has strong feelings for Leonard, but she can't completely own her relationship with him yet, because a small part of her is afraid that it's not real, she can't depend on him, whatever. Probably it comes from her many past experiences of bad and failed relationships.

I'm not sure if it was intentional - I suspect it was - but certainly this thought came to my mind once, when I heard her comment.

You're reading too much into things it was everything to do with about Howard and not Leonard or past bfs(who had some point had lied to her).

Looking forward to watching it again today. No one has mentioned this yet, but the scene where they showed them in the justice of peace office and amy was wearing that bridemaid dress with her tiara on, I just LOL like crazy. Poor Amy, she really needs to be the belle of the ball at least once.

well, the season finale has aired! my thoughts:

-this episode would have been better if it wasn't a flashback format. the episode was just OK, simply because it seemed choppy and fast-paced.

-the astronaut scenes were a weird interruption. (the astronauts themselves & their helmets were strange too).

they could have left out all the astronauts interactions, as it didn't contribute anything.

-it was so sweet when Howard gave Bernadette the star necklace. but... she didn't wear it during the wedding!

-I'm not quite sure I understand how they had the wedding. (and one friend should have gotten ordained, not all of them).

-as much as I enjoy Amy, I thought she was obnoxious tonight, with the maid-of-honor shtick. it didn't seem fitting for Amy's character.

-Penny looked pale in this episode. maybe she was sick or it was the make-up, but every scene she looked pale.

-I liked how the show ended with closure, and didn't leave us hanging about any story line.

Agreed. I didn't care the flashback format either.The episode, although very good, seemed to be very rushed. I was seriously hoping for a double episode for this season finale. These were 2 major events all rolled into 21 minutes. The ending was breath taking though.

Looking forward to watching it again today. No one has mentioned this yet, but the scene where they showed them in the justice of peace office and amy was wearing that bridemaid dress with her tiara on, I just LOL like crazy. Poor Amy, she really needs to be the belle of the ball at least once.

Always a "bridesmaide" and never a "bride".....But yes Bazingafan there is a "Santa Clause" and I am brushing up on my klingon for that "wedding" Hint..Hint..Hint.....:icon_cheesygrin:

If Sheldon and Amy ever get married I am sure Sheldon will have her dress as a Klingon for the wedding.

I really liked it and yes Sheldon you're exciting enough for two people.

Boy Amy that was right on for her acting like that as a bridesmaid, I'm glad they got married I was afraid we'd have to wait till season 6 to see if they got married, Raj really needs a gf. Could've done without the dialouge of the fellow astronauts since they didn't contribute to anything.

Could've done with Penny and Leonard acting like that since it wasn't the time nor the place since their friends' are getting married( even though they didn't want to talk about it but Sheldon kept mentioning it and it was probably only a day or two I don't see why anyone thinks she should've said yes, does it look like they should be getting engaged with the way they acted ? Especially since they just got back together As much as I say Raj needs therapy due to his mutism they need to make it a double session with Leonard, you don't moan and make snide comments like that because you didn't get your way, it's like a little kid if he whines enough his mommy will enventually give him the toy, that doesn't work now nor will it work with Penny. I believe Penny cares deeply for Leonard, might even love Leonard, but I don't think she's in love with him(yes there's a difference) but she won't love him like Leonard does(like that would ever happen). Now if Leonard would be a grown up for a minute he would understand where she's coming from, he's the first guy in beer life that hasn't let her down(or if he has not the same magtitude) and that includes her father who for some reason that only a doctor can diagnose thought she was a boy until 14 due to her growing breasts, and the same man who's only dreams for her are that his grandkids don't grow up in a trailer, talk about low standards or expectations for her.

Now onto season 6 and speculate the season 6 premier and what will happen in season 6, i feel it will be a calmer summer, don't expect to be on here much or at all.

I don't understand how anyone can say Kaley looks pale when compared to the rest of the cast the exception Kunal are pale as can be, now this time last year she looked pale especially the last several episodes.

I liked the season but I hope season 6 is better, this season had great episodes but also too many episodes that were just okay.

If Sheldon and Amy ever get married I am sure Sheldon will have her dress as a Klingon for the wedding.

That's probably looking very, very far ahead. :)

I agree that it's going to be a calmer summer this time.. last year's finale left some degree of unpleasantness. This time it's just all-round sweetness and affirmation, and it will be easier to survive 4 empty months with that!

They've ruined a great show. But awwwwwwwwww, wasn't it so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute that everyone is in looooooooooooooooove? I'm sure the show will continue to get great ratings but it's no longer unique. They've sold out. And before the estrogen crowd starts throwing their purses at me, the second the show ended my wife turned to me and said - "They've ruined it."

Sheldon was his typical self in that he took a situation that was about his friends and made it about himself.

Amy has some good stuff as well, like Sheldon she spends a good chunk of the time making this event about her as well.

Leonard made it about himself as well, which seems to be the case nearly any time he seems to make a speech nowadays.

Aside from that, I did enjoy the episode, although I liked last week's episode more. I liked the reference to Sheldon's dilemmas with gift-giving, and his holding Amy's hand at the end. I was really surprised they decided to show that, but it made me feel warm inside haha. I am however disappointed we didn't get to see Bernadette's mom... or Howard's mom.

This isn't a new development with Leonard he's done that throughout the series.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Sheldon was his typical self in that he took a situation that was about his friends and made it about himself.

Amy has some good stuff as well, like Sheldon she spends a good chunk of the time making this event about her as well.

Leonard made it about himself as well, which seems to be the case nearly any time he seems to make a speech nowadays.

Aside from that, I did enjoy the episode, although I liked last week's episode more. I liked the reference to Sheldon's dilemmas with gift-giving, and his holding Amy's hand at the end. I was really surprised they decided to show that, but it made me feel warm inside haha. I am however disappointed we didn't get to see Bernadette's mom... or Howard's mom.

true, he did the same in The Pants Alternative when he started rambling about his mother before introducing Sheldon

Always a "bridesmaide" and never a "bride".....But yes Bazingafan there is a "Santa Clause" and I am brushing up on my klingon for that "wedding" Hint..Hint..Hint.....:icon_cheesygrin:

Except Amy's probably never been a bridesmaid before, which is why she acted like she did.

true, he did the same in The Pants Alternative when he started rambling about his mother before introducing Sheldon

It's due to Leonard's need of approval steaming from his childhood.

They've ruined a great show. But awwwwwwwwww, wasn't it so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute that everyone is in looooooooooooooooove? I'm sure the show will continue to get great ratings but it's no longer unique. They've sold out. And before the estrogen crowd starts throwing their purses at me, the second the show ended my wife turned to me and said - "They've ruined it."

I disagree with you 100%, how is ruined? How have the sold out? Is it because they have relationships, if that's the case the show has been about that throughout the series with a slice of nerd and science sprinkled in, not like the past season but for the most part it has.

I agree and disagree with you here.

I have seen every episode of all 5 seasons and I DO miss the show when it was just the main 5. I know some of my friends who say the same about how the show has changed/got ruined. But here's the thing, it was only natural for these characters to develop or else the show would be boring with the same stuff over and over...just imagine if only Leonard and Howard tried to hit on Penny for 5 seasons ? That is why they introduced 2 new characters(Amy and Bernie) to keep the show moving forward.

And now..Howard is not the disgusting pervert he was, and like Raj would say "He was a lot more fun when he had no hope"(S2E1) :D

I was hoping that their marriage would not happen but oh well, he got married...I don't see Howard ever going back to being his old self when he settles down with Bernadette. Same goes for Sheldon, he has changed a lot.(in appearance - weight, too tight clothes, hair)

My wish for S6 is that they keep the relationship problems on a low and bring back the geekyness of the show.

I'm with ShellyBean on this one .... it was necessary to introduce new characters in order to keep the show going forward.

And i'm pretty sure that if the writers hadn't gone for the change, we now would have people complaining on how boring the show is and how it is repeating itself over and over again.

But i'm also hoping that they kind of introduce more geeky stuff into season 6, this part has been forgotten to often during this season.

But still it wasn't bad, the season offered some episodes that have easily made it into my top 10 episodes of the whole show.

For the finale, i think it was very good. And i'm glad that the writers included some totally crazy twists like they did in the last season finale.

It was quite what everyone expected to happen, but they executed it very nicely.

Especially the whole gift scene with Sheldon handing Howard the difference of 12 $ between his gift and Howard's was great :)

Only one thing that i found not too good, as many others here, they should really have done the finale as 2 episodes. That way everything wouldn't have felt that rushed. But i guess that's also not the decision of the writer, but also of CBS how they wanna broadcast the epsiodes.

they should really have done the finale as 2 episodes. That way everything wouldn't have felt that rushed. But i guess that's also not the decision of the writer, but also of CBS how they wanna broadcast the epsiodes.

It was 2 episodes, last week and this week. You will never see 2 new episodes on the same night.

The reason it felt rushed is because it was rushed, because of the launch schedule. And they can still have a big wedding later when Howard gets back, assuming Raj can keep it in his pants Vis-a-vis Bernadette.

Penny saying "Some small part of me thought he was lying" pretty much sums up her relationship with Leonard. I wonder how Leonard reacted/will react to that.

I think @Disgusted has a point. Consciously her comment was of course about Howard, but there seems to be a hidden subtext there - this is the kind of sentiment where Penny's commitment-phobia comes from. She has strong feelings for Leonard, but she can't completely own her relationship with him yet, because a small part of her is afraid that it's not real, she can't depend on him, whatever. Probably it comes from her many past experiences of bad and failed relationships.

Didn't I say that? :icon_confused: :icon_confused: :icon_confused: :icon_confused:

:icon_cheesygrin:

Very true. For me, this ship sailed a long time ago. I guess if I want to keep watching I will have to spend the summer getting in touch with my sensitive inner Disgustette.

I find this attitude very interesting. You are sitting there with your wife, in the comfort of your home and a committed loving relationship, and jointly wishing on these characters a lifetime of singlehood, frustration and loneliness. I mean, how dare they get married? The horror!

... jointly wishing on these characters a lifetime of singlehood, frustration and loneliness.

There are worse fates. To mangle Shakespeare:

"How sharper than a serpent's tooth, it is to have a thankless wife."

Very true. For me, this ship sailed a long time ago. I guess if I want to keep watching I will have to spend the summer getting in touch with my sensitive inner Disgustette.

I'm sure she is lovely! :icon_cheesygrin:

I'm sure she is lovely! :icon_cheesygrin:

Yup! :p

post-2564-134808097685_thumb.jpg

- Penny looked pale and bored pretty much 75% of the episode

I said the same thing. she was either sick in real life, or it was the make-up? I guess Bernadette is the girl who shined in this ep :icon_cheesygrin:

I find this attitude very interesting. You are sitting there with your wife, in the comfort of your home and a committed loving relationship, and jointly wishing on these characters a lifetime of singlehood, frustration and loneliness. I mean, how dare they get married? The horror!

Lol. That's funny that a married person is complaining about a character getting married, normally the person is single with no love life doing that.

Disgusted no last week's episode was last weeks episode not the finale. CBS has the two broke girls and how I met your mother as a hour finale, Also there was two new episodes back to back to start the season off.

Here is the hand holding scene.

I have to say, the expression from amy when sheldon takes her hand is the best part of it.

Hi, I'm new to this forum! I looooooved the finale episode, I teared up throughout the entire ceremony :'-) And not to mention, the final part, specially when Sheldon held Amy's hand. AW!!! Can't wait 'til September. Though, I gotta say I feel kind of unconfortable with the place Penny and Leonard's relationship is. I mean, either they are, or they're not together. I don't like very much this alpha, beta, or omega test thing. But anyway, I can live with it. And right now, I'm sooooooooooo loving the SHAMYNESS!!!

Agreed! With the last person here!!! I do want to watch more geeky stuff next season, but the show is so not ruined for me. I still love it, and I bet if the guys were still in the same place as in seasons 1 and 2, a lot of people would be complaining about it as well. Can't please evryone! So just let's enjoy the show and love the characters. I know I do.