The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.24 The Countdown Reflection [Season Finale] (May 10)

How do you rate the episode?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

They didn't have a photographer and it would be on Google Earth for a couple of years. They could take a screenshot and have it.

I personally thought it was awesome. If I was getting married and my friends were marrying me I'd be ecstatic to have that on Google Earth. It's unique and they are geeky like that. Of course they'd like it.

I don't know much about Google Earth, which is why I'm asking why they got married that way.

so a picture was taken of them on the roof getting married, and put on the internet. that's it?

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't know much about Google Earth, which is why I'm asking why they got married that way.

so a picture was taken of them on the roof getting married, and put on the internet. that's it?

is not "it" it's Google Earth!!!! :D

Anyone else here think it bothered sheldon that penny turned down leonard's proposal?

"Are you wearing aloe vera? Because you just got burned." Loved that line!

I was trying to figure out why he kept commenting on it, since when is he their biggest supporter, he even commented on how they'll break up again when they first started the beta test.

@Rouge849 the reasoning for the beta test is Penny wanted to take it slow especially after last time and to work out their issues(that might be out the window now).

Anyone else here think it bothered sheldon that penny turned down leonard's proposal?

I was trying to figure out why he kept commenting on it, since when is he their biggest supporter, he even commented on how they'll break up again when they first started the beta test.

If we go back to the episodes where sheldon gets upset when they are fighting, etc., I think it's safe to assume sheldon would like them to be together, or at the very least, he wants leonard happy. It reminds me a little of when sheldon stood up to leonard's bully.

They didn't have a photographer and it would be on Google Earth for a couple of years. They could take a screenshot and have it.

I personally thought it was awesome. If I was getting married and my friends were marrying me I'd be ecstatic to have that on Google Earth. It's unique and they are geeky like that. Of course they'd like it.

Agreed. It is something nerds would love.

@Rouge849 the reasoning for the beta test is Penny wanted to take it slow especially after last time and to work out their issues(that might be out the window now).

He is friends with Leonard before everything. i do feel that he feels be should be in Team Leonard on this one, since Leonard confided him about his feelings on the matter. "Male comrades before women who trade money for sexual favors" you know LOL

the Beta Test was actually Leonard's idea.

There are "just sitcoms" and there are great shows. This is a great show.

Touche.

Well, it's starting to sink in that the season is over. It will be a long summer, and time to put this obsession on hold for a while. Not too happy about it, but c'est la vie.

Sigh.. yes. :( It feels like a long parting from a very close friend.

They've ruined a great show. But awwwwwwwwww, wasn't it so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute that everyone is in looooooooooooooooove? I'm sure the show will continue to get great ratings but it's no longer unique. They've sold out. And before the estrogen crowd starts throwing their purses at me, the second the show ended my wife turned to me and said - "They've ruined it."

I find this attitude very interesting. You are sitting there with your wife, in the comfort of your home and a committed loving relationship, and jointly wishing on these characters a lifetime of singlehood, frustration and loneliness. I mean, how dare they get married? The horror!

Lol. That's funny that a married person is complaining about a character getting married, normally the person is single with no love life doing that.

Disgusted no last week's episode was last weeks episode not the finale. CBS has the two broke girls and how I met your mother as a hour finale, Also there was two new episodes back to back to start the season off.

Two Broke Girls is worthy of nothing, hope it gets canned this summer.

They've ruined a great show. But awwwwwwwwww, wasn't it so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute that everyone is in looooooooooooooooove? I'm sure the show will continue to get great ratings but it's no longer unique. They've sold out. And before the estrogen crowd starts throwing their purses at me, the second the show ended my wife turned to me and said - "They've ruined it."

I find this attitude very interesting. You are sitting there with your wife, in the comfort of your home and a committed loving relationship, and jointly wishing on these characters a lifetime of singlehood, frustration and loneliness. I mean, how dare they get married? The horror!

Psst - THEY'RE NOT REAL! They're characters in a TV show whose sole purpose is to be funny. There have been thousands of romantic relationship shows. Why did they have to turn a unique comedy series into just another dime-a-dozen Ross/Rachel chickfest?

Lol. That's funny that a married person is complaining about a character getting married, normally the person is single with no love life doing that.

Disgusted no last week's episode was last weeks episode not the finale. CBS has the two broke girls and how I met your mother as a hour finale, Also there was two new episodes back to back to start the season off.

I'm not complaining about Howard getting married. He's a supporting character. It's the Sheldon/Amy relationship that threatens the core of the show.

Really? Friends was pretty damn popular last I checked.

You're all missing my point. It's not about ratings. I'm sure the show will stay popular for years by appealing to those who want to get teary-eyed and absorbed in the romantic relationships. I'm sure you'll all be absolutely giddy and the ratings will soar when Sheldon and Amy finally realize their true love for each other and hop into bed. But that's not what the show was about for the first 4 seasons. Sheldon was a totally unique character and in the quest to milk the ratings they've put him on the path of being just another goofy, lovesick guy who already existed on countless sitcoms in the past. TBBT was a rare intelligent sitcom that has decided to sell out it's premise for ratings. It could have been a contender for best sitcom ever, not it's just a rehash of "Friends" with Leonard/Penny and Sheldon/Amy in the Ross/Rachel roles. The shark has officially jumped.

I understand your point. But I think if the writers really try to keep sheldon true to character, they can also work in a relationship and keep the show good. They haven't done this well in every episode this season, but I am hopeful they will do better in season 6. I feel the last two episodes brought us back to the old sheldon.

Bazingafan I can see him not wanting them to fight, but he's be against them getting together from the start.

Supersonica, it's not like Sheldon isn't both their friends, yes Leonard decided to call it that, but it's not like Penny didn't want to go slow.

But that's not what the show was about for the first 4 seasons. Sheldon was a totally unique character and in the quest to milk the ratings they've put him on the path of being just another goofy, lovesick guy who already existed on countless sitcoms in the past. TBBT was a rare intelligent sitcom that has decided to sell out it's premise for ratings. It could have been a contender for best sitcom ever, not it's just a rehash of "Friends" with Leonard/Penny and Sheldon/Amy in the Ross/Rachel roles. The shark has officially jumped.

This makes the assumption that now that Sheldon is (sort of) in a relationship, he's going to normalize and everything will henceforth go on the same old beaten path of romance for him and Amy. The way they have handled the relationship till now makes me trust that this will not be the case; that Sheldon will retain his oddity and uniqueness even in a relationship, and we will consequently get to see things happen between them which are bizarre, funny, touching and highly off-the-wall - certainly unprecedented by other on-screen relationships.

Like the proposal and the relationship agreement, or the hug negotiation, or the gossip experiment, or Sheldon vacationing in her lab - they certainly don't follow the course of things that happen in normal relationships. This is romance in their own trademark style. So it's not like Sheldon's turning into Mr. Loverboy - it's just another experience that reflects one more interesting facet of his personality.

Bazingafan I can see him not wanting them to fight, but he's be against them getting together from the start.

Supersonica, it's not like Sheldon isn't both their friends, yes Leonard decided to call it that, but it's not like Penny didn't want to go slow.

I didn't say that Penny is not her friend. I said, as Sheldon has said before, that men comrades should come before women who exchange sexual favors for monetary benefit (Bro's before Hoe's). It did feel to me as if he took Leonard's side, not because Penny is not her friend, but because Leonard is his "male comrade".. also, the previous episode they "tummy ached about their old ladies" together. Is social convention for Sheldon to take Leonard's side on this. At least that's what I can think of it.

And the issue Sheldon has with the Leonard/Penny relationship is having Penny all the time in their apartment because of her country singing, her rubbing a pomez stone against her callous feet, her watching Jersey Shore, screaming during sex, etc....he has said so himself (The Zazzy Substution) we know that for Sheldon everything is about him, and he doesn't like that aspect of Leonard & Penny together.

Looking forward to watching it again today. No one has mentioned this yet, but the scene where they showed them in the justice of peace office and amy was wearing that bridemaid dress with her tiara on, I just LOL like crazy. Poor Amy, she really needs to be the belle of the ball at least once.

Always a "bridesmaide" and never a "bride".....But yes Bazingafan there is a "Santa Clause" and I am brushing up on my klingon for that "wedding" Hint..Hint..Hint.....:icon_cheesygrin:

Except Amy's probably never been a bridesmaid before, which is why she acted like she did.

Leonard made it about himself as well, which seems to be the case nearly any time he seems to make a speech nowadays.

Aside from that, I did enjoy the episode, although I liked last week's episode more. I liked the reference to Sheldon's dilemmas with gift-giving, and his holding Amy's hand at the end. I was really surprised they decided to show that, but it made me feel warm inside haha. I am however disappointed we didn't get to see Bernadette's mom... or Howard's mom.

This isn't a new development with Leonard he's done that throughout the series.

true, he did the same in The Pants Alternative when he started rambling about his mother before introducing Sheldon

It's due to Leonard's need of approval steaming from his childhood.

I disagree with you 100%, how is ruined? How have the sold out? Is it because they have relationships, if that's the case the show has been about that throughout the series with a slice of nerd and science sprinkled in, not like the past season but for the most part it has.

Agreed. Hasnt leonard for example been in love with Penny basically since the first episode? I don't see the difference other then there are ACTUAL GIRLS. I do think they have ruined Howard though.

You're right Leonard has been "in love"(even though I don't think it was at the time) from the beginning.

I didn't say that Penny is not her friend. I said, as Sheldon has said before, that men comrades should come before women who exchange sexual favors for monetary benefit (Bro's before Hoe's). It did feel to me as if he took Leonard's side, not because Penny is not her friend, but because Leonard is his "male comrade".. also, the previous episode they "tummy ached about their old ladies" together. Is social convention for Sheldon to take Leonard's side on this. At least that's what I can think of it.

And the issue Sheldon has with the Leonard/Penny relationship is having Penny all the time in their apartment because of her country singing, her rubbing a pomez stone against her callous feet, her watching Jersey Shore, screaming during sex, etc....he has said so himself (The Zazzy Substution) we know that for Sheldon everything is about him, and he doesn't like that aspect of Leonard & Penny together.

There's a problem with this is when they broke up he didn't take sides he stuck out to Hang out with Penny, it's not like if Leonard was still dating priya and automatically he would've chosen leonard's side or if Leonard is dating a new woman and Sheldon felt like he had to choose Leonard's side.

Sheldon was against them being together before Penny started hanging out at the apartment all the time and doing these things, he even made a comment about them breaking up was predictable, so I don't know the reasoning he kept mentioning it but I don't think it's very believeable that he's there biggest fan(which I don't think this is it) now if that's the case then what changed?

Yeah, the fact that the Leonard-Penny incident resurfaced from last ep. had me thinking.

My gut feeling... that the continuation across episodes has weight. Incidents introduced in an episode tend to be neatly wrapped up by the end of it: it makes it 'digestible', with episodes easy to watch respectively. When theme quite explicitly carries on? It's less of a 'surface' plot to bring out characters than something that'll influence character development as the show progresses.

Still, I think with the wide audience BBT receives, and also for repetition sakes, another wedding theme -- which would naturally be another finale -- is unlikely. And with a biiiiig blank summer to fill, it'd be disjointed to pick up the proposal as a pivotal event.

I still feel the accumulation of romantic tensions between Leonard and Penny up to this point need resolving. Season 6 seems the natural climax. I think Penny needs to be in 'full bloom' as a character -- receive a real positive influence (mmm toying with the career idea) -- to become decisive and 'fulfilled'? enough for a steady relationship. Even if it offers a contrast to the grounded Howard-Bernadette, the inconsistent 'picking' at them as a couple is tedious. Cover some ground people!

I am a bit tired of the way they have chosen to do Leonard/Penny's relationship. For some reason Leonard has managed to have a stable and fairly normal relationship with a number of women, but they write him as an idiot with Penny. He consistently does the wrong thing and pisses her off. Penny spent the entire fourth season mooning over Leonard, confessed that she should never have broken up with him, then as soon as they get back together, she starts right away trying to keep her distance. So far this has been the way they are writing the, "new," relationship. What was all that mooning over him and being jealous of Priya? So, in a moment of passion, he asked her to marry him. What is that a crime? I thought she had decided she wanted to be with Leonard? Maybe she could have handled it better? Maybe she could have taken it serious and said she would think about it. No, the writers have her freak out. Stupid.

I am a bit tired of the way they have chosen to do Leonard/Penny's relationship. For some reason Leonard has managed to have a stable and fairly normal relationship with a number of women, but they write him as an idiot with Penny. He consistently does the wrong thing and pisses her off. Penny spent the entire fourth season mooning over Leonard, confessed that she should never have broken up with him, then as soon as they get back together, she starts right away trying to keep her distance. So far this has been the way they are writing the, "new," relationship. What was all that mooning over him and being jealous of Priya? So, in a moment of passion, he asked her to marry him. What is that a crime? I thought she had decided she wanted to be with Leonard? Maybe she could have handled it better? Maybe she could have taken it serious and said she would think about it. No, the writers have her freak out. Stupid.

Well she broke up with him because he got to serious and what's the first thing he does after they move past the beta test he asks her to marry him during sex(who says that), she had a right to be upset maybe not to the degree, she probably thought it would be different this time or he would be, what woman wants a guy planning her future? Now we have to wonder what was the point of Penny in season 4 was it because he was a nice guy and shouldn't let him go or was it what we were lead to believe that she cares deeply for Leonard and feels something. Not sure why she would say she would think about it when Leonard said it slipped out and joked about how we'll laugh about this in the future(doesn't sound like a real one to me). They either both of them overcame whatever is holding them back or break up and stay broken up and just be friends, because this is right before she broke up with him the first time.

Awwwww...this was such a nice episode!....The way they held hands at the end..especially Sheldon and Amy :icon_cheesygrin:...lovely. And that wedding dress was gorgeous :icon_eek: And the guys looked really sharp in those tuxes. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Two Broke Girls is worthy of nothing, hope it gets canned this summer.

Psst - THEY'RE NOT REAL! They're characters in a TV show whose sole purpose is to be funny. There have been thousands of romantic relationship shows. Why did they have to turn a unique comedy series into just another dime-a-dozen Ross/Rachel chickfest?

I'm not complaining about Howard getting married. He's a supporting character. It's the Sheldon/Amy relationship that threatens the core of the show.

Really? Friends was pretty damn popular last I checked.

Not sure what two broke girls ratings are but they were nominated( can't remember if they won) for best new comedy, two and a half men is what needs to go away.

About The Friends reference in was responding to the previous post about it.

Really enjoyed this episode, more than I expected to. Especially liked all Sheldon's references to Leonard's proposal, Amy in the maid of honour dress, more Raj and them all holding hands at the end :D

Au contraire. In my experience, the people most passionately invested in fictional relationships are typically single, or their relationships are lacking. That's why they're living vicariously through their favorite characters. Those of us in meaningful relationships or happy being single don't need sitcoms to fill the gaps in our lives. We just want to laugh.

Not sure what the Au contraire when your post is basically my original post said, also it kind of sad if a person has to live their lives through a fictional person.

Is it true that just anyone can go on the Internet can be ordained to perform a wedding??

Why did the gang think it was a cool idea to have the wedding so that it would be photographed by Google Earth? It would be so small you could never see it.

My brother in law did.

Not if you zoom in.

Djvang if the show to you only has jumped the shark then why do you still watch you obvisouly continue to watch for a reason.

Those are some good points you brought up. I think that one of the main issues with Penny being jealous of Leonard and Pria is the fact that they both got along better more on an intellectual level. Penny has even admitted that she feels insecure of this, especially in the episode that she admitted lying about herself by saying that she had a community college degree. I believe she still has the fear that Leonard may lose interest in their relationship after a while over this fact. On the other hand Leonard does need to work out some issues on his timing.

Oh geez! Listen to myself here. I came to watch this show for its nerdy and scientific content, now I'm engaging in the romantic aspects of the show. I have infested myself into the typical sitcom social drama.

I'm afraid I have to agree with some people who also feel the show has 'jumped the shark'.

Somewhere between season 4 and season 5. Pretty much as soon as everyone and their dog got a relationship. Sorry, but that's basically when it happened. Why? Because it started to become just like every other sitcom.

It's like the ran out of nerdy things the guys could all do somewhere between S4 and S6 and they just said "oh, guess we have to get them relationships because that is easy fodder for making jokes". But in the process the screwed up a lot of continuity and a lot of characters' typical behaviors.

I'm not saying they haven't had some great scenes since then but IMO it has been watered down with a lot of lowest common denominator comedy.

I'll still watch for next season but if Sheldon end up looking stupid like he has many times in Season 5 and Raj gets a FULL TIME girlfriend and all of the other main characters keep their relationships I'm going to seriously consider movin' on.

I don't think the show has jumped ship.

I think seasons 6 and 7 will be great and that season 5 was the "awkward stage" of the show.

It needed change, and now that the show has gone through its awkward stage, it'll start to look up. I am optimistic after what we saw with the last two episodes. Chuck has until August to really start dishing out material and has all this time in between. I think it'll be okay.

The show is nearly perfect. Leonard and Penny are destiny. They are End Game regardless of what C-bolt says, who is a L/P hater and a Leonard hater. He is a Sheldon-apologist and zealot S/P shipper. So he is going to think of delusions.

The show is not nearly perfect someone is going to find something wrong with. I'm sure numerous couple have been a destiny and then at the end weren't. The End Game ? Who talks like that and better yet why? I'm not a l/p hater the writing for them sucks if you're weren't so blind you'd see it, I'm not the only one that has commented on them from the finale and how they acted and were it's going. This episode was a reminder of them right before they broke up in season 3. Maybe if Leonard would grow up and stop acting like he does and let go of his issues he'd be a little more likeable. You're right I'm a Sheldon apologist for one reason he's not like the rest of the characters and can't treat him the same as the rest.

Speaking of Leonard and Penny (because I really like the L/P relationship and think they belong together)....did anyone else notice that when Sheldon started the ribbing about the Leonard marraige proposal as they waited outside the courtroom, Penny first responded with "It wasn't a real proposal" as if maybe she was upset with how it was done, not "that" it was done. Maybe some of her reaction is disappointment.

Just an idea...

This was a weak season with a weak ending imo.

I liked Howard's little scenes in the space capsule but the wedding scenes were starting to bore me after a while. The bickering between Leonard & Penny and Amy's constant whining about being a bridesmaid got on my nerves at some point. And I thought that last scene with the hand-holding was just plain cheesy, ugh.