5.24 The Countdown Reflection [Season Finale] (May 10)

How do you rate the episode?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

This might be the first time since Amy became a part of the "gang" that she hasn't made a single comment about wanting Penny?

The show really went downhill for me sometime in Season 4 and lasted right through most of Season 5. The last few have been getting better.

HOWEVER when I (and many others) said they missed the way the characters were in S1-S3, at least I did not mean the way Leonard is stupid with Penny. I mean, seriously, he's been in quite a few serious relationships now, it was even part of his character development that he'd become "good boyfriend material" but once he's back with Penny... stupid. Worst part was she didn't even seem to care much up until the sex proposal.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been rewatching the ep recently and I know everyone focuses on Sheldon's hand-holding in terms of what it means regarding his relationship with Amy, and that's been discussed to death and is huge

Wheeeee! The finale is here! (Almost... ) I just can't wait. I'm so glad it looks like Howie is after all going into space. That will be super cool!

Lorre's vanity card for this episode was so touching. He talks about how he felt something so innately human about the final scene, the action of holding someone's hand conveying emotions, the need fo

Posted Images

Speaking of Leonard and Penny (because I really like the L/P relationship and think they belong together)....did anyone else notice that when Sheldon started the ribbing about the Leonard marraige proposal as they waited outside the courtroom, Penny first responded with "It wasn't a real proposal" as if maybe she was upset with how it was done, not "that" it was done. Maybe some of her reaction is disappointment.

Just an idea...

Well for starters Sheldon mentions it in front of everyone so she basically is saying it didn't mean anything and as upset as she was I don't think that was the reason.

This might be the first time since Amy became a part of the "gang" that she hasn't made a single comment about wanting Penny?

The show really went downhill for me sometime in Season 4 and lasted right through most of Season 5. The last few have been getting better.

HOWEVER when I (and many others) said they missed the way the characters were in S1-S3, at least I did not mean the way Leonard is stupid with Penny. I mean, seriously, he's been in quite a few serious relationships now, it was even part of his character development that he'd become "good boyfriend material" but once he's back with Penny... stupid. Worst part was she didn't even seem to care much up until the sex proposal.

Well Amy hasn't made a comment in a while especially since she was absent for two epsides(Nimoy and Hawkings).

What do you mean she didn't care up until the sex proposal? Do you mean she didn't care where the relationship was going? She was the one that suggest them moving past the beta test?

I am a bit tired of the way they have chosen to do Leonard/Penny's relationship. For some reason Leonard has managed to have a stable and fairly normal relationship with a number of women, but they write him as an idiot with Penny. He consistently does the wrong thing and pisses her off. Penny spent the entire fourth season mooning over Leonard, confessed that she should never have broken up with him, then as soon as they get back together, she starts right away trying to keep her distance. So far this has been the way they are writing the, "new," relationship. What was all that mooning over him and being jealous of Priya? So, in a moment of passion, he asked her to marry him. What is that a crime? I thought she had decided she wanted to be with Leonard? Maybe she could have handled it better? Maybe she could have taken it serious and said she would think about it. No, the writers have her freak out. Stupid.

Those are some good points you brought up. I think that one of the main issues with Penny being jealous of Leonard and Pria is the fact that they both got along better more on an intellectual level. Penny has even admitted that she feels insecure of this, especially in the episode that she admitted lying about herself by saying that she had a community college degree. I believe she still has the fear that Leonard may lose interest in their relationship after a while over this fact. On the other hand Leonard does need to work out some issues on his timing.

Oh geez! Listen to myself here. I came to watch this show for its nerdy and scientific content, now I'm engaging in the romantic aspects of the show. I have infested myself into the typical sitcom social drama.

Man, are you dead on!

The TBBT producers gave the key to Penny's reluctance to have a serious relationship with Leonard at the beginning of the second season. To quote her (and Sheldon) she feels like a "Stupid Loser" compared to Leonard. Looking at her background and Leonard's, she is certain that she would eventually be discarded for a "higher class" woman.

Given her terrible track record with men she has gone after; the four year relationship with Kurt who took her TV then borrowed her rent money to get bailed out of jail, the motorcycle riding physicist who took nude picture of her then forgot to erase the picture of his wife, the jerk boyfriend who posted nude picture of her on the internet, Penny must love the fact that there is one constant man who comes to her rescue every time.

But when Leonard tries to get too close, she runs away. Yet, the writers showed us in season four she is a morose, drunken, insecure mess when Leonard is not there and had to go through the verification when watching him with Priya that she really could not compete with the kind of educated successful woman she won't become. Her father begged Leonard to not give up on her because he is sure she will not end up in a happy way with out him.

Her ace in the hole is her overpowering sexiness that seems to crumble Leonard's mighty mind. When Leonard finally came back to her this season in "The Beta Test Initiation", she asked him a question that Leonard answered incorrectly: "You see me all the time. You sure you just don’t miss the sex?" To which Leonard replied: Well, yeah, sex with you is pretty great." Those began her "Beta Test" from hell. Leonard could touch her, kiss her, and make out but no sex with her or any body else as was implied. And this lasted for four months! Penny is now certain that her hold on Leonard is absolute and she gloats about it assuring even him that she knows he would never leave or hurt her in anyway. But her new found ultimate power is there only as long as Leonard has to keep striving for his goal, to marry Penny. Something he has wanted since the very first show ("Our children will be smart and beautiful")

But the writers have backed themselves in a corner. Bill Prady has stated that season six of L/P will have to be about them going forward in someway. It will be interesting as to how they do that with such an imbalance in their relationship. Leonard has created "Queen Penelope I" who has him trembling with a simple glance of displeasure. She has the whip hand as long as she is NOT married and also does not risk Leonard hurting her. She also has hinted several times that she wants him to be more forceful in their relationship but how does he do that?

we'll see come September

What do you mean she didn't care up until the sex proposal? Do you mean she didn't care where the relationship was going? She was the one that suggest them moving past the beta test?

Sorry, vague wording there. I meant that Penny didn't seem to care much that Leonard was acting stupid around her.

Sorry, vague wording there. I meant that Penny didn't seem to care much that Leonard was acting stupid around her.

How was he being stupid, because around her I can't tell if he's more than normal?

How was he being stupid, because around her I can't tell if he's more than normal?

I'm not sure if it's what they meant by "stupid," but I think about how Leonard lashes out and likes to instigate arguments at inappropriate times. He's done that with no one other than Penny. He acts very mature in his other relationships as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure if it's what they meant by "stupid," but I think about how Leonard lashes out and likes to instigate arguments at inappropriate times. He's done that with no one other than Penny. He acts very mature in his other relationships as far as I can tell.

Well he does act very mature with his other female relationships, and I don't remember him lashing out with the guys much recently, I would think he would act the opposite towards Penny gets the dream girl, and wants everything to go smoothly unless their current personalities are toxic together.

Speaking of Leonard and Penny (because I really like the L/P relationship and think they belong together)....did anyone else notice that when Sheldon started the ribbing about the Leonard marraige proposal as they waited outside the courtroom, Penny first responded with "It wasn't a real proposal" as if maybe she was upset with how it was done, not "that" it was done. Maybe some of her reaction is disappointment.

Just an idea...

I think you may have a point here. Girls dream of being proposed to, and how it's going to happen, and part of it could be the way it happened (when it happened) and then, afterwards, that he said he just did it because of all the wedding stuff going on.

Just an idea...

I think you may have a point here. Girls dream of being proposed to, and how it's going to happen, and part of it could be the way it happened (when it happened) and then, afterwards, that he said he just did it because of all the wedding stuff going on.

Well he might have said that due to her reaction, his explanation might had been different if hers was as well, and even though he said it slipped out he might had been somewhat serious, he's been fantasizing about proposing since he met her.

Just an idea...

Well he might have said that due to her reaction, his explanation might had been different if hers was as well, and even though he said it slipped out he might had been somewhat serious, he's been fantasizing about proposing since he met her.

The fact that he said, you never answered me? to her later on is a clear sign that he may have been serious.

Just an idea...

The fact that he said, you never answered me? to her later on is a clear sign that he may have been serious.

Wouldn't her reaction been the answer, but with Leonard he needs to hear it as well.

I think with Howard and Bernadette planning their wedding Leonard probably thought what it would be like if it was him and Penny instead, I feel he was going to keep that to himself until Penny said lets move things faster, obiviously he wasn't going to propose like that(or I hope not) until maybe later(I don't believe that he just got caught u in the moment), but it had been so long apart that he got caught up with the emotions of being with her that it came out like that, I just feel before he starts thinking these things that she admits how she feels towards him, not sure if has to be I love you but admit how he makes her feel and what he means to her.

How come the last few episodes don't have pictures for them?

This one was quite good, there weren't as many laughs as the last episode though. But I'm glad the wedding is out of the way and I liked the google earth idea and the overhead heart shot. Amy had a few good moments, her yelling 'no, no, no' when Bernadette told them they weren't having the big wedding was one. Sheldon was mostly used to add conflict to Leonard and Penny, but that argument wasn't laugh out loud funny either. Again, Amy telling them off was more amusing.

The most touching moment for me, was when Bernadette took Raj's hand. She was so afraid for Howard. Penny and Leonard's hand holding was nice but Sheldon! After he made his little speech about being alone he breaks the relationship agreement on hand holding. He's always been full of contradictions (and denial) but this surprised me.

Bernie is now "Mrs Loops" :icon_cheesygrin:

I've only just managed to see this episode on line and I thought it was really great. I loved Sheldon trying to get away with speaking his part of the service in Klingon, so funny!

This was a weak season with a weak ending imo.

I liked Howard's little scenes in the space capsule but the wedding scenes were starting to bore me after a while. The bickering between Leonard & Penny and Amy's constant whining about being a bridesmaid got on my nerves at some point. And I thought that last scene with the hand-holding was just plain cheesy, ugh.

Howard is the only consistently funny character on the show. Amy bores the hell out of me. For that matter, so does Sheldon most of the time. The writers only seem to be able to write L/P one way and that sucks. What I really miss is the season 1-3 geek stuff. That was funny.

When Howard went over to talk to the lady that works at city hall, did you guys notice while he was talking to her, it reminded me of the way he used to try to pick up women. It was funny -- it is his way of trying to be persuasive.

I agree that Amy's maid of honour obsession was annoying, but then I don't really get it.

When Howard comes back from space, I'd like to see him idolised for a while. He could even have some space groupies, like when Sheldon had those students idolising him. Either way, I hope they don't just drop the space theme and concentrate on his married life. Seen it all before.

Of course Sheldon taking hold of Amy's hand is of course "big news", but the reason he did it should also be important, he did it because of the emotion he is feeling for his friend Howard, which is also "big" news.

I agree that Amy's maid of honour obsession was annoying, but then I don't really get it.

When Howard comes back from space, I'd like to see him idolised for a while. He could even have some space groupies, like when Sheldon had those students idolising him. Either way, I hope they don't just drop the space theme and concentrate on his married life. Seen it all before.

You'd have to be a female to understand it, the same reason guys don't understand why women fantasize about their wedding from the time they're little girls.

You'd have to be a female to understand it, the same reason guys don't understand why women fantasize about their wedding from the time they're little girls.

Amy was a little tiresome with her attitude, but it was to be expected, and not all women want to get married, I certainly don't fantasize about getting married, and when I was Maid of Honour at my friends wedding I certainly didn't go all "Amy" over it. I think it is just Amy, another way for the writer's to remind us that she missed out on all of this "girly" stuff growing up, so she relishes any chance to do so now.

I think the next logical step for Raj would be going to a therapist. I mean, I see it as the best thing he could do to get over his fear of talking to girls. I'd like to see him taking baby steps in that matter, you know? And yes, I would like to see more geeky stuff as well. I kind of think that the weirdness of the show was from episodes 15 to 20 of this season, or something like that. I really liked the last two and as someone else said, they brought back the whole uniqueness of the show. Is it weird for me to say that this weirdness in the episodes, came along with Sheldon gaining some weight? And his hair looked different too, that was driving me crazy. I know it's just looks, but I want my Sheldon skinny! Anyway, anything that's good and healthy for him is fine, it's not like he's overweighted or anything.

Amy was a little tiresome with her attitude, but it was to be expected, and not all women want to get married, I certainly don't fantasize about getting married, and when I was Maid of Honour at my friends wedding I certainly didn't go all "Amy" over it. I think it is just Amy, another way for the writer's to remind us that she missed out on all of this "girly" stuff growing up, so she relishes any chance to do so now.

Maybe, that's why I found it a tad annoying. It's not as believable as the writers seemed to think. Sometimes, I think they took a wrong turn with the characterisation of Amy. She might have been better off not being obsessed with girlyness at all. She could have been the opposite and had her own smart little nerdy friend.