What happened to Halo night? Paintball ? Chinese restaurant?

ShellyBean

I can't remember the last time the gang had a Halo night or went to paintball (season premier episode was the only time they went to PB this season)

Also, how come they don't go out to that Chinese restaurant ?

The show has changed so much and I don't like it. "Change is never fine! They say it is, but it's not" - Sheldon

They are not even the 4 socially awkward geeks who loved video games, science, robots and comic books anymore, its just 4 guys and 3 chicks who got relationship problems.

What do you guys think ? I hope things go back to the way they were after Howard and Bernadette gets married.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you. There have been many threads here about this topic over the past year. The show has changed, some would say for the worse. I think that it is self evident.

There is a group of people who don't, or won't, see that.

its just 4 guys and 3 chicks who got relationship problems.

I predict there will be a storm of posts telling you that you are wrong, that the show is better and more geeky than ever, that you are a troll for even bringing it up, that if you don't like the show why are you even posting here, etc., etc, etc.

Once they feel you have been sufficiently shouted down, they will return to making 20+ pages of off-topic gossip about penny/leonard, penny/sheldon, sheldon/amy, and what drama might ensue from the aforementioned parings.

The idea that by their actions they are helping to prove your point will never occur to them.

It's like talking to my dog. He's a good boy, and I am pretty sure he understands most of what I'm saying, but he's never going to "get" irony.

• Like 3

Yup, this subject has been discussed many times.

Some fans hate the changes. Others believe every show must evolve or die. It can get very heated. There are plenty of opinions for you to read here. Good luck.

http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/thread-2364.html

http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/thread-2451.html

http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/thread-2494.html

@Disgusted

Are you saying we're dogs? :icon_lol::icon_lol:

I can't remember the last time the gang had a Halo night or went to paintball

Paintball may have ended because of the Sheldon-Penny battle they were having - they shot each other, Leonard shot Sheldon, and the rest gave up. Halo - possibly - because Penny's good at it and blew up Sheldon he many not want to risk her becoming a regular addition to Halo night... (man, that is really reading into things though)

Not sure, but Sheldon may have gotten kicked out because of the tangerine chicken thing.

What do you guys think ? I hope things go back to the way they were after Howard and Bernadette gets married.

I have to admit, Bernadette does seem to be a line-crosser in the series once she and Howard become committed. Of the episodes that genuinley involve negative interactions among the characters Bernadette is involved in the majority. She really is (in my opinion) in danger of becoming BBT's Yoko Ono.

I apologize if that sounds harsh, it really is more speculation than accusation.

@Disgusted

I'm not a troll :) I have seen every episode of all 5 seasons, One of the main reasons my friends love this show is because of Sheldon, and I think Sheldon's character has changed TOO much. We all know what's coming in season 6..can you guys even imagine Sheldon in a sexual relationship with Amy? Errk :/

Also, its about time Raj gets a girlfriend. He is the only one who has not had a gf for more than one episode.

Oh and yes, I am tired of this Leonard and Penny crap, they break up, get back together, break up again..and it looks like they are going to break up again. Out of the 4 guys, Leonard is the only has Penny has been interested in, true, but they got nothing in common. Feel free to disagree. Look at Bernadette and Howard? Both of them truely love each other.

Now look at Penny and Leonard - Penny is a community college dropout who dates guys like Zack and Kurt, Leonard is a physicist with a 173 IQ who will have sex with any woman who he finds hot.

Ok, enough about relationships.

Halo - @Cofeecup - Yes, Penny was good at it but remember Sheldon asking Penny to join their Halo team ?

I don't care if they don't have Halo night anymore, at least show some other games :) Maybe World of Warcraft ? Sheldon said he played 3000 hours of WaW when his account got hacked? We only saw the gang playing WaW in season 1 - 3rd episode.

I loved the last episode btw, hope the season finale is just as good or better :D

And in The Trinket Maneuver, Sheldon was playing Red Dead Redemption, with Leonard mentioning Grand Theft Auto. There was another episode where the guys were also playing Donkey Kong Jenga but I can't remember the episode that was in... the one where Bernadette hates children.

Also, there was a whole episode essentially dedicated to Star Trek with Leonard Nimoy's cameo. In the 100th episode, Sheldon also ordered a cardboard cut-out of Spock, and then lamented it was Zachary Quinto (loved his "live long and suck it" line).

And just in the last episode, Amy played Mario music. These are just some examples at the top of my head, I know there are more. They are still doing geeky stuff, it just feels different because there are more characters to delegate screen time to.

I can't remember the last time the gang had a Halo night or went to paintball (season premier episode was the only time they went to PB this season)

The show has changed so much and I don't like it. "Change is never fine! They say it is, but it's not" - Sheldon

They are not even the 4 socially awkward geeks who loved video games, science, robots and comic books anymore, its just 4 guys and 3 chicks who got relationship problems.

I pretty much agree too. My family and I were just talking about this Thursday night after the show went off. It seems seasons 1-3 were amazing, with characters and situations unlike anything else ever seen before on any sitcom, and then things just changed somewhere along the way in season 4. I miss references to Wednesday Halo nights, Saturday laundry nights, anything can happen Thursday, etc...

While I still like the show, I mainly watch it because I love Jim Parsons and will follow him wherever he is. If for no other reason, I'll always love TBBT for bringing him onto my radar. I love the Sheldon character, but love the other four original characters as well. Heck, I even like Bernadette and Amy too for that matter. But now, instead of feeling like I'm watching an innovative and exciting show, I feel like I'm watching a newer version of Friends or similar show to How I met Yor Mother. If I want to watch either of those shows, I'll watch THOSE shows!

And I agree with what Disgusted said, watch what you say or you will be ganged up on! And Lord help you if you are over a certain age. I was arguing with someone and stopped dead in my tracks when I read thru some of this persons posts and saw them reference a cartoon and something about making fun of people on twitter in another post. I was embarrassed for my own self! LOL ah, you live , you learn!

• Like 1

listen personlly i did not care for all the refrences I could have them or not but the charaters are all losing thier appeal, sheldon isnt sheldon anymore, Raj is a depressed I really hate amy Bernie OK howard sucks now, and leonard penny thing fine but they never actually sho it by themselves they crammed themselves with relationships and girlfriend and now they are forced to write about it every single episode. I want (i gotts go to sleep) somebody to count how many plots per season were relationship related in season 2 compared to this one (two plots per episode)

I am happy to see that I am not alone in my conclusion that the show has de-volved into a standard "relationship-driven" sitcom - just like all the other watered-down "formula" sitcoms out there.

I started, and "stayed" watching because of the science, and the "unique" comedy that presented itself in witnessing the struggles that people generally defined as "geeks" deal with.

I loved Sheldon's scientific rants. Holy crap - Kudos to Jim for his skills at being able to do that - WOW !

The Penny character was always hit-and-miss for me.

I could see how it was "interesting" to have, but did not really care if they removed the character or not.

What made the show was the 4 guys - period.

I, too wish that they would bring the show back to its roots.

I don't think you have to always "evolve" the characters for a show to survive.

In fact, I believe that if you tamper with the chemistry too much, you will jump the shark, and the show will ultimately meet its own demise.

I would NOT tire of the show if it stayed focused on its true theme (as portrayed in Seasons 1-3).

Look at how long Seinfeld lasted.

The characters did not change who they were.

Sure, relationships came and went - but no permanent changes were cemented.

That was comedy gold !

Quite frankly, I do not care to tune in to a show to watch relationship issues.

I would hazard to guess that most of the original fans would agree with this.

The show is funnier, more unique, and much more interesting - withOUT the focus on relationships with the girlfriends.

If they continue down this line, they'll end up all marrying off, and the show will end up just like Friends - and be gone.

• Like 1

What's with this major horror of 'turning into Friends' that so many people seem to have? I'm curious. I've never seen Friends, but I've heard it was very popular in its time. Why are alleged similarities with that show such a bad thing?

Friends was funny when the main characters were actually just friends with each other.

It was complicated and uncomfortable when their interactions with each other changed so significantly - being "more than just friends".

They became different people than the ones we grew attachment to earlier on.

It is fine to have relationships outside of the friends circle, but when they start "mingling" as more than that - it is too big a change.

What's with this major horror of 'turning into Friends' that so many people seem to have? I'm curious. I've never seen Friends, but I've heard it was very popular in its time. Why are alleged similarities with that show such a bad thing?

I am happy to see that I am not alone in my conclusion that the show has de-volved into a standard "relationship-driven" sitcom - just like all the other watered-down "formula" sitcoms out there.

I started, and "stayed" watching because of the science, and the "unique" comedy that presented itself in witnessing the struggles that people generally defined as "geeks" deal with.

I loved Sheldon's scientific rants. Holy crap - Kudos to Jim for his skills at being able to do that - WOW !

I could see how it was "interesting" to have, but did not really care if they removed the character or not.

In fact, I believe that if you tamper with the chemistry too much, you will jump the shark, and the show will ultimately meet its own demise.

I would NOT tire of the show if it stayed focused on its true theme (as portrayed in Seasons 1-3).

That was comedy gold !

The show is funnier, more unique, and much more interesting - withOUT the focus on relationships with the girlfriends.

If they continue down this line, they'll end up all marrying off, and the show will end up just like Friends - and be gone.

Since I started watching TBBT the night the pilot aired in 2007, I suppose that makes me an ‘original’ fan, (you decide). My remembrance is that within five minutes of that first episode we were introduced to the first, and most enduring, relationship; Leonard’s ongoing pursuit of Penny. This happens before we hear anything about video games, but admittedly after some scientific terms, architecture, Sheldon’s work with lasers, faster downloads and MySpace. But, the relationship was there from the beginning.

In that same season we see Leonard involved with Leslie Winkle, Raj hooking up with a girl from Penny’s party, Howard in a semi relationship with the Whore of Omaha, all three guys pursuing Missy Cooper, and Leonard going on a date with Penny. With the exception of Penny and Leslie, it is conceded that all of these male-female interactions were with women that did not stick around. Thus, they did not affect the dynamic of the show. But, it does demonstrate that for the guys (minus Sheldon) the pursuit of female companionship has been a part of this show from the very beginning.

It may be argued that what has changed the show into an estrogen festival is the permanent addition of two female cast members. Though, in fact, there have always been more female cast members than just Penny. Leslie was a constant and was at one point elevated to the status of starring cast. Stephanie was on the show for multiple episodes, and Priya hung around for more than a season. What has changed is that they have made the female cast members friends with one another. Penny never hung out with Leslie or Stephanie. So, we never had female centric scenes until the addition of Bernadette and Amy. Prior to that, any time we saw one of the female characters it was in combination with one or more of the guys.

So, it would appear that what has really changed is that we now have fewer scenes featuring the four male characters. This inevitably results in less science, gaming, and techno-nerdy scenes as there are only twenty-two minutes of air time available per episode. This means that it is true that there is less nerd centric content on the show. It also means that this change can be blamed not on the permanent addition of the female cast members, but on the decision to make the female cast members friends with one another.

How to fix this? Well, I am not one that perceives TBBT to be broken. I generally enjoy the scenes with the girls and feel there is enough of the guy content to keep me satisfied. Eliminating Amy and Bernadette would, temporarily, shift the dynamic, but past actions indicate they would soon be replaced by other women. Is a testosterone based paradigm shift possible? Sure, but is it sustainable? History would seem to say it is not.

Since I started watching TBBT.....

I agree with this analysis. I also think they're not going back. The ratings results speak for themselves. For every disappointed nerd who stops watching, there will be 3 or 4 _________...ah well, you can fill in the blank, who will love the new direction.

For me, it's watchable, but no longer special.

That was comedy gold !

Since I started watching TBBT the night the pilot aired in 2007, I suppose that makes me an ‘original’ fan, (you decide). My remembrance is that within five minutes of that first episode we were introduced to the first, and most enduring, relationship; Leonard’s ongoing pursuit of Penny. This happens before we hear anything about video games, but admittedly after some scientific terms, architecture, Sheldon’s work with lasers, faster downloads and MySpace. But, the relationship was there from the beginning.

In that same season we see Leonard involved with Leslie Winkle, Raj hooking up with a girl from Penny’s party, Howard in a semi relationship with the Whore of Omaha, all three guys pursuing Missy Cooper, and Leonard going on a date with Penny. With the exception of Penny and Leslie, it is conceded that all of these male-female interactions were with women that did not stick around. Thus, they did not affect the dynamic of the show. But, it does demonstrate that for the guys (minus Sheldon) the pursuit of female companionship has been a part of this show from the very beginning.

It may be argued that what has changed the show into an estrogen festival is the permanent addition of two female cast members. Though, in fact, there have always been more female cast members than just Penny. Leslie was a constant and was at one point elevated to the status of starring cast. Stephanie was on the show for multiple episodes, and Priya hung around for more than a season. What has changed is that they have made the female cast members friends with one another. Penny never hung out with Leslie or Stephanie. So, we never had female centric scenes until the addition of Bernadette and Amy. Prior to that, any time we saw one of the female characters it was in combination with one or more of the guys.

So, it would appear that what has really changed is that we now have fewer scenes featuring the four male characters. This inevitably results in less science, gaming, and techno-nerdy scenes as there are only twenty-two minutes of air time available per episode. This means that it is true that there is less nerd centric content on the show. It also means that this change can be blamed not on the permanent addition of the female cast members, but on the decision to make the female cast members friends with one another.

How to fix this? Well, I am not one that perceives TBBT to be broken. I generally enjoy the scenes with the girls and feel there is enough of the guy content to keep me satisfied. Eliminating Amy and Bernadette would, temporarily, shift the dynamic, but past actions indicate they would soon be replaced by other women. Is a testosterone based paradigm shift possible? Sure, but is it sustainable? History would seem to say it is not.

This whole thing sums it up. I have no problems with the change, as long as the weird references still come in from time to time then it will still be different then the rest. Hell, Sheldon alone makes it a very different show then the rest.

Friends was funny when the main characters were actually just friends with each other.

It was complicated and uncomfortable when their interactions with each other changed so significantly - being "more than just friends".

They became different people than the ones we grew attachment to earlier on.

It is fine to have relationships outside of the friends circle, but when they start "mingling" as more than that - it is too big a change.

I see. This would perhaps be clearer to me if I had seen the show.

@HeWolf - that's an excellent analysis, and worth quoting in its entirety.

This whole thing sums it up. I have no problems with the change, as long as the weird references still come in from time to time then it will still be different then the rest. Hell, Sheldon alone makes it a very different show then the rest.

I agree with this, too, especially the last statement. The utter oddness of Sheldon and the brilliance of Jim's portrayal would be enough to elevate this show if nothing else did (and I do believe they are a fine ensemble cast, which makes it even better).

For this, of course, Sheldon has to remain different from the rest. For this I'd like to trust the writers and Jim. He may not stay 'different' in exactly the way he was 3 years back, but he's certainly going to always be 'different' compared to the rest of humanity. And that's good enough for me.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I hated Friends with all my soul. I absolutely love TBBT. I don't see it, but, whateaver.

btw, regarding Seinfeld... even George Constanza was engaged to be married. Food for thought.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. It's becoming less and less funny and more and more of a (violin music) soap opera. The writers/producers are destroying a once successful show. The ratings are still ok now, but it won't last and they will start dropping. You could see it coming in the episode where Bernadette forced Howard to take her with him to what was supposed to be just the 4 guys playing the Star Wars online game for the entire weekend. And then started whining about how the two of them should wear the same outfit in the game so others knew they were a couple.

Others believe every show must evolve or die.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every show that finds a sure fire formula for success, and then starts tinkering, eventually evolves itself off the air.

For this, of course, Sheldon has to remain different from the rest. For this I'd like to trust the writers and Jim. He may not stay 'different' in exactly the way he was 3 years back, but he's certainly going to always be 'different' compared to the rest of humanity. And that's good enough for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And not even that is going to last. Did you see where Sheldon grabbed Amy's hand at the end of the last episode? BBT is going to become just another generic relationship centered sitcom that is one third comedy and two thirds drama.

"Oh and yes, I am tired of this Leonard and Penny crap, they break up, get back together, break up again..and it looks like they are going to break up again."

Me too! I know the Leonard character is supposed to be the show's straight man,,,not quite as nerdy as the others. But at least in the first two or three years he had his funny moments. But now, for me, he's become intolerable. When he isn't with Penny, he becomes a whiney, pouting, insufferable brat, and it drags the entire episode down.

And in almost all the episode descriptions now, it's "Leonard and Penny" or "Howard and Bernadette." You don't see "The Guys." And because it's becoming a more relationship oriented show, other hilarious characters are seen less and less, like the comic book store owner and Kripke.

"Oh and yes, I am tired of this Leonard and Penny crap, they break up, get back together, break up again..and it looks like they are going to break up again."

Me too! I know the Leonard character is supposed to be the show's straight man,,,not quite as nerdy as the others. But at least in the first two or three years he had his funny moments. But now, for me, he's become intolerable. When he isn't with Penny, he becomes a whiney, pouting, insufferable brat, and it drags the entire episode down.

And in almost all the episode descriptions now, it's "Leonard and Penny" or "Howard and Bernadette." You don't see "The Guys." And because it's becoming a more relationship oriented show, other hilarious characters are seen less and less, like the comic book store owner and Kripke.

Yeah, in fact, Leonard is even kind of insufferable when he IS with Penny. His exchanges with her as they were all on the roof were more likely to push her away than bring her back in. His way of getting her to agree with him seems to be to point out how she contradicts herself but in kind of a douchey way. I guess it's not as funny that way but it does make me think it would hurt the potential relationship more than help it.

Sorry to reference Seinfeld again, but there is one pertinent analogy.

When George was going to get married to Susan, they ended up killing her character off.

Prior to that, it was foreshadowed - if you remember - George was trying to underline that the George you know and love (independent George) is a different entity than "relationship George".

The quote was "If relationship George walks through this door, he will kill independent George".

The Seinfeld folks "got" it.

Introducing a permanent "relationship" with the main characters would change the original chemistry too much - and the winning formula would be upset.

I wish TBBT folks would take a step back and look at what they are doing.

(perhaps it is all now only about ratings and dollars - which is more motivation than most would need these days. This explains the pandering being done to appease a broader female demographic - evident in the season 5 relationshippy "storylines".)

I feel this is what is happening to the show.

The "relationship" slant is killing the personas of the characters we grew to love - as now they are a different "entity" with the girlfriends at their sides, and in their own girls-clique.

Remember the recent episode, where Raj had to point out - how much he was looking forward to just spending time with the "guys" again - just like old times.

He nailed that one on the head.

The addition of permanent female relationships has been a soaking wet blanket on the charisma of the show.

Look at the Amy character for example.

When she was first introduced, she was a robotic, logic-centric, female-Sheldon.

That was actually funny - to see her interact just like Sheldon does.

Then....(why oh why did they have to do it), they changed her into a woman who stopped being like Sheldon, and more like a woman who "needs a man" - then gets hell-bent on seducing him.

The whole hand-holding scene at the end really paints a clear picture of the direction the writers/producers are going to take the show.

I'm afraid we're in store for more cookie-cutter relationship stories for season 6.

I vote to bring back the nerdy, scientific, logic-based, gaming, comic-book loving, awkward, funny, UNIQUE, guys of seasons 1-3.

That was entertaining, and definitely different enough than anything else on the tube, keeping you wanting more.

I love the fact that everyone on this forum is so passionate about the show.

I can appreciate the differences of opinion of those who prefer relationship-comedies, and of those (like me), who would like this show to get back to its roots.

I simply feel that the show is turning into what can be seen "on every other sitcom out there".

If this show turns into that, then there will be a point where it has diminished its unique value enough to turn away even its truest fans.

I hope that day does not come - I love the show.

I agree with the above poster.

This show is getting so much about the relationships it is well away form being the show it was the first few seasons. It is not something I particularly like but I guess I'll see how it goes.

But I do fear it will become too much about relationships ... I mean, my goodness, Rules of Engagement is LESS about relationships than Big Bang Theory right now even though it centers upon two couples but it also has a few other single characters who stay true to themselves.