The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Moonbase

Avengers Assemble

Joss Whedon's Avengers is out and I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Has anyone seen it? What did you think?

I have not seen it other but the reviews are very positive. It holds a 93% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.com

I haven't had time to see it yet. The shows have been selling out everywhere, including the theater I work at. We were not prepared to add 8 more showings last night. Lol.

The reviews are great and everyone loves it. Definitely a must-see, even if you're not into Marvel, but I can't imagine anyone on this board isn't. :p

I was doing theater checks yesterday, and it's seriously the epitome of action-packed. All the characters duke it out and it's really aggressive awesomeness!

There's also something after the credits, so don't leave the theater early!

Great thanks. Not sure what I'm going to make of it but I will report back.

I see your Harvey counter... 36 days to go!

I just got done watching Captain America and I can't wait to see the Avengers. It looks really good. I still have to see Green Lantern...maybe next week.

I'm trying to see most of the other films first as it's hard as a 51 year mum of two to catch up on years of sci fi and heroes movies in two weeks. My only fantasy background is LOTR. I have seen Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor and The Hulk so far.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

saw it on saturday...... I can only tell you this: GO.SEE.IT.NOW!!!!!

I liked it a lot... my only comment, is that really all they need is the Hulk...

Greatest....Marvel movie....EVER!

You need to see this, and this a rare one for me to add, see it in 3D, IMAX 3D if possible. It add so much to the film. The Hulk is the best character in the whole movie.

Greatest....Marvel movie....EVER!

You need to see this, and this a rare one for me to add, see it in 3D, IMAX 3D if possible. It add so much to the film. The Hulk is the best character in the whole movie.

Do you really think so? I've seen it twice in 2d and have been pondering whether it's worth the IMAX 3D experience, from what I've heard the 3D makes the picture really dark...

So it's worth the extra money then? And yes the Hulk does steal the show :)

I don't want to see it. I immensely dislike Joss Whedon, and I swore I would never watch anything he's involved in. He's such a buzz kill for me. Firefly was the nail in the coffin. :icon_lol:

Tell me, is there a moment in the movie where a beloved character is getting killed for shock value? Or a moment when the main character acts like a self-congratulating egotistical douche and doesn't ever realize how obnoxious he's coming across? Is there a moment of an almost rape? Or at least a moment of a shivering female heroine collapsing into a bubble on the floor? Did you get the sinking feeling of "no, don't hurt him/her, we like him/her the best, how could you!"?

If not, maybe Joss had changed his playbook, and it's time to give him another shot. If yes, I'm pass. :icon_lol:

I saw it in 3D, it was pretty entertaining. Definitetly action packed, its not nornally the sort if thing I'd go too but I wanted it check it out because I AM a Joss Whedon fan! And yes the hulk totally made the film. BB I'm afraid to ask. In fact I don't think I even will. :rolleyes:

I AM a Joss Whedon fan! And yes the hulk totally made the film. BB I'm afraid to ask. In fact I don't think I even will. :rolleyes:

Nothing much to tell. I used to be Joss Whedon fan, but the tone of his work became progressively weird over the years. There was soul and heart in his early works. Then he got smug and boring.

He became very formulaic in his playbook, very predictable, and eventually I realized that every time I watched something by him, I was more disappointed than entertained. So I decided to stop watching. :icon_lol:

Tell me, is there a moment in the movie where a beloved character is getting killed for shock value?

People die, but no main characters or beloved ones.

Or a moment when the main character acts like a self-congratulating egotistical douche and doesn't ever realize how obnoxious he's coming across?

Stark acts like a total arrogant douche, but he knows it.

Is there a moment of an almost rape?

No.

Or at least a moment of a shivering female heroine collapsing into a bubble on the floor?

Hmmm, not into a bubble, but she hides from a rampaging Hulk for a bit, but so would I. And this heroine doesn't shiver, she is bad ass.

Did you get the sinking feeling of "no, don't hurt him/her, we like him/her the best, how could you!"?

No.

If not, maybe Joss had changed his playbook, and it's time to give him another shot. If yes, I'm pass. :icon_lol:

I'd recommend you watch it. =)

Slightly long second act but finale definitely makes up for this...not into action or superhero films but LOVED Avengers...being a devoted Whedon fan I am biased though.

Slightly long second act but finale definitely makes up for this...not into action or superhero films but LOVED Avengers...being a devoted Whedon fan I am biased though.

Me too. :icon_cool: I love his dialogue and character development.

Here're some funny tidbits from the review by my favorite critic (Roger Ebert):

"bringing the Avengers together... reopens ancient rivalries, until they learn the benefits of Teamwork, which is discussed in speeches of noble banality. So you see this is sort of an educational film, teaching the Avengers to do what was so highly valued on my first-grade report card: the concept of Working Well With Others.

These films are all more or less similar, and "The Avengers" gives us much, much more of the same...

"Comic-Con nerds will have multiple orgasms," predicts critic David Edelstein in New York magazine, confirming something I had vaguely suspected about them. If he is correct, it's time for desperately needed movies to re-educate nerds in the joys of sex. "The Avengers" is done well by Joss Whedon, with style and energy. It provides its fans with exactly what they desire. Whether it is exactly what they deserve is arguable."

BWAH!!! This is about Sheldon! :icon_lol:

I'm a huge Whedon fan, have been ever since Buffy back in the late '90s, and I loved this movie. Pure comic book geeky goodness. I think Sheldon, Leonard, Howard, and Raj would have gotten a kick out of it. I hope they mention it at some point in the upcoming season.

It's conventional storytelling but that review is pretty atypical in itself. Mock the nerds over sex, we must be getting too much attention. :icon_lol:

Buffy rocks!

I love Roger Ebert, he's not afraid to lay it out as he sees it and be unconventional. He was the ONLY critic who wrote a glowing positive review about Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl. The rest of professional critics were like lemmings, piling loads of crap on that fantastically fun movie. (Why? Because it was about pirates, and that means by definition it can't be good.)

Apparently they didn't see a good thing and great ensemble performance even when it was staring them in the face... The breakaway success of POTC took the professional critics by total surprise, and then the same ones who were crapping all over the first gem of a movie were all glowing with praise over the second one (which was not that good, LOL). Sold out lemmings, the lot of them. :icon_lol:

I liked it so much, and my coworkers know I love Iron Man and RDJ. I've had time to see it twice. I got to take this home. It's like 8 feet tall and in my room now... haha.

YAZgI.jpg?1