The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bloodless

Too much estrogen in the show now

I had never watched this show until about 1 month ago.

Someone told me it was funny, so I decided to give it a try.

So, I got a hold of seasons 1-4, and watched them all within the span of 2 weeks.

Seeing all episodes, one after the other, immediately (without a 1 week separation between episodes), gave me a unique perspective on how the show has evolved/changed over the seasons.

In a nutshell, I really liked the show a lot - mostly because of the interactions of the 4 male characters and their dealings with everyone else.

I liked how they played off each other's quirks and stayed true to their own characters.

Penny's character is the only one that changed - quite rapidly, actually. In the very beginning she was the naiive new tennant who was friendly and welcoming of everyone - but the writers quickly turned her into someone who was "self-aware" of her hotness - using it as a weapon, and even elevating herself in perceived "coolness" above the level of the 4 guys.

Ok, I can deal with that.

BUT - near the end of season 4, the writers started to introduce more female characters - likely to bring in more female viewers.

I find the "girlfriend" female characters to be a distraction from the main male characters.

As season 4 ended, and I started to "catch-up" to the Season 5 episodes, more and more episodes had way too much time spent on the females.

Quite frankly, the girlfriend chemistry that the writers are trying to introduce waters-down the antics of the guys.

I am so sick of seeing the "girls" together chit chatting about "whatever" that I actually skip past those parts of the show - and then watch just the main characters.

I am sure I'm not alone in my opinion on this.

I say ditch the girlfriends - keep Penny - let the guys be who they are, without turning the episodes into "every other sitcom" dealing with "relationships". "gag"

Geez, we can get that kind of relationship dribble on every other sitcom/soap opera/romantic "comedy" out there.

The Big Bang Theory was unique.

Now it is not.

Let the guys be their nerdy selves - with their various conquests and failures. That formula is truly very unique, intelligent and funny.

I am saddened that the writers chose to turn the show into yet another "relationshippy" comedy - just for the sake of appealing to more female viewers.

I can say this because I "power-watched" 4 seasons in 2 weeks - and both drew an appreciation for the show and its characters, in addition to seeing how the show evolved over time.

Bottom line - the focus has now been split between the "hens" and the guys - and I for one don't like it.

I hope they bring the show back to its roots, as I really like the original cast members a lot - as they had a unique chemistry that was comic genius.

Ditch the Amy and Bernadette "characters/roles".

Please.

Thing is the whole point was 3 smart people and penny trying to get laid. Lennard trying and failing more often to get Penny or just sex. And Sheldon being a-sexual. The show hasn't changed much, just added more characters to put a face to who they found. They need Howard not to be 100% hornball on Penny, or then he wouldn't be friends with Lennard anymore. They needed, Sheldon to find someone or he stays 100% single layered.

I also watched 100+ epps in 2 weeks, so I know where you are coming from. But they need to evolve the show or it will die. No comedy has been on for 100 epps without some major evolution in the main characters. Even the cartoon characters evolve.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Amy & Bernadette are here to stay. And I'm glad. There's just about a limit on how many times they can cycle Penny in all the girls stories. There is also a limit on how many guest female stars they can have until the show becomes a revolving one-dimension character revolving door, like in 2 1/2 men. There is also a limit on how many times the guys can be complaining they are alone, and doing nothing but playing Halo and eating chinese food.

It has been 5 seasons. It is absolutely unrealistic to expect a show with that many episodes to remain the same as in the past seasons. If the show didn't change it wouldn't have survived. Pure Darwinisim. Adapt for die. And stalled characters, repetitive storylines and no character growing are death for a TV show (the only excepction being maybe Seinfeld... but even George Constanza managed to get engaged so...).

Also, I resent the title. "too much estrogen". Absolutely misoginistic. As if female characters/viewers were not as valuable and important as the male ones. For ME, their additions gave the show a fresh air feeling. To be perfectly honest, if it wasn't for Amy & Bernadette (and specially Amy) I wouldn't be watching the show anymore. Who stays the same throughout 5 years? As Perfxion said, not even cartoons.

Nostalgic sometimes? Watch Seaons 1 & Season 2 DVD's. But don't expect the show to go back to the original formula, that, even though it was wonderful, and it worked, there comes a time, when the show has to move on. And so do you. And so does everyone.

There are plenty of people here on this forum that agree with you. But I guess it just depends on what you like. My husband, for example, really likes the girls and the new relationship themes, even though he originally got hooked on the show in the earlier seasons. He is a very science, nerd kind of guy, but he still likes the new episodes too.

All shows change over time. It's just part of it. I am happy with it, as long as they don't change sheldon too much, because he is the main reason I watch the show.

It's funny because we are getting quite a few new fans, who have crashed coursed the show. So you are not alone. There are also plenty of longer serving members who would agree with some of your points, if not all of them.

When I first started watching, I didn't think it would run past 3 seasons. It was much more unusual then it is now and I thought it would just finish up that way. But it's still with us! And some change is enviable. I'm still watching the show and enjoying it. I have no idea if I will feel this way next season but there's one thing for sure, it ain't going backwards now.

I also don't like your title!

If you don't like that much estrogen on the show, maybe cut out Raj? Lol, but seriously.

Big Bang is still 'unique' and there's a reason why it's the #1 show on television right now. People, like us, who obviously still like the show continue to watch it, and will continue to do so until it ends. Lots of people are starting to catch on just now, at the end of season 5. That being said, you're not alone with your opinion, but I don't agree with you.

The show needs them. I personally love the characters they have added, and at this point, the girls have more substance than Raj. If anything, they could kill Raj off and I don't think that many people would miss him (I would, but he almost has no function now except being the lonely guy without a girlfriend - and is probably the most girly or metro of them all - surely you noticed that, right?).

Change is going to happen and not everyone is going to like it, and that's just how things go sometimes. We're lucky enough to live in a time that you can buy a DVD and choose which ones you want to watch. *gasp* The only one splitting the show between genders and sexes is you. The show didn't do that to you.

Although if I hear one more comment about Mayim being ugly I'll have a cow, but that's another story. :icon_lol:

Have your cow because she IS ugly. She passed for cute as Blossom but not as an adult. Sorry. :icon_twisted:

ohmmm how about shut-up?

Mayim+Bialik+20th+Annual+Night+Sardi+Fundraiser+jj42J9tUF6-l.jpg

mayim-283x450.jpg

Mayim%20Bialik-AES-040979.jpg

Mayim+Bialik+Premiere+Warner+Bros+Pictures+jkbXP-xqY8wl.jpg

tumblr_lznlhfKcil1r2ezt9o4_400.jpg

Mayim+Bialik+CBS+Bang+Theory+Celebrates+Their+bZOsCeKPi6yl.jpg

Have your cow because she IS ugly. She passed for cute as Blossom but not as an adult. Sorry. :icon_twisted:

ohmmm how about shut-up?

mayim-283x450.jpg

Seconded. I'd be lucky to be half as pretty as Mayim.

I'm not even bothered because I knew it was gonna be you.

ohmmm how about shut-up?

mayim-283x450.jpg

Seconded. I'd be lucky to be half as pretty as Mayim.

I hate it when people put down characters on the show. Seriously? A lot of watchers like the show the way it is right now. If the show revolved around just the guys, it would get boring... quick. There's just those handful of people that dislike the "girlfriends" and can't accept change. jeesh. Oh, and by the way, Mayim Bialik is BEAUTIFUL.

I don't find Mayim attractive. At all. Even in the "flattering" pictures posted earlier. Sorry.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. I got into the show "late," fell in love with the first few seasons and feel generally disappointed in the most recent season. The girls and their relationships with the guys get too much of the focus. Bitching about it is pointless, because there are tons of people who prefer the new dynamic, but hey, at least I feel better having complained.

Sigh.. same old, same old story everywhere. Too much estrogen on this nerdy show now. Too much estrogen in the hard sciences, in the rockets, on top of corporate ladders, out on the streets, outside of those kitchens they're supposed to be in. What a pity.

It's perfect how it is.

The only complaint i ever have is with so many main characters, in the episodes that have all the characters, some only get like one scene like Raj this last week and Penny a few weeks prior only had one scene in the whole episode.

Now the actresses who play Bernadette and Amy are not in every episode. Mayim wasnt in a new episode for like 3 straight episodes recently. The actress who plays Bernadette wasnt in a few episodes at the beginning of the season.

The people who are disliking it right now are just people wanting to find an excuse not to like it, if you don't like it thats cool but don't blame the other characters. It's the same show it's always been. It would be fine if you said I don't like that this and this is happening. But it's not the females. It's not the characters.

Sigh.. same old, same old story everywhere. Too much estrogen on this nerdy show now. Too much estrogen in the hard sciences, in the rockets, on top of corporate ladders, out on the streets, outside of those kitchens they're supposed to be in. What a pity.

You Go Girl!

Just be careful what you go for. Don't become "She who fights monsters"

http://www.mgtowforums.com/forums/mens-general-discussion/6287-why-do-women-really-complain-there-no-good-men-left.html

To me, BBT was an exceptional approach to an uncommon scenario: genius roommates. It was clever, original, and endearing in that these geniuses were also regular humans.

I personally believe the maximum mileage for a TV show with no major overhauls is four seasons - BBT has not been an exception. And although, I am grateful the show was not discontinued, I am disappointed with recent BBT; not because there was change, but because the changes were ordinary. I feel in most of the recent episodes ANY guys could play out their roles. It is funny to see geniuses deal with the day-to-day realities non-geniuses have to deal with; my problem is that they're not really being geniuses about it. Honestly, if I had started with season 5 and no prior knowledge of the show, I don't know how much I would get from the writing that these guys were geniuses (or at least exceptional).

There is a growing "lowest-common-denominator" about the show's writing. But I've grown attached to these characters, so I'll keep watching. I just don't think it's all that endearing to watch exceptional people doing everyday things the same way ordinary people do.

And for the record - I think Amy is one of the best decisions they've made with the show.

Amy is not attractive because she's not supposed to be attractive. Mayim is a beautiful woman, and a very talented and special person. To attack the actor personally because you disagree with the creative direction of the show is despicable and very sad.

Amy is not attractive because she's not supposed to be attractive. Mayim is a beautiful woman, and a very talented and special person. To attack the actor personally because you disagree with the creative direction of the show is despicable and very sad.

agree. It is sad, despicable, and quite frankly, really pathetic to attack actors only because of a dislike for the character.

Saw something similar to that on Youtube regarding Johnny on Entourage. Because apparently he's a douche on that show.

That just makes me want to watch it even more though.

Saw something similar to that on Youtube regarding Johnny on Entourage. Because apparently he's a douche on that show.

he was very good on that show, he played an "evil Johnny" kinda thing LOL it was really funny seeing him acting in that kind of role, specially since he was supposedly playing himself.

BTW, have you seen this? the other day a girl asked Johnny to go to the prom with her, he was really sweet to the girl :)

he was very good on that show, he played an "evil Johnny" kinda thing LOL it was really funny seeing him acting in that kind of role, specially since he was supposedly playing himself.

BTW, have you seen this? the other day a girl asked Johnny to go to the prom with her, he was really sweet to the girl :)

That was fracking adorable. I'm not even jealous. :icon_redface:

hmmmm, no you don't.

I made a topic like this last week to talk how much the show has become less funny over time because of all the relationship problems.

I do agree with some of the replies saying that the show needed to change a bit after season 3..but that doesn't mean they should change the whole nature of characters to attract more viewers right? Like Sheldon - When was the last time he went on one of his psychotic rants ? I cant remember the last "BAZINGA"...or any time they played video games together except for that lame star wars game episode, it was a stupid episode that was made to remind us that they were still gamers.

Leonard and Penny has been going on for too long aswell, Howard and Bernadette's wedding planning has been going over 1 whole season ? They got engaged in 20th episode of 4th season If I remember right..so what's up with that?

Raj needs to get a girlfriend, I have said this over and over..he is the ONLY one who hasn't had a gf for more than one episode in all 5 seasons...thats the change we need, Raj's mutism was one of the best things on the show but now he is drunk all the time around women so if he is going to be drunk, get him a girlfriend.

My wishes for season 6

Sheldon and Amy break up - I dont want to see Sheldon in a relationship.

Howard and Bernadette to get married and Bernadette to go out of town and make less appearances on the show, her voice annoys me.

Raj to get a girlfriend, maybe a deaf one, or another mute girl? That would be funny

Leonard and Penny to break up - Leonard has been trying to have a stable relationship with Penny FOR 5 SEASONS and it hasn't worked so far.

Leonard's mom to make more appearances. Yea, thats all.

I too have crashed course the DVD's and I can emphasize with the feelings of change that you experience as you view in quick sucession but I find the introduction of the girls a needed, refreshing storyline which lifts the fun into a new dimension. I only ask that they occasionally do an episode with just the four guys (or with Penny) to remind us of the core storyline we all love.

Paint her face green and she looks IDENTICAL to the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz. And she was supposed to be ugly. You know it's true.:icon_twisted:

I have to admit, that's pretty damn funny.

Oo, Oo, Wizard of Oz dream episode!

Amy as the wicked witch.

Penny as Dorothy

Leonard as the scarecrow

Sheldon as the tin man

Howard as the cowardly lion

Bernadette as the good witch of the north.

Raj as one of the flying monkeys

I can just hear Amy saying to Penny: "I'll get you, my pretty!"

Just need to find a bunch of munchkins.