Just signed up to express how offended I am at TBBT's pro-Xtian bias

Don't get me wrong I love the show, but there's something I just noticed in their intro sequence (watch

).

They use a very offensive calendar-related term that, while commonly used by ignoramuses in the public sphere, has absolutely no place in a science-themed program— BC (standing for "Before [xtian deity]").

As a Jewish atheist (yes that's a real thing) and esteemed scientist (the antithesis of your typical dumb American xtian invalid), I am boycotting this program until they fix this insane error and change it to the proper scientific term BCE (standing for "Before Common Era"). Using a xtian religious term in a science show is simply despicable, I'm baffled as to how someone involved with production never caught this earlier.

In case you can't see the video, here's a screenshot of the offending issue:

n6ylv7.png

Anyone else as peeved as me about this? And to those who still use BC/AD, please stop perpetuating this xtian nonsense and get with the times.

Look, BCE was created to be based off of BC. It was a simple rewording. There's NOTHING scientific about it. Nothing scientific happened at 0BCE-0CE to denote exactly why that is the point at which the time frame shifts from counting backward to counting forward.

It is only because Christians (and despite your anger, your apparent need to slight them has been noted) recognize the originally believed year of their savior's birth (although in retrospect has proven to be a few years off) is the time to record their calendar.

Would your anger be any different if we had used the start of the Roman Empire to start counting years?

In western society the BC/AD format has been decided as a simple format. BCE/CE has just been a cop-out after the fact slight. Nothing more.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Wow, some people really have nothing better to do than to get so worked up over these things. Is just a way to count years. Religous intolerance can also come from atheists.

BTW, you do not seem to know that the original formulator of The Big Bang Theory (which he called 'hypothesis of the primeval atom") and the expansion of the Universe was Monsignor Georges Lemaître..... a Catholic Priest? who was endorsed and admired by none other than Albert Einstein?

if you have that in mind... it is actually appropiate...

but really... getting offended over Calendar noting is the most irrational thing I have ever heard. Boycott away, no one cares.

Look, BCE was created to be based off of BC. It was a simple rewording. There's NOTHING scientific about it. Nothing scientific happened at 0BCE-0CE to denote exactly why that is the point at which the time frame shifts from counting backward to counting forward.

It is only because Christians (and despite your anger, your apparent need to slight them has been noted) recognize the originally believed year of their savior's birth (although in retrospect has proven to be a few years off) is the time to record their calendar.

Would your anger be any different if we had used the start of the Roman Empire to start counting years?

In western society the BC/AD format has been decided as a simple format. BCE/CE has just been a cop-out after the fact slight. Nothing more.

BCE isn't "based" on BC, it's a secular acronym used by scientists, historians, and all of academia (and Jewish culture) to refer to the common era by which most of the civilized world is forced to adhere. I'm not saying that anything scientific happened at 0 CE itself, I'm saying that the secular terminology is conducive to an academic/scientific setting, and that it is more accurate to say we are in the Common Era than to say we are "In the year of our [expletive]".

As for the Roman Empire example, I'd have no problem with that since it is not explicitly tied to religion, especially xtianity. Most religions (well, only one and half really) is extremely detrimental to society, countless innocent people including millions of Jews have been murdered because of it. It is appalling that a science-themed sitcom in the 21st century CE is using this outdated, laughable xtian mythological nonsense in their presentation of the show. Doesn't help that they show a depiction of the xtian deity in the sequence itself.

The BC/AD format has not been "decided as a simple format" in Western society, it is merely perpetuated by xtian religionists and ignorant unscientific people. BCE/CE is the correct term and is increasing in use constantly, and will eventually replace the insanely offensive xtian drivel.

They use a very offensive calendar-related term that, while commonly used by ignoramuses in the public sphere, has absolutely no place in a science-themed program— BC (standing for "Before [xtian deity]").

As a Jewish atheist (yes that's a real thing) and esteemed scientist (the antithesis of your typical dumb American xtian invalid), I am boycotting this program until they fix this insane error and change it to the proper scientific term BCE (standing for "Before Common Era"). Using a xtian religious term in a science show is simply despicable, I'm baffled as to how someone involved with production never caught this earlier.

Anyone else as peeved as me about this? And to those who still use BC/AD, please stop perpetuating this xtian nonsense and get with the times.

I find your fixation on labels bigoted and laughingly provincial, everyone in the galaxy knows that the current date is 80,000,002,012 A.X. (After Xenu).

As a Jewish atheist (yes that's a real thing)

I find your choice of words....interesting.

I don't think BCE or CE is a cop-out I think it has a legitimate usage for those who are not Christian. Not everyone in the world is a Christian. So BCE or CE is a reasonable compromise for those who are not Christian.

Getting upset because a fictitious show doesn't use BCE or CE is silly in my opinion.

If the date on a five year old graphic offends you so much, then you must be absolutely livid during the Christmas episodes. And in need of a sedative any time Sheldon's mother is on the show.

Pro-Christian bias? That statement is laughable! The only religion that hasn't been lampooned on this show is Islam. They go after them all, and if there was a Moslem character on TBBT they would probably mock Islam too. (At least until the protests started...)

Don't get your panties in a wad. I find it both hilarious and strange that a self-professed "esteemed scientist" would get so upset over this. I guess "esteemed scientists" must have allot of free time on their hands, unlike "typical dumb American xtian invalids".

Ahh Hell :icon_twisted: I was trying to be nice but I "smell" a troll and you know what that means......

:icon_arrow: "HIT" Troll with Axe

Break out the "torches" and pass the "ammunition" Boys and Girls cuz the "Bear's" got a axe to grind!

To yaysuekristy: I understand your argument on how the BCE term is now becoming widely accepted in the academic world. I hate to burst your bubble, but BC is still more commonly known,accepted and used throughout the world, of at least for sure in the USA. If you want to take this issue to the extreme, well then, the year isn't 2012. Do you have the new calendar yet?

Such a pro-christian show indeed... of the 7 main characters, here's what we know of their religion:

Leonard: Never mentioned, all signs point to Atheist/Agnostic

Sheldon: Atheist/Agnostic

Howard: Semi-practicing Jewish

Raj: Semi-practicing Hindu

Penny: Never mentioned, all signs point to Atheist/Agnostic

Amy: Never mentioned, all signs point to Atheist/Agnostic

Bernadette: Never mentioned, all signs point to Atheist/Agnostic*

(*correctly pointed out by Sursonica that Bernadette is Catholic)

The only christian character on the show is Sheldon's mom, and they make her look like a nutbag.

This show is anything but pro-christian.

Such a pro-christian show indeed... of the 7 main characters, here's what we know of their religion:

Bernadette: Never mentioned, all signs point to Atheist/Agnostic

The only christian character on the show is Sheldon's mom, and they make her look like a nutbag.

Bernadette is Catholic, as per what Howard has said, but other than wearing the cross, she doesn't seem to practice it, so...

Ahh Hell :icon_twisted: I was trying to be nice but I "smell" a troll and you know what that means......

Break out the "torches" and pass the "ammunition" Boys and Girls cuz the "Bear's" got a axe to grind!

Pet peeve of mine... I have to point it out every time... You can't hit the troll with the axe!!!! =)

One of the few mistakes the show has made on its accuracy of nerdy stuff...

Bernadette is Catholic, as per what Howard has said, but other than wearing the cross, she doesn't seem to practice it, so...

Ugh, as soon as I read your reply I was like DUH!! =)

But, the fact it isn't a huge part of her personality or character is telling abotu how they push religion on the show.

But, the fact it isn't a huge part of her personality or character is telling abotu how they push religion on the show.

agree, they have mentioned it but they don't push religion at all on the show.

anyway, even if any of the characters were religious.. what would be wrong with that? many scientists are. I am an Astrophisicist and a Catholic... and as I mentioned earlier, the formulator of the Big Bang Theory itself was a Catholic Priest...

Pet peeve of mine... I have to point it out every time... You can't hit the troll with the axe!!!! =)

One of the few mistakes the show has made on its accuracy of nerdy stuff...

My apologies SydNC....Always been a "Katana" man myself "Samuri" code of the "Bushido".Just kinda a fun quote to use to express a point :icon_cheesygrin:

Personally I don't really care. It's a very trivial thing to get so worked up over.

Being agnostic, if I was going to go into a rage over EVERY aspect of the general stupidity of the arguments and aspects of religion and anti-religion and religion on religion hate, I wouldn't have enough time in my day to wipe.

Ranting about this being such a serious topic in life belittles anything else you might champion.

It's this kinda thing that just makes me want to use BC/AD MORE.

What's next, Europeans coming on here boycotting the show because BBT doesn't use metric all the time?

Sheesh.

Personally I don't really care. It's a very trivial thing to get so worked up over.

Being agnostic, if I was going to go into a rage over EVERY aspect of the general stupidity of the arguments and aspects of religion and anti-religion and religion on religion hate, I wouldn't have enough time in my day to wipe.

Ranting about this being such a serious topic in life belittles anything else you might champion.

It's this kinda thing that just makes me want to use BC/AD MORE.

What's next, Europeans coming on here boycotting the show because BBT doesn't use metric all the time?

Sheesh.

exactly.

BTW, scientists also use the Metric system, so they would also have to boycott it :D

Really??? It's clear the intent is to piss everyone off, you can tell how deeply religious they are reading their bibles in bed everynight and they are constantly being seen in the church.....

(Sarcasm)The point is....This show is harmless and has no malicious intent. The 1% that would have an issue with this need to get a grip. Not everyone believes in the same thing, theres a common belief yes i suppose.

After 5 series someone joins to say (s)he is boycotting the show!!! because of a graphic in the title!!!

thumbnail.aspx?q=4546189091079253&id=11e5da3056ab5501b6c57e7e36bafbfc

yeah (s)he comes to us like we know bill or chuck personally thinking that we could make a difference if this person is so angry mabye she should do something about it instead of trying to envoke a raction on a fansite