The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Schrödinger's Cat

"Boldly Go Howard Wolowitz..."

Full disclosure here... I'm often amused by Sheldon, but I'm not a huge fan. His idiosyncrasies provide plenty of comedic material, but I find his insensitivity and selective emotional investment (ie when it suits him it's fine and no problem being an azz when it doesn't) a but of a stretch at times, as well as something the writers take advantage of too often.

That said, his utterance of "Boldly Go Howard Wolowitz" before holding Amy's hand was a top ten TBBT moment of all time, and my favorite Sheldon line ever - BY FAR. Full of emotion, investment in his friend, admiration, excitement, and genuine pleasure and recognition of Howard's accomplishment as well as Sheldon realizing and enjoying the chance to share the moment with other friends.

What a GREAT final scene. Extremely well written (even if there were not many lines at all) and WONDERFULLY portrayed!

If you have not read Chuck Lorre's episode ending "card" (briefly on screen after each episode, written by Lorre himself each time) you need to look it up as it deals with this topic, and one of the most powerful TBBT scenes of all time for the writers as well as me.

I'm iPhoning this, so posting the "card" is a little tougher. Perhaps someone can assist?

Or, your thoughts on the line?

^ I completely agree.

This was the vanity card (and the point at which I actually teared up):

This may sound silly, but I had to stifle tears when we wrote the last scene of tonight's episode. The same thing happened when we rehearsed it. And then again when it was performed in front of a studio audience. And yet again when we watched the final version in an editing bay. I don't know what it is, but there's something primal, something deeply human being expressed when these characters unconsciously hold hands while watching their friend embark on a monumental journey. Speaking of which, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for watching The Big Bang Theory, for being part of our journey. I hope you've laughed a lot and stifled a little. I hope you're holding someone's hand. See you next year.

That said, his utterance of "Boldly Go Howard Wolowitz" before holding Amy's hand was a top ten TBBT moment of all time, and my favorite Sheldon line ever - BY FAR. Full of emotion, investment in his friend, admiration, excitement, and genuine pleasure and recognition of Howard's accomplishment as well as Sheldon realizing and enjoying the chance to share the moment with other friends.

What a GREAT final scene. Extremely well written (even if there were not many lines at all) and WONDERFULLY portrayed!

Or, your thoughts on the line?

As I mentioned on another thread I think it tells us a lot about the character's emotional growth, the fact that Sheldon is nervous or excited for his friend (or is he still just a treasured acquaintance?). So he finally has acknowledged that something one of his friends did is important, if not verbally at least in a physical way by feeling the need to reach out to Amy. So was it just for moral support?

I think we can safely say that was a biggest human side of Sheldon we have ever seen on the show. While it is important to show character growth, i just hope that Sheldon stays his old-robot-self in season 6.

The writer wanted the moment to be a big one for Sheldon - which is why Jim delivered the line the way he did and HE reached out to Amy, not the other way around. Sheldon also went LAST.

If the moment was supposed to be about Howard/Bernadette, then Raj and her would have went LAST, or perhaps been the only ones holding hands or connecting in a way unique from the others in the room.

The writers HAVE to explore this side of Sheldon now. It was too big a moment and it came in a Season Finale. He won't become an emotional softie or anything over the top, but I expect a new side of Sheldon to be on display more so than ever before. To NOT explore this new side of Sheldon will be EXACTLY what I don't like about the character. Legit emotional investment at times, or expressions of legit care for others, but then he treats some of them like complete crap when it's "funny" ("treasured acquaintance" should never be used again for example). Find more of a middle ground.

He's no robot as evidenced during the launch.

I also expect Raj to remain alone or continue to have his solitude a big part of the show, now that his relationship/friendship with Howard is diminished by marriage. It would be nice if Bernadette reached out to him and alowed him to be a bug part of her world, perhaps realizing it will be tough for him with less Howard in his life I also expect Penny's reaching out to hold Leonard's hand an indication of ENORMOUS repair in their relationship. L/P fans should be happy. (I am)

GREAT SCENE!

Here is the card, written by Chuck Lorre, that accompanied the episode and was on screen for about a 1/2 second at its conclusion....

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #389

This may sound silly, but I had to stifle tears when we wrote the last scene of tonight's episode. The same thing happened when we rehearsed it. And then again when it was performed in front of a studio audience. And yet again when we watched the final version in an editing bay. I don't know what it is, but there's something primal, something deeply human being expressed when these characters unconsciously hold hands while watching their friend embark on a monumental journey. Speaking of which, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for watching The Big Bang Theory, for being part of our journey. I hope you've laughed a lot and stifled a little. I hope you're holding someone's hand. See you next year.

Funny that it took something as big as blasting off into space to make sheldon finally have genuine respect for howard. I loved the ending scene. it was very well done, especially amy's expression when he took her hand.

That was such a good season finale and it was definatly worth the wait!!As I am a shamy shipper I loved the last scene where sheldon held amys hand.I don't know what its was:his face expression when he took her hand,amys face when she felt sheldon holding her hand or the fact that he actually held her hand!!!

I think I watched that scence 100 times and I still melted inside everytime.

I'm now curious to see what happens to the shamy next season.

Do you think that season 6 episode 1 will be a continuation of that last scene or will it just start somewhere else because I really want to see what happens after that sheldon held her hand

That was such a good season finale and it was definatly worth the wait!!As I am a shamy shipper I loved the last scene where sheldon held amys hand.I don't know what its was:his face expression when he took her hand,amys face when she felt sheldon holding her hand or the fact that he actually held her hand!!!

That scene was just love. I can't get enough of re-watching and observing the nuances.

Do you think that season 6 episode 1 will be a continuation of that last scene or will it just start somewhere else because I really want to see what happens after that sheldon held her hand

It would be delightful if they just took off from that moment! But I doubt it, since they would probably need to let some time elapse so that it's almost time for Howard to be back when the season starts.

That scene was just love. I can't get enough of re-watching and observing the nuances.

It would be delightful if they just took off from that moment! But I doubt it, since they would probably need to let some time elapse so that it's almost time for Howard to be back when the season starts.

Yeh but I just wanna see what happened after that hand. Holding stuff

I am curious about that myself. I wonder if they will pick up where they left off. I don't recall how long Howard's space mission is supposed to last.

I also believe that the Sheldon hand holding was a classic moment. After all, he is human, isn't he?

I am curious about that myself. I wonder if they will pick up where they left off. I don't recall how long Howard's space mission is supposed to last.

I also believe that the Sheldon hand holding was a classic moment. After all, he is human, isn't he?

He's supposed to be up there3for 3 weeks. Plus whatever debriefing/rehab (for muscle atrophy) time he'll have. I imagine the show will pick up with him just being back.

He's supposed to be up there3for 3 weeks. Plus whatever debriefing/rehab (for muscle atrophy) time he'll have. I imagine the show will pick up with him just being back.

I was really hoping to see some scenes of him being up in space, but I'm sure that might be very costly in using some sort of anti gravity simulator. Maybe something embarrassing happens up there and it gets recorded and put on You Tube for him to see when he gets back.

Bill Prady gave a spoiler that at the beginning of season 6, 'all the characters won't be in California'. I'm imagining this might mean that Howard will still be up in space.

Or according to tiny Spock "half Human" anyway

Bill Prady gave a spoiler that at the beginning of season 6, 'all the characters won't be in California'. I'm imagining this might mean that Howard will still be up in space.

Hmmm...

The wedding reception is not in California?

They go to meet Howard at NASA upon his return?

Both lead to Sheldon and Amy in a hotel room. Ugh...

Hmmm...

The wedding reception is not in California?

They go to meet Howard at NASA upon his return?

Both lead to Sheldon and Amy in a hotel room. Ugh...

Nope, it's in California.

Yup, they may go to get him.

Nope, not likely.

It's interesting to note that on 14th May the Russians launched a Soyuz rocket towards the International Space Station, containing a US-Russian crew of three astronauts. They are staying four months and return to earth mid september. What a consequence!

I hope they don't start the show with the gang picking up howard somewhere, because I want to see some space station scenes.

I cannot wait for the next season. Such a long time!!!! But where would they be if not California?

About this scene...I think it's my fav from the whole series :D

Now he is, before I wasn't so sure!

My gut feeling is they will be hanging out somewhere(Maybe Leonard and Sheldon's joint)and Howard surprises all by showing up. Like an early return or something.

his utterance of "Boldly Go Howard Wolowitz" before holding Amy's hand was a top ten TBBT moment of all time, and my favorite Sheldon line ever - BY FAR. Full of emotion, investment in his friend, admiration, excitement, and genuine pleasure and recognition of Howard's accomplishment as well as Sheldon realizing and enjoying the chance to share the moment with other friends.

I totally agree. That final line made the episode for me!

And this line just shows once again the true goodness of Sheldon's nature underneath his social retardation (yep, that's the word, LOL). He's a good guy with a noble heart, social cluelessness notwithstanding.

It's interesting to note that on 14th May the Russians launched a Soyuz rocket towards the International Space Station, containing a US-Russian crew of three astronauts. They are staying four months and return to earth mid september. What a consequence!

I think they try to keep up with real-life events on purpose. I'm sure they have a guy (or team) for that, just like how they've got their physicists making sure everything is correct.

I was really hoping to see some scenes of him being up in space, but I'm sure that might be very costly in using some sort of anti gravity simulator. Maybe something embarrassing happens up there and it gets recorded and put on You Tube for him to see when he gets back.

Ha, yeah. Either that or he's still scared as crap the entire time and has flashbacks in his sleep. Like PTSD from space travel...

Funny that it took something as big as blasting off into space to make sheldon finally have genuine respect for howard. I loved the ending scene. it was very well done, especially amy's expression when he took her hand.

There was also the episode where Howard starts seeing Penny's friend and stops hanging out with the gang. Sheldon suddenly can't function. Everyone else adapts, but Sheldon needs Howard in his life and he realizes it, even saying do much when he breaks down and calls him and Leonard asks who he is calling: "The only man who can restore any semblance of balance to our universe."