Season 6 predictions!!

Jim Parsons as Elwood P. Dowd was nothing like Sheldon Cooper. Elwood is affable and easy going. A friend to everyone.

Jim had a minor recurring role on the television show, "Judging Amy". This show was a serious dramatic program. I have never seen any of his appearances on Judging Amy but I doubt he played anything even faintly resembling Sheldon.

I think Jim Parsons may have a lot more acting range he's getting credit for.

He played an interesting character in The Big Year. His character was somewhat geeky, but in a completely different way than Sheldon.

I would love to see him in a leading role in a film.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he could be typecast as a "gay actor".

His caracters had been asexuals. I saw "The Big Year" and "10 Items or Less"... In both cases, the characters show a kind of asexuality that borders on the gay way.

His caracters had been asexuals. I saw "The Big Year" and "10 Items or Less"... In both cases, the characters show a kind of asexuality that borders on the gay way.

You might be right but judging by the number of ladies who would like to see Sheldon have sex, date Penny or whatever, I'm pretty sure there's a big chuck of the fanbase who would pay good money to see Jim in straight roles, particularly romantic ones. :icon_lol:

the number of ladies who would like to see Sheldon have sex' date=' date Penny or whatever[/quote'] "One of us... one of us"

I know that, Moonbase... Jim is like a care-bear...

You might be right but judging by the number of ladies who would like to see Sheldon have sex, date Penny or whatever, I'm pretty sure there's a big chuck of the fanbase who would pay good money to see Jim in straight roles, particularly romantic ones. :icon_lol:

It's an interesting point that Jim really hasn't played an actively straight romantic character so far (of what I know - he may have done such theater roles earlier). In Garden State, a heterosexual relationship was implied, but he still came across as so untouched. And his only gay role was in TNH, a serious play where romance was irrelevant.

I think that there's a kind of angelic innocence about him that suits rather naive, asexual characters very well. And it's exactly because of this innocence that so many of us long to see him 'discover romantic love' on-screen - it's the old story of being teased and tantalized by hard-to-touch, hard-to-get.

Hmm, Sheldon may quite possibly end up being Jim's first 'romantic' role!

Jim is like a care-bear? I completely agree. :D

It's an interesting point that Jim really hasn't played an actively straight romantic character so far (of what I know - he may have done such theater roles earlier). In Garden State, a heterosexual relationship was implied, but he still came across as so untouched. And his only gay role was in TNH, a serious play where romance was irrelevant.

I think that there's a kind of angelic innocence about him that suits rather naive, asexual characters very well. And it's exactly because of this innocence that so many of us long to see him 'discover romantic love' on-screen - it's the old story of being teased and tantalized by hard-to-touch, hard-to-get.

Hmm, Sheldon may quite possibly end up being Jim's first 'romantic' role!

Jim is like a care-bear? I completely agree. :D

Just saw Jim in his knightly armour in "Garden State" he was adorable. Spot on Pomita, it is his sweet innocence that's so appealing. I'll never see him other now than as a sweet parfit gentle knight :icon_biggrin:

Not sure I'd call him a care-bear :icon_lol: and i dont even know what a parfit knight is, but I do think Sheldon wouldn't be a likeable character with anyone else playing the role. Jim brings gentleness to him, and he could have been much more insufferable without it. I think he will always play the good guy but I hope he doesn't get typecast as asexual. I can see it happening too and it would be a shame. He has untapped sensuality in there somewhere. He could play gay roles I suppose but thats not as much scope for him as an actor.

... I do think Sheldon wouldn't be a likeable character with anyone else playing the role. Jim brings gentleness to him, and he could have been much more insufferable without it. I think he will always play the good guy but I hope he doesn't get typecast as asexual. I can see it happening too and it would be a shame. He has untapped sensuality in there somewhere. He could play gay roles I suppose but thats not as much scope for him as an actor.

100% Agree :icon_exclaim:

Sexuality was not a key element in 'Harvey', but there was some flirtatious banter between Elwood and the Psychiatrist's wife. Jim pulled that off quite believably.

I hope so...

I want him to choose good characters... I don't want to see him in stupid movies... I do not want him to be the next Mr. Bean ...:icon_exclaim:

I don't want to remember him in this video::icon_cry:

Sexuality was not a key element in 'Harvey', but there was some flirtatious banter between Elwood and the Psychiatrist's wife. Jim pulled that off quite believably.

I hope so...

I want him to choose good characters... I don't want to see him in stupid movies... I do not want him to be the next Mr. Bean ...:icon_exclaim:

I don't want to remember him in this video::icon_cry:

I wouldn't worry about that. I personally don't see him doing that many movies once the TBBT ends. Jim is a theater actor at heart. I believe he'll return to doing that after the shows done. Even TBBT episodes themselves are essentially mini-plays when you think about it, they're even filmed before a live audience much like how plays are performed in front of an audience.

Is that so? That's interesting. This aspect of it didn't come across in the reviews; he was mostly spoken of in terms of good comedic relief in the serious play, as well as having some deeply touching moments and doing well in them. Now I feel even worse about not being able to see it! (and hoping that the movie works out).

I hope so...

I wouldn't worry about that. I personally don't see him doing that many movies once the TBBT ends. Jim is a theater actor at heart. I believe he'll return to doing that after the shows done. Even TBBT episodes themselves are essentially mini-plays when you think about it, they're even filmed before a live audience much like how plays are performed in front of an audience.

I've always felt he's going to go back to his theater roots the first chance he gets (in roles over his summer breaks during TBBT, and perhaps permanently after that). So it's very unlikely that he would choose any second-grade movie or television roles.

Being typecast is still a real danger, after so many years of Sheldon. But as Moonbase says, there is an element of veiled sensuality in him which makes the idea of seeing him be romantic on-screen intriguing. We just might get to see a hint of that even with Sheldon ;) So let's hope he doesn't get restricted to playing the asexual eccentric.

Not sure I'd call him a care-bear :icon_lol: and i dont even know what a parfit knight is, but I do think Sheldon wouldn't be a likeable character with anyone else playing the role. Jim brings gentleness to him, and he could have been much more insufferable without it. I think he will always play the good guy but I hope he doesn't get typecast as asexual. I can see it happening too and it would be a shame. He has untapped sensuality in there somewhere. He could play gay roles I suppose but thats not as much scope for him as an actor.

I completely agree 99% (all except the care-bear part). I insist that he is one (I mean Jim, not Sheldon). :p

Jim said in an interview on one of the dvds that he loves playing to an audience so i think people are right in that he would probably do more plays

I love watching Jim doing interviews, he is always so gracious about everything and everyone

Such a charming man :)

I completely agree 99% (all except the care-bear part). I insist that he is one (I mean Jim, not Sheldon). :p

:icon_idea:

Because of that, I erased this part, when I quoted it :icon_mrgreen:

I love watching Jim doing interviews, he is always so gracious about everything and everyone

Isn't it? He makes my day, every time I watch him on-screen. So articulate and humble and witty, not to mention attractive. :)

Yes, I noticed. :D

Isn't it? He makes my day, every time I watch him on-screen. So articulate and humble and witty, not to mention attractive. :)

Yes, I noticed. :D

Very attractive and I cant say this enough but he has a great smile and you can see on the bloopers how his face lights up when he smiles :)

Very attractive and I cant say this enough but he has a great smile and you can see on the bloopers how his face lights up when he smiles :)

And with it, my heart. :shy:

"You light up my life

You give me hope

To carry on

You light up my days

and fill my nights with song "

PX00033_91.jpg

"You light up my life

You give me hope

To carry on

You light up my days

PX00033_91.jpg

Perfection :icon_mrgreen:

"You light up my life

You give me hope

To carry on

You light up my days

PX00033_91.jpg

Perfection :icon_mrgreen:

The picture goes so well with the sentiment :) Perfectly put!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has been discussed several pages back, but since I haven't visited this forum in a while I'd like to give my input on the issue of Leonard/Penny.

From my POV, they both have issues that have been boiling under the surface for quite some time. Regarding Penny, she takes Leonard for granted and it's my impression that she thinks that Leonard worships the ground she walks on so much that he will put up with anything and would never hurt her. (Did she not laugh at the idea when Bernadette brought it up? I really think she thinks he's incapable of hurting her, that she has all the control in the relationship. And right now, I think she's right. That needs to change.)

There are two examples that I thought made this pretty clear. One was the disturbing thing Penny said to Leonard in that episode when her father came to visit, was that S4?? Something along the lines of "I whistle, you come running."

I realize that was said for comedy but I think there's a big element of truth to that being Penny's actual view of Leonard, that he's so in love with her that she can always count on him being there if she feels like getting back with him,like a loyal dog.

Another instance of this type of behavior was Howard's bachelor party, when Penny was not jealous about the possibility of strippers, which is fine and good, but then she laughed at the idea of Leonard ever doing anything inappropriate or out there. It's like she has firmly placed Leonard into that "safe, dependable, boring" slot.

And Leonard is just as guilty because he puts himself in this position. It's not that I think he should play games with Penny or that I think Penny deserves come-uppance or whatever, but I wish he would stand up for himself. I've always found this very unnattractive about Leonard. It's like he thinks Penny is too good for him. Even when they went out on that not a date thing, at the end Leonard threw all his faux confidence out the window..."I'll be whatever you want me to be." I feel like he feeds Penny's view of him.

IDK, I think Penny needs to stop taking Leonard for granted, and Leonard needs to say/do something about this instead of ignoring it and just going with the flow. I hope the writers address this instead of just avoiding it. I hope the hints in S5, like during the bachelor party, are going to lead to something in S6.

I'm not really an LP shipper, I'm neutral on the whole subject, but I realize that somehow they will end up together and I don't want it to happen in a lame way that glosses over their issues. I want to feel like they've earned it, and I don't feel that yet. Not at all. As much as I hate the will they/won't they crap, I don't want Penny to all of a sudden have a change of heart for no reason, nor Leonard to go on as he is. I need it to feel organic.

So in S6 I'm predicting (and hoping) that something will happen that will make both realize something needs to change. I'm not ruling out another break-up, or at the least an almost break up. I could see them breaking up at some point in the season, but then Penny confessing her love for Leonard in the finale. That said I really hope the finale isn't made all about L/P, nor the season in general. I really like the way they handled the L/P relationship in S5, with not too much in your face focus, I was pleasantly surprised because I felt like their relationship took over S3.

And there's no way IMO that Penny would be ready to get engaged by the end of the season. I have a hard time imagining that the writers could realistically pull that off given L/Ps issues. I don't see that happening until S7..maybe.

I'm looking forward to the Shamy developments, I hope we see some Sheldon initiated affection, more than hand holding though. That moment in the S5 finale was amazing, but I feel like it's time to keep slowly progressing beyond that.

It's also always been my personal opinion that Leonard would end up winning some huge physics award (not a nobel prize but somethng significant), and that Sheldon would have to come to terms with that. I think that would be a great storyline in terms of character development for Sheldon and perhaps give Leonard some much needed confidence, perhaps for a time becoming overconfident? I think it could lead down some very interesting roads and open up a lot of possibilities. Anyways, that's always been my feeling, after how many times we've seen Leonard's work disparaged on the show, it seems like a perfect opportunity to have Leonard accomplish something big.

I agree with the others who don't want kids on the show. I wouldn't mind if someone got pregnant in the very last season if it HAD to be done, but I don't want babies around.

ETA: One more thing. I don't think Penny was in the wrong when she refused to say "ILY" to Leonard in S3. If she had said it when she didn't mean it, that would have been much worse than being honest and saying she wasn't ready and wasn't at that point. I personally don't think she did anything wrong there.

Nor do I think she was wrong in getting upset about Leonard proposing during sex just after they talked about still taking their relationship slowly. The fact that it was done during sex is a huge turnoff (and frankly I was amazed Leonard actually expected an answer as nothing called out during sex can be taken as a gospel, and IMO a proposal during sex isn't a real proposal), I wouldn't have said yes to that either, and right after they JUST talked about not moving too fast. And to be fair, she did not break up with him so she's made progress.

I have major issues with Penny's attitude of superiority regarding Leonard, and believing he will always be around and treating him like a safety net, but I don't think she was in the wrong in these particular situations. It's just this attitude about Leonard in general that she seems to have, and Leonard's general "lay down and take it" stance that bug me.

ETA: One more thing. I don't think Penny was in the wrong when she refused to say "ILY" to Leonard in S3. If she had said it when she didn't mean it, that would have been much worse than being honest and saying she wasn't ready and wasn't at that point. I personally don't think she did anything wrong there.

Nor do I think she was wrong in getting upset about Leonard proposing during sex just after they talked about still taking their relationship slowly. The fact that it was done during sex is a huge turnoff (and frankly I was amazed Leonard actually expected an answer as nothing called out during sex can be taken as a gospel, and IMO a proposal during sex isn't a real proposal), I wouldn't have said yes to that either, and right after they JUST talked about not moving too fast. And to be fair, she did not break up with him so she's made progress.

You are right....but the things she does after those situations does'nt make her character likable...

In S3- she breaks-up with him because she did'nt want to hurt him in the long run--Good Penny

But when he hooks him with Dr.Plimpton..she gets furious because he had the guts to move on before her and the ending scene she acts as if he betrayed her(even after the way she dumped him....in a public place...in front of all his friends..the worst possible way)... heck she went to Disneyland the episode after they break where as Leonard according to Sheldon spent the entire time crying

And the things she did in S3 finale are on of the worst things she has ever done on the show...

See I had no problem with her going out with zack or sleeping with leonard because she found zack stupid...but shoving him away when he comes to her the next night made her character mean , selfish and extremely unlikable..

I know the show intended that scene to be funny but clearly it did not turn out funny...

In the opening scenes of that episode leonard clearly tried to make her feel better about zack..when he goes to invite her to the roof..he sees her with zack...he says "sorry i did'nt know you were busy,may be another time"

and on the roof-- he tried to defend zack

and after that night they spend together he thought they were back together...

But she tells him that it was a mistake , he gets upset and he drinks (we have never seen leonard drink on his own in the entire show) and goes to penny's place to have sex..

Why he did that , because he was very badly hurt by her actions...Penny should have known all this...but still she shoved him away....I am not saying she should have had sex with him...just some kind of care would have been nice...or atleast some kind of remorse from her part would have been nice after closing the door(like the one in season 2 finale)..because ultimately she was reason behind his behaviour--- Bad Penny

In S5-- she tells every one that it was not a real proposal...then contradicts herself by giving the statements that when someone is in love...how you do it and where you do it , does not matter as long as they are in love

You are right....but the things she does after those situations does'nt make her character likable...

In S3- she breaks-up with him because she did'nt want to hurt him in the long run--Good Penny

but when he hooks him with Dr.Plimpton..she gets furious because he had the guts to move on before her and the ending scene she acts as if he betrayed her(even after the way she dumped him....in a public place...in front of all his friends..the worst possible way)

and the things she did in S3 finale are on of the worst things she has ever done on the show...

See I had no problem with her going out with zack or sleeping with leonard because she found zack stupid...but shoving him away when he comes to her the next night made her character mean , selfish and extremely unlikable..

I know the show intended that scene to be funny but clearly it did not turn out funny...

In the opening scenes of that episode leonard clearly tried to make her feel better about zack..when he goes to invite her to the roof..he sees her with zack...he says "sorry i did'nt know you were busy,may be another time"

and on the roof-- he tried to defend zack

and after that night he thought they were back together...

so he drinks (we have never seen leonard drink on his own in the entire show) and goes to penny's place to have sex..

Why he did that , because he was very badly hurt by her actions...Penny should have known all this...but still she shoved him away....I am not saying she should have had sex with him...just some kind of care would have been nice...or atleast some kind of remorse from her part would have been nice after closing the door(like the one in season 2 finale)..because ultimately she was reason behind his behaviour--- Bad Penny

In S5-- she tells every one that it was not a real proposal...then contradicts herself by giving the statements that when someone is in love...how you do it and where you do it , does not matter as long as they are in love

Yeah, Penny's general attitude towards Leonard is annoying, I agree. I was just talking about those two isolated actions, the "ILY" and the "proposal". But I agree that Penny has done a lot of questionable things and that she seems to only fight for/want Leonard when she can't have him or when he's unavailable. There's a definite pattern.

That's why it's frustrating for me to watch, and it's frustrating for me to watch Leonard be a doormat. It may seem harsh to say that, but that's how I see him so far. I say they are both at fault because he has shown what is, IMO, a lack of self-respect and self-esteem.

That's why I say there is no way they are getting engaged this season. I personally think they'll break up again before they ever get engaged. But this time I think Leonard will initiate it. The only way I could see them getting out of another break-up is if something big happens that changes Penny's attitude. But it's not just Penny that needs to grow, it's Leonard as well. Just in a different way. And if Penny's attitude changes for whatever reason, that wouldn't help Leonard's side of things. I still say a break-up is on the horizon, however temporary. I think Leonard will get tired of waiting for Penny to feel the way he does, even if she deep down really does feel the same way but refuses to acknowledge that.

That could be what leads to Penny finally saying "ILY" to Leonard, because she realizes she's going to lose him forever. That's just a direction I really could see the writers going in to address Penny and Leonard's issues, and not just one side of the relationship.

I have a hard time understand how a woman would break up with a guy and then still hang out all the time at his apartment and continue to let him pay for her meals and use his wifi for free. It seems to me that if you break up with someone you stay away from them as much as possible, especially when they start dating someone else. I don't have a big problem with her breaking up with Leonard, just her continued hanging around him. Last season she got upset again when Leonard told her that he loved her. That being the case she should have immediately broken up with him and cut all ties of a personal nature with him. As it is now it appears that she really doesn't want him but she doesn't want anyone else to have him either. More like hanging on to him until someone better (in her mind) comes along. Some of her dismissive statements about Leonard appears to show that she has little respect for him.

My prediction for season 6 is that Penny will say or do something that will cause Leonard to lose his patience with her and at about the same time an attractive educated woman will express an interest in Leonard. Once again Penny will become jealous but for the first time she will actually worry about Leonard dumping her for someone else.