Season 6 predictions!!

As it is now it appears that she really doesn't want him but she doesn't want anyone else to have him either. More like hanging on to him until someone better (in her mind) comes along. Some of her dismissive statements about Leonard appears to show that she has little respect for him.

Maybe, but I wonder if some of her behavior isn't a defensive mechanism because she knows Leonard is so much smarter and more accomplished than she is, and it makes her insecure. The one thing Penny has going for her is her beauty; in reality she's just another failing actress who waits tables.

My prediction for season 6 is that Penny will say or do something that will cause Leonard to lose his patience with her and at about the same time an attractive educated woman will express an interest in Leonard. Once again Penny will become jealous but for the first time she will actually worry about Leonard dumping her for someone else.

I can see something along these lines happening as a catalyst to force Penny to simply own up to the fact that she does love him (which she already knows, but it terrifies her). Something is going to have to happen to make her accept that she does want him despite the fact that he's not the kind of guy she ever saw herself ending up with, and that furthermore she is going to have to TELL LEONARD before he does get fed up and calls it quits.

I hope it happens this season, because I feel that they have been moving toward Leonard and Penny together since the very beginning. If

that is their intention, they have to stop with the on-again off-again and just commit, else the relationship becomes ridiculous and both Leonard and Penny lose sympathy with the audience.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDK, I could actually see several starts/stops happening in the Leonard/Penny relationship. Aren't they often compared to Ross/Rachel? And look at that relationship. L/P have only broken up the one time before. Since they are the couple that started the show I doubt they are going to keep them together for the rest of the show, since they are the central couple people are supposed to root for to get together. There's, at the very least, two more seasons including this one. It's pretty unheard of to keep a couple together for that long of a period without breaking them up, unless they are married like Howard/Bernadette. And I'm sure the writers will give even Howard/Bernadette their issues and bumps to work through as newlyweds. But I don't see them having two solidly together, committed couples for the duration of the show. JMO. Leonard and Penny will obviously eventually work it all out, but it's a matter of when that I think is the question.

I think the approach that the writers take to L/P depends on how many seasons there are going to be.

IDK, I could actually see several starts/stops happening in the Leonard/Penny relationship. Aren't they often compared to Ross/Rachel? And look at that relationship.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. :D I rooted for Ross and Rachel for several years, but the constant near misses, breaking off, getting back together got really old after a while and by the time they got to the end of the series I had no interest in them anymore. (I realize this is my personal opinion but I've seen it echoed by others enough times to know it's not unique.) IMO this constant on-again off-again ruined the relationship and by the time Friends was over I was far more invested in Monica and Chandler - who got married and still had interesting and compelling storylines.

But you are probably right and I just realized why: if Penny and Leonard get together - get married, that is - Leonard and Sheldon would no longer be roommates and the show would have to be totally overhauled. :p (Of course, Sheldon could take on Raj as his roommate, or any number of other scenarios - he and Amy move in together, perhaps - but I don't see all that happening until the end.)

IDK, I could actually see several starts/stops happening in the Leonard/Penny relationship. Aren't they often compared to Ross/Rachel? And look at that relationship.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. :D I rooted for Ross and Rachel for several years, but the constant near misses, breaking off, getting back together got really old after a while and by the time they got to the end of the series I had no interest in them anymore. (I realize this is my personal opinion but I've seen it echoed by others enough times to know it's not unique.) IMO this constant on-again off-again ruined the relationship and by the time Friends was over I was far more invested in Monica and Chandler - who got married and still had interesting and compelling storylines.

But you are probably right and I just realized why: if Penny and Leonard get together - get married, that is - Leonard and Sheldon would no longer be roommates and the show would have to be totally overhauled. :p (Of course, Sheldon could take on Raj as his roommate, or any number of other scenarios - he and Amy move in together, perhaps - but I don't see all that happening until the end.)

It's amusing because I hear the constant comparison to Ross/Rachel as well and most the friends fans that I've spoken came to absolutely loath and despise that pairing. All the ups and downs of those two of the coarse of the shows history make it all the more unrealistic of them ending up together.

The problem with the on again/off again paradigm is that it wears your audience out so by the end when you do finally resolve the situation the audience either hates the idea or simply doesn't care anymore.

That IMO is the danger of going that route with Leonard and Penny. I can see the same thing happening. To me it's simply lazy writers who don't really want to put in the effort to write these two as an interesting and engaging couple. They do the on/off thing because it's easier to to do than to actually sit down and figure interesting storylines for these two together that doesn't revolve around arbitrary conflict.

I think Leonard has gotten better about sticking up for himself and in general having more confidence but I would agree that he still needs to improve. Penny on the other-hand really needs to get her crap together. At this point in time she needs much more maturing than Leonard does. She needs to be shaken from her false belief that Leonard is going to wait around forever for her to commit to him as he has to her.

Hopefully this happens this upcoming season.

I disregard the constant Ross/Rachel statements out of hand. If a couple breaks up and then later get back together the "Ross and Rachel" accusations are trotted out.

Leonard has been gaining self confidence over the seasons. I think there will come a time when Penny will either make a comment to him about how he would never break up with her or something similar, or treat him like she doesn't believe it would ever happen, and Leonard will let her know that know that even he has a limit as to how far he far he will be taken for granted. Let me say that I do not believe that when Penny makes those statements it is because she has total confidence in Leonard's love and loyalty, I think it is more along the line that she believes that Leonard couldn't do any better then her.

I disregard the constant Ross/Rachel statements out of hand. If a couple breaks up and then later get back together the "Ross and Rachel" accusations are trotted out.

Leonard has been gaining self confidence over the seasons. I think there will come a time when Penny will either make a comment to him about how he would never break up with her or something similar, or treat him like she doesn't believe it would ever happen, and Leonard will let her know that know that even he has a limit as to how far he far he will be taken for granted. Let me say that I do not believe that when Penny makes those statements it is because she has total confidence in Leonard's love and loyalty, I think it is more along the line that she believes that Leonard couldn't do any better then her.

I don't think that she really thinks that he couldn't do any better than her. I think that Priya's presence was kind of an eye-opener.

I think that her drunken confession to Raj, that she should have never broken up with Leonard, is the truth. She knows that he's a great guy and that he's actually better and maybe better for her than all the other guys she's gone out with.

I think that she's just so used to the casual kind of relationships she's always had that it is kind of frightening and strange to her to be with someone with whom she could actually spend the rest of her life.

All the other guys she's dated might have been good-looking, good-times kind of guys, but like her dad pointed out, not "keepers", and having dated Leonard she now recognizes the difference.

It might be hard for her to imagine her life with just one guy, after being kind of a party girl for such a long time.

I think she knows that Leonard, as a nice, smart, thoughtful guy and that he could probably find a nice girl who would love to be with him. She just has to decide that she could be that girl and that she'd be happy in that position.

where do you think Howard & Bernadette will live? with Howard's mother?

or will they finally move in together?

it would be funny for the first few episodes to have them living with Mrs. Wolowitz.

the newly wed couple living with the overprotective mother-in-law, lol.

It's also always been my personal opinion that Leonard would end up winning some huge physics award (not a Nobel prize but something significant), and that Sheldon would have to come to terms with that. I think that would be a great storyline in terms of character development for Sheldon and perhaps give Leonard some much needed confidence, perhaps for a time becoming overconfident? I think it could lead down some very interesting roads and open up a lot of possibilities. Anyways, that's always been my feeling, after how many times we've seen Leonard's work disparaged on the show, it seems like a perfect opportunity to have Leonard accomplish something big.

I have been convinced that we are going to see a very successfull Leonard happen, maybe this season. They have been setting this up since the first season with Sheldon and Leonard's mother putting down his scientific efforts. Leonard getting a prestigious award and maybe royalty money for improving the efficiency of Lasers would cause consternation from Sheldon and change the balance of power, finally, with Penny.

The ego boost alone could change him from doormat to dominant, something that would be nice to see.

The ego boost alone could change him from doormat to dominant, something that would be nice to see

While I can't call this a prediction I can Hope amshafe is correct on Leonard getting some kind of Award. I have posted several times Leonard needs a to Grow a Pair.

Second thought on amshafe suggestion for Leonard's award/awards. I would love to see Leonard Beat Out Sheldon for some award just short of a Noble. Even if he made the long list for a Noble. This works Two ways in the fact it not only gives Leonard a set of nuts, But it puts Sheldon in his place. I sure I am not the only one with a Love/Hate of Sheldon. Why would anyone put up with Sheldon in real life?

Second thought on amshafe suggestion for Leonard's award/awards. I would love to see Leonard Beat Out Sheldon for some award just short of a Noble. Even if he made the long list for a Noble. This works Two ways in the fact it not only gives Leonard a set of nuts, But it puts Sheldon in his place. I sure I am not the only one with a Love/Hate of Sheldon. Why would anyone put up with Sheldon in real life?

Yeah the problem with this is that Sheldon is a theoretical physicyst and Leonard is an experimental physicyst. They don't do the same job and would never be in competition with each other except perhaps for the Nobel Prize in physics which doesn't differentiate what arm of physics you are in. Still, I like your idea of Leonard sticking it to Sheldon in some way.

Edited by wayelrob

The thing about the idea of Leonard earning something close to a Nobel Prize ahead of Sheldon is simply to have the manchild put in his place. It's more of a payback on Leonard's part for all the condescension he earned from his roommate. Yes, they are not in the same job or even tackling the same exact fields but it would be good to shove some humility into him.

I dunno.

The thing about the idea of Leonard earning something close to a Nobel Prize ahead of Sheldon is simply to have the manchild put in his place. It's more of a payback on Leonard's part for all the condescension he earned from his roommate. Yes, they are not in the same job or even tackling the same exact fields but it would be good to shove some humility into him.

I dunno.

One of the main reasons I miss Lesli Winkle was the way she could put Sheldon down. In Fact if this wasn't a TV show, Why would anyone put up with Sheldon's BS in real life???? I love seeing Sheldon put down when he is arrogant.

I am not suggesting Leonard Beats Sheldon out of an award like in the Physics Bowl. I saying He gets A Prestigious award that makes him a very well known in the scientific community compared to Sheldon. This then opens the Humor of Sheldon trying to compete.

As I type this I realize it is more of a Dream or Wish on my part. It is not going to happen because Sheldon's arrogance is part of the writers Game plan.

Edited by Fruit Loop

I love seeing Sheldon put down, but I really can't stand Leslie Winkle.

I think I can see a LP break up somehwere but I don't want one because I hated Leonard last time they broke up

Yeah I don't want to see that again either, I think most fans would agree. Leslie was okay but I see no reason to bring her back. She made Sheldon tongue tied and it was funny but it would be repetitive if she came back and that started again. I would definitely like Sheldon to get a new nemesis though.

Edited by Moonbase

Due to Penny's friends guidance I believe that Penny matures this year to the point we see an I love you to Leonard. Since Bill Prady indicated she will be seriously thinking about their relationship "for a lot of the season" I think this will happen during the spring sweeps with her proposing to Leonard by season's end.

I dont think Leonard will propose again because he's scared of rejection he probably wont say ILY again until she does

Ageed. Leonard is pretty much frightened of touching that third rail. He will have to get a signal from Penny (and it will have to be explicit) to either say "I love you" or propose. This looks like this may be a problem for Penny (a small one) given how much her attitude toward Leonard is suppose to change this season. She may be ready for marrige but Leonard may be afraid to make the move again.

Edited by BangerMain

Exactly, that's why I indicated that due to Penny's friends guidance I believe that Penny matures this year to the point we see an I love you to Leonard. Since Bill Prady indicated she will be seriously thinking about their relationship "for a lot of the season" I think this will happen during the spring sweeps. Then that will give Leonard the confidence to propose to Penny once again. However this time he will think it through and propose in a very romantic way in a romantic setting.