The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stephanie

Rank the seasons.

How do you rank the seasons?

My rank would be (in descending order): 2 - 1 - 3 - 4 - 5

Season 2 is my favorite so far because I thought both the balance between the characters' screen time and the balance friendships/relationships were at their best that season. Season 1 is a close second, but I found certain things a little awkward at times (can't really lay my finger on it, tough). For season 3, there was too much Sheldon imo.

I thought both season 4 and 5 were pretty weak. There was only one standout episode for me, in season 4, so season 5 finishes last for me.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

1-2-4-5-3

Season 2, Season 3, Season 1, Season 4, Season 5

Season 5 was the worst, some of the episodes were so horrible and not funny..so yeah.

Season 1, Season 3, Season 2, going to the dentist, getting a hangnail removed, attending a funeral, Season 4, Season 5.

Season 5 was the worst. This is when they actively started mocking nerd culture rather than celebrating it.

2-3-1-4-5.

Worst season yet. But It seems to be the trait with sitcoms to mellow out midway through their existence, but come back with the last few seasons as good as what their first seasons were.

2-3-1-4-5

The life of a sitcom:

Season 1 is usually a feeling out process.

Seasons 2-3 the show hits it stride and is at it's creative peak.

After that the writers and actors get bored and start tinkering with success and the downhill slide begins. The ratings may stay great for several seasons simply by inertia, but the magic is gone.

The ratings may stay great for several seasons simply by inertia

Does that really happen? I would think they start falling off as soon as a majority of people realize that the quality of a show has declined. I never thought inertia could be so effective (and so beneficial to TV networks).

Does that really happen? I would think they start falling off as soon as a majority of people realize that the quality of a show has declined. I never thought inertia could be so effective (and so beneficial to TV networks).

New viewers continue to jump on the bandwagon for several years due to word of mouth. I didn't watch TBBT the first 1 1/2 years it was on but after I heard about it I became a fan and went back and watched the episodes I missed. People who have watched from the beginning see the decline from the peak but later arrivals don't, so the ratings go up. Most of them don't know how good the show WAS. There are more new arrivals than disgruntled fans leaving. Even though I feel it's declined significantly this year I'll continue to watch it because it's still better than most shows on.

New viewers continue to jump on the bandwagon for several years due to word of mouth. I didn't watch TBBT the first 1 1/2 years it was on but after I heard about it I became a fan and went back and watched the episodes I missed. People who have watched from the beginning see the decline from the peak but later arrivals don't, so the ratings go up. Most of them don't know how good the show WAS. There are more new arrivals than disgruntled fans leaving. Even though I feel it's declined significantly this year I'll continue to watch it because it's still better than most shows on.

I believe this is only possible if it's a change and not a decline. I agree with those here who say that the change in tone of the show probably caters to a different (and wider) audience base now. This has led to an actual rise in the ratings in this season. But this isn't inertia, it's a shift.

Again, labeling the 'new' fans dumb and mindless for liking the show more in its present form is an unnecessary assumption. The difference is between liking pure, smartly written comedy and liking comedy with a fair dose of character development. And it's still smartly written - in a different way.

I believe this is only possible if it's a change and not a decline. I agree with those here who say that the change in tone of the show probably caters to a different (and wider) audience base now. This has led to an actual rise in the ratings in this season. But this isn't inertia, it's a shift.

Again, labeling the 'new' fans dumb and mindless for liking the show more in its present form is an unnecessary assumption. The difference is between liking pure, smartly written comedy and liking comedy with a fair dose of character development. And it's still smartly written - in a different way.

Although others have, I've never called the new fans dumb and mindless. Maybe a little heavy on the estrogen, but not dumb and mindless. :icon_biggrin:

Although others have, I've never called the new fans dumb and mindless. Maybe a little heavy on the estrogen, but not dumb and mindless. :icon_biggrin:

Even the males among them? O-kay. :D

Even the males among them? O-kay. :D

Yes:icon_twisted:

I started watching about 6 months ago because my wife recommended the show. She said I would get a kick out of it because I am so much like Leonard and Sheldon. I watched a couple of shows and then went and purchased all four seasons and a season pass for season 5 from Amazon. So I've watched all five seasons straight through from the beginning without any significant gaps.

That said I'm a new fan but I got to watch it from the pilot straight through and I've gotten to watch the entire thing several times. I like the seasons in order with season 5 being the best and 1 the least.

The addition of new characters over the five seasons has increased the complexity and kept it from being the same old boring routine from week to week. I remember the original Star Trek from the 60's where it absolutely became formulaic after a couple of seasons.

The characters have shown growth true to the theme of the show which is the Big Bang Theory. They've all developed relationships commensurate with their characters. Had the show retained the same venue from season 1 or even 2 or 3 I would have quickly lost interest.

I've never watched an entire episode of Friends since I found it boring from the first scene and Mike and Molly got boring after two or three shows to give some examples. I put a DVD of TBBT on when there is nothing else on to watch and that is nearly every day.

I've found some episodes hilarious and others merely amusing but the progression from the pilot through to the Countdown Reflection has been increasing in quality and comedic value.

My point is I've been around for 58 years and I've never found another TV show that I was willing to purchase 5 seasons and watch them more than once except Firefly. But, Firefly only lasted one season, a great tragedy.

3 > 2 > 1 > 4 > 5

I still love the show, but it does feel like it's kind of lost its way. Still plenty of time to find it again, though!

And this is my first post on these forums. Greetings, fellow posters. :icon_mrgreen: