Spaceship to the moon?

Moonbase

An mystery engineer (could it be Howard?:icon_cheesygrin: ) claims a real life version of the Starship Enterprise could be built within 20 years. He believes the technology is there to create a spacecraft with artificial gravity and ion-powered engines, that would take 6 days to travel to the moon and back.

Would any of you be game to take the trip?

www.buildtheenterprise.org

An mystery engineer (could it be Howard?:icon_cheesygrin: ) claims a real life version of the Starship Enterprise could be built within 20 years. He believes the technology is there to create a spacecraft with artificial gravity and ion-powered engines, that would take 6 days to travel to the moon and back.

I would... but anti-gravity in 20 years? I doubt we'll have that in 200 years.

Not according to the engineer, he says the tech is all there. All you need is a rotating wheel to create artificial gravity. Unfortunately the website is too busy (it was in this mornings paper) but he has all the specs for the design on his site.

Not according to the engineer, he says the tech is all there. All you need is a rotating wheel to create artificial gravity. Unfortunately the website is too busy (it was in this mornings paper) but he has all the specs for the design on his site.

I don't recall the Enterprise having a big rotating wheel on it. The rotating wheel design is nothing new, it was in 2001 A Space Odyssee. But when I think of artificial gravity, I think of it somehow making the Enterprise act as if it is on Earth, a constant "downward" acceleration uniformly spread through the ship.

First reaction: Yes!

Tomorrow: Hell yes, I'd go!

A week from now: Maybe not. I could die. Maybe when I'm old.

Two weeks from now: Regret.

Cue back and forth internal conflict forever.

I wish I could honestly say I'd be game for it no matter what, because when I was little that was dream job (astronaut). The only reason I'm not an 'astronaut' now is because I told my first grade teacher I wanted to be one and she told me only "special and gifted" kids could be astronauts. I cried about it. I could totally be one, though.

Whenever this question comes up, I always kind of joke with people that if I never make it to the moon in my lifetime, which is probably what's going to happen, I would like my ashes to be in a jar up there and a note inside saying why it's there. Or something. I don't know if I'm entirely serious or not myself, though...

I was going to check but the website has been taken down!!! :( Vanished! It was only online for three days.

I don't know if anyone followed the link but it was amazing. So detailed, blueprints and everything. All that's left are a few news reports. Maybe some rich eccentric brought the plans.

http://www.universetoday.com/95099/engineer-thinks-we-could-build-a-real-starship-enterprise-in-20-years/

It's back!!! it was just a traffic problem. :)

I was going to check but the website has been taken down!!! :( Vanished! It was only online for three days.

I don't know if anyone followed the link but it was amazing. So detailed, blueprints and everything. All that's left are a few news reports. Maybe some rich eccentric brought the plans.

http://www.universetoday.com/95099/engineer-thinks-we-could-build-a-real-starship-enterprise-in-20-years/

So the wheel is the actual saucer part of the ship, and spins inside. Which means, there'd be no artificial gravity anywhere else in the ship, except on the very outside of that ring. Not quite what the Enterprise had, in fact, not at all like the Enterprise. And at that point, making it look like the Enterprise is just a waste of resources and time as it would actually hinder it's efficiency and performance.

I really don't care if it goes anywhere or not, just let me live there. If I had the kind of money (and an understanding wife) I'd build a replica of the saucer and live in it. Complete with control center, cabins, elevator and all. That's a dream to have! Plunk it down on Earth then you don't have to worry about artificial gravity, you've got the real thing.

I really don't care if it goes anywhere or not, just let me live there. If I had the kind of money (and an understanding wife) I'd build a replica of the saucer and live in it. Complete with control center, cabins, elevator and all. That's a dream to have! Plunk it down on Earth then you don't have to worry about artificial gravity, you've got the real thing.

Thats such a great idea. No risk of death or huge fuel bills. And all the scary cats (myself included) would be able to pop round to watch TBBT in the enterprise.

Oh yeah, kick back in the captain's seats in the Next Generation bridge where Picard, Riker and Troy sit and watch TBBT on the big screen! Complete with uniforms and a cute ensign to serve drinks and snacks.

• 2 months later...

Time to bring this thread back. It seems to be up to date.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...