The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HeWolf

Penny!

After watching five seasons of TBBT, and probably spending too much time reading threads on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that Penny must be Teflon coated. Nothing seems to stick to her. She says and does things that should cause people to question her on many levels. Yet, for some reason, it all runs off like water from a duck’s back.

Much is made of Sheldon’s behavior, eccentricities, and social dysfunction. Arguments go back and forth debating whether or not he knows the things he says are mean and insulting. Is he narcissistic, or simply too caught up in his own world? Is his criticism of Leonard’s work, Howard’s education and a myriad of other things simply a result of blunt honesty? Or, is there something less innocent involved? The debate will continue...

Penny, on the other hand, has no excuses for her behaviors. She has demonstrated ambivalence towards paying her bills. She knowingly buys things that she cannot afford. She stole from a charity collection box when she was supposed to be making a donation. She has assaulted Sheldon, Howard and Todd Zarnecki. She is frequently rude to the guys. She slams doors in people’s faces. She steals wi-fi from Sheldon and Leonard. She mooches food on a regular basis. And it has been pointed out that she is an expert at using her looks to get by in life.

Her personal life borders on tragic. It seems that her normal ‘meeting to sex’ timetable is best measured in hours. Not days, weeks or months. Minutes after meeting Dave Underhill she was headed down the highway on his motorcycle. An activity which we later learn was the prelude to tequila induced sexual antics. She terminated the relationship when he tried to take naked pictures of her with his phone; while still having naked pictures of his wife on the same phone. She at least had an issue with sleeping with a married man, though not a problem with letting a man she just met take naked pictures of her. She had a long term relationship with a man that we know to be a bully. Being an ex-bully herself, this apparently did not bother her. By her own admission, she has a repeated history of drunken, thirty-six hour sexual encounters and is well acquainted with the ‘walk of shame’; coming home in last night’s clothing with her panties wadded up in her purse. She restarted her relationship with Zack, not because she wanted to be with him, but so she wouldn’t have to spend New Year’s Eve alone. Something she told Leonard, without bothering to tell Zack. The only relationship she has entered into with a decent, nice and caring man, she terminated because he (gasp!) told her that he loved her. Furthermore, she did so in a humiliating fashion in a public place in front of his friends. In the current manifestation of their relationship she frequently acts as if she is tolerating and doing Leonard a favor by dating him. Additionally, she borders on alcoholism and frequently drinks to excess.

In all fairness, she does have redeeming qualities. She has been almost motherly to Sheldon on many occasions. The friendship she has shown Amy is inspirational; almost to the point of being out of character for Penny. She certainly has a fun side and has shown a protective side in defending the guys.

To those that question her interest in Leonard and insist that Penny can do better I would respond and say it is Leonard that can do better. To those that live for the idea of a Penny / Sheldon relationship, I would ask; why would you want to do that to Sheldon? Howard, like Leonard, lusted for Penny. Thankfully, he found a better woman.

I agree with everything you wrote... especially the part where Penny takes Leonard for granted. One of these days, he will wake up and realize that SHE is the lucky one in this relationship, not him.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Agree, and that behavior from Penny is what has made me not to want her with any of the guys. Not before she grows up. She said it herself: she hurt Leonard, she hurt Raj. She didn't say it, but she also hurt Howard. And she didn't hurt Sheldon not because she didn't do hurtful things to him, but because Sheldon doesn't care. If he did care, he would be hurt too. The only one who has not been hurt by her so far is Amy. Amy is her only redeeming relationship on the show, but it is all because of Amy. Amy is the one doing all the work on their friendship.

I really hope the writers work on Penny next season. She has gotten to a point where I don't really care about her on the show anymore. I don't want her to go, but I don't enjoy her when she's on screen unless she is with Amy.

And her treatment of Leonard is the worst. I actually feel sorry for him for being with her. The guy loves her and she gets offended by it? She takes him for granted way too much. I'm starting to think he was better off with Priya, at least she cared. Penny only cared when he was with Priya.

Completely agree with you here.

I don't think Penny is a slut, but if you go really deep into her character she really is. We learn in the 1std episode of season 4 that she started dating at the age of 14, and according to Sheldon's calculations she has dated over 170 men and had sex with 31 of them..that number falls within the definition of "slut" in the world we live in.

Lets look at some of her old boyfriends - Zack, Kurt, Mike..all of them are tall and muscular but stupid, I think it's fair to say she dated them for sex and not to start a serious and long lasting relationship, she is afraid of commitment, why wouldn't she date Leonard ? Because he is too smart? Not tall and muscular like her old boyfriends? What's the reason? I remember how she used Leonard for sex in the season finale of season 3 and walked out on him the next morning saying it was a mistake.

Now, let's talk about Leonard, what does he have in common with Penny? Nothing. Some of my friends don't like this show now because of how they are dragging on Leonard and Penny's relationship. Leonard needs to grow a pair and stop being so desperate and try to find someone he can start a serious relationship with.

Agree. I would love to see some character development with her in season 6. She needs to work on her self esteem.

agree- penny takes leonard for granted.

would like to see leonard get hurt and end

up in the hospital, how would penny

act to the news? be by his bed!!

^ I quite like mjc45's idea.

Penny does get away with a lot and is rarely criticised. You could say she's still getting by on her looks, on this forum. In the beginning, she only went out with Leonard to see what it was like to date someone different. He was her experiment. She still thinks she can do better and this is the thing that needs to be addressed. Something needs to happen to make Penny come to the realisation that Leonard is someone to respect.

As for number of sexual partners…. I don't feel I can criticise.

Penny represents a typical "cool" and "popular" person from high school. I think this show could explore some of the issues they have once they get out into the real world with Penny.

listen while penny takes leonard for granted she takes amy. leonard takes sheldon for granted. sheldon takes everyione for granted. this forum is b.s. most people who can get that much will take that much, and she's not a fricken alchoholic

btw I have watched every episode more times than u so dont even bother

Wow..you are really mad at Penny! I think you should take her as a character. She's supposed to embody all the not so nice stuff in girls these days. That doesn't mean that she should be stoned. the point is to laugh :D

listen while penny takes leonard for granted she takes amy. leonard takes sheldon for granted. sheldon takes everyione for granted. this forum is b.s. most people who can get that much will take that much, and she's not a fricken alchoholic

You have your views. See things however you like.

To say that you've seen the show more times than someone else is something you cannot possibly know. Why would you try to make that argument?

Leonard takes Sheldon for granted because he is an a**. Leonard lives with him and tries but Sheldon makes it almost impossible. Sheldon takes everyone for granted because he thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and doesn't know better. These 2 are atleast justifyable on a fair ground.

As for Penny....I think we all know or knew(especially in HS)a girl or girls just like her. Really hot but a trainwreck on the inside. All the hot girls I knew loved the bad boys and then they would all ***** about it. Usually to the nicer guys. Penny could probably do better with her looks, but she's more likely to find the creep. As for Leonard...come on he's a nerd that wears glasses. Not many hot girls are into guys that wear glasses. As someone who grew up wearing glasses I can tell you it's a big negative against you.

Penny certainly is far from perfect just like any other person (fictional or real). I believe she really cares for these guys and gals: she’s always there when they need support and protection. I agree that she comes across as rude on occasions, but come on, they all do. No character is flawless, even Bernie has shown her dark side.

Penny has some understanding of the consequences of her actions this past season. She did tried to steal from a charity box but she admitted that it would have been wrong. She gave Sheldon and Leonard gifts thank-you gifts for the free food and Wifi. I don't know if there's more tough, too tired to think. Anyway, it’s not much, but it sure is a nice start, right?

I totally agree on what you said about her relationship with Leonard. Poor Leonard is always the one that tries to move their relationship forward, with little success. Penny should make a move now, it’s long overdue.

Penny is a deeply flawed person, but she also is a very kind person. Unlike our socially clueless nerds, Penny is portrayed as an emotional genious. When Penny acts kind towards people we can see that she doesn't "act kind" for the sake of propriety or expected social behavior - her inner kindness shines through.

Yes, sometimes Penny is inconsiderate and selfish and very stupid. She's also a very good person underneath who just needs to grow up.

Penny is a deeply flawed person, but she also is a very kind person. Unlike our socially clueless nerds, Penny is portrayed as an emotional genious. When Penny acts kind towards people we can see that she doesn't "act kind" for the sake of propriety or expected social behavior - her inner kindness shines through.

Yes, sometimes Penny is inconsiderate and selfish and very stupid. She's also a very good person underneath who just needs to grow up.

I think Leonard comes across as a kind guy. Wolowitz is kind but obnoxious to a fault. Raj isn't a jerk but he's not supportive either, hes just there...

After years of stealing wifi and mooching free meals, Penny gives Leonard and Sheldon presents. That makes everything okay. She steals from the goodwill box repeatedly but finally decides it's wrong so she is a good person. The first time she meets the guys she asks them to do her a favor and go to her violent boyfriend and retrieve her T.V. She dumps Leonard because he tells her that he loves her, moans and groans about what a mistake she made when he was with Priya, and then when he starts dating her again she makes comments about how there is no way in the world that he would ever leave her. Once again she goes nuts when he tells her that he still loves her. Penny has been drunk way too often on the show to say that she doesn't have a drinking problem.

Priya does need to return and tell Leonard that she loves him. Then see how Penny reacts. All of a sudden she will decide that she loves Leonard if she thinks that that someone else may want Leonard. If not Priya, something needs to occur that makes Penny think that she may lose him. If you want to see Penny really get upset, have an episode where Leonard apologizes to her for telling her that he loves her and that after thinking about it he realizes that he was just over romanticizing the moment and he really doesn't love her but just likes her allot, and will not tell her that he loves her again. IMO she would be much more upset with him from that then any time that he told her that he loved her or asked him to marry him.

Penny has gotten much better over the years but she has not been some kind of angel or goddess through out the show. She has many good qualities but she does have some very serious flaws.

After years of stealing wifi and mooching free meals, Penny gives Leonard and Sheldon presents. That makes everything okay. She steals from the goodwill box repeatedly but finally decides it's wrong so she is a good person. The first time she meets the guys she asks them to do her a favor and go to her violent boyfriend and retrieve her T.V. She dumps Leonard because he tells her that he loves her, moans and groans about what a mistake she made when he was with Priya, and then when he starts dating her again she makes comments about how there is no way in the world that he would ever leave her. Once again she goes nuts when he tells her that he still loves her. Penny has been drunk way too often on the show to say that she doesn't have a drinking problem.

Priya does need to return and tell Leonard that she loves him. Then see how Penny reacts. All of a sudden she will decide that she loves Leonard if she thinks that that someone else may want Leonard. If not Priya, something needs to occur that makes Penny think that she may lose him. If you want to see Penny really get upset, have an episode where Leonard apologizes to her for telling her that he loves her and that after thinking about it he realizes that he was just over romanticizing the moment and he really doesn't love her but just likes her allot, and will not tell her that he loves her again. IMO she would be much more upset with him from that then any time that he told her that he loved her or asked him to marry him.

Penny has gotten much better over the years but she has not been some kind of angel or goddess through out the show. She has many good qualities but she does have some very serious flaws.

Penny is a dime a dozen chick. Beautiful on the outside but an absolute mess on the inside. Guys take advantage of girls like that. But a lot of these girls are naive individuals in the first place. Penny causes a lot of her own problems more than they find her. One wonders how the hell she hasn't been pregnant yet. Now that you mention the drinking problem, maybe her and Raj would make a great couple. Booze and sex. They would get along well. Where as leonard wants serious conversation!

Penny is a dime a dozen chick. Beautiful on the outside but an absolute mess on the inside. Guys take advantage of girls like that. But a lot of these girls are naive individuals in the first place. Penny causes a lot of her own problems more than they find her. One wonders how the hell she hasn't been pregnant yet. Now that you mention the drinking problem, maybe her and Raj would make a great couple. Booze and sex. They would get along well. Where as leonard wants serious conversation!

You are completely correct about this but I think Penny realizes all of this about herself. She has called herself a "stupid loser" and a "toothless Oakie" relative to Leonard's world.

She is just mystified by why Leonard does not see this and terrified that one day he will.

Penny represents a typical "cool" and "popular" person from high school. I think this show could explore some of the issues they have once they get out into the real world with Penny.

They do to some extent... Penny is constantly struggling with money, where the guys seems to all be financially well-off. Sheldon has $1000's of uncashed checks. Leonard can "float" Penny by on a few things to the tune of $1400. Amy can just drop $3000 on a painting of her and Penny. They all have highly prestigious jobs in their field, and she is just a waitress. Which, I gotta say, after 5 years, is pretty sad. Penny is still coasting by with her looks and charm, but is starting to realize it won't last forever. She's finally realized she can't tolerate stupid people in life. And I get the idea if she could go back and do it again, she would have led her lfie much differently. But then again, Leonard might have as well. He might have paid less attention in school and tried to party more.

Penny drinks less than Raj

She has less sex (possibly) and treats the opposite sex better (definitely) than Howard

She is far, FAR less rude and selfish regarding others' feelings than Sheldon

She befriended Amy in a more meaningful way that the guys have with Stuart or their work colleagues

She has held the same job longer than several other characters have been able to, while still pursuing a dream profession simultaneously.

Is she really as bad as some of the earlier posts make her out to be?

STEALS wi-fi? It's not theft if you are given the password.

Mooches food? She makes minimum wage plus tips. Her friends make good money and INVITE her to eat with them and politely buy food for their friend .

She sleeps with one of them off and on at times, let another one of the guys feel her up, and let another see her naked one night. She's great!!!

;)

She has less sex (possibly) and treats the opposite sex better (definitely) than Howard

Now that he is married, he may get more than her. But she definitly got more than he has over the course of the show.

I don't call Sheldon rude and selfish, because he doesn't know any better. He honestly thinks his criticisms are beneficial to his friends, offering them advice.

She befriended Amy in a more meaningful way that the guys have with Stuart or their work colleagues

Penny put zero effort into being Amy's friend. Amy has done all the work. And at times, she has that Leonard-esque way of handling Amy, where she acts like she is doing Amy a huge favor by being her friend. Maybe in Amy's world she is. *shrugs*

She has held the same job longer than several other characters have been able to, while still pursuing a dream profession simultaneously.

They've all had the same jobs as when they started. Except for Bernadette, she advanced from waitress to Dr. at a pharmaceutical company.

Mooches food? She makes minimum wage plus tips. Her friends make good money and INVITE her to eat with them and politely buy food for their friend .

"They" don't invite her, Leonard does. And after they stopped dating, Penny still had the "Leonard pays for it all" mentality. She's paid for her food like twice now. Just cuz Leonard will always say yes and always gives her the wifi password doesn't mean she isn't taking advantage of them.

She sleeps with one of them off and on at times, let another one of the guys feel her up, and let another see her naked one night. She's great!!!

;)

In the end, Penny isn't evil, but she isn't good. A typical average person struggling in life. Nothing real special.

Good point. It looks like it will be Howards turn next.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Good point. It looks like it will be Howards turn next.

I'd ship that :D

They do to some extent... Penny is constantly struggling with money, where the guys seems to all be financially well-off. Sheldon has $1000's of uncashed checks. Leonard can "float" Penny by on a few things to the tune of $1400. Amy can just drop $3000 on a painting of her and Penny. They all have highly prestigious jobs in their field, and she is just a waitress. Which, I gotta say, after 5 years, is pretty sad. Penny is still coasting by with her looks and charm, but is starting to realize it won't last forever. She's finally realized she can't tolerate stupid people in life. And I get the idea if she could go back and do it again, she would have led her lfie much differently. But then again, Leonard might have as well. He might have paid less attention in school and tried to party more.

This is true and I loved the episode when Sheldon goes to court for the traffic ticket and he mentions why he has all those uncashed checks.

I know I wouldn't take what she says to heart bt I remember when that chick moved into the building she asked Penny how much physists made and she said she didn't think a lot.

If Howard had a good financial situation why was he still living at home??

;)

The only reason they let her eat with her(minus Sheldon)is because they think if they can make her feel guilty she might fool around with them. I mean Wolowitz took every opportunity possible to hit on her, lol