The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wulf3

This shows decline.

Am I the only one that thinks this shows premise keeps getting crippled, I mean every new episode pretty much breaks the show in my opinion. I miss the days of seasons 1-3, the show was funny incorporated science and had alot more comedy in it. It feels like I'm watching a completely different show. I was glued to my television with the earlier seasons, I used to know every episode word for word. That's how many times and me and my brother watched it. Now we watch it, but not with the same vigor like we used to. This show has lost its niche. And if it keeps going at this pace I'm afraid I won't really be watching it anymore.

Reason the show is getting worse every episode.

1.Lack of science

2.Too much concentration on the relationships.

3.Lack of depth Leonard's character is displaying.

4.The amount of screen time they give Amy... :icon_eek:

• Like 1

I agree that seasons 1-3 were better. But season 5 was better than season 4, so I disagree the show is in decline.

The problem is, as a viewer, I always crave something new. If season 6 fails to capture my interest, will it be because the season sucks, or because I'm fickle and get bored easily? :icon_lol:

• Like 1

@Bigbang

Only you can answer this one. You do seem ahem... excitable about one singular idea in particular. If theres no hint of this by the end of season 6, will you give up.... waiting?

@Wulf3

Yes the show has changed. It used to be a nerd show, now it's a show ABOUT nerds. There are dozens of entries on the forum about this subject. A lot of fans have given up watching. The new angle is popular with some fans and very unpopular with others. I still like the show but I will not deny it has lost some of its freshness and originally. But I also believe the subject of nerd culture had a limited life span. They had mentioned almost everything I could think of at least once, and I guess rather than going over similar ground they decided to grow their characters. It would be nice to imagine they could bring back the nerd side of things next season but it would be a challenge now. Still I have enough interest in the show to keep watching.

Personally I think previous poster *Matt* said it all. US shows have such long seasons and don't know when to quit. I was watching Red Dwarf season 4 last night and I admit I was laughing more than I have been over TBBT recently. The seasons are shorter and this really effects quality.

I don't see this show as declining at all...Yes, it's changed, but it has evolved and only gotten better in my opinion....Can't wait for Season 6 and more Sheldon & Amy, please! :)

I agree with the OP. The show has gone downhill in my opinion. I liked the science.

Some say that characters need to evolve to keep interesting and Moonbase above even said that "the subject of nerd culture had a limited life span". I think that these things are only true for someone who isn't a nerd / geek / science lover. I think that nerd culture and science have an almost infinite range of possibilities and new storylines - but this is because this is my life and these things will always be of interest to me.

My position is that "the subjects of relationships and character growth have a limited life span". This stuff has been rehashed on a million shows so what could possibly be new about those? The only way to keep this stuff interesting is to keep pushing it more and more to the extreme. That’s how we get Penny and Raj hooking up, Amy hitting on Penny, Leonard turning into more and more of a douche, and the destruction of the Sheldon character.

I doubt that the show will get back to it's roots. They have made the characters, in my opinion, so unlikeable now. They have lost their original innocence.

Moonbase, again, made a good point that the show is now ABOUT nerds. I would go even further and say that the humour is now often at the expense of nerds rather than being made within the nerd culture. It's as if they know that the show is now aimed at a non-nerd audience who laugh when nerds do silly things (train engine in mouth) or who think it is funny when nerds get bullied.

Yes the show has changed but in a good way.

I've always related to all the geeks (mostly Lenard and Rajesh) on some level. I'm a shy guy that has always been involved in really geeky stuff (501st, star wars.. I work in IT ..) My life was similar to theirs, doing geeky crap cuz screw everyone im going to do it.

Well now I have a great girlfriend like many of the guys on the show, and know what. Things change you stop doing 'halo night' and hang out with your girl instead. So I can relate and it shows the characters are evolving. They are still the geeks we love, but their lives are changing as most geeks do. Its a show that for the risk of looking corny, has given many of us hope.

• Like 2

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Why do people keep talking about relationships vs. nerd lifestyle. As if nerds didn't have relationships? Relationships are a part of life, even for nerds. I don't see how one excludes the other.

Nerds have relationships. Deal with it. We don't stay locked in the basement reading comic books forever you know? Part of what's going on right now on the show I've seen it happen in my life. A girlfriend throwing a fit at one of my friends for a FinalFantasy Marathon Weekend, the one who stops coming to MTG's Friday Night Magic because he is chasing a girl, the one who gets depressed because he is alone, the one in the group who gets married and has kids, the girlfriends that join the group, the new comers that are jealous of the old ones (all my friends are men and their girlfriends sometimes are jealous at me at first), the newcomers that end up being a part of the group, the breakups, the new relationships, the crushes, the fights. All of that happens to nerds too you know? and specially in close groups of friends who spend a lot of time together.

I just don't get it why is it so hard to reconcile those notions. Nerd culture is the enviroment and the setting but is not life, humans are social creatures. Even the "Sheldon's" are social creatures. There is no such thing as an isolated group unaffected by relationships, of all kinds. The show is about people, it is about Leonard, Penny, Sheldon, Howard, Raj and now Amy and Bernadette... is not about MTG, or videogames, or science or D&D. Is not even about physics. It never was. That is the setting and the enviroment for these characters, is the ambiance where they move, and is what they know, but it is not the plot of the show.

• Like 2

All television series evolve and grow, otherwise we would get bored and give up. I think that TBBT has grown in a sensible way, with the wedding of Leonard and Bernadette being a fitting ending for Series 5. If it has dissapointed you or you have lost your way with it, don't post anymore. Move onto something fresh and allow the remaining fans to have their fun.

I just don't get it why is it so hard to reconcile those notions. Nerd culture is the enviroment and the setting but is not life, humans are social creatures. Even the "Sheldon's" are social creatures. There is no such thing as an isolated group unaffected by relationships, of all kinds. The show is about people, it is about Leonard, Penny, Sheldon, Howard, Raj and now Amy and Bernadette... is not about MTG, or videogames, or science or D&D. Is not even about physics. It never was. That is the setting and the enviroment for these characters, is the ambiance where they move, and is what they know, but it is not the plot of the show.

This. Well said.

I have seen this happen in other shows/fandoms. People tire of the premise and decide the show is gone to pot, characters are different, etc etc etc. and pretty much hang on only to complain.

A group of fictional characters cannot stay static in a show, otherwise there is no story. While a show can be run into the ground way after there's anything to say (NBC's The Office comes to mind) I personally think this show is fresh enough for another couple of seasons, at least.

Why do people keep talking about relationships vs. nerd lifestyle. As if nerds didn't have relationships? Relationships are a part of life, even for nerds. I don't see how one excludes the other.

Nerds have relationships. Deal with it. We don't stay locked in the basement reading comic books forever you know? Part of what's going on right now on the show I've seen it happen in my life. A girlfriend throwing a fit at one of my friends for a FinalFantasy Marathon Weekend, the one who stops coming to MTG's Friday Night Magic because he is chasing a girl, the one who gets depressed because he is alone, the one in the group who gets married and has kids, the girlfriends that join the group, the new comers that are jealous of the old ones (all my friends are men and their girlfriends sometimes are jealous at me at first), the newcomers that end up being a part of the group, the breakups, the new relationships, the crushes, the fights. All of that happens to nerds too you know? and specially in close groups of friends who spend a lot of time together.

Have you considered that maybe we don't give a damn about realism in a show? We just want it to be funny. That's it. There's a reason Larry David will never reconcile with himself and reform his behavior, why George Costanza never smartened up and straighted out his life, why Charlie Kelly will always be an idiot, etc. Because these characters are funny the way they are, and there's no reason to change them because of that fact. Don't fix what isn't broken.

As I've said in another post, where did this rule come from that sitcom characters HAVE to evolve or the show is doomed to fail? It's Always Sunny is on its eight season and the characters are still the same, still in the exact same situation they were in in season 1. Seinfeld ended after 9 seasons with the characters still in the same situations they were in in the first season as well. Curb Your Enthusiasm is still mostly the same after 8 seasons. All of these shows were successful.

Now let's take a look at The Office. Major changes were done to that show's cast, and now the show is currently being run into the ground. When they announced a ninth season, fans were practically begging NBC to cancel it in its facebook announcement. If you're a longtime fan of that show like I am, you should understand. Do you see we're I'm coming from? If you have a show that works, why change it? BBT wasn't having any ratings crisis that presented a "do massive changes or cancel it" scenario that I know of.

I for one never watched the show for the science. I get other channels on satellite that I can watch that have lots of science on it. I watch the show for the comedy and the stories. I didn't particularly care for season 4 as compared to the first 3 seasons, but season 5 seemed to be getting back on track. As for the seasons being too long, the only real indicator of that is the ratings. How are the ratings for the show this season and did they make money on it? The answer to that is the ratings were very good and they made allot of money off of the show. I don't believe that the show is in decline and will be aired for several more years before the ratings start dropping to the point that it may be canceled.

Have you considered that maybe we don't give a damn about realism in a show? We just want it to be funny. That's it. There's a reason Larry David will never reconcile with himself and reform his behavior, why George Costanza never smartened up and straighted out his life, why Charlie Kelly will always be an idiot, etc. Because these characters are funny the way they are, and there's no reason to change them because of that fact. Don't fix what isn't broken.

As I've said in another post, where did this rule come from that sitcom characters HAVE to evolve or the show is doomed to fail? It's Always Sunny is on its eight season and the characters are still the same, still in the exact same situation they were in in season 1. Seinfeld ended after 9 seasons with the characters still in the same situations they were in in the first season as well. Curb Your Enthusiasm is still mostly the same after 8 seasons. All of these shows were successful.

Now let's take a look at The Office. Major changes were done to that show's cast, and now the show is currently being run into the ground. When they announced a ninth season, fans were practically begging NBC to cancel it in its facebook announcement. If you're a longtime fan of that show like I am, you should understand. Do you see we're I'm coming from? If you have a show that works, why change it? BBT wasn't having any ratings crisis that presented a "do massive changes or cancel it" scenario that I know of.

You mention Curb your Enthousiasm and Sunny as shows that are did good without evolving characters. Fine. I guess it works for those shows. Because that's what those shows are. When I watch Curb your enthusiasm I don't expect characther growth. I just laugh. But I don't invest in the characters. I don't really care about them. Because they are almost cartoons. Because, like you said, they are not realistic.

The Big Bang Theory is not that kind of show. Again, is not the premise of The Big Bang Theory to have static and never-changing characters. It never was. The whole premise of the show is two different worlds colliding and how they learn and interact with each other. You are expecting pears from an apple tree.

BBT wasn't having a ratings crisis, and yet they dared to introduce new characters, and guess what? it made TBBT the #1 scripted sitcom on TV. No other sitcom beats The Big Bang Theory in ratings. So, you argument of other shows didn't grow and did good is flawed. TBBT evolved and is #1

And sorry, but the american version of The Office is really bad. I loved the british one, the american I can't stand it, so sorry, i couldn't talk about that one.

• Like 1

Sursonica, suezelda, rickfromillinois - well said. I think I don't even need to say how much I agree with you.

The show is called 'Big Bang Theory' for a reason. As the title and tagline say, it's about the collision of the nerd world and the layman world, and the sparks, comedy and character growth that ensue. It never was and never will be about four nerds doing nothing but video games and science.

Regarding relationships - what Sursonica says. Let's face it, the nerd guys have been desperately trying to hit on women right from the first day of the show. For a long time, they (mostly) failed. But showing all of them only failing at it and never managing to get into steady relationships over 5 years would have been absurd, not to mention boring after a point.

There are people on this board, even those who say they don't want change, insisting that the mutism and frustration of Raj's character is getting old and pathetic. The reason for that is that his character is stagnating. Do you really think you would have liked to see all four guys stagnate in exactly the same way?

And where on earth did this theory of 'relationships can't be funny, only lonely single people can be funny' come from? The first time I'm hearing of it, honestly, is on this board.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why so many people equate character growth with shoving six of the seven characters into serious, often in-your-face relationships, especially with a character like Sheldon who had neither a want nor a need for a romantic relationship.

I understand the emotional attachment people build with characters, wanting Leonard to finally get with Penny, hoping Sheldon wins a Nobel prize, etc., but I don't understand extending that emotional attachment to project one's own expectations for life onto these characters. For example, Sheldon was perfectly content being single but, because some of the viewers think a romantic relationship is a pre-cursor for happiness and success in life, they expect the same for the character. The result is Sheldon acting OOC and losing much of what made him funny in the first place.

What I don't understand is why so many people equate character growth with shoving six of the seven characters into serious, often in-your-face relationships, especially with a character like Sheldon who had neither a want nor a need for a romantic relationship.

I understand the emotional attachment people build with characters, wanting Leonard to finally get with Penny, hoping Sheldon wins a Nobel prize, etc., but I don't understand extending that emotional attachment to project one's own expectations for life onto these characters. For example, Sheldon was perfectly content being single but, because some of the viewers think a romantic relationship is a pre-cursor for happiness and success in life, they expect the same for the character. The result is Sheldon acting OOC and losing much of what made him funny in the first place.

Well, I speak for myself here, that's the beauty of it for me. To see a character like Sheldon who never had, never wanted and never needed a romantic relationship getting into one without even noticing it's really funny. And in any case, he is in a relationship but it is hardly a "normal/romantic" relationship. And I don't think it will ever be, Amy is not exactly "normal" either. It is a relationship on their own terms, and I like it because it is refreshing because they get to be themselves. I love seeing them in their own version of a relationship, they are a "couple of weirdos" like Leonard called them.

He is still Sheldon. It took him more than 2 years to hold Amy's hand. It took him almost two years of hanging out with Amy pretty much all the time until he asked her to be his girlfriend (relationship agreement -counterfactuals included), and he is still pretty much in deep denial/not a clue about his feelings. That is Sheldon. I have noticed, is true he acts OOC sometimes, but not around Amy. Around Amy he is always the Sheldon we know. The most OOC episode this season was The Transporter Malfunction and she wasn't on that episode at all, and the other one was The Pulled Groin Extrapolation (up until the "She's not for you")... and he barely exchanged a line with her.

The show is still funny. Relationships are always in this show. The pilot is showing the first relationship they tried. Its was funny then, and its still funny now. They are growing up, but still having fun. They mention the lack of game nights, but reality is, once you are in a relationship, that stuff goes to the way side. They talked about the discussion, but if you look at Sheldon when he brings up conversations, the looks of not caring on the rest of the cast in the early seasons. Besides, the only person not to evolve is Raj, and he is starting to get stale.

You point out three shows, that were mostly the same for their runs. Which can be refuted by at least 20 shows off the top of my head which major character growth. The Fresh Price, Family Matters, Cosby Show, Home Improvement, Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Married With Children, Murphy Brown, Boy Meets World, The Jeffersons, Happy Days, Flintstones, et. I could keep going, but you get my point.

Best example: All in the Family. If Archy Bunker can evolve, the ANYONE on ANY show can evolve.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP, the show has become TOO MUCH about relationships. Every episode there is a relationship plot. Sure, nerds can get into relationships......with other nerds. The only couples on this show who are right for each other are Bernadette+Howard and Shamy. Don't get me started on Penny and Leonard, I'm sick of seeing them trying to get back together and failing and trying and failing, it never ends.

Back in seasons 1-4 this show was all about comic books, robots, pure science and video games, etc. It had SO MUCH me and some of my friends could relate to like for e.g video games, Sheldon's reaction to his WaW account getting hacked, I know a friend of mine who freaked out the same way when his Runescape account got hacked..so yeah, that was hilarious. There were so many things the NERDS (like most of us on forum) could relate to. Now the show is no longer celebrating the nerd culture, it's more like mocking it.

I read a post on the first page where someone said season 5 was better than season 4, really? Season 4 was tons better, except the season finale where they almost ruined the whole show with the Penny/Raj hookup.

Well, I speak for myself here, that's the beauty of it for me. To see a character like Sheldon who never had, never wanted and never needed a romantic relationship getting into one without even noticing it's really funny. And in any case, he is in a relationship but it is hardly a "normal/romantic" relationship. And I don't think it will ever be, Amy is not exactly "normal" either. It is a relationship on their own terms, and I like it because it is refreshing because they get to be themselves. I love seeing them in their own version of a relationship, they are a "couple of weirdos" like Leonard called them.

He is still Sheldon. It took him more than 2 years to hold Amy's hand. It took him almost two years of hanging out with Amy pretty much all the time until he asked her to be his girlfriend (relationship agreement -counterfactuals included), and he is still pretty much in deep denial/not a clue about his feelings. That is Sheldon. I have noticed, is true he acts OOC sometimes, but not around Amy. Around Amy he is always the Sheldon we know. The most OOC episode this season was The Transporter Malfunction and she wasn't on that episode at all, and the other one was The Pulled Groin Extrapolation (up until the "She's not for you")... and he barely exchanged a line with her.

Same here. Sheldon and Amy's relationship is and (I hope) will always remain one of the furthest possible things from a cookie-cutter relationship. It's one of the oddest and most unique male-female connections ever to grace the screen, and by virtue of both of them being uber-nerds, extremely true to the core premise of the show. Even the issues between them range from Sheldon giving preference to a Star Wars weekend to disputes over Physics vs Biology.

Also, it should be noted that the two of them have, for the most part of their time together, had a true 'relationship of the mind', and this is the defining feature of whatever is between them. And Sheldon has in the past shown himself to be quite open to and interested in such mental bonds with members of the opposite sex whom he admires intellectually (like Beverly and Elizabeth Plimpton). With Amy, this paradigm has just gone on long enough and deep enough for him to start feeling an emotional attachment.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP, the show has become TOO MUCH about relationships. Every episode there is a relationship plot. Sure, nerds can get into relationships......with other nerds. The only couples on this show who are right for each other are Bernadette+Howard and Shamy. Don't get me started on Penny and Leonard, I'm sick of seeing them trying to get back together and failing and trying and failing, it never ends.

Back in seasons 1-4 this show was all about comic books, robots, pure science and video games, etc. It had SO MUCH me and some of my friends could relate to like for e.g video games, Sheldon's reaction to his WaW account getting hacked, I know a friend of mine who freaked out the same way when his Runescape account got hacked..so yeah, that was hilarious. There were so many things the NERDS (like most of us on forum) could relate to. Now the show is no longer celebrating the nerd culture, it's more like mocking it.

I read a post on the first page where someone said season 5 was better than season 4, really? Season 4 was tons better, except the season finale where they almost ruined the whole show with the Penny/Raj hookup.

agree, agree, agree.

Sure it would be nice to have some relationship stuff in the show. But please, not all of this conflict. The show was originally about finding humour within "nerd culture", but now it's just like almost every other show out there.

Why do some people want to turn a unique show into something that is just "run of the mill ".

I think that for characters you love you should want to see them happy...be this in a relationship or not. I didn't actually notice too much for a while that the plots were more centred on the relationships, I was more concerned that the jokes for me weren't funny any more.

Although I think there was too much focus in s5 on Howard and Bernadette I really enjoyed the Shamy scenes. I think its funny that Amy who was so against such things when she was first introduced has really changed since becoming friends with the girls, and that Sheldon is clearly wanting to have this relationship but is conflicted by it.

The show really went downhill for me in s5, really due to the sudden change in Sheldon's mannerisms; but I thought the last two episodes were hilarious and sweet and really hope the show continues on that note in s6.

It really is just a matter of personal taste. I think it's great that so many people love the show and I enjoy visiting the forum and seeing positive things written by excited fans. But I also appreciate that some fans will always prefer things as they were. As a nerdy character myself, I feel no need to 'evolve' into someone more ordinary. It's not an affliction. Although I still enjoy the show most of the time, I feel a little sad that this seems to be how it is being portrayed. Something to be fixed.

• Like 1

This gets curioser and curioser. So for some of you, Shamy and Howard/Bernadette are fine, but Leonard/Penny is the real culprit? Are you forgetting that the much-touted 'first three seasons' were all about exactly these two developing feelings for each other, getting together, having a relationship, separating & c? So what gives?

Wow. This is what I just wrote elsewhere. Till yesterday, I think, it was '4/5 sucks'. Now everything till season 4 is great, and season 5 is what sucks.

I'll wait to see this paradigm shift further. :)

That was me. I don't know if you've heard of it, there's a thing called OPINION.

Maybe I'm just one of those mindless dumb morons because of whom season 5 had much higher average ratings than season 4.

It really is just a matter of personal taste. I think it's great that so many people love the show and I enjoy visiting the forum and seeing positive things written by excited fans. But I also appreciate that some fans will always prefer things as they were. As a nerdy character myself, I feel no need to 'evolve' into someone more ordinary. It's not an affliction. Although I still enjoy the show most of the time, I feel a little sad that this seems to be how it is being portrayed. Something to be fixed.

I highly doubt if Sheldon, Amy or their relationship is ever going to evolve into something 'ordinary'. He would sooner evolve into something with wings. :)

In general, I have never felt that the show takes an attitude of 'all their nerdiness is negative and needs to be done away with'. On the contrary, Priya's attempt to strong-arm Leonard out of his nerdiness was portrayed in a negative light, and was the main reason why most fans disliked her. Penny, on the other hand, is shown to be much more accepting of such tendencies and interests. Bernadette found a way to reconcile herself with Howard's dreams of space travel, and even ended up being the one motivating him to go when he himself hesitated. Amy, for the most part, admires and celebrates Sheldon's brilliance, his eidetic memory and his love of science, which is the core of who he is.

I think this is a clear indication of what the show wants to 'advocate', if anything.

• Like 1

@Bigbang

Only you can answer this one. You do seem ahem... excitable about one singular idea in particular. If theres no hint of this by the end of season 6, will you give up.... waiting?

Bah! That one "singular idea" is very far from ever being my main reason for falling in love with the show. It's more like an icing on the cake, an intriguing proposition which I wouldn't be opposed seeing on screen. :icon_cheesygrin: I'm not into 'shipping at all - to be perfectly frank, I find the idea of watching for one particular pairing kind of dumb. (Sorry, 'shippers. :icon_lol:)

I got into the show because I found it so much FUN. I liked the nerds (all of them), I liked Penny, I was laughing out loud every episode - it was very enjoyable! Now it's getting less so. Again, the question is, am I getting bored because the show is getting less entertaining with age, or is it because I am starting to crave something new?

I don't know. What I'm trying to say is, the viewer's disenchanment with the show may actually have LESS to do with the declining quality of the show, and MORE to do with the viewer simply losing interest in same 'ol, same 'ol.

An analogy would be ice cream. I LOVE ice cream. But once I eat it and satisfy my craving, I no longer want it. So if you put my favorite Ben & Jerry in front of me, and I go "meh", "nope", "it doesn't look too tasty", "maybe they changed the ingredients and it's not as nice as it used to be" - is it really ice cream that's no longer tasty?

TV shows do change with age, often to the worst. But I think it takes a rare sort of show to keep the veiwers interest for a long time in any case... 'Cause people are fickle and after awhile get bored. :icon_lol: