This shows decline.

Wulf3

The penny and raj thing was funny to me. People do stupid stuff when their drunk.

Reminds me of a saying:

People know what they want, and they deserve to get it good and hard.

The Raj/Penny situation wasn't like that for me at all - I didn't feel any major moral outrage about it

Must be a generational thing.:icon_cry:

@Disgusted: The 'hit the dog' analogy was spot on! Excellent post. There are several things the writers could do that would make me turn from TBBT. I won't elaborate for fear of tempting the fates.

The Raj / Penny thing didn't bother me that much. Considering what we know about them, there was nothing out of character for the two of them to get drunk and fall into bed with one another.

What did bother me was the way the show handled it. It didn't have to be cataclysmic, but a tight group like the four guys wouldn't have just let it go. There would have been tension between Leonard and Raj, and certainly many snarky comments from Howard and Sheldon.

Raj, and his handling, is a major unresolved issue on the show. Maybe season six will be his year. Maybe it's time to send him packing. Right now, he is too conflicted as a character and he really doesn't add much to the show.

I think some have you guys have been saying how there's too many relationship stories

Well, the name of the show is "The BIG BANG theory." Just sayin'

My apologies if this has been pointed out before - I'm a newbie.

It sounds like a bit of a no-win situation to me. Given this difficulty, I'd say TBBT is managing to walk the tightrope pretty well.

That it is... Poor writers! Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. :icon_lol:

So far the show is managing pretty well. Here's hoping next season will be brilliant! :icon_cheesygrin:

The Raj/Penny situation wasn't like that for me at all - I didn't feel any major moral outrage about it

Must be a generational thing.:icon_cry:

In my case, it's more likely to be a cultural thing.

I belong to a country and culture where most people would consider pre-marital sex of any kind to be a sin. Clearly it isn't like that in the US. And given all the things I see being depicted in American popular media (including this show), two friends making a mistake and jumping into bed drunk one night seems pretty tame. I would personally feel more shocked and repulsed by one of them doing it with a stranger in a bar, but they seem to keep doing that at times, so I figure it's normal behavior over there.

And I never understood the 'but she's his friend's ex' argument. Seeing that said friend had moved on to another steady relationship, and both parties were single at that point, I don't see how that's an issue.

But I apologize for going into this again, the thing's been talked about enough and more.

In my case, it's more likely to be a cultural thing.

I belong to a country and culture where most people would consider pre-marital sex of any kind to be a sin. Clearly it isn't like that in the US. And given all the things I see being depicted in American popular media (including this show), two friends making a mistake and jumping into bed drunk one night seems pretty tame. I would personally feel more shocked and repulsed by one of them doing it with a stranger in a bar, but they seem to keep doing that at times, so I figure it's normal behavior over there.

And I never understood the 'but she's his friend's ex' argument. Seeing that said friend had moved on to another steady relationship, and both parties were single at that point, I don't see how that's an issue.

But I apologize for going into this again, the thing's been talked about enough and more.

I agree with you, the friend's ex doesn't work for me when two people are drunk on a tv show... it's not like if they really hooked up that they would have been together and personally, in a real life situation, I look at dating your friend's sister as much more damaging. I'm a Leonard fan but if one of my best friends started dating my sister, I'd hate it simply because if he hurt my sister in any way, we could no longer be friends

I would just like to point out that it's not the charachters evolving, per se, that I mind. It's more due to the fact that so much ot the writer's effort seems to be focussed on the relationships now to detriment of ...jokes! I have rarely had laughs in the last 2 seasons.I kept watching in the hope the show would become funny again but, for my taste, it hasnt. If you're still laughing, well then , enjoy the show.

Other comedies like 3rd rock , the Simpsons didnt evolve characters and just concentrated on jokes right throughout their long runs (okay the Simpsons have run out of gags at this stage but they had a good run).

Red dwarf had slight some character evolution , but not at the expense of jokes.

Frasier and Only Fools and Horses basically kept the same characters and just changed their romantic circumstances (Niles & Daphne, Del boy & Racquel) but again, not at the expense of the jokes.

I said I didnt want to see Sheldon change because he was and is VERY funny as Sheldon 1.0. If I thought he would still be hilarious, I would keep watching but going by the example of how unfunny Howard has become, I doubt it very much. It will, IMHO, be focussed on the emotions rather than the jokes.

I found myself trudging through the last 2 series , so I think its time to let go.

It would be harder to leave this forum than to leave the show itself

This is actually a valid criticism. I also noticed there were fewer "laugh out loud" moments in later seasons.

Perhaps the writers should take heed and concentrate on keeping the jokes up to snuff - clever, funny, and fresh - so that this comedy remains very FUNNY above all. What good is character evolution if the viewers are bored?

@Disgusted: The 'hit the dog' analogy was spot on! Excellent post.

For me, the "hit the dog" moment was when the nerds messed with Sheldon's experiment, and Leonard didn't show any remorse. Nice guys don't screw their friends over like that. At least they show remorse.

I never could look at Leonard the same again.

I'm probably the only the person to say I thought s4 was the funniest but yeah, to me it's one of the funniest seasons. And I also do think parts of s5 were good especially as it headed towards the finale. But with that season when it was bad, it was not funny at all.

And I agree that the jokes really do impact the show in many ways.

But if the characters evolving are the cause of this maybe it's not an easy process for the writers to create jokes for them because it's not what their used to. The characters changing has to be done correctly especially for Sheldon. Right now, he's changing in a slow and smooth process which I think is the right way but he's not as funny.

I always found Howard pretty much as humorous as always was. And with Bernadette, she is funnier now than she was in the past. She appeared a little more ditsy and clueless when she was first introduced.

This is an interesting point.

Thinking about it - I did find season 4 funnier, in general, than season 5. I also found season 3 funnier than seasons 1 and 2. Funnier as in, more of LOL funny moments and situations. And yet, I loved season 5 on average more than 4, and 1/2 more than 3. Seasons 5 and 2 are closer to my heart because I feel that they had more interesting character dynamics (mostly, the Sheldon/Penny friendship developing in season 2 and the Sheldon/Amy relationship deepening in season 5); therefore, for me, they had more smile-quietly-and-feel-happy moments. And maybe that gives me greater pleasure than the more obviously funny ones (though I do thoroughly enjoy going back and watching the LOL episodes sometimes).

Again, I don't know if this feeling/preference is normal, as a sitcom viewer. I'm a novice.

Why don't we have a poll? Every episode of every season and everyone vote for their favourites and another where everyone votes for their most disliked episode. It would be very interesting to see if that give a clear winner of which season comes out on top. Personally I liked season 3 the best, it seemed to have more "LOL" moments.

I'd have to rewatch but to me, some things needed to change like Howard who imo wasn't likable at all during the first few seasons just a sleaze who lived with his mom. The jokes with him being a perv got old real fast

I am a little curious about this situation. Is this a common phenomenon with successful shows in the US - I mean ratings and accolades going up significantly during their run, till it reaches a position of great popularity, but some of the 'old fans' getting more and more dissatisfied and upset by the alleged changes in the show and and labeling it a sell-out? Or is this happening with TBBT only?

Asking since I'm completely inexperienced about how it goes for US sitcoms.

Shows becoming more successful after syndication is a common phenomenon. There have been shows that were cancelled and actually became big hits only in syndication. The original Star Trek was one such show.

I'd have to rewatch but to me, some things needed to change like Howard who imo wasn't likable at all during the first few seasons just a sleaze who lived with his mom. The jokes with him being a perv got old real fast

I've always liked Howard, but I like the new improved Howard better.

If you don't stop telling me about my culture, I'm going to hurt you, I swear to Cow.

if one of my best friends started dating my sister, I'd hate it simply because if he hurt my sister in any way, we could no longer be friends

If your sister turned out to be a slut who slept around on your friend, that might ruin the friendship as well. Except on TBBT. But hey, It's only a comedy.:icon_rolleyes:

If you don't stop telling me about my culture, I'm going to hurt you, I swear to Cow.

I thought it was 'I'll take you out'. :D

For me, the "hit the dog" moment was when the nerds messed with Sheldon's experiment, and Leonard didn't show any remorse. Nice guys don't screw their friends over like that. At least they show remorse.

I never could look at Leonard the same again.

I agree. Through the course of the shows run I've started to dislike Leonard more and more. He often comes of as a very selfish douche. Your point about when they came back from the north pole. It turns out it was Leonard's idea to sabotage Sheldon's experiment. Then when he was confronted about it he basically blew Sheldon off. All he cared about was 'gettin' it on' with Penny. As enticing as I'm sure most of us can see that being ... he didn't even show a bit of remorse for Sheldon. C'mon what about 'bros before ... you know' ?

He's done it before and after this point as well. In that episode where he broke some rules of the roommate agreement with Sheldon so Leonard said screw the roommate agreement and any of the 'privileges' that go with it... I'm sorry, but I was really dissapointed with the way that episode went. I did not like seeing Sheldon having the worse time of it, being lonely and sad. Leonard could care less. It wasn't until Penny basically told him what was happening that Leonard even considered doing something about it.

So the thing is... I'm starting to care less about the main characters. Now, I don't know, maybe that is okay because it's just a sit-com and we are supposed to laugh at the characters. Well, maybe so but if any of you are familiar with The Office or Parks and Recreation I would use them as examples of where they have created characters that you actually care about and root for. I care more about the relationship that was developed/did develop between Jim and Pam, Andy and Erin on The Office and April and Andy and others than I do about Leonard and Penny.

Through the course of the show and Leonard and Penny's behaviour it has caused me to root more against them than for them. Well, for Penny I would like to see her meet a "Zack" like character but smarter and NOT MARRIED (I know, David Underhill won't work). That would be a better fit for Penny.

Leonard would do better by having a smarter girlfriend... and a bit more reserved, like someone who may isn't ready to jump into bed after one night of drunkeness. That would keep Leonard sharper. I mean, it's pretty obvious Leonard does less significant work when he is having a regular physical relationship. Sheldon has noted it a few times.

Speaking of Sheldon. He was my absolute favorite character on the show... in fact, probably on ANY show! Just an awesome, unique character. That, which I do not feel he is anymore. Now is more childish, rarely shows that he is actually smarter than everyone else and is caught up in a relationship that keeps trekking more to the physical nature than one 'of the mind'.

Sounds maybe backwards but the only main character I actually want to root for now is Raj! Poor guy, only one without a steady relationship due to his selective mutism. My main reason for watching the show next season may be simply because I want to see if Raj finally overcomes his selective mutism and finds a girl that is right for him.

If your sister turned out to be a slut who slept around on your friend, that might ruin the friendship as well. Except on TBBT. But hey, It's only a comedy.:icon_rolleyes:

What is this referring to?

Priya

It's different. The friend can't be upset with you for what the sister does.. the bro code is still upheld lol

Priya

It's different. The friend can't be upset with you for what the sister does.. the bro code is still upheld lol

Also, Raj had actively discouraged the relationship. You can't hold something against a person that was done against his will in the first place.