The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wulf3

This shows decline.

Amy has evolved from being a Sheldon clone into a person that can conceivably succeed at being one half of a couple. Yet, she maintains enough of her basic self and remains recognizable when compared to the person we originally met.

If Sheldon could show this kind of growth I would almost accept the plausibility of a Shenny relationship. (not enough to want to see it, but I could almost imagine it) As he is, I still wonder if he can even succeed as half of Shamy.

^I think her bad reaction to the proposal was because she hadn't even said I love you to Leonard yet AND it was their first time having sex in awhile. Leonard proposed partly because of Howard and partly because he wants to. Yet, I would never ask a woman, in the middle of sex to marry me let alone a woman who has never said the love word to me.

Just my 2 cents

No, I quite agree that his proposal at that time was unwarranted. I just felt that Penny's reaction seemed a little too harsh. Given that she already knows he has feelings for her, and she was the one who rejected him earlier, a bit more gentleness and understanding on her part might have been in order.

Then again, just the fact that she didn't run for her life like last time, is an improvement for Penny!

^I think her bad reaction to the proposal was because she hadn't even said I love you to Leonard yet AND it was their first time having sex in awhile. Leonard proposed partly because of Howard and partly because he wants to. Yet, I would never ask a woman, in the middle of sex to marry me let alone a woman who has never said the love word to me.

Just my 2 cents

No, I quite agree that his proposal at that time was unwarranted. I just felt that Penny's reaction seemed a little too harsh. Given that she already knows he has feelings for her, and she was the one who rejected him earlier, a bit more gentleness and understanding on her part might have been in order.

Then again, just the fact that she didn't run for her life like last time, is an improvement for Penny!

yes-she intertwine her fingers with leonard,

even with the bickering that went on, she did not run away.

Amy has evolved from being a Sheldon clone into a person that can conceivably succeed at being one half of a couple. Yet, she maintains enough of her basic self and remains recognizable when compared to the person we originally met.

If Sheldon could show this kind of growth I would almost accept the plausibility of a Shenny relationship. (not enough to want to see it, but I could almost imagine it) As he is, I still wonder if he can even succeed as half of Shamy.

Very true!

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I just read this interview to Mayim & Melissa and one thing that Mayim said, reminded me of this thread.

“People don't want The Big Bang Theory to turn into Friends; they don't want it to turn into 90210 and it never will,â€..... “I think we have to be really careful that it doesn't become those kinds of permutations of relationships. Our writing and producing staff are doing a great job of giving people what they want, what they love and what they're comfortable with but also making everybody kind of go outside their comfort zone a little bit."

always reminding me that Mayim does read the comments on the Internet all the time.

I just read this interview to Mayim & Melissa and one thing that Mayim said, reminded me of this thread.

“People don't want The Big Bang Theory to turn into Friends; they don't want it to turn into 90210 and it never will,â€..... “I think we have to be really careful that it doesn't become those kinds of permutations of relationships. Our writing and producing staff are doing a great job of giving people what they want, what they love and what they're comfortable with but also making everybody kind of go outside their comfort zone a little bit."

always reminding me that Mayim does read the comments on the Internet all the time.

Mayim's pretty on it. Can't wait for season 6. :icon_cheesygrin: We're not even getting a decent summer here in the UK to take my mind off... :icon_rolleyes:

Hey, which interview is this? Please direct me. :) Mayim's comments are, as usual, spot on - she's a good analyzer of the show.

What I got from that article is "Oh, we have to be careful we don't hurt the boys feelings while we take over their show."

notes that Big Bang has to remain true to what the show is at its core: a sitcom about friends and the life they lead in comic book stores and their professional lives

Very next paragraph:

“People don't want The Big Bang Theory to turn into Friends... and it never will,†she says

Friends was a sitcom about friends and the life they lead in a coffee shop and their professional lives!!!!!!!!.

And she's supposed to be a genius.

Seriously, "As long as we have Kaley the guys will tune in" is about the most condescending thing I have ever heard.:icon_mad:

Hit Mayim with axe

Hit Mayim with axe

Hit Mayim with axe

• Like 1

What I got from that article is "Oh, we have to be careful we don't hurt the boys feelings while we take over their show."

notes that Big Bang has to remain true to what the show is at its core: a sitcom about friends and the life they lead in comic book stores and their professional lives

Very next paragraph:

“People don't want The Big Bang Theory to turn into Friends... and it never will,†she says

Friends was a sitcom about friends and the life they lead in a coffee shop and their professional lives!!!!!!!!.

Seriously, "As long as we have Kaley the guys will tune in" is about the most condescending thing I have ever heard.:icon_mad:

Hit Mayim with axe

Hit Mayim with axe

Hit Mayim with axe

In all fairness, the part you quoted first wasn't a Mayim direct quote, but the input of the writer of the article. She didn't contradict herself at all. The article's writer did.

and the Kaley thing, c'mon tell me is not true. I have read so many times the "I watch it because Kaley is hot" so many times. If I only had a dime for everytime I read that... I would have like $10 LOL

Full quote:

The actress, who grew up playing the titular character – a reformed nerd of sorts -- on NBC’s Blossom, notes that Big Bang has to remain true to what the show is at its core: a sitcom about friends and the life they lead in comic book stores and their professional lives.

Yeah, that nasty writer put words in the poor girls mouth.

FYI, there a lot of women more "watchable" than Kaley Cuoco, IMNSHO. :fi_lone_ranger:

Full quote:

The actress, who grew up playing the titular character – a reformed nerd of sorts -- on NBC’s Blossom, notes that Big Bang has to remain true to what the show is at its core: a sitcom about friends and the life they lead in comic book stores and their professional lives.

Yeah, that nasty writer put words in the poor girls mouth.

FYI, there a lot of women more "watchable" than Kaley Cuoco, IMNSHO. :fi_lone_ranger:

yes, I agree, Kaley is pretty but there are much hotter women, but there are also many Cbolts out there

yes, I agree, Kaley is pretty but there are much hotter women, but there are also many Cbolts out there

One hundred times from the same guy doesn't count! :icon_lol:

You still only have a dime.

and the Kaley thing, c'mon tell me is not true. I have read so many times the "I watch it because Kaley is hot" so many times. If I only had a dime for everytime I read that... I would have like $10 LOL

Bernie is hotter than Penny.

I'd still watch, with zero hesitation, if Kaley left.

She's a cute tan blonde in Hollywood... not exactly unique, not exactly unreplaceable.

Sursonica - thanks for the link! I seem to have missed this interview.

I'm afraid I've had some male colleagues - proper science nerds - tell me they watch the show for Penny. :icon_confused:

I'm afraid I've had some male colleagues - proper science nerds - tell me they watch the show for Penny. :icon_confused:

I'm not saying its not true, I'm saying its impolite to have pointed it out.:icon_cheesygrin:

I'm not saying its not true, I'm saying its impolite to have pointed it out.:icon_cheesygrin:

I appreciate ocassionaly impolite people, . So much Political Correctness bugs the hell out of me.

• Like 1

That's because you are being oversensitive :icon_mrgreen:

At least you should appreciate they are thinking in your feelings!

You don't like at all the inclusion of female nerds, do you?

Funny thing is, even in earlier seasons, I've never felt as if the show was so testosterone fueled, it has never resonated to me as a "macho" show, those four guys are so sensitive and feeble!

I mean, the girls can kick more asses than them: Penny is the seduction and brute force, Bernadette the apparently harmless expert in biological weapons and Amy is the evil mastermind behind the operations, they could rule the world together! :icon_lol:

And it's still not clear for me that the description of the show is an exact Mayim quote, the rest of the interview uses quotations marks to point out her direct words, why not that one?

I agree with Sursonica that it makes more sense that it was the writer's input, but I guess we'll never know for sure!

"Friends", and "Seinfield", and "Will&Grace" and how many more sitcoms out there have more or less the same premise? A group of friends who have something in common or gather around a determined place?

I think it's not about the premise or the main theme, but about the way it's handled and the peculiarities of the characters that populate each one of those shows. In this case, a group of friends that happen to be nerds, thing is, the show is primarly about those nerds' lives, not exactly about science or geeky stuff.

Seriously, I've been watching the whole first season again these past weeks, and, from my observation, the nerdiness and geekiness has always been the coating, not the main ingredient

I've watched a couple episodes of Community (Wich, by the way, is also a show about a group of friends and the life they lead in a community college ;)), and I think it responds much better to the expectations some people in this board seem to have about TBBT.

Good to know that, unlike her, you are not tempted to fall for condescension or impoliteness! :icon_wink:

• Like 1

That's because you are being oversensitive :icon_mrgreen:

Good to know that, unlike her, you are not tempted to fall for condescension or impoliteness! :icon_wink:

Hey, turnabout is fair play, as you are about to discover

Nope. [Gasps of feminine indignation]

Funny thing is, even in earlier seasons, I've never felt as if the show was so testosterone fueled, it has never resonated to me as a "macho" show, those four guys are so sensitive and feeble!

Three cheers for all the nerd/geek/dork/dweeb guys out there, they're sensitive and feeble!

I mean, the girls can kick more asses than them: Penny is the seduction and brute force, Bernadette the apparently harmless expert in biological weapons and Amy is the evil mastermind behind the operations, they could rule the world together! :icon_lol:

This show is not Charlie's Angels. :icon_rolleyes:

And it's still not clear for me that the description of the show is an exact Mayim quote, the rest of the interview uses quotations marks to point out her direct words, why not that one?

I'll give you that, I realize that english is not the first language of some posters. Context is a heartless bitch.

the show is primarly about those nerds' lives, not exactly about science or geeky stuff.
Seriously, I've been watching the whole first season again these past weeks, and, from my observation, the nerdiness and geekiness has always been the coating, not the main ingredient

This has been rehashed to death. Women just see everything through a "relationship" prism. Guys only do that when they think there is a chance of sex. Otherwise, we prefer to go play paintball. Or fight wobots.

I've watched a couple episodes of Community (Wich, by the way, is also a show about a group of friends and the life they lead in a community college ;)),

Thanks for making my point, these shows are are just clones of each other now.

Hey, turnabout is fair play, as you are about to discover

:question: Uh? I guess I am supposed to feel like "ouch!"?

Nope. [Gasps of feminine indignation]

*Gasps in feminine indignation* (not really! :icon_mrgreen:)

It was a rethorical question, actually :icon_wink:

Three cheers for all the nerd/geek/dork/dweeb guys out there, they're sensitive and feeble!

*Cheering three times* Well, yes, they are. That's precisely the point, I find it interesting that even when the show had never been about a bunch of macho attitudes and situations, and revolves about the lives of sensitive and feeble guys, yet, some male viewers still feel violated for the inclusion of women (other than hot girls), feeling the need to protest and wear this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5qZKxcYSf9qDHJkMCS1Lxri9lLsy2XxVIqDwZnbVXyfsDoelts_U4eyY

Not a real problem with that, just an observation.

This show is not Charlie's Angels. :icon_rolleyes:

Certainly not..... yet :icon_eek: [shudders of offended masculinity]

This has been rehashed to death. Women just see everything through a "relationship" prism. Guys only do that when they think there is a chance of sex. Otherwise, we prefer to go play paintball. Or fight wobots.

Let me see if I understand it well (I don't know if it's because of my problem with English or my apparent problem with getting the way male brain works) So you think this overly rehashed argument is all wrong? and that I can't see the truth about the show because I'm a woman and I see everything through "relationship lenses"?

Holy generalizations Batman!

(I find it double funny because I've just written a comment in another show's forum disagreeing with a bunch of gushy shippers -not all of them female :icon_wink: who only want to see romance in the storyline and I want to see suspense and action)

Never had crossed your mind that we (sensitive women) could be just a bit correct and could be having a better insight of the real purpose of the show precisely because of the capacity of our brains to get better the emotional meaning behind something?

I've watched a couple episodes of Community (Wich, by the way, is also a show about a group of friends and the life they lead in a community college ;)),

Thanks for making my point, these shows are are just clones of each other now.

Well, yeah, that was on of my points too, that there is a common origin or setting for nearly every sitcom. I was not trying to deny it in the first place, just to point out that the fact that you could come up with the same definition (as you mockingly did with that definition of TBBT contrasted with Friends and used as an excuse to doubt Mayim's intelligence) for two shows doesn't mean they are exactly the same. The magic is in the details.

Ok, there's too much "blah, blah, blah" here and not the slight chance of sex.

So nevermind me and go back to your paintball (and wobots) :icon_wink:

Go for it @sarah. :)

Let me see if I understand it well (I don't know if it's because of my problem with English or my apparent problem with getting the way male brain works) So you think this overly rehashed argument is all wrong? and that I can't see the truth about the show because I'm a woman and I see everything through "relationship lenses"?

(I find it double funny because I've just written a comment in another show's forum disagreeing with a bunch of gushy shippers -not all of them female :icon_wink: who only want to see romance in the storyline and I want to see suspense and action)

Never had crossed your mind that we (sensitive women) could be just a bit correct and could be having a better insight of the real purpose of the show precisely because of the capacity of our brains to get better the emotional meaning behind something?

It's worth noting that Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady, Jim, Johnny etc have been talking in depth about the social and human implications of the show right from the beginning. Obviously they see it through a 'relationship' prism too. So is it to be assumed that they don't know or understand their own show? The show makers never claimed they're only going to show the characters solving equations and playing video games and sometimes making failed attempts at one-night stands.

When last counted, I don't think the show makers are all women. This 'stereotype' baffles me, although probably it shouldn't, seeing that we have to deal with this attitude on a regular basis as women in a science stream. Yes, you guessed it, the 'NO MA'AM' attitude of the old guard.

We have gone over this before, Since you are new I will repeat it.

The real purpose of the show is to make money.

The show at the beginning was designed to appeal to a male demographic. It was laugh out loud funny.

In the middle of season three they brought in new writers and decided to emphasize the relationship aspects of the show, to appeal to the female demographic, and to make more money. This made the show less funny. (IMO)

They were successfull, ratings went through the roof.

Some portion of the male fan base dislikes these changes.[some females too. :cool:]

I think this is all self evident, but I think with my brain, not my "feelings".

So when an article comes out where the subtext is, in part, that they are worried they are turning off the male viewers, and one of the actors is spouting some gibberish

about the social and human implications of the show

that is so obviously trying to blow smoke up the ass of the "old guard" fans, I'm going to comment on it.

At least until my entire country, and by extension , me, is blocked from posting on the forum. :icon_lol:

Do you see what I did there?

• Like 1