Did the Raj/Penny "hookup" ruin it for Sheldon/Penny to get together?

Did the Raj/Penny "hookup" ruin it for Sheldon/Penny to get together?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Raj/Penny "hookup" ruin it for Sheldon/Penny to get together?

• Yes
    • No
    • Raj/Penny "hookup" has nothing to do with Sheldon/Penny

They didnt have Oral Sex, They didnt have Vaginal Sex, They didnt have Anal Sex.

It's CANON that they didnt have sex. You don't have to like what happened, I don't like what happened. But it's not Sex.

So, if you get a guy off with your hand, that's not a sexual experience? I know if I do it to myself in public, I go on the sex offender list. So, the law may disagree with you.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an adult was caught doing the same with a child, what would they be charged with? How about sexual abuse and if convicted they would be on all of the sex offender lists. If an adult offered to do that with another adult for money, could they be charged with prostitution? YES. To somehow say it is not sexual is ludicrous.

If an adult was caught doing the same with a child, what would they be charged with? How about sexual abuse and if convicted they would be on all of the sex offender lists. If an adult offered to do that with another adult for money, could they be charged with prostitution? YES. To somehow say it is not sexual is ludicrous.

Someone must be very handsy... =)

Season 5 over, and the 'technical' arguments about the season 4 finale still continue. Sigh..

While I understand the desire to just say 'water under the bridge, let's move on", this issue still impacts the show.

This issue has, for many people, done serious damage to both Raj and Penny's characters. You can't just ignore it. It is always there in the background as a part of the show. When either of them walks on stage, they bring with them all of their past history.

When I see Raj talking to Leonard I know things about him. Raj is Indian, he is from a wealthy family, he is in the states on a visa, he is an astrophysicist, etc. All of these background traits make up the character and are the basis for the interaction and humour that the character brings to the scene. As a result of the Raj / Penny hookup, whenever Raj is on screen we now also know a couple of other things about him. He is a dirt bag and not actually Leonard's friend. This impacts every scene.

The same is true for Penny. That incident (along with being a bully, a thief, etc.) also colours every scene she is now in.

I know, I know, there are also lots of positive characteristics for both Raj and Penny. I'm not saying that they or any of the other characters are all bad, but unfortunately the Raj / Penny hookup is something that is now a permanent part of the backstory of the show.

While some people don't have a problem with Penny and Raj having sex - or are in denial - the fact that this is a very disturbing part of the backstory for some other people is strongly indicated by the vehemence with which the issue is still discussed.

Tru dat.

While some people don't have a problem with Penny and Raj having sex - or are in denial - the fact that this is a very disturbing part of the backstory for some other people is strongly indicated by the vehemence with which the issue is still discussed.

Vehemence. Yup, that nails it. Can't we all just get along?:icon_rolleyes:

Getting back to the title of this thread...

The fact that they would consciously write in the Raj / Penny hookup knowing that it would be shocking and would impact the future of the characters makes me think that they don't have any limitations on what they would do.

They have lied to us before about their future intent, so the fact that they have said that Sheldon and Penny would never happen is irrelevant. They will do whatever they want to do and nothing, no matter how abhorrent to any one set of fans, is off the table.

What I find funny is that there are pages of discussion purely on the technical point of 'whether they had sex or not'.

Of course they didn't have sex (canon). And of course they had something closely enough approaching sex that for anyone who had a 'moral outrage' to their having sex, that feeling would still be valid. Isn't that the gist of it? I fail to see it in any other way.

Getting back to the title of this thread...

The fact that they would consciously write in the Raj / Penny hookup knowing that it would be shocking and would impact the future of the characters makes me think that they don't have any limitations on what they would do.

They have lied to us before about their future intent, so the fact that they have said that Sheldon and Penny would never happen is irrelevant. They will do whatever they want to do and nothing, no matter how abhorrent to any one set of fans, is off the table.

In the end, the show is a business. Although there are allot of people who think that it would be a good idea if Sheldon and Penny got together, IMO there are just as many if not many more, who would not only think that it was a bad idea but stop watching the show because of that. So discounting all of the times those involved with the show have not only said that it isn't going to happen but have said it in such a way that it is obvious that they think it is a terrible idea, they won't do it because of the very likely possibility of a loss of viewers. It is conceivable that Penny would get so drunk that she would attempt to have sex with Raj, although it is not very flattering to her character. Getting so drunk that you go to bed with someone that you normally wouldn't and not being able to remember it in the morning is not appealing for anyone IMO. Also IMO it is not conceivable for the Sheldon and Penny characters as played on the show to do the same, drunk or not.

Before the rash of negative responses and what a jerk Leonard is and Penny and him would never get together, and the "wonderful chemistry" Sheldon and Penny have, I did say IMO.

The writers never painted Penny as an angel, so it doesn't bother me as much as some others. I just see it as a mistake she almost left town over and the pinnacle of her binge drinking. But yeah it does mean we can never be 100% sure they won't try another daft hookup, although I hope they learnt something from the unpopularity of the S4 finale.

Why do people keep using the term canon when discussing the sex issue? Just saying canon, canon, canon, doesn't strengthen an argument.

There are obviously plenty of people here who consider the term sex to include more than just penetrative intercourse. Despite all of the dictionary definitions in the world, there is still something called colloquial usage - especially when the real issue with Raj and Penny was one of intent not action.

By focusing on the definition of the term "sex", the focus turns away from the real issue which is what they did - regardless of the terms used to describe it.

Either you are OK with Raj and Penny engaging in intimate sexual behaviour or you aren't.

That's the issue. Not whether you use the term intercourse or sexual interaction or sex, or hook up or fooling around.

IMO there are just as many if not many more, who would not only think that it was a bad idea but stop watching the show because of that.

I doubt that they would see that as a real reason not to do something. I would have said the same thing about Raj and Penny hooking up, but they did that and the ratings have gone up.

Also IMO it is not conceivable for the Sheldon and Penny characters as played on the show to do the same, drunk or not.

Again, the Raj / Penny hookup was out of character as well.

BTW, I actually agree with you. Sheldon and Penny hooking up would be out of character and would also be disturbing for many people. It's just that I consider the Raj / Penny hookup to be identical - out of character and disturbing - and they did that.

Why do people keep using the term canon when discussing the sex issue? Just saying canon, canon, canon, doesn't strengthen an argument.

There are obviously plenty of people here who consider the term sex to include more than just penetrative intercourse. Despite all of the dictionary definitions in the world, there is still something called colloquial usage - especially when the real issue with Raj and Penny was one of intent not action.

By focusing on the definition of the term "sex", the focus turns away from the real issue which is what they did - regardless of the terms used to describe it.

Either you are OK with Raj and Penny engaging in intimate sexual behaviour or you aren't.

If it was the usage of 'canon' in my post which you're objecting to, obviously you didn't read my post. It was basically a paraphrase of what you write here.

No they have not lied.

If it was the usage of 'canon' in my post which you're objecting to, obviously you didn't read my post. It was basically a paraphrase of what you write here.

Sorry. Yes I did read your post and I think we actually do agree on the important bits. To quote a rather intelligent sounding forum member "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with you on this". ;-)

It's just that I've seen the word canon used quite often when discussing this issue. I've never actually heard that word used in this context anywhere except in this forum and certain people (not you) use it in a way that seems to imply that they think it gives more weight to their argument. As if they are saying "this is true not because I think it is true, but because it is an empirical rule that is completely objective".

'Canon' is from Latin with Greek origins. It means 'measuring rod' or 'standard'.

It also carries a traditional application of 'established' or 'accepted'.

In my Theology training this word was used or referenced quite often. TBBT forum is the first place I have seen it used when discussing a TV show.

Live and learn!

"There are those who bash whoever doesn't like their ship of choice, those who bash whoever likes a certain ship, and those who do both"

Oh, the names I could name... :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

On one hand, lots of fans see Subtext, hints, and evidence where there really isn't;

So so true in this fandom.

"There are those who bash whoever doesn't like their ship of choice, those who bash whoever likes a certain ship, and those who do both"

Oh, the names I could name... :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

On one hand, lots of fans see Subtext, hints, and evidence where there really isn't;

So so true in this fandom.

A big problem with that is that they try to place these characters into our world, our reality. Our reality is static. Theirs is dynamic. Their lives and histories don't have to be a straight solid line, or even make sense. We've already heard Bernadette say her mom ran an illegal day care center, then later said her mom worked and Bernie had to take care of her brothers and sisters. This is a contradiction. Put it into our world, it doesn't make sense. Why would Bernie's mom work at an illegal daycare, in her own basement even, and not let her own kids go? But in the TV world, it doesn't have to make sense or be consistent, it just has to make us laugh.