Did the Raj/Penny "hookup" ruin it for Sheldon/Penny to get together?

Did the Raj/Penny "hookup" ruin it for Sheldon/Penny to get together?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Raj/Penny "hookup" ruin it for Sheldon/Penny to get together?

• Yes
    • No
    • Raj/Penny "hookup" has nothing to do with Sheldon/Penny

"There are those who bash whoever doesn't like their ship of choice, those who bash whoever likes a certain ship, and those who do both"

Oh, the names I could name... :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

On one hand, lots of fans see Subtext, hints, and evidence where there really isn't;

So so true in this fandom.

A big problem with that is that they try to place these characters into our world, our reality. Our reality is static. Theirs is dynamic. Their lives and histories don't have to be a straight solid line, or even make sense. We've already heard Bernadette say her mom ran an illegal day care center, then later said her mom worked and Bernie had to take care of her brothers and sisters. This is a contradiction. Put it into our world, it doesn't make sense. Why would Bernie's mom work at an illegal daycare, in her own basement even, and not let her own kids go? But in the TV world, it doesn't have to make sense or be consistent, it just has to make us laugh.

But they do get asked at Comic Con. :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand, lots of fans see Subtext, hints, and evidence where there really isn't;

...on the other, if there is some degree of subtext, other fans will adamantly refuse to see it and insult those who do.

That's YOU, honey. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

"There are those who bash whoever doesn't like their ship of choice, those who bash whoever likes a certain ship, and those who do both"

A big problem with that is that they try to place these characters into our world, our reality. Our reality is static. Theirs is dynamic. Their lives and histories don't have to be a straight solid line, or even make sense. We've already heard Bernadette say her mom ran an illegal day care center, then later said her mom worked and Bernie had to take care of her brothers and sisters. This is a contradiction. Put it into our world, it doesn't make sense. Why would Bernie's mom work at an illegal daycare, in her own basement even, and not let her own kids go? But in the TV world, it doesn't have to make sense or be consistent, it just has to make us laugh.

Prady was asked about this via twitter, he responded that Bernardette's mom worked outside home before getting the illegal daycare center.

I know, it just seems like a way to repair a previous slip, but at least he cared to came up with an answer :icon_mrgreen:

...on the other, if there is some degree of subtext, other fans will adamantly refuse to see it and insult those who do.

There is none in big bang theory though. Ask Chuck and Bill. The Word Of Gods!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod

If you found your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend doing it with one of your best friends, would it upset you? If your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend found you doing it with one of their best friends would they be upset with you? Try it, let them know, and see how they react. It may not be sexual intercourse but it was sex.

Depends who initiated it. I'd still hate her either way. But if the best friend initiated it, screw him. If she initiated it then I know she's not worth keeping around. Either way she's out of my life. The bestfriend would no longer be a bestfriend but if she initiated it i'd still be willing to be friends to some degree.

I see some here have WAY TOO MUCH TIME on their hands.

Not necessarily true. We had a big debate over Bernadette's comment 'metosexual my arse' a couple of months ago and the implication to Raj's orientation. But Kyzzx, who had been to the taping, said that line was changed at the last minute because the original one wasn't working and didn't get a good reaction. We on this forum are completely obsessive, I have no illusions about this. Most of our subtext probably isn't there at all. Still it's fun! :icon_cheesygrin:

But they do get asked at Comic Con. :)

Maybe at one time her mother ran a illegal day care center and then later worked. You are making the assumption that she did one or the other during the entirety of Bernadette's childhood.

Most of our subtext probably isn't there at all. Still it's fun! :icon_cheesygrin:

Most of us don't insult each other over our disagreements about the show. As you said, it's FUN to share opinions with fellow fans. For 'shippers though apparently it's not fun, it's a serious "war". :icon_cheesygrin:

What makes the 'shippers totally loony is their unrelenting feeble-minded nastiness in attacking those they perceive "an enemy". :icon_lol:

P.S. Can't we all just get along? :icon_lol: (I know, it's impossible. Fandom without 'shipping does not exist.)

Prady was asked about this via twitter, he responded that Bernardette's mom worked outside home before getting the illegal daycare center.

I know, it just seems like a way to repair a previous slip, but at least he cared to came up with an answer :icon_mrgreen:

That still didn't explain how Bernadette was good with children in one episode, and then hates them in another though. I think that is the bigger issue here.

That still didn't explain how Bernadette was good with children in one episode, and then hates them in another though. I think that is the bigger issue here.

Yeah, when she tells Sheldon to go to bed and talks about her past experience, she is all smiles and happy. Then when she is about to be Howard's magician's assistant, she's like a monster when she talks about the kids and how much she hates them.

No cake for you!!

But, to be fair, just because you're good with kids doesn't mean you have to like them.

Yeah, when she tells Sheldon to go to bed and talks about her past experience, she is all smiles and happy. Then when she is about to be Howard's magician's assistant, she's like a monster when she talks about the kids and how much she hates them.

No cake for you!!

But, to be fair, just because you're good with kids doesn't mean you have to like them.

Maybe she's especially good with grown-ups who behave like kids. :p

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

No cake for you!!

She married Howard "mr mommy issues" Wolowitz after all :D

No cake for you!!

'That’s pretty big talk for a man with a closet full of magic tricks at his mother’s house'. :D

No cake for you!!

'That’s pretty big talk for a man with a closet full of magic tricks at his mother’s house'. :D

Wanna come up and see the rest of my act?

No cake for you!!

Are you generally more successful than Howard was?

Are you generally more successful than Howard was?

Not in many years... =P