Just a thought...on religion

bazinga101

I am not religious, neither atheist or supportive of a particular religion. While looking at another thread today my boyfriend asked how a Christian could watch this show? ie. science vs. religion.

To me this should not matter but I am curious to see what others think.

I'm curious to know as well, because I thought about this once... specifically when Sheldon goes home to Texas and says he's going to stay there and teach evolution to creationists, and his mom starts to tense up about it.

I personally am an atheist, and am on board with everything said on the show, but it would not be the most popular show on television if it offended certain religious folks.

I really think it's the delivery of the material on the show. The show itself is not offensive and it flows pleasantly. From a nonreligious person's viewpoint, Sheldon's mom looks like a religious nut sometimes. I'm sure those feelings can go the other way, thinking the guys are not only quirky but nonreligious nuts. Who knows.

I think that those who like the show are aware that it basically makes fun of everyone (all religions, races, scientific fields, professions, nationalities) at different points, in a light-hearted way. From the popularity of the show, it would seem that there are enough people who can take it sportingly. Though I've seen vociferous cribs from the smaller section of people (again, of all categories) who are more sensitive to perceived 'insults'.

We send our kids to Parochial School (like Bernadette!) and I attended as well. I've never been offended by the show (or any sitcom for that matter).

Most people believed the world was flat at one point... Until proven otherwise. A man both smart and religious in that day probably said "we thought God created the earth flat. We were wrong, he created it round.

Evolution could work the same way... God created evolution too.

We send our kids to Parochial School (like Bernadette!) and I attended as well. I've never been offended by the show (or any sitcom for that matter).

Most people believed the world was flat at one point... Until proven otherwise. A man both smart and religious in that day probably said "we thought God created the earth flat. We were wrong, he created it round.

Evolution could work the same way... God created evolution too.

I'm actually a deist more than adhering to any established religion but I was born and raised a backslide Baptist and spent a term as a lay speaker in the United Methodist Church. I'm not a member of any church today.

I don't think the belief that the Earth was flat was religious in nature but I could be wrong. Unless you consider that most science at that time was religious in nature. Anyway, there is still a Flat Earth Society that professes to believe the Earth is flat.

According to most religions, God created everything so by extension would he have created evolution also? Personally, considering all the things happening in the world today in the name of religion I figure God is a pretty tolerant fellow. I try to be as tolerant as he is although I fall far short. At any rate I don't see anything particularly offensive in this show regarding any religion.

I don't think the belief that the Earth was flat was religious in nature but I could be wrong. Unless you consider that most science at that time was religious in nature. Anyway, there is still a Flat Earth Society that professes to believe the Earth is flat.

Well, from initial observation, it wouldn't make sense to say the world is round. Their assumption made sense from what they could see and the scale of the size of the Earth. As for the Flat Earth Society, their webpage is something else. I can't tell if they really believe that insane wild crap (huge ice wall around the Earth, 50% of the world is in on the secret, they will shoot you if you get too close to the edge, etc), or if the whole thing is just an exercise in skepticism.

According to most religions, God created everything so by extension would he have created evolution also? Personally, considering all the things happening in the world today in the name of religion I figure God is a pretty tolerant fellow. I try to be as tolerant as he is although I fall far short. At any rate I don't see anything particularly offensive in this show regarding any religion.

Yeah, he could most easily make evolution. But, that flies in the face of what people want to believe. *I* am not a random occurence, a roll of the the dice. *I* was specifically put here on this Earth by god. Some people aren't comfortable with the concept they just "happened". They want to think God made man, not that god made this big chaos generator and we just popped out of it. They need to think their existence is intentional. I've heard theories that say religious emotions are part of evolution, that without them, the thought of death and permanent non-existence would cause society to collapse.

As far as being offensive, the only thing I can think of is the way Howard and Raj are very lax in their religious followings. I could see how someone would rather they were just non-religious than half-assing it.

I am not religious, neither atheist or supportive of a particular religion. While looking at another thread today my boyfriend asked how a Christian could watch this show? ie. science vs. religion.

I'm not a religious fellow, eventhough I was baptized and my old man was Catholic and went through Catholic schooling growing up. My mother was a Presbyterian(sp?) but neither of them in my lifetime really practiced. We sometimes went to church when we were younger when we visited my grandparents on my moms side.

Now that i've mentioned my "religion background" I will say my piece on the matter. I've never really met hardcore people regarding religion aside from maybe Catholics(and their brotheren Christians) but I would say the way to approach it should be Howard Wolowitz style. The guy is Jewish but cheats a little bit by eating stuff against his religion at times.

I did say I was athiest but I should point out it's more of I don't care more than athiest. For me it really bugs me that one should live their life devoted to someone else who may or may not even exist. I know that those who care deeply enough can probably sway evidence that proves theres a god and that there isn't. I don't mind believing in something, that part is just fine by me. The biggest part of religion is all of the rules. I just believe in being a good person, nobody is perfect.

I guess in the end my point is....you can watc it and disregard what is said. I would think most people would get the idea they are not trying to sell you anything. I think they have been in a church once and it was Sheldon's moms idea and none of the main characters felt comfortable about being there. I think any genious behind Primetime TV would know not to be extrene about politics or religion. I learned growing up that these weren't exactly socially acceptable to discuss on a large scale because they can lead to instant debates. They are polarizing things, very much.

Anyone is entitled to believe what they want but how do they know iyt's right? Nobody from way back then is alive now. I don't wanna dwell on it but there are some sick people in the church buisness who come off as crooks. How do you know the writer(s) of the bible weren't just looking for a quick buck? Knowing something so interesting would be an easy seller. I've never read it, but I admit I do find it interesting regardless if it's true or not. The idea of life and how and why it is, is a fascinating thought with no real definitive answer.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't really get how someone could get offended. Religious or not. And I don't agree at all that science & religion are things that cannot go together... well, maybe some religions, but in my experience they are not incompatible.

I am an Roman Catholic and I am an active member, I went to a Catholic School (which had an amazing science laboratory and they made a special emphasis on Chemistry and Physics) and I even wanted to become a nun when I was a teenager since I wanted to be like the sisters of my congregation, specially sister Nives who was also a Theretical Physicist. I am an Astrophysicist now and even if I didn't become a nun I never had any conflict. Maybe because Catholicism after the Second Vatican Council & the apoligies to Galilleo embraced the scientific method?. I was raised to read the bible as written in simbolic language and not literally. So, therefore, there is no confilict for me.

And I always say the same to the people that think that religion & science don't mix and that the Big Bang Theory contradicts religion: The Big Bang Theory (although the term was coined afterwards) & the theory of the expansion of the universe were formulated by Monsignor Georges Lemaître who was a Catholic Priest. One of the main researchers at CERN nowadays is Jesuit Father Gabriele Gionti, a renowned Astronomer, who is also a priest, not to mention the CERN/Vatican collaboration where CERN Scientists teach Astronomy and Astrophysics at the Vatican during the summer. I see no conflict there whatsoever.

In the case of Islam (I know because I have Islamic family as well) science in the sense of the study of nature as well as the scientific method is a way to honor Alah. We owe the muslims Algebra after all :D as well as many many many advances in trigonometry, geometry, Physics and chemistry amongst others.

So I dunno. It has always baffled me how nowadays there can be people that think that science and religion cannot go together, as it baffles me that creationism is still a thing, it also baffles me when atheists think that all religious people are closeminded or ignorant.

So I dunno. It has always baffled me how nowadays there can be people that think that science and religion cannot go together, as it baffles me that creationism is still a thing

That's always baffled me as well. Even science says the universe was just created out of nothing. The only disagreement is the time scale.

There is Micro and Macro evolution.

http://www.exchangedlife.com/Creation/macro-evol.shtml

That is an "interesting" read...

FTA: When a trait is critical for the survival of the species, it must be fully functional or the species will die off and any ‘evolutionary progress’ would be lost. For example, a bat could not evolve from a rodent because it is completely dependent on its wings for survival. A half-evolved wing could not be used for walking because of its awkward length and shape and would not be functional for flying. The idea of a half-evolved bat is completely illogical.

flying_squirrel.jpg

Flying squirrel disagrees...

That paper could be used as a great example of why conjecture and assumptions are bad.

• 2 months later...

While there was a time when some/most people thought the earth was flat, not everyone did. Sailors on the open ocean, for instance, can SEE the curvature of the earth. Eratosthenes, who pretty much invented geography in the 3rd century BC, figured out the diameter of the earth and the tilt of the earth's axis (remarkably accurately). Someone (I forget who) even had the idea that the sun was the center of the solar system until Ptolemy came up with his map of the earth-centered system that unfortunately dominated thinking for several centuries. Anaxagoras, in the 5th century BC, suggested the sun was not a god, but a fiery hot rock. So people have been pondering the physical world and its properties for a very long time... of course, Anaxagoras was eventually banished from Athens for teaching such godless views to the youth, so it seems there is a long history of tension between religion and science.

I'm not religious anymore (was raised Catholic, was quite devoted at one time), but I do believe there is a God/creator. As Amy said, 'I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.' The argument between Sheldon and his mom when he says he's going to teach evolution to creationists sums up perfectly the opposing views: It's a fact. And that is your OPINION. :D

I'm not a religious fellow, eventhough I was baptized and my old man was Catholic and went through Catholic schooling growing up. My mother was a Presbyterian(sp?) but neither of them in my lifetime really practiced. We sometimes went to church when we were younger when we visited my grandparents on my moms side.

Now that i've mentioned my "religion background" I will say my piece on the matter. I've never really met hardcore people regarding religion aside from maybe Catholics(and their brotheren Christians) but I would say the way to approach it should be Howard Wolowitz style. The guy is Jewish but cheats a little bit by eating stuff against his religion at times.

I did say I was athiest but I should point out it's more of I don't care more than athiest. For me it really bugs me that one should live their life devoted to someone else who may or may not even exist. I know that those who care deeply enough can probably sway evidence that proves theres a god and that there isn't. I don't mind believing in something, that part is just fine by me. The biggest part of religion is all of the rules. I just believe in being a good person, nobody is perfect.

I guess in the end my point is....you can watc it and disregard what is said. I would think most people would get the idea they are not trying to sell you anything. I think they have been in a church once and it was Sheldon's moms idea and none of the main characters felt comfortable about being there. I think any genious behind Primetime TV would know not to be extrene about politics or religion. I learned growing up that these weren't exactly socially acceptable to discuss on a large scale because they can lead to instant debates. They are polarizing things, very much.

Anyone is entitled to believe what they want but how do they know iyt's right? Nobody from way back then is alive now. I don't wanna dwell on it but there are some sick people in the church buisness who come off as crooks. How do you know the writer(s) of the bible weren't just looking for a quick buck? Knowing something so interesting would be an easy seller. I've never read it, but I admit I do find it interesting regardless if it's true or not. The idea of life and how and why it is, is a fascinating thought with no real definitive answer.

I will start with your last question. Most of the "writers" of the Bible could have walked away with their lives intact but instead died horrible deaths like being crucified upside down, stoned, or boiled in oil. All they had to do was deny their belief in Jesus Christ. If they didn't truly believe why would they choose to die?:icon_confused: WELTSCHMERZ

I personally think religion is silly, but if others choose to believe, that is their business - until they get in my face about it. In the deep south, where I (unfortunately) currently reside, that is a big issue much of the time. I leave them alone about it, and I expect the same treatment - but people here are often trying to "save" me or someone else. it was amusing the first couple of times, now it is really tedious - and rather pretentious on their part, to think I need to be "saved". My stock answer is, "From What? Or from whom? And what are your credentials?" Just trying to be light-hearted about it. But usually they get angry and let me know in no uncertain terms that I am headed to hell, to which my typical response, "Oh well. No need to be afraid of something that has not been proven to exist."

And then they are offended again. You just can't please some people. ;-)

I personally think religion is silly, but if others choose to believe, that is their business - until they get in my face about it. In the deep south, where I (unfortunately) currently reside, that is a big issue much of the time. I leave them alone about it, and I expect the same treatment - but people here are often trying to "save" me or someone else. it was amusing the first couple of times, now it is really tedious - and rather pretentious on their part, to think I need to be "saved". My stock answer is, "From What? Or from whom? And what are your credentials?" Just trying to be light-hearted about it. But usually they get angry and let me know in no uncertain terms that I am headed to hell, to which my typical response, "Oh well. No need to be afraid of something that has not been proven to exist."

And then they are offended again. You just can't please some people. ;-)

PROFESSOR, I'm NOT going to "get in your face" I would however like to give my opinion on a few things. I'm sure you have heard what happened when the CEO of CHICK-FIL-A when he said that he was for Traditional Marriage. There have been protests, graffiti, kiss-ins,etc.. How is it OK if I, as a believer, can't voice my beliefs without it being OK for nonbelievers to do that? I bet you've never had protesters at your place of business/home. I believe that anyone who gets angry at your answers is NOT acting very Christian like.I would, however, love to see how you prove there is no hell. Being a Christian doesn't mean I'm sinless it just means I try to sin less. One last point, lets say I'm wrong and you're right, what happens to me when I die? According to nonbelievers, nothing happens. I die, get buried, become worm food. That's it. No more. Finished. I wasted everything in my life and gained nothing, HOWEVER what happens if I'm right and there is a Heaven and hell? I will have wasted nothing and gained everything! If I AM RIGHT what happens to you? PS I'll be praying for you :icon_confused: WELTSCHMERZ

people here are often trying to "save" me or someone else. it was amusing the first couple of times, now it is really tedious - and rather pretentious on their part, to think I need to be "saved". My stock answer is, "From What? Or from whom? And what are your credentials?" Just trying to be light-hearted about it. But usually they get angry and let me know in no uncertain terms that I am headed to hell, to which my typical response, "Oh well. No need to be afraid of something that has not been proven to exist."

Ha! That is a great answer. I may have to borrow it sometime (although the Jehovah's Witnesses that come to my door are very polite and never mention hell and damnation).

PROFESSOR, I'm NOT going to "get in your face" I would however like to give my opinion on a few things. I'm sure you have heard what happened when the CEO of CHICK-FIL-A when he said that he was for Traditional Marriage. There have been protests, graffiti, kiss-ins,etc.. How is it OK if I, as a believer, can't voice my beliefs without it being OK for nonbelievers to do that? I bet you've never had protesters at your place of business/home.

I think this is more of a free speech issue than a religious issue. While I can't say I agree with his stance - the Bible clearly says polygamy is perfectly okay in the first two-thirds of it, although I'm not sure if that was still a practice in Jesus' time (point being, "God's definition of marriage" HAS in fact changed over the years) - nevertheless, he's entitled to his opinion. While I don't agree with it, I don't dispute his right to believe what he believes, and I feel the whole thing got blown way out of proportion. We still have the right to dissenting beliefs in this country. (I think.)

I would, however, love to see how you prove there is no hell.

Well, you can't prove there is a heaven or a hell because by definition they do not exist in this universe/time/dimension/plane of existence/etc. Doesn't mean they don't exist - just means it can't be proven. Thus, faith.

Being a Christian doesn't mean I'm sinless it just means I try to sin less. One last point, lets say I'm wrong and you're right, what happens to me when I die? According to nonbelievers, nothing happens. I die, get buried, become worm food. That's it. No more. Finished. I wasted everything in my life and gained nothing, HOWEVER what happens if I'm right and there is a Heaven and hell? I will have wasted nothing and gained everything! If I AM RIGHT what happens to you?

I don't quite get this line of thinking. Why is it a waste of your life to be good if this is the only life you get? If you strive to live a good life because you feel it is your moral duty as a human being to be kind and generous and good to your neighbors, isn't that worth it for its own sake? Doesn't it cheapen that effort when the motivation behind it is fear of punishment or prospect of reward? Seems to me we should all aspire to be good simply because we can, and we should, and it's the right thing to do.

I don't know what I believe about the afterlife. I think it's possible that the soul lives on, and I also think it's possible we have just invented this concept because the finality of death is rather intimidating. But since this is the only life we know for a fact we will have, shouldn't we spend our time focusing on what we can do to make it better for ourselves and others?

I cannot simply "Believe" because I am told "This is true! You must believe or you are doomed!" I'd think God would know that I wasn't being truthful if I gave lip service to beliefs I don't have. If you're right, then I hope God will see my heart for what it is, forgive that I was unable to accept as fact the teachings of a book that seems to me to be heavily couched in myth and legend, and judge me according to my actions.

One last note: I love the ancient Egyptian concept of the afterlife. Your heart (soul) would be weighed against the feather of Ma'at, the symbol of purity, justice, goodness, etc. If your heart was worthy, you would be sent on to paradise. If not, your heart would be devoured, and you would cease to exist.

I don't quite get this line of thinking. Why is it a waste of your life to be good if this is the only life you get? If you strive to live a good life because you feel it is your moral duty as a human being to be kind and generous and good to your neighbors, isn't that worth it for its own sake? Doesn't it cheapen that effort when the motivation behind it is fear of punishment or prospect of reward? Seems to me we should all aspire to be good simply because we can, and we should, and it's the right thing to do.

I cannot simply "Believe" because I am told "This is true! You must believe or you are doomed!" I'd think God would know that I wasn't being truthful if I gave lip service to beliefs I don't have. If you're right, then I hope God will see my heart for what it is, forgive that I was unable to accept as fact the teachings of a book that seems to me to be heavily couched in myth and legend, and judge me according to my actions.

I agree completely

people here are often trying to "save" me or someone else. it was amusing the first couple of times, now it is really tedious - and rather pretentious on their part, to think I need to be "saved". My stock answer is, "From What? Or from whom? And what are your credentials?" Just trying to be light-hearted about it. But usually they get angry and let me know in no uncertain terms that I am headed to hell, to which my typical response, "Oh well. No need to be afraid of something that has not been proven to exist."

Ha! That is a great answer. I may have to borrow it sometime (although the Jehovah's Witnesses that come to my door are very polite and never mention hell and damnation).

PROFESSOR, I'm NOT going to "get in your face" I would however like to give my opinion on a few things. I'm sure you have heard what happened when the CEO of CHICK-FIL-A when he said that he was for Traditional Marriage. There have been protests, graffiti, kiss-ins,etc.. How is it OK if I, as a believer, can't voice my beliefs without it being OK for nonbelievers to do that? I bet you've never had protesters at your place of business/home.

I think this is more of a free speech issue than a religious issue. While I can't say I agree with his stance - the Bible clearly says polygamy is perfectly okay in the first two-thirds of it, although I'm not sure if that was still a practice in Jesus' time (point being, "God's definition of marriage" HAS in fact changed over the years) - nevertheless, he's entitled to his opinion. While I don't agree with it, I don't dispute his right to believe what he believes, and I feel the whole thing got blown way out of proportion. We still have the right to dissenting beliefs in this country. (I think.)

I would, however, love to see how you prove there is no hell.

Well, you can't prove there is a heaven or a hell because by definition they do not exist in this universe/time/dimension/plane of existence/etc. Doesn't mean they don't exist - just means it can't be proven. Thus, faith.

Being a Christian doesn't mean I'm sinless it just means I try to sin less. One last point, lets say I'm wrong and you're right, what happens to me when I die? According to nonbelievers, nothing happens. I die, get buried, become worm food. That's it. No more. Finished. I wasted everything in my life and gained nothing, HOWEVER what happens if I'm right and there is a Heaven and hell? I will have wasted nothing and gained everything! If I AM RIGHT what happens to you?

I don't know what I believe about the afterlife. I think it's possible that the soul lives on, and I also think it's possible we have just invented this concept because the finality of death is rather intimidating. But since this is the only life we know for a fact we will have, shouldn't we spend our time focusing on what we can do to make it better for ourselves and others?

One last note: I love the ancient Egyptian concept of the afterlife. Your heart (soul) would be weighed against the feather of Ma'at, the symbol of purity, justice, goodness, etc. If your heart was worthy, you would be sent on to paradise. If not, your heart would be devoured, and you would cease to exist.

EUROPA, Please tell me where (chapter and verse) in the Bible GOD says polygamy is OK. I know in the old Testament it has a lot of polygamy but I don't recall ANYWHERE that GOD said it's OK. Going all the way back to the beginning of the Bible, GOD only had 1 rule: DON'T EAT THE FRUIT but because we are not GODs robots and were given free will we disobeyed. That doesn't mean HE was giving us permission to sin. Same with polygamy. By the same token, what % of people today want to go down the moral path? From what I've seen of this world MOST people are selfish and would rather "do what feels good" and couldn't care less for his fellow man. I have more to say but I am going to church now. I'll keep you in my prayers. :icon_confused: WELTSCHMERZ

EUROPA, Please tell me where (chapter and verse) in the Bible GOD says polygamy is OK. I know in the old Testament it has a lot of polygamy but I don't recall ANYWHERE that GOD said it's OK. Going all the way back to the beginning of the Bible, GOD only had 1 rule: DON'T EAT THE FRUIT but because we are not GODs robots and were given free will we disobeyed. That doesn't mean HE was giving us permission to sin. Same with polygamy. By the same token, what % of people today want to go down the moral path? From what I've seen of this world MOST people are selfish and would rather "do what feels good" and couldn't care less for his fellow man. I have more to say but I am going to church now. I'll keep you in my prayers. :icon_confused: WELTSCHMERZ

Hmm. I thought Christians generally believe that the Bible, in its entirety, is the word of God. ? I'm a bit confused as to your stance here. Are you saying that nothing in the Bible was a rule given by God except "don't eat the fruit"? All those laws in Leviticus about what to eat and wear and how to treat your slaves and your wives, the ten commandments, all the teachings of the prophets and of Jesus himself about how to conduct yourself and treat others - just the words of men? (This is what I believe, but it was definitely my impression that this is not what practicing Christians think.)

Your experience is different from mine. I believe most people are basically decent. Yes, we are all selfish and the challenge of life is to balance one's needs with those of others and the community. But there are plenty of examples of people performing acts of heroism, kindness, and altruism for the sake of total strangers with no motivation other than the desire to help a fellow human being.

Feel free to pray for me if you feel it is a good and moral thing to do. :)

Incidentally, it's not my intention to be argumentative here, or even to engage you in debate. Debate just entrenches people in the view they had in the first place; I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. I'm just airing my opinion, and I enjoy the discussion because I like to see how other people think.

Hmm. I thought Christians generally believe that the Bible, in its entirety, is the word of God. ? I'm a bit confused as to your stance here. Are you saying that nothing in the Bible was a rule given by God except "don't eat the fruit"? All those laws in Leviticus about what to eat and wear and how to treat your slaves and your wives, the ten commandments, all the teachings of the prophets and of Jesus himself about how to conduct yourself and treat others - just the words of men? (This is what I believe, but it was definitely my impression that this is not what practicing Christians think.)

Your experience is different from mine. I believe most people are basically decent. Yes, we are all selfish and the challenge of life is to balance one's needs with those of others and the community. But there are plenty of examples of people performing acts of heroism, kindness, and altruism for the sake of total strangers with no motivation other than the desire to help a fellow human being.

Feel free to pray for me if you feel it is a good and moral thing to do. :)

Incidentally, it's not my intention to be argumentative here, or even to engage you in debate. Debate just entrenches people in the view they had in the first place; I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. I'm just airing my opinion, and I enjoy the discussion because I like to see how other people think.

EUROPA, You are not being argumentative at all. It's nice to have a discussion with out the debating or the put downs as others have done. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding about "don't eat the fruit". I only used it as an example to show that ever since Adam and Eve we would rather sin than to do what is right. I don't want it to sound that everyone is evil because there ARE a great many people who do great and wonderful things. After the 10 BIG ONES, the last commandment (one that JESUS gave us) was "Love One Another As I Have Loved You. I DO believe EVERY word of the Bible (BASIC INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE LEAVING EARTH) as originally written as the true spoken word of GOD. I DO however have SOME complaints of the changing of words/meanings that some Bibles have done. I use a "STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE of the BIBLE" to help me understand the Bible better. I DO NOT want it to sound like I'm a know-it-all about things of the Bible. I will tell it as I know it and research it as I need it. May GOD bless you and I hope to hear from you soon. :icon_confused: WELTSCHMERZ

I don't see how would watching a show be a problem for religious people. It's not like they are imagining some new rules on it, or being blasphemous. The show just states scientific facts. It would be like asking how can religious people live on this planet at all, with all these scientists and their researchers around..If one truly believes in something, simple things, like this show, wouldn't affect their beliefs.

I know there are many people who say they were/are christens but are not (past and present). I know people get confused with the the difference between religion and Christianity. The best way to understand' it in my opinion, is with the poem by Jefferson Betlke called "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus". Try it you might like it. It's on the net.