The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShellyBean

Worst episode EVER?

@Grasshopper - good analysis of people's wildly varying tastes. It may amaze me that anyone could list Bath Item or Adhesive Duck in their list of worst episodes (for me they're TBBT classics), but on the other hand, it's happening!

Those episodes have some of the best scenes in the entire series, but the entire episodes aren't golden. I love the x-mas gift exchange, who doesn't? But the rest of the stuff, with David Underhill... bleah...

True. My respect for Penny took a serious hit in that episode. Still, the other story lines were great. "Gather round, kids. Its time for Sheldon's beloved Christmas special."

@Grasshopper - good analysis of people's wildly varying tastes. It may amaze me that anyone could list Bath Item or Adhesive Duck in their list of worst episodes (for me they're TBBT classics), but on the other hand, it's happening!

Those episodes have some of the best scenes in the entire series, but the entire episodes aren't golden. I love the x-mas gift exchange, who doesn't? But the rest of the stuff, with David Underhill... bleah...

I love some of those scenes with David Underhill. Penny's reaction upon learning that David is a physicist is hilarious.

I don't judge Penny too harshly. Her character has struggled with being attracted to the Jock/Athletic type of guy who, in the end, have not been good for her. She is attracted to Leonard and at that time had not resolved those feelings. So here comes David a hunk and a brain so she was naturally attracted to him, only to learn in the end that he was no different than the other hunky guys she has liked in the past.

I think that episode was part of her learning and growth as a character.

• Like 1

I love some of those scenes with David Underhill. Penny's reaction upon learning that David is a physicist is hilarious.

I don't judge Penny too harshly. Her character has struggled with being attracted to the Jock/Athletic type of guy who, in the end, have not been good for her. She is attracted to Leonard and at that time had not resolved those feelings. So here comes David a hunk and a brain so she was naturally attracted to him, only to learn in the end that he was no different than the other hunky guys she has liked in the past.

That scene just strikes too close to home for me I guess. =)

It was one of the moments in life when I realized how shallow people can be, and that a person's inner self doesn't matter if they don't come in a shiny box. My misanthropy gained several levels that day.

It was one of the moments in life when I realized how shallow people can be, and that a person's inner self doesn't matter if they don't come in a shiny box. My misanthropy gained several levels that day.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I also felt that it was an experience through which Penny learnt a lot. She was (still is) young enough to make mistakes in relationships, and go by the superficial sometimes. But that must have been a significant lesson to her about how foolish and risky this might be. It brought her one step closer to realizing the importance of a person's goodness and integrity, minus the wrappings.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I think it just comes to all of us having different tastes. In Einstein Approximation for example, I love the whole episode, but the last Bazinga Ball pit scene... I can't stand it.. I think it is because it goes on for too long. I usually skip it when rewatching, it really annoys me, but yet everybody I have spoken with utterly loves the ballpit scene... o.0

and Adhesive Duck... I like that episode, but is not on my top ten or even top 20. Is not one of my favorites at all.

Ball pit scenes took Sheldon's childlike tendencies TOO far in my opinion. Overdone slightly....As was Leonard's reaction to it.

Adhesive Ducks - Sheldon helping Penny get dressed is great, "Is that my arm?"... as well as the driving and filling out the hospital form is CLASSIC. "Reason for accident/injury - Lack of Adhesive Ducks". "Migranes? - Geting One!" followed later by "ASS! ---- Possible Tourretes."

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I also felt that it was an experience through which Penny learnt a lot. She was (still is) young enough to make mistakes in relationships, and go by the superficial sometimes. But that must have been a significant lesson to her about how foolish and risky this might be. It brought her one step closer to realizing the importance of a person's goodness and integrity, minus the wrappings.

True... I just felt so bad for Leonard, and the way Galecki played the scene, the look on his face, the soul crushing realization that yeah, the world really does work how you hoped it didn't... perfect...

I think it just comes to all of us having different tastes. In Einstein Approximation for example, I love the whole episode, but the last Bazinga Ball pit scene... I can't stand it.. I think it is because it goes on for too long. I usually skip it when rewatching, it really annoys me, but yet everybody I have spoken with utterly loves the ballpit scene... o.0

and Adhesive Duck... I like that episode, but is not on my top ten or even top 20. Is not one of my favorites at all.

I too hate the ball pit scene, I think the start of it is fun, but I don't like the fact that Sheldon tries to hide in it, way too childish.

Speckerman gets my vote, closely followed by Stag.

I didn't like the second ball-pit scene at all. The rest of the episode is one of my favorites (we do be crazy like that when stuck on a problem) :p but I just have to close after Howard and Raj dancing.

I didn't like the second ball-pit scene at all. The rest of the episode is one of my favorites (we do be crazy like that when stuck on a problem) :p but I just have to close after Howard and Raj dancing.

I even go so far as to not enjoy a lot of the first part, Sheldon would not break and enter anywhere, even in that state, even if he can.

I even go so far as to not enjoy a lot of the first part, Sheldon would not break and enter anywhere, even in that state, even if he can.

You mean Sheldon has been going out of character ever since season 3? :p

I did find the ball-pit scenes over-the-top, though I wouldn't say OOC since he was in a specific mental condition at that time (and for good reason - he was trying to solve a Nobel problem).

• Like 1

I'd say both "The Speckerman Recurrence" and "The Werewolf Transformation" qualify. "The Hawking Excitation" and "The Stag Convergence" were pretty bad, too.

Most of the episode I like the least seem to be in Season Five.

The ballpit scene is genius.

I just don't find Adhesive Duck that great, aside from Wolowitz finding out he had sex with a 2nd cousin he didn't know about.

I didn't mind the first ball pit scene. The second one was just painful. I skip it when it gets to that part.

I can't believe so many people think the Adhesive Duck episode was bad! It was one of the best and had some great scenes like when Raj Howard and Leonard got drugged and told each other their secrets, Sheldon helping Penny to put clothes on and the best part where Sheldon fills out the form for Penny.

Oh and yeah, The Stag Convergence was pretty bad..I don't know how I missed that.

The Speckerman Recurrence. Hands down my least favorite.

I agree. That was also my personal worst episode. I just can`t stand that Speckerman guy. He was just lame and he was an idiot.

I agree. That was also my personal worst episode. I just can`t stand that Speckerman guy. He was just lame and he was an idiot.

And he won.

And he won.

And that was the worst thing about the episode.

• Like 1

And he won.

Eh... I dunno, he's still a drunk loser. Sure, Leonard may never best him in a physical confrontation, but I agree with Speckerman when he said he was the loser now and Leonard was the winner. Even as Leonard was running down the stairs at the end, he was still proud of himself for standing up for himself.

• Like 1

And he won.

Eh... I dunno, he's still a drunk loser. Sure, Leonard may never best him in a physical confrontation, but I agree with Speckerman when he said he was the loser now and Leonard was the winner. Even as Leonard was running down the stairs at the end, he was still proud of himself for standing up for himself.

He only said he was a drunk loser when he was drunk. The next morning he took up his bullying ways. Leonard hardly stood up for himself - he ran away.

Not only that but they gave bullies a platform to spew the [email protected] about how bullies are just having fun and that they think the victems were having fun too. This was true for both Speckerman and Penny - neither of whom were in the least remorseful.

This is complete nonsense. For me the whole episode was a celebration of bullying.

Nobody mentioned The Ornithophobia Diffusion?

eonard and Penny bickering the whole time about their dates. Sheldon's fear of birds turning into a major obsession of love?

Nobody mentioned The Ornithophobia Diffusion?

eonard and Penny bickering the whole time about their dates. Sheldon's fear of birds turning into a major obsession of love?

Yep, that was boring. I only saw that episode twice, I always skip it when I'm on a rerun marathon.

Looks like season 5 has had the worst episodes ever according to all these replies on this thread. Well, lets hope season 6 will be the best one ever!

I also didn't like the ending of Speckerman--it seemed to ignore most of the last few seasons' worth of character growth to set up a punch line that was tired 30 years ago.

• Like 1

I also didn't like the ending of Speckerman--it seemed to ignore most of the last few seasons' worth of character growth to set up a punch line that was tired 30 years ago.

I agree. That was a disappointing way to end it.

• Like 1