The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShellyBean

Worst episode EVER?

There are only a few episodes I didn't like and hardly ever rewatch - Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification, Speckerman Recurrence, Wiggly Finger Catalyst, Engagement Reaction. Also Lunar Excitation, apart from the 3 minutes of Sheldon/Amy's first meeting - I disliked how they handled Leonard/Penny in that episode.

While I'm not a fan of how the main storyline of Wiggly Finger Catalyst (Raj & deaf gold digger) unfolded after a promising start, I thought the side story of Sheldon rolling dice for minor decisions saved the episode.  Clever Sheldon writing.  Also, the opening to the episode, with the 4 playing D&D, delivered one of the classic lines of the whole series, imo, when Sheldon lamented, in response to Raj, that if girl trouble was a reason not to play D&D, then the game was in serious trouble.  I'm chucking as I type it!

Edited by jayd

For me the worst episode was 1 x 10 "The Loobenfeld Decay", I don't like the cousin, can't help myself, I just don't like this one.

• Like 2

For me it was 2/11 the bath item gift hypothesis.

I know these are characters acting out roles and the comedic element is making the unlikely happen, but.......

It worried me how Penny had treated Leonard as a nerdy guy, sort of stringing him along, not sure whether she was interested, making him jump through all sorts of emotional and behavioural hoops to even be in her company......and in the space of a few seconds was acting all girly and interested in 'science', accepting an impromtu date with the Dave Underhill character and from that in a matter of days to a sexual relationship and allowing nude photographs of herself to be taken!

Frankly any guy who would continue to chase a woman like that would have a screw looose - leonard should have moved on straight away. Priya ans especially Alex were much better bets!

That said I do like the way Big Bang doesn't shy away from a lot of 'social' issues.....like, looks are essentially what drive attraction, nerdy guys do get bullied and lack confidence, sexual confidence is seen as more valuable than acedemic intelligence and many other norms.

It takes it a bit deeper than just an escapist comedy.

• Like 1

For me the one where the guys are creating an app for scanning in equations.      The episode is basically Sheldon being a major jerk until the other guys kick him out of the group.

Hardly a single genuine laugh in the entire episode,

Agreed about the Penny/Raj hookup episode.   I feel sorry for fans who had to wait an entire summer to see it kind of resolved.   To me that is arguably the low point for both characters.    

I think the one where Sheldon returns from space (though it is the first episode I ever saw) is pretty lame. 

I think the one where Sheldon returns from space (though it is the first episode I ever saw) is pretty lame. 

I think you mean Howard?

I know some ppl want to shoot Sheldon into space, but this is going to far...

Worst 4.24 – The Roommate Transmogrification

Worst because Penny and Raj hookup in Leonard's bed. It is hard to imagine anyone having less class than that. Leonard did essentially give Raj permission to have a girl over but in Leonard's mind the odds of that happening was next to zero. Even if Penny was drunk I can't see her going into Leonard's room with Raj. Exactly how Leonard can have any interest in Penny at all after this I don't get. She got so drunk that she had no idea what she was doing. To me that shows an extreme problem with alcohol. Who could trust someone that does something like that?

Most of the time I like Penny. That episode makes it a lot harder to like her or Raj.

others I don't like (these are the ones that actually make me embarrassed to admit I watch TBBT)

2.19 – The Dead Hooker Juxtaposition

3.21 – The Plimpton Stimulation

4.15 – The Benefactor Factor

There is a pattern. I don't like episodes where the guys, who are supposed to be intelligent are like teenagers when it comes to sex. I'm sure there are some other examples but these are the one's that come to mind at the moment.

edited in March 2014

718 `The Mommy Observation`. This one ranks with most of the others on my bad list but not as bad as 4.24

Edited by djsurrey

For me it was 2/11 the bath item gift hypothesis.

I know these are characters acting out roles and the comedic element is making the unlikely happen, but.......

It worried me how Penny had treated Leonard as a nerdy guy, sort of stringing him along, not sure whether she was interested, making him jump through all sorts of emotional and behavioural hoops to even be in her company......and in the space of a few seconds was acting all girly and interested in 'science', accepting an impromtu date with the Dave Underhill character and from that in a matter of days to a sexual relationship and allowing nude photographs of herself to be taken!

Frankly any guy who would continue to chase a woman like that would have a screw looose - leonard should have moved on straight away. Priya ans especially Alex were much better bets!

That said I do like the way Big Bang doesn't shy away from a lot of 'social' issues.....like, looks are essentially what drive attraction, nerdy guys do get bullied and lack confidence, sexual confidence is seen as more valuable than acedemic intelligence and many other norms.

It takes it a bit deeper than just an escapist comedy.

I respect your opinion but you clearly missed the point of that episode, yes it made Penny look hypocritical but that was the underlying issue. To me Penny dated him because he seemed like a nice guy, but then I think Penny was really shallow in her taste, she has come a long way. So I do not agree that Leonard should of moved on, lets be frank here it is not Pennys fault that Leonard pathetically mooned after her for an entire year, and diddnt even tell Penny how he felt, she continued her life as usual because tbh she has every right to date who ever she wants regardless of the perception. By season 2 after their date they seemenly moved on, DU was really a cross between her usual dumby gym guys and Leonard, perfect for her haha! This is the thing I dont think this makes Penny a bad person, hypocritical yes and a tad naive to think DU was a great guy (he was married) but not a bad person. She was idealistic and isolated and made some stupid mistakes when it came to dating. In the end though Leonard and Penny made up, I just have a hard time accusing Penny of saying she made Leonard jump through hoops, yet Leonard never gave Penny the option of choosing him he should of been honest with her, this is character flaw the episode it self IMO was and still is TBBT best ever.

• Like 2

For me the worst episode was 1 x 10 "The Loobenfeld Decay", I don't like the cousin, can't help myself, I just don't like this one.

Yeah, Leo was a creep.

I also hated the one where Penny "hooks up" with Raj. I can't tell if it's because I thought Penny had evolved past drunken mistakes and they just brought her down, or if my heart just bled for Leonard...maybe both. Then again, she was hurt about the whole Priya thing (not an excuse) and acted like a heartbroken girl in her 20's so I forgave her. Still a bad episode!

Except for Sheldon calling Penny and Raj "boozehounds" hehe.

Worst episode ever is hands down The Bus Pants Utilization.  Incredibly annoying episode.

Sheldon was a complete jerk and he knew what he was doing all the way . PERIOD

Aww, I liked Leo. He was like a melodramatic goblin. (That seems to be the only episode they hardly ever show.)

Yeah, I liked the character Leo too, he fitted very well in that episode, especially the arguments between him and Sheldon were funny.

I think the Speckerman one was pretty bad, or the one with Wozniak.

Certainly not any of the episodes before Season 5. My worst ones probably exist in Season 5, although I haven't watched them since they aired so I can't remember them very well. A few people have mentioned The Speckerman Recurrence, which I would agree with,

Edited by viddy9
  • Like 1

3x14 The Einstein Approximation is my least favorite episode. Sheldon acted like a 3 year old to solve some equation and then the episode was over. It made him look stupid and was not funny at all.  I also never understood whats funny about that ball pit scene. 

7x05" The workplace proximity" is also terrible. Just seeing Sheldon being rude to Amy half the time was not funny. Neither was Howard and Bernadette's conflict. I got bored while watching that episode

Edited by thephantom

3x14 The Einstein Approximation is my least favorite episode. Sheldon acted like a 3 year old to solve some equation and then the episode was over. It made him look stupid and was not funny at all.  I also never understood whats funny about that ball pit scene. 

[snip]

I thought Sheldon obsessing over the properties of graphene was very timely. He was stumped and apparently Sheldon gets very odd when he is stumped.

from http://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/s03e14-the-einstein-approximation/

...what attracted Sheldon’s attention tonight is the theoretical description of electron motion in graphene.  By a mathematical coincidence, the equation that describes electron motion in graphene is almost the same as the fundamental equation of free electrons in relativistic quantum mechanics:  the famous Dirac Equation.   Because of the electrons’ interactions with the carbon nuclei, the electrons move as if they are massless.   So graphene can serve as a kind of laboratory for particle physics theorists, like Sheldon, to test their understanding of the mathematics they use every day under more abstract and less controllable conditions.

and also from http://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/s03e14-the-einstein-approximation/#comment-268

Also, isn’t Sheldon’s epiphany when he sees the broken plates at the end a reference to Richard Feynman’s similar experience, seeing spinning plates dropped by a waiter and being inspired about rotation?

There is an answer at the link given above.

And to clear up one other question I have seen come up elsewhere:

from http://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/s03e14-the-einstein-approximation/#comment-1154

err, yeah, for a physicist with so many academic credentials, he conveniently forgot that electrons act as both a particle and waves. this is highly unrealistic.

• David Saltzberg Says:

February 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

I think the concept was that he realized they were a “supercollimated wave”. That is a more subtle point in graphene than just wave particle duality.

All in all I thought that this episode was brilliant.

Edited by djsurrey

The Killer Robot Instability (s02e12) probably isn't the worst episode, but I'm not a fan. 

What prevents it from being the worst, if nothing else, is the opening scene, where the robot crashes through the door and startles Penny.  That was hilarious.

After the credits roll, however, I find myself laughing at little else, and cringing in my seat a whole lot.  Pathetic Howard, mean Penny, pathetic Howard again.  And the robot storyline ends up falling flat for me.

I think you mean Howard?

I know some ppl want to shoot Sheldon into space, but this is going to far...

They should shoot Sheldon into space. It would be very funny to see what he does up there

They should shoot Sheldon into space. It would be very funny to see what he does up there

Funny but it could never happen.

Mine was the 1st valentines episode like why don't Sheldon buy his own ticket to Switzerland like he makes more money then Leonard to me that episode made no sense penny Leonard and Sheldon could of all went but noo Sheldon isn't smart enough to buy penny a ticket for like $300 dollars and still go to the  super collider with Leonard & he has money hidden everywhere in the apartment even in a snake in a can and green lanterns ass :(

The Killer Robot Instability (s02e12) probably isn't the worst episode, but I'm not a fan. 

What prevents it from being the worst, if nothing else, is the opening scene, where the robot crashes through the door and startles Penny.  That was hilarious.

After the credits roll, however, I find myself laughing at little else, and cringing in my seat a whole lot.  Pathetic Howard, mean Penny, pathetic Howard again.  And the robot storyline ends up falling flat for me.

That episode fell a little flat for me as well.  I love Howard, and I liked the premise of this episode - Penny confronting him about his unacceptable behavior, and him showing her and the audience how sensitive he really is at heart - but the broken nose bit just kind of ruined it for me.  And I hated the robot storyline, other than the scene you mentioned of it bursting through the door and startling Penny.

As others have said, "The Speckerman Recurrence" was pretty terrible, although I did like Sheldon attempting to stand up for Leonard. 

Another episode that I notably disliked was "The Habitation Configuration."  While I would generally be all for Sheldon standing up for his girlfriend, and while the scene of Sheldon drunk at Wil Wheaton's house was absolutely hilarious, I thought Amy's behavior in this one was completely unreasonable and hate that the writers chose *this* moment - of all the other more applicable situations that could have been used - to teach Sheldon about being loyal to his other half.  If anything, Amy was the one who needed a lecture.

I can't really say that was my least favorite episode, though, because of the aforementioned Sheldon/Wil moment and the great exchange between Penny and Sheldon at the bar ("Welcome to Long Island, Tex.").

It seems to be the general consensus that the Speckerman Recurrence was the worst - but I rather liked that episode - I liked the gang going to the bar with Leonard to confront Speckerman, I liked Sheldon standing up and defending Leonard, I liked Leonard letting Jimmy stay the night to sleep it off rather than drink and drive, I loved Sheldon's suggestion that they could kill Jimmy as a symbolic act to all the bullies who tormented them, yes Jimmy's apology turned out to be phony, but that is consistent with bullies, they don't change much - which is why I also liked the Penny part of the episode, she came to terms with her bullying past and has become a better person, I also like the raiding of the donation bin - very Seinfeldian - I guess they could have ended the episode better than having Sheldon and Leonard running away from Jimmy - Maybe they could have had Jimmy fall down the stairs chasing them and end up in the hospital, while Sheldon and Leonard laughed at him :)

As for my worst - while there aren't any episodes I wouldn't watch again, there are some like the Penny Blossom episode and the two Dr Stephanie episodes I  thought  were on the weak side, but the episode that still irks me the most is the Re-entry Minimization - that Howard came back from space, something all the guys would have loved to of done, and everybody blew him off just seemed untrue to these characters, Howard should have been a hero in the group for what he did, instead to this day nobody has really given him credit for it, in fact they told him to stop talking about it all the time.

Edited by luke
  • Like 3

It seems to be the general consensus that the Speckerman Recurrence was the worst - but I rather liked that episode - I liked the gang going to the bar with Leonard to confront Speckerman, I liked Sheldon standing up and defending Leonard, I liked Leonard letting Jimmy stay the night to sleep it off rather than drink and drive, I loved Sheldon's suggestion that they could kill Jimmy as a symbolic act to all the bullies who tormented them, yes Jimmy's apology turned out to be phony, but that is consistent with bullies, they don't change much - which is why I also liked the Penny part of the episode, she came to terms with her bullying past and has become a better person, I also like the raiding of the donation bin - very Seinfeldian - I guess they could have ended the episode better than having Sheldon and Leonard running away from Jimmy - Maybe they could have had Jimmy fall down the stairs chasing them and end up in the hospital, while Sheldon and Leonard laughed at him :)

As for my worst - while there aren't any episodes I wouldn't watch again, there are some like the Penny Blossom episode and the two Dr Stephanie episodes - I  thought  were weak because they were on the boring side or not funny enough - but the episode that still irks me the most is the Re-entry Minimization - that Howard came back from space, something all the guys would have loved to of done, and everybody blew him off just seemed untrue to these characters, Howard should have been a hero in the group for what he did, instead to this day nobody has really given him credit for it, in fact they told him to stop talking about it all the time.

that really bothered me about Poor Howard too!  I thought it was out of character.  They would have pumped him for info!!