Worst episode EVER?

ShellyBean

But yeah it is hard to isolate worst episode ever. Itchy Brain recently sure. But Johnny was awesome in that one, his expressions have always been one of the highlights for me. But overall Sheldon was a jerk in that one. 

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about itchy Brain for similar reasons.  Johnny's performance was absolutely brilliant (especially the whole sequence after Sheldon's confession, from ripping off the sweater to clasping the frozen veggies to his chest to sputtering as he left the room.  He is so wonderfully expressive.  I also loved Kaley's delivery of the line "Is that sweater made of bees???"

But Sheldon...idk.  I like the premise - Sheldon trying to find a way of making his roommate understand how his mind works, and how uncomfortable things that might seem minor to other people can become for him.  I have an autistic friend who is very much like Sheldon and has told me similar things, so I could really empathize with Sheldon in the beginning of the episode when he made his proposal and Leonard was scoffing at him.  But the reveal at the end was just too mean-spirited.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The Killer Robot Instability, The Speckerman Recurrence and The Itchy Brain Simulation.

Very bad handling of serious subjects, pretty cruel actions from characters that are usually likeable and generally lame jokes.

The Killer Robot Instability, The Speckerman Recurrence and The Itchy Brain Simulation.

Very bad handling of serious subjects, pretty cruel actions from characters that are usually likeable and generally lame jokes.

Heh shows the diversity of the fanbase. Those are 3 of my fav eps. Espeically Killer Robot. Killer Robot alone has that iconic scene. OF the killer robot killing a toaster, and nearly Penny haha. One of the best opening sequences to a sitcom ever. I think they delt with serious subjects pretty well actually. Penny appologized. And I may be in the minority here but Howard definately deserved to be punched in the nose. Speckerman I liked too, liked how his Friends were their for him. And I woulden't say Itchy was that unlikely. Sheldon castrating Leonard, done it before. 

Speckerman sucks and in general, I hated the 3 episodes featuring Dr. Stephanie....just didn't fit in with the vibe of the show for that moment, JMO though.

I really liked the epsiodes with Dr Stephanie. One of my fav moments, when Penny walked in the morning with her pink nighties. Clearly marking her terriotory haha. I liked Speckerman am I the only one? haha.  

Heh shows the diversity of the fanbase. Those are 3 of my fav eps. Espeically Killer Robot. Killer Robot alone has that iconic scene. OF the killer robot killing a toaster, and nearly Penny haha. One of the best opening sequences to a sitcom ever. I think they delt with serious subjects pretty well actually. Penny appologized. And I may be in the minority here but Howard definately deserved to be punched in the nose. Speckerman I liked too, liked how his Friends were their for him. And I woulden't say Itchy was that unlikely. Sheldon castrating Leonard, done it before.

I really liked the epsiodes with Dr Stephanie. One of my fav moments, when Penny walked in the morning with her pink nighties. Clearly marking her terriotory haha. I liked Speckerman am I the only one? haha.

Don't really agree. I think that it was way too cruel of her to tell him that he was going to grow old and die alone, I was with her up until then but by that point she was more interested in hurting him than making a point. And her apology didn't really seem honest. She only went there to apologize because Leonard asked her too. In Speckerman Recurrence they basically made fun of the bullying that Leonard suffered and Penny being a bully as a child. Keeping in mind what a bad effect that can have on a person and how many suicides happens every day because of bullying I didn't find it funny. Sheldon was pretty cruel in what he did to Leonard in Itchy Brain Simulation and it was way over the top to be funny or in character and satisfaction joke regarding Amy was pretty cruel too. Penny was also incredibly mean to Lucy in that episode, which was a pretty messed up thing to show given Lucy's problems and having in my mind much worse things than breaking up by the text that Penny did in the past. Whole Raj storyline in that episode also went over the top and was ridiculous. Just terrible episodes in my opinion.

• 4 months later...

The Killer Robot Instability (s02e12) probably isn't the worst episode, but I'm not a fan.

What prevents it from being the worst, if nothing else, is the opening scene, where the robot crashes through the door and startles Penny. That was hilarious.

After the credits roll, however, I find myself laughing at little else, and cringing in my seat a whole lot. Pathetic Howard, mean Penny, pathetic Howard again. And the robot storyline ends up falling flat for me.

I find that episode disturbing.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a list of my least favourite episodes (in no particular order):

1. The Speckerman Recurrence (5x11)

While I appreciated Sheldon standing up for Leonard, the entire premise of this episode makes me particularly uncomfortable. As Mayim (I think?) said in an interview recently, the show aims to show how the supposedly socially outcast guys are nonetheless able to lead happy and fulfilling lives. This was completely undermined in this episode by the haunting return of Leonard's high school bully, and it portrayed all four of the guys, but especially Leonard, in quite a belittling way. There was apparently no resolution to the conflict with Jimmy either, as I believe the episode ended with Leonard and Sheldon running away from him out of the apartment. All in all, not a fun episode to watch.

2. The Roommate Transmogrification (4x24)

Two things bothered me in this episode. The first was Leonard and Priya's astronomically inaccurate Star Trek sex in Raj's bedroom. How much more inconsiderate could you be?! They were using Raj's bed in Raj's apartment, leaving Raj with no choice but to go and find somewhere else to spend the night. Like, they could've at least had the decency to use Leonard's bed instead? What really got me though was the fact that Leonard was actually annoyed at Raj when he found him in his bed. Where else is the guy supposed to go?! 

The second thing that bothered me in this episode? You guessed it, Penny and Raj's supposed hook up. It didn't do any favours for either character and IMO was really only done because the writers wanted drama for the season finale. Much like the Lenny scenario in the finale of Season 8! 

3. The Thespian Catalyst (4x14)

While I adore the platonic Shenny scenes of this episode, what really bugs me is the second storyline of Raj's crush on Bernadette. I find it so creepy how Raj actually fantasises about his best friend dying so he can get with Bernadette. Also, I have never felt more confused during an episode of Big Bang than I did during that Bollywood number towards the end. I have to skip through it every time because it is such a massive cringe. 

4. The Killer Robot Instability (2x12)

While it's nice to see Penny standing up for herself to Howard's incessant flirting, I think it could have been handled in such a better way. She was so mean in the way she treated Howard to the point where she is made to seem like a massive bully. The robot plot line was also nothing to write home about.

5. The Table Polarisation (7x16)

I did not enjoy this episode at all. As a Shamy shipper, I expected so much more from the episode following the first Sheldon-initiated-kiss...but instead what did we get? We got an almost-breakup over a table! A table! To me, this episode reeked of missed opportunity. 

6. The Convention Conundrum (7x14)

While I was initially excited to see James Earl Jones as a guest star, I don't think he was written well at all. While I get what they were trying to do, to give Sheldon a taste of his own medicine with regards to his obsessive behaviour around celebrities he idolises, IMO the entire plot line seemed particularly unrealistic (moving past the incorrect depiction of buying Comic Con tickets in the cold open...why on earth would you continually press refresh?!). I think they got a little bit carried away with this one.

----------------------------------------------------

That's all I can think of for now...I love the show so much so I hate to criticise it...but these episodes truly left a lot to be desired.

Edited by The Mushroom Log

I liked The Convention Conundrum (7x14). It went over the top to the point Sheldon was OOC but it had James Earl Jones invite Sheldon to join him instead of sending him away. This is among my favorite scenes in TBBT. It's JEJ with his iconic voice:

The beginning of that scene reminded be of the ESB  scene where Vader says "You have failed me for the last time Admiral"

see, I don't have a worst episode. Each one has something good, whether it be a message or a funny joke. If I think a show has worst episodes, I stop watching. 

Worst really just means if you were to rank all the episodes this on or these ones would end up at the bottom of the heap.

I don't watch reruns of the ones I listed as worst. (with the exception of 4.24).

I still enjoy the series and there are plenty of episodes I rank good to excellent.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Here's a list of my least favourite episodes (in no particular order):

1. The Speckerman Recurrence (5x11)

While I appreciated Sheldon standing up for Leonard, the entire premise of this episode makes me particularly uncomfortable. As Mayim (I think?) said in an interview recently, the show aims to show how the supposedly socially outcast guys are nonetheless able to lead happy and fulfilling lives. This was completely undermined in this episode by the haunting return of Leonard's high school bully, and it portrayed all four of the guys, but especially Leonard, in quite a belittling way. There was apparently no resolution to the conflict with Jimmy either, as I believe the episode ended with Leonard and Sheldon running away from him out of the apartment. All in all, not a fun episode to watch.

2. The Roommate Transmogrification (4x24)

Two things bothered me in this episode. The first was Leonard and Priya's astronomically inaccurate Star Trek sex in Raj's bedroom. How much more inconsiderate could you be?! They were using Raj's bed in Raj's apartment, leaving Raj with no choice but to go and find somewhere else to spend the night. Like, they could've at least had the decency to use Leonard's bed instead? What really got me though was the fact that Leonard was actually annoyed at Raj when he found him in his bed. Where else is the guy supposed to go?! 

The second thing that bothered me in this episode? You guessed it, Penny and Raj's supposed hook up. It didn't do any favours for either character and IMO was really only done because the writers wanted drama for the season finale. Much like the Lenny scenario in the finale of Season 8! 

3. The Thespian Catalyst (4x14)

While I adore the platonic Shenny scenes of this episode, what really bugs me is the second storyline of Raj's crush on Bernadette. I find it so creepy how Raj actually fantasises about his best friend dying so he can get with Bernadette. Also, I have never felt more confused during an episode of Big Bang than I did during that Bollywood number towards the end. I have to skip through it every time because it is such a massive cringe. 

4. The Killer Robot Instability (2x12)

While it's nice to see Penny standing up for herself to Howard's incessant flirting, I think it could have been handled in such a better way. She was so mean in the way she treated Howard to the point where she is made to seem like a massive bully. The robot plot line was also nothing to write home about.

5. The Table Polarisation (7x16)

I did not enjoy this episode at all. As a Shamy shipper, I expected so much more from the episode following the first Sheldon-initiated-kiss...but instead what did we get? We got an almost-breakup over a table! A table! To me, this episode reeked of missed opportunity. 

6. The Convention Conundrum (7x14)

While I was initially excited to see James Earl Jones as a guest star, I don't think he was written well at all. While I get what they were trying to do, to give Sheldon a taste of his own medicine with regards to his obsessive behaviour around celebrities he idolises, IMO the entire plot line seemed particularly unrealistic (moving past the incorrect depiction of buying Comic Con tickets in the cold open...why on earth would you continually press refresh?!). I think they got a little bit carried away with this one.

----------------------------------------------------

That's all I can think of for now...I love the show so much so I hate to criticise it...but these episodes truly left a lot to be desired.

I think that The Killer Robot Instability had Penny in her worst, minus The Itchy Brain Simulation. I also didn't like her "cornfield Kathy" story in The Speckerman Recurrence. If that were my child....

Edited by Mislav
  • Like 1

I liked The Convention Conundrum (7x14). It went over the top to the point Sheldon was OOC but it had James Earl Jones invite Sheldon to join him instead of sending him away. This is among my favorite scenes in TBBT. It's JEJ with his iconic voice:

The beginning of that scene reminded be of the ESB  scene where Vader says "You have failed me for the last time Admiral"

Worst really just means if you were to rank all the episodes this on or these ones would end up at the bottom of the heap.

I don't watch reruns of the ones I listed as worst. (with the exception of 4.24).

I still enjoy the series and there are plenty of episodes I rank good to excellent.

I liked the beginning parts of 'Convention Conundrum' where JEJ invites Sheldon to join him, that was really sweet :) 

What I didn't like was how over-the-top that storyline got by the end of the episode where they're in the sauna. 

See, even though I've done a list of my least favourite episodes, there is still something good in each one of them. I don't intend to write off the episodes as a whole, just bits and pieces here and there that I didn't find particularly enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Guest sladenoddy

Season 8 episode 24 was just so damned annoying what are the writers playing at?, OOC Leonard was just wrong.

Aren't the writers supposed to entertain rather than pee us off?, yes just awful, shame on them. 

Fish Guts and Prom were dreadful.  Also the one where they sang to Bernadette.

Why were they dreadful?  I don't see Bernadette being sang too being any more or less cheesy than when Sheldon sang his minstrel about Leonard in The Financial Permeability.

Edited by meka3000

Fish Guts and Prom were dreadful.

I thought fish guts was brilliant, especially the looks on Amy face, and her voice, when she said "You wanna rub something on my chest?", "Are you saying you wanna spank me?" and "then maybe you should spank me harder".

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

Season 8 episode 24 was just so damned annoying what are the writers playing at?, OOC Leonard was just wrong.

Aren't the writers supposed to entertain rather than pee us off?, yes just awful, shame on them. 

I liked this episode.  Keeps me wanting to come back for more--let's find out what's going to happen.

Intimacy Acceleration.  Hands down.  I hate it, I still hate it. It was OOC for Sheldon and just fan service to the Shenny crowd, even if they didn't "fall in love."  Worthless, not funny and complete slap in the face of not only Shamy fans, but Lenny's as well.  

If I was Lenny shipper, I'd say the season 8 finale as well.  What the hell?  You make the good guy the ass hole?  So OOC for Leonard!  Just terrible.  Loved the Shamy part, but damn... Leonard.. Damn...

• Like 2

I'm with Stephen on Fish Guts.  It's one of my favorites!  Sheldon taking care of sick Amy is comedy gold.  I really don't care for that Speckerman episode not for any plot reasons but more just because I found the actor who portrayed Speckerman annoying.

Intimacy Acceleration.  Hands down.  I hate it, I still hate it. It was OOC for Sheldon and just fan service to the Shenny crowd, even if they didn't "fall in love."  Worthless, not funny and complete slap in the face of not only Shamy fans, but Lenny's as well.  

If I was Lenny shipper, I'd say the season 8 finale as well.  What the hell?  You make the good guy the ass hole?  So OOC for Leonard!  Just terrible.  Loved the Shamy part, but damn... Leonard.. Damn...

I agree with you on the finale. The intimacy acceleration wasn't the worst. Lenny fans didn't like it because Lenny wasn't together. Sheldon wasn't anymore OOC  in this episode than in the prom episode.

Both Episodes showed Sheldon has no idea what Love really is.  If he can say it so easy to Amy, then try and fall in love with Penny.  It cancels each other in my opinion.  But, that's what this thread is all about: opinion.  

Still say it was the worst EP  But that's okay, I am sure Shennys loved it.  

You make the good guy the ass hole?  So OOC for Leonard!

Have to disagree with you there hazelra.

From past episodes, it's quite in character for Leonard.

I'm with Stephen on Fish Guts. It's one of my favorites!

One of my favorites too, along with Robotic manipulation, Agreement Dissection, and Closure Alternative.

• Like 1

I absolutely adore 'Fish Guts', it's one of the best episodes of Season 6. And I'm a Shamy shipper so I guess I'm biased towards 'Prom' haha.

I'm still on the fence about 8x24...I wasn't a fan of the Lenny storyline but I'm still not sure what I think of Shamy's...

• Like 1

I'm not overly bothered by what happened in 8x24.

I'm far more concerned about what will happen, next season.

After all Amy's put up with over the years, I can understand why she'd want to take a break...I just didn't expect it to happen in the finale, that's all. 

I think the main reason I'm on the fence is because I got my hopes up a little bit too much for something like a proposal, coitus or cohabitation. As a result, I was so disappointed with what we got instead :(  But I've had my time to mull over it and I think it's all for the best. It can only mean a healthier and stronger relationship for Shamy in the future.

I think the Lenny storyline was pretty lousy though and IMO only turned out the way it did because the writers wanted a bit of drama for the season finale. Slack, slack, slack!

So yeah. 8x24 certainly isn't the "worst episode EVER" but I don't plan on rewatching it anytime soon...

Edited by The Mushroom Log