teleportation?

penny fan club

Ok right apparently if teleportation is possible what they will do is break apart every atom in your body and then a computer will reconstruct you exactly the same somewhere else, I am no expert but will this not hurt like hell?

Ok right apparently if teleportation is possible what they will do is break apart every atom in your body and then a computer will reconstruct you exactly the same somewhere else, I am no expert but will this not hurt like hell?

I'd never even considered it hurting... depends where they start scanning/destroying your atoms to get their quantum information...

My issue with teleportation though, is that if you scan my quantum information which would break down my atoms, then send that information to the moon and am reassembled somewhere else from a raw pile of matter, is it even really me anymore? It sounds like me#1 just dies and stops existing. From his perspective, it would just be lights out, game over. The new me would be a perfectly seperate entity that just happens to have all my memories and from his perspective has led a full life. It makes ya wonder what makes you you. Do you have a soul? Would that get teleported too?

That being said, teleportation to me sounds like a pipe dream. Conservation of energy says that if you teleport all my atoms from point A to B, they will have the same momentum and energy as before. If you teleport me from the US to China, all my atoms are travelling with an angular moment and velocity that matches the rotation of the Earth. If you suddnly were put on the other side of the world, you'd still have the previous momentum, but are now on the side of the Earth where everything else has momentum in the opposite direction. You'd teleport there then immediately go flying through the wall at about 1000 mph.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Teleportation has been achieved in laboratory with very small particles, but I don't think it would work with living creatures. I dunno. I would guess that when the decomposition takes place, the heart would stop, and so would the brain, and boom, you're dead.

It could work for inanimated objects, it is physically possible, but as I said, it gets complicated on living things.

I'd never even considered it hurting... depends where they start scanning/destroying your atoms to get their quantum information...

My issue with teleportation though, is that if you scan my quantum information which would break down my atoms, then send that information to the moon and am reassembled somewhere else from a raw pile of matter, is it even really me anymore? It sounds like me#1 just dies and stops existing. From his perspective, it would just be lights out, game over. The new me would be a perfectly seperate entity that just happens to have all my memories and from his perspective has led a full life. It makes ya wonder what makes you you. Do you have a soul? Would that get teleported too?

That being said, teleportation to me sounds like a pipe dream. Conservation of energy says that if you teleport all my atoms from point A to B, they will have the same momentum and energy as before. If you teleport me from the US to China, all my atoms are travelling with an angular moment and velocity that matches the rotation of the Earth. If you suddnly were put on the other side of the world, you'd still have the previous momentum, but are now on the side of the Earth where everything else has momentum in the opposite direction. You'd teleport there then immediately go flying through the wall at about 1000 mph.

Aside from teleportation I've always wondered about what the soul and consciousness really is. Are we all really seperate entities or are we all just a part of one entity? That leads to my question. If I didn't exist, then how can it be proven that the universe exists without my awareness of it. Like you said, what makes you you? What really is I or myself?

So help me me.

Are we all really seperate entities or are we all just a part of one entity?

Like the borg.... :icon_cheesygrin:

Interesting comparison. To be honest with you I would have not known where that term "borg" came from if i had not looked it up. Although I loved the first five Star Trek Movies, and the 2009 movie, I was only a little bit into the original series and hardly ever watched Next Generation or Voyager.

Are we all really seperate entities or are we all just a part of one entity?

Like the borg.... :icon_cheesygrin:

Interesting comparison. To be honest with you I would have not known where that term "borg" came from if i had not looked it up. Although I loved the first five Star Trek Movies, and the 2009 movie, I was only a little bit into the original series and hardly ever watched Next Generation or Voyager.

Sorry I just kind of assume but a lot of fans have never even seen Start Trek at all. Voyager was always on TV in the 90s early 00s so I ended up watching it a lot. :icon_cheesygrin: