Sign in to follow this  
ShellyBean

Old Sheldon vs New Sheldon

Which Sheldon do you like better?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sheldon do you like better?

• Old (seasons 1-3)
    • New (seasons 4-5)

So another season comes to an end. When looking back at all these seasons we can see how much Sheldon has changed from season to season. What I miss most on this show is the old-obnoxious-robot-like-never-smiling Sheldon. He is the main reason that set this show apart from every other sitcom out there, he used to represent the lives of nerds and geeks all over the world, and if this show comes to Amy and Sheldon having sex in season 6, I'm going to run over a hobo.

So like the poll says would you like to see Sheldon going back to his old self or do you like the way he is and where his character seems to be going ?

Oh and yes, a lot of people including myself started noticing that Jim started gaining weight halfway through season 5, and when he plays the character of Sheldon, it seems a bit out of character if you know what I mean. For e.g, look back at Pilot from season 1 and now, it's almost like 2 completely different people! Thankfully,Kunal(Raj), Simon(Howard) and Johnny(Leonard) all look pretty much the same, so that's a plus. So what do you think about that?

• Like 2

I agree about old Sheldon. My issue with new Sheldon is not with the development of the Shamy. Its the changing of the laugh, the silly childishness, his non-adherence to the relationship agreement. Sheldon should act like Sheldon...

I don't mind the weight change. Jim said he was too thin from running too much. They just need to give Sheldon some new shirts that don't look so tight.

I miss all of the characters from the early seasons.

I include in this the original Howard. I think it is odd that they got rid of the original Howard and then replaced that character with another character that is almost completely different but who has the same name and is played by the same actor. I've never seen this before.

I couldn't care less about the weight gain.

I miss all of the characters from the early seasons.

I include in this the original Howard. I think it is odd that they got rid of the original Howard and then replaced that character with another character that is almost completely different but who has the same name and is played by the same actor. I've never seen this before.

I couldn't care less about the weight gain.

Howard..hmm, well, he used to be a disgusting pervert when he was single so I didn't mind it when he got a girlfriend because it's just one of the things that kind of started to get boring when he failed and failed to hit on girls(even Penny), so yes, Howard's character development was nicely done , but here and then I do miss the old hopeless Howard. I just hope we get to see more of his Engineering/Space projects in his lab next season.

If anyone has read any of my posts, you'd already know what I am about to write.

Season 1-3 Sheldon (and everyone else) is what I prefer.

It is the introduction of the now "regular" female characters, their female "circle", and the interaction with the guys (for the sake of creating "relationships") that caused the male characters that we knew and loved, to forcibly "adapt" (change) into what they have now become - regular and boring.

Bring the show back to its roots, let the show be about the guys being themselves, and let us laugh and enjoy the show again.

And BTW, Sheldon as a logic-centric robotic never-smiling genius was very unique and entertaining.

RIP Sheldon of Seasons 1-3.

If anyone has read any of my posts, you'd already know what I am about to write.

Season 1-3 Sheldon (and everyone else) is what I prefer.

It is the introduction of the now "regular" female characters, their female "circle", and the interaction with the guys (for the sake of creating "relationships") that caused the male characters that we knew and loved, to forcibly "adapt" (change) into what they have now become - regular and boring.

Bring the show back to its roots, let the show be about the guys being themselves, and let us laugh and enjoy the show again.

And BTW, Sheldon as a logic-centric robotic never-smiling genius was very unique and entertaining.

RIP Sheldon of Seasons 1-3.

Oh come on. Growth in the characters is a great thing.

Just imagine an episode with Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Raj all sitting in the living room drinking beer and watching football. They are all happily married with children - Raj's mutism is long gone. They talk about how much money they made by selling off their old comic books and other nerdy junk.

They talk about their kids and how much it's going to cost to send them to school. Then they talk about their investments and where they are going to go on their vacations. Then they reminice about the old days when they would spend days gaming, but they can't do that any more because they have to cut the grass and fix the gutters before the winter.

What a fabulous vision. I just love the evolution of the gang just like in real life. Just think - one day they will be perfectly normal, everyday, run of the mill guys.

Just imagine an episode with Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Raj all sitting in the living room drinking beer and watching football. They are all happily married with children - Raj's mutism is long gone. They talk about how much money they made by selling off their old comic books and other nerdy junk.

They talk about their kids and how much it's going to cost to send them to school. Then they talk about their investments and where they are going to go on their vacations. Then they reminice about the old days when they would spend days gaming, but they can't do that any more because they have to cut the grass and fix the gutters before the winter.

KMN!!!!!!

I think the "old" Sheldon is a myth. The first season took a while to fine tune the character. I don't think he was as obnoxious in the first half half of the first season as he later became.

But don't you want the characters to evolve, and be happy, and hold hands? I really hope they all live happily ever after because isn't that the ultimate goal of a sitcom?

My fondest hope is a full 22 minute final finale when the show is going off the air with Amy and Sheldon sitting in rocking chairs on a porch when they are 80. Just rocking back and forth, back and forth.

I agree about old Sheldon. My issue with new Sheldon is not with the development of the Shamy. Its the changing of the laugh, the silly childishness, his non-adherence to the relationship agreement. Sheldon should act like Sheldon...

I don't mind the weight change. Jim said he was too thin from running too much. They just need to give Sheldon some new shirts that don't look so tight.

I agree with this...although the weight gain did change the character more for me.

Actually although I've noticed a lot of change in s5, I didn't see a change in Sheldon in s4. Could someone explain to me what these were?

But don't you want the characters to evolve, and be happy, and hold hands? I really hope they all live happily ever after because isn't that the ultimate goal of a sitcom?

Exactly. That's what made The Waltons such a great sitcom.

While I know this is primarily a rant thread and I'd do better not to look in (and y'all know what I'm going to say anyway), just putting this out there:

By the winter of 2011 Mr. Parsons had won his first Emmy for “Big Bang†and was midway through Season 4 when he felt he was “spinning my wheels†as an actor, and began looking to do a play again.

This is a quote from Jim's recent interview, where he happens to mention that he had started getting bored of playing Sheldon around halfway through season 4. It's possible that the writers sensed this, because it was after that time that they effected a bit more character growth in Sheldon, as well as the development of the Sheldon/Amy relationship.

Well, I prefer the old Sheldon in attitude but you have your work cut out here, lads. The new Sheldon is just too damn sexy. :icon_redface: The way he always drops his eye lashes and all those shy glances are sensual enough anyway, even without the new physique. I prefer the acting of the old Sheldon but the new Sheldon, core bleedin' blimey!

(and yes I do know, do I care? do I heck)

While I know this is primarily a rant thread and I'd do better not to look in (and y'all know what I'm going to say anyway), just putting this out there:

By the winter of 2011 Mr. Parsons had won his first Emmy for “Big Bang†and was midway through Season 4 when he felt he was “spinning my wheels†as an actor, and began looking to do a play again.

This is a quote from Jim's recent interview, where he happens to mention that he had started getting bored of playing Sheldon around halfway through season 4. It's possible that the writers sensed this, because it was after that time that they effected a bit more character growth in Sheldon, as well as the development of the Sheldon/Amy relationship.

And that is the downfall of most shows. The actors and writers get bored and veer away from what made the show great. It's hard to keep the magic alive.

Except that, as we discussed, 'great' and 'downfall' are being defined very subjectively here. Almost ever objective measure points to the show going through its peak time right now.

And even if I concede that having more relationship focus makes the show more 'mainstream' in general (and hence less unique), I still insist that the Sheldon/Amy relationship is as unique and wonderfully quirky as it could possibly be, and clearly they're putting some effort into writing it carefully.

But let's agree to disagree.

Old sheldon was much funnier he is now less socially awkward more understanding and in a RELATIONSHIP I mean wtf this is not the unaired pilot continuation this is the good version and i fully understand the characters have to grow but grow does not mean change and bernedette is much funnier than amy

Down with shamy!!!

They evolved becuase of the women on the show, bernadtte, amy, penny NO OTHER REASO

Yes true, the best example is Raj, he is still the same old whiny guy mainly because he never had a proper girlfriend. Howard stopped having sex with World of Warcraft characters because he was getting sex in real life, he also said no strippers for his bachelor party..Leonard got out of his habit of looking at the ceiling or down at his shoes when talking to women..I can name loads more but yes, that's character development.. but we have to remember that Sheldon is....Sheldon! He showed no interest in peoples' lives till he met Amy, even through season 4 in their Skype video chats he only wanted have a relationship with Amy on an intellectual level. So yes, Amy changing Sheldon is a no no. I find Amy annoying at times for e.g how she got carried away with the maid of honor thing..god that was hard to watch.. episode after episode..

I say bring back the Sheldon we all loved for season 6!

People change and grow, including our dear Dr. Sheldon Cooper. I think the show does a tolerable (not perfect, but decent) job of allowing these characters to grow while retaining their inherent geekiness. Sheldon's evolution sort of reminds me of the later seasons of Daria--while I will never get what she saw in Tom, I really liked how her experiences in that relationship allowed her to grow out of her shell a bit while retaining her essential Daria-ness. Being a nerd and being able to have a genuine romantic relationship are NOT mutually exclusive. Said relationship will probably never look like the societal norm, and thank God for that.

I would agree that people develop, and it's nice to see Howard grow up (I really didn't care for the old Howard), but I think Sheldon should be like his copy of Flash #123; the same mint copy, hermetically sealed whilst all the other comics are exposed to sunlight, wear and tear and the experience of being used. Sheldon knows all he needs to know about science but he should always be in the dark with human feelings and emotions.

i pick the old sheldon,

as the seasons go on he will grow,

not stay the same "old sheldon".

Sheldon will always be somewhat in the dark about human emotions. He's just making the attempt now re:the few things he actually cares about, which is intriguing to watch especially since I don't think he yet realizes he's slowly turning into a real boy.

Sheldon will always be somewhat in the dark about human emotions. He's just making the attempt now re:the few things he actually cares about, which is intriguing to watch especially since I don't think he yet realizes he's slowly turning into a real boy.

Yes, the most fascinating thing about it is that he's still to a great extent in the dark about his own emotions, but they come upon him in moments of half-consciousness. Like when Leonard commented to Mary Cooper that Sheldon's relationship with Amy is like the Loch ness monster. Sheldon responded with a long moment of silence, in which he seemed to consider; the look of confusion on his face was priceless.

Biggest question is why he would change after all this time ? I am fine as long as he tries to learn sarcasm, facial expressions, different social protocols but Sheldon taking Amy's hand was very unlike him, he just violated his own relationship agreement section 5 ; hand holding. xD

As long as Sheldon is not going to have sex with Amy in season 6, I'm good.

Biggest question is why he would change after all this time ? I am fine as long as he tries to learn sarcasm, facial expressions, different social protocols but Sheldon taking Amy's hand was very unlike him, he just violated his own relationship agreement section 5 ; hand holding. xD

Because a part of him now wants to change, and has figured out (at least unconsciously) that Amy won't hurt him. As Spock reminded us, Sheldon is and has always been "half-human", and all the rules and quirks are an excellent way to protect oneself from being hurt. I'm also not at all sure that Sheldon consciouly chose to hold Amy's hand--my guess is that it was pure reflex.

I see it as an extension of the clause that said that hand-holding is ok for moral support during flu shots. It may not be a flu shot, but it's definitely moral support. :icon_cheesygrin: