Raj's Sexuality

So this thread is for everyone to speculate and discuss whether Raj is straight, bi, gay or metrosexual(whatever that is). As for me, I think that Raj is definitely not straight, he is still in the closet. Here are the biggest hints from all 5 seasons,

* In season 1 we see Raj hugging Howard for a long time for him to smell Penny's perfume, neither of them realized what they were doing was extremely gay.

* Raj says "it was a bonding moment" when the guys slept together naked when the heat went out at the North Pole.

* Raj mentions in the Halloween party that he has trouble talking to effeminate men, then eends up sleeping with a random girl from the party.

* Raj and Howard go disco roller skating (o_0)

* Howard goes on a date with Raj to make up for him losing his Patang fighting kite to Sheldon.

* Raj says he kissed a guy from Comin con. (The Codpiece Topology S2E2)

* Raj's dream about the secret tunnel that connects the front yard of Howard's mansion to his backyard.

* Raj kissing Howard with the internet kissing device Howard made for Leonard and Priya's long distance relationship. I was like what the hell in this episode, they were kissing and biting each other's lips for almost 30 seconds.

* Raj says he walked into a gay bar and no one hit on him. (tries to cover up by saying "it happened to a friend of mine")

* Raj's "man purse" for his new puppy.

"Metrosexual my ass!" I love Raj but I think it's time for him to come out, either that or the writers stop with the gay hints and get him a girlfriend. What do you think ? :)

The writers have been dropping hints for a long time that Raj may be gay. One thing that needs to be mentioned is cultural differences. Some things that are normal for men to do with each other may look like something that only a gay couple would do to people from our culture. Having a man purse is one of them. Frankly I don't have a problem one way or the other.

Ok no raj is not gay and all the proof I need is the fact that his selective Mutism is towards women (effeminate men was just a joke) his selective mutism is obviously through a lack of confidence and unless he was straight then why would he have a lack of confidence with women. The Howard and Raj thing is just bromance, he has also had sex with more differnt women than any of the guys. If Raj ever turns out gay it will be because the writers weren't sure were to take his character to.

Raj the metrosexual should be played more like Fes from that 70s show if he's straight. Raj being gay is fine but I have a feeling that the writers will never pick a side for comedy purposes.

Maybe Raj's mutism with women is not sexually related but because he finds all women intimidating. He can't talk to elderly women as well as those closer to his own age. As for him having slept with women as proof as him not being gay, I have heard many stories of married men with children who come out and declare that they are gay. There have been many instances where Raj has made comments to Howard that were way over the line for a simple bromance, not to mention his fond recollections of how they all had to get naked and sleep together when at the North pole and the heat went out. Perhaps there is a reason that they had Bernadette say "metrosexual my ass".

I don't think Raj is gay myself. There's plenty of girly boys out there who are camp as anything but straight. A few of my friends fall in to this category. As I posted previously, all I want is for them to make Raj happier… no more sad weepy Raj! If they want to have him gay, so be it.

^Yeah there are men like that but the show is refusing to give him a girlfriend, playing up the girlishness and the feelings he has for Howard makes it come off like he's gay or at the very least, curious. I do agree no more sad Raj.. The show has done a decent job growing characters (in good way for some viewers and bad way for other viewers ) but if Raj next season is the same, weepy guy I'd rather he go home to India.

Maybe Raj's mutism with women is not sexually related but because he finds all women intimidating. He can't talk to elderly women as well as those closer to his own age. As for him having slept with women as proof as him not being gay, I have heard many stories of married men with children who come out and declare that they are gay. There have been many instances where Raj has made comments to Howard that were way over the line for a simple bromance, not to mention his fond recollections of how they all had to get naked and sleep together when at the North pole and the heat went out.

ok no knowing gay man willingly has sex with women these guys with kids that turn out gay just didn't know it yet I mean if you went into a gay bar because it was the only place you could get a drink would you willingly suck on a fat one to keep people from finding out I doubt it lol and the north pole thing could be them trying to show cultural diversity were the guys want to forget and Raj views it as a bonding experience.

The writers use Raj and Howards Bromance as a comedic device and it has provided us with many funny moments. I don't think they should change Rajs character except maybe to make him not so sad, I don't want to end up pitying him.

Maybe Raj's mutism with women is not sexually related but because he finds all women intimidating. He can't talk to elderly women as well as those closer to his own age. As for him having slept with women as proof as him not being gay, I have heard many stories of married men with children who come out and declare that they are gay. There have been many instances where Raj has made comments to Howard that were way over the line for a simple bromance, not to mention his fond recollections of how they all had to get naked and sleep together when at the North pole and the heat went out.

ok no knowing gay man willingly has sex with women these guys with kids that turn out gay just didn't know it yet I mean if you went into a gay bar because it was the only place you could get a drink would you willingly suck on a fat one to keep people from finding out I doubt it lol and the north pole thing could be them trying to show cultural diversity were the guys want to forget and Raj views it as a bonding experience.

No... they know it. Whether they are willing to admit to it, given prevailing circumstances that are unfavourable to them...is an entirely different matter.

These days, it's much easier to be "out of the closet"...and far less likely that a homosexual will enter into a heterosexual relationship, only to "discover themsleves" later. In the past, it was a different story.

Also, religious upbringing can have an effect on these things.

IMHO, Raj isn't gay... he's just getting badly written for cheap laughs.

I loved it this season when he defended his love of 'Sandy B films', saying that she was "great in everything" LOL

ha ha

Matt

True and watching his calorie intake. Thats not a bad thing. :icon_cheesygrin:

I don't think Raj is gay myself. There's plenty of girly boys out there who are camp as anything but straight. A few of my friends fall in to this category. As I posted previously, all I want is for them to make Raj happier… no more sad weepy Raj! If they want to have him gay, so be it.

Totally "Agree" here they had the episode on last night with Sheldon's sister in it and it's one of my fav's watching them get shot down by Her and how She was with "Shelly" laughs all around.Found it sad though when the only guy that had a shot at the "Gold" had to settle for the "Bronze" :icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry:

Agravation point for me was "why" the two very different reactions to his pharmacy courage so to speak which by the way is much more enjoyable for me than the alchohol.I mean the hand shaking "tick" was much funier then the "nudist" effect IMHO.It has been my hope that this would be the cure for his mutism a simple "wonder" pill and be done with it because he makes for a less than desirable drunk for me.

Have to agree on another point that I think maybe is a little hard to digest for some.That his "sexuality" is more culture based were things we might find one way is maybe just the "Norm" in his.Just a humble opinion here on this as I really like Raj he has provided some truely "Epic" moments for the show and "Yes" He has had some less than desirable ones as well just don't want to see a "Original" cast member be cast aside due to poor writing.

I don't think Raj is a closeted, confused or conflicted homosexual. Raj is very interested in, and desperately wants, a relationship with a woman. I don't think the writers have figured out a way to make that happen.

To me Raj is the least developed and unnecessary character on TBBT. If he's going to continue as he is then they should just write him off the show. I am not advocating that, but they need to do something with him. He has no relationship, his best friend just got married, and as recently as the Siri episode he was still sharing an office with Sheldon. The man needs some forward progress.

I think Raj can turn out either way. He's sexuality ambigous, attracted to girls, but I can also easily imagine him in the relationship with a guy. Raj doesn't know himself, yet. The writers probably haven't made up their minds.

:icon_question: So are we gonna "Ship" the "Raj" here or what, like what's the worst they can do to us "public stoning"...."burned at the stake" support TBBT's "Bad Boy" let's help him be all He can be!

The following was a paid advertisement and no way reflects the personal views or opinions of all parties involved thank you.....

:icon_twisted:"BAZINGA" :icon_twisted:

To me Raj is the least developed and unnecessary character on TBBT. If he's going to continue as he is then they should just write him off the show. I am not advocating that, but they need to do something with him. He has no relationship, his best friend just got married, and as recently as the Siri episode he was still sharing an office with Sheldon. The man needs some forward progress.

Are you serious?

I will admit he is the least developed main character but he is far from unnecessary on this show. Right now, with the way the show has developed he is basically the only character that separates this cast from COUNTLESS other TV shows with boy-girl relationships.

He is the only character who shows a real difficulty is balancing his superior intellect with his attempt at socializing with people, more specifically, girls. That used to be the problem with all the guy main characters: Leonard, Sheldon, Howard. But now all those guys have functioning relationships. Leonard has had plenty of success in dating since the start of the show (including numerous inexplicable one-night stands), so too has Howard (if you believe what he says).

With that said, I will say that, yes, I would like to see Raj overcome his selective mutism at some point in the course of the series but I think it should only come after one or two of the other main guys lose out on their relationships.

Otherwise, what's the point? A show about nerdy scientists who all have functioning and satisfying relationships with a female? Boy, isn't that exciting! (/Sheldon sarcasm disclaimer)

Sadly, I can relate to Raj's lonliness more than I can anyone or anything else on the show. Not his mutism, his lonliness. It's the only real thing on the show. Most nerds aren't doctors at the top of their field who are chosen to be an astronaut or picked to be in magazines. Raj's awkwardness around women, while exaggerated, is quite relatable.

All I ask is that if they do somehow fix his mutism, he doesn't just turn into some smooth talking stud who suddenly has a gf. I'd like them to make it so he can talk, but still struggles through the awkwardness of trying to be with a girl.

I hope we'll see a big arc for Raj in season 6. It's long overdue!

Especially now, when Raj's loneliness will be even more pronounced. His best friend is married to a girl that Raj also likes, his other friends are preoccupied with their own relationships... He needs to do something to get out of his shell!

I will be very disappointed if Raj turns gay. I would prefer him find a girl to whom he can talk, and once he's comfortable with that one special girl, he won't worry anymore about talking to other women. He'll never become a smooth talker, but at least his selective mutism will be cured.

I don't think that Raj is gay, but I do think that there are signs that TPTB may be having go that way. I think that the most recent sign of that is Bernadette's statement of "Metrosexual my ass". This has me wondering about the direction that they have the character going. I also have some anxiety as to his remaining on the show now that Howard is married. Right now he is more or less a 5th wheel. Howard will have Bernadette and newlyweds need some time alone, Leonard has Penny, and Sheldon has Amy. That leaves Raj hanging out there alone.

I have hopes that where they go with the character is him finding a girl that he is comfortable enough with that he is able to speak in front of her, although perhaps not other girls. I think it would be funny if there was a gathering in Sheldon and Leonard's apartment, with Howard, Bernadette, Penny, Raj, and his new girlfriend, and he had to whisper his comments in her ear the way he used to have to in Howard's. If that did happen, I wonder if Howard would be a little jealous?

I don't think that Raj is gay, but I do think that there are signs that TPTB may be having go that way. I think that the most recent sign of that is Bernadette's statement of "Metrosexual my ass". This has me wondering about the direction that they have the character going. I also have some anxiety as to his remaining on the show now that Howard is married. Right now he is more or less a 5th wheel. Howard will have Bernadette and newlyweds need some time alone, Leonard has Penny, and Sheldon has Amy. That leaves Raj hanging out there alone.

I have hopes that where they go with the character is him finding a girl that he is comfortable enough with that he is able to speak in front of her, although perhaps not other girls. I think it would be funny if there was a gathering in Sheldon and Leonard's apartment, with Howard, Bernadette, Penny, Raj, and his new girlfriend, and he had to whisper his comments in her ear the way he used to have to in Howard's. If that did happen, I wonder if Howard would be a little jealous?

The "metrosexual my arse" comment means little, if nothing. Kyzzx was at the taping of that show and she has explained that this line was a last minute change, because the original one didn't get a laugh. I do not think he's gay because he has considered this himself at great length and decided that he is not. But he is a TV character, so they could do with him as they will.

I don't think Raj is gay. He's had at least two enjoyable sexual encounters with women as far as I can remember (Penny and a fat lady - anyone else?) I think it would be a huge mistake to make him a gay character - not only would it would take away the amusement of a straight man liking typically 'girly' things - chick flicks, chick lit, etc, but make a nonesense of his mutism. Why would a gay man be sexualy intimidated by women?

I still say Raj should have a sex change operation and become a lesbian. That fits the character as they have written him. Of course, that only takes care of his sexual orientation. It doesn't help the fact that he is a sleazy, backstabbing, friend betraying delusional.

I never said that he is gay but the writers have taken it a bit too far with the gay jokes for us to BELIEVE that he is perfectly straight..it has been going on for so long I feel sorry for Raj he is the only one who hasn't had a proper girlfriend (Emily/the deaf girl doesn't count she was only in one episode). Yes I know he desperately wants a girlfriend but that's not possible with his selective mutism, and his whining doesn't help, and I never liked any of the Indian girls Raj's parents arranged for him to date..-e.g Lalita, Lakshmi, etc. So yes, no more Indian chicks for Raj!

I think it would be a huge mistake to make him a gay character - not only would it would take away the amusement of a straight man liking typically 'girly' things - chick flicks, chick lit, etc, but make a nonesense of his mutism. Why would a gay man be sexualy intimidated by women?

I think making Raj gay would be a cowardly cop-out for the character - ooh, how sad, he's shy and can't talk to women, lets solve that problem by forgetting about women altogether instead of having Raj to fight for himself and face that problem straight on!