The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lazyking

Your favorite sitcoms other than TBBT?

I have to preface this by saying I don't watch alot of sitcoms. Most times, I watch them thru reruns and my favorites turned out to be shows like:

King of Queens

Seinfeld

That's 70 show

Pretty much it before I started watching TBBT. Now that I'm all caught up with TBBT, I've ventured out to Modern Family and How I met your mother.

What about your favorites?

Well I like House, Adventure time, Scrubs, Monk, Twilght zone, Two and a half men, Friends, How I met your mother, Southpark, Futurama, King of the hill, Simpsons, Family guy, American dad, What I like about you, Degrassi(but they killed off ADAM), Drake and josh, till death, Rick and morty. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan
  • Like 1

Rick and Morty... That's created by DAN HARMON! What is it like? I'm a lover of Community but I've heard it's very different from that.

What is rick and morty like? Well I would say it has similar style to "SuperJail" which is also on adult swim. However most of rick and morty despite being on during the adult swim hours is not very graphic or riddled with a lot of explicit sexual content. Not really sure how I would describe "Rick and morty" but its what I was expecting from the previews. It does seem to go over everyday issues though. Such as "Its Christmas everyone is texting. Why does everyone ignore each other for electronics" and basically mocks stuff that seems to be happening more in the 2ooos than any other generation. However seems very tame considering what they could possibly get away with but wont generally go to. Most of the show is focused around rick and morty and issues they end up having with themselves. It seems more character based than anything and seems to focus on the characters problem more than developing the story background. I guess if I had to classify it as something I would say its a coming of age story since it deals with the problems Morty goes through and feels. 

• Like 1

I love Superjail. So much. I'm going to have to try this programme.

I like SuperJail as well. I don't know why but I really like it. I like the purple hat guy that owned the superJail. Though just so you know "Rick and Morty" had aired awhile ago and while I dont catch every single new episode know that they are a little bit along in the series. Just so you know. 

• Like 1

Can't decide whether I like Ricky Gervais' Derek or not (although I bloody love Kev -genius performance-).

A post in another thread reminded me how much I used to love The Fast Show...this character in particular.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wOhtk3C3A

Dads Army

Blackadder (s)

The Young Ones

The Comedy Strip (s)

My Name is Earl

Home Improvement

Gary Shandling Show

Larry Sanders

there will be more..buried deep

• Like 1

Just heard that Rik Mayall died today.

How utterly tragic, he was only 56.

So, so sad right now.

Community? Diddnt really warm to it, aired over here thought it was a filler show. A tad obsecure for me, maybe not as mainstream as Big Bang Theory. Yeah Re Rick Mayall, he was in The Young Ones right? Yep Sad.

Before i became obsessed with Tbbt... Friends was my show....umm I love boy meets world...... Mainly the later seasons when they were in college... Umm ... George Lopez.... My wife and Kids........ I don't really watch a lot of new sitcoms.....just cause I'm lazy and don't feel like getting into anything new....oh I loooovee The Nanny and Roseanne ...( Johnny was/still is a cutie).........ummmm I liked Fran Dreschers new show happily divorced but it was canceled ...

Edited by Sheldonswife

Happily Divorced airs here on Thursdays i think, pretty good and pretty stupid haha. Not a first impression sitcom, can come across desperate and contrived, but Frans so zany and quirky, it can be funny. I can see why it was cancelled though alot of upstart shows in this day in age get cancelled. Another show i liked is Go On, starred Matthew Perry of Friends, really different kinda the supeior version of Charlie Sheens Anger Management haha. But yeah Friends to me is still the greatest comedy series ever, shows like The Young Ones was the original, and started that whole ensemble piece comedy. But Friends redefined it, really was groundbreaking in terms of the dialogue. And until a comedy series comes along that had the same impact on pop culture Friends had it always well be #1 imo, at least in the states anyway, you could argue to wasent for Friends their would be no Scrubs or even to a lesser extent Gilmore Girls, they really took the witty banter dialogue ball and ran with it.

I grew up watching the Simpsons and Friends and still love those shows as much as ever. Although haven't seen the past 5 or more seasons of the Simpsons.

I loved "Who's the Boss" ( huge fan!!! ) , then the "Nanny", Friends, TBBT ( HUGE FAN!!!) and New Girl  but i watch everything anyway. :)

( i think the fact that there is a forum about TBBT helped me become a bigger fan... but who's the boss will always be number 1 for me, with tbbt coming in at number 2 - because of Shamy)

Edited by Kelli

Yeah Community not sure about that, it was only on once in NZ on a kinda filler network, thought it was a cheap knockoff of TBBT haha, but maybe it was just a bad first impression, never warmed to it though. I also liked HIMYM still watch reruns, although it can become a bit melodramatic, and really stale, pretty much a standard rom com, but eps like SlapBet are really good. Loved Two and a half men first five seasons. But yeah other then the TBBT I don't really watch any other comeidies, over here the comedy line up is Two and a half men on Tuesdays with Mom, and Wednesdays Big Bang Theory and Two Broke Girls which is quite simply the most stereotypical comedy ever, its really stupid and boring IMO.

Edited by 3ku11

I like Community, but I hate how some fans and some members of the cast and crew hate The Big Bang Theory.

The little show that could vs the big show that does syndrome. Although I love the show myself, just not on the same level as BBT.

Favourite sitcoms (possibly showing my age)

MASH

WKRP in Cincinnati

Soap

Cheers

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder

Family Ties

Seinfeld

Friends

Simpsons

Frasier

Thank god for cable!

Edited by Itwasdestined

Yeah I think it is a small show vs big show syndrome haha, I mean Community is a cute show and regardless of the many similarities, it is not anything else other then Community, I like it although wasen't so impressed, but it's not on the same level as BBT, it just feels cute compared to BBT, kinda like Himym and Friends. The current comedies airing over here on Tuesday and Wednesday Nights are; Mom, Two and a Half men, then on Wednesdays BBT at 8:45pm, then 2 Broke Girls at 9:25 pm. But Friend's is still being played in syndication every night at 6:00 pm every week day, still think it is the best sitcom ever. But I also liked Seinfeild, Scrubs, Gilmore Girls was good for the first four seasons until Rory rejected Jess lol, and Rory became stuck up. And clearly Two and a half men I Feel was underrated, as it got a rep for hedonistic and sleazy, but it was really a charming series, a lot of funny touching moments, that you need to buy the dvds particularly the first three seasons, to see the heart of the show. I don't like Two broke girls, I do like the blonde haha, and the two female leads have potential, but the script is full of stereotypes and clichies. I like New Girl only sitcom that comes near TBBT, I also liked HIMYM, didn't like it when Barney and Robin started dating though. And over here in NZ we have a new channel called Jones! It plays all the classic sitcoms and tv shows from the 50's-late 80's. It plays Family Ties, Walker, Texas, Ranger, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Hawaii five-o, Matlock, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Laverne and Shirley, Dad's Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Frasier, Minder, The Mod Squad e.t.c. That's just all the shows they play off the top of my head lol, the only show's that I am familiar with are Family Ties and Frasier.

Edited by 3ku11

Yeah I think it is a small show vs big show syndrome haha, I mean Community is a cute show and regardless of the many similarities, it is not anything else other then Community, I like it although wasen't so impressed, but it's not on the same level as BBT, it just feels cute compared to BBT, kinda like Himym and Friends. The current comedies airing over here on Tuesday and Wednesday Nights are; Mom, Two and a Half men, then on Wednesdays BBT at 8:45pm, then 2 Broke Girls at 9:25 pm. But Friend's is still being played in syndication every night at 6:00 pm every week day, still think it is the best sitcom ever. But I also liked Seinfeild, Scrubs, Gilmore Girls was good for the first four seasons until Rory rejected Jess lol, and Rory became stuck up. And clearly Two and a half men I Feel was underrated, as it got a rep for hedonistic and sleazy, but it was really a charming series, a lot of funny touching moments, that you need to buy the dvds particularly the first three seasons, to see the heart of the show. I don't like Two broke girls, I do like the blonde haha, and the two female leads have potential, but the script is full of stereotypes and clichies. I like New Girl only sitcom that comes near TBBT, I also liked HIMYM, didn't like it when Barney and Robin started dating though. And over here in NZ we have a new channel called Jones! It plays all the classic sitcoms and tv shows from the 50's-late 80's. It plays Family Ties, Walker, Texas, Ranger, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Hawaii five-o, Matlock, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Laverne and Shirley, Dad's Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Frasier, Minder, The Mod Squad e.t.c. That's just all the shows they play off the top of my head lol, the only show's that I am familiar with are Family Ties and Frasier.

Is it sad that I am not only familiar but have watched all of them? :laugh:

Is it sad that I am not only familiar but have watched all of them? :laugh:

Haha nah not sad I am kinda familiar with them now because they are played in a continuous loop lol, that's until the next Season. Oh and they play The Brady Bunch too some classic tv their too :p. Family Ties is pretty good, I mean really old fashioned clearly being culture and society from the 80's, but has it's moments Michael J Fox was really funny as Alex, I kinda think Modern Family is a modern version of Family Ties, I think I prefer Family Ties :icon_cheesygrin: .

Edited by 3ku11

I like all kinds of sitcoms. Shame other people don't share that with me :(

No what you mean some people know I liked Two and a half men first four seasons haha. It got a rep for being hedonistic and sleazy, but you watch the dvds it is a very charming series. Friends is my all time favourite sitcom, BBT to me is the best since. I was watching I Love Lucy though, man that's old lol, but was the original sitcom, things have changed since then.