The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lazyking

Your favorite sitcoms other than TBBT?

Huge Friends fan here.  Tied with BBT for my favorite show of all time....Man if social media was around it would have been a dangerous time fo me in the 90s

Older Sitcoms:

-Roseanne

-Everybody Loves Raymond

-King of Queens

-Happy Endings (was very upset when this was canx...it was a Friends replacement for me)

Current Sitcoms:

-Modern Family

-Mom

-Mike & Molly

It's got to be Family Guy for me. So many great episodes, Peter, Stewie, Brian and Quagmire are all characters for the ages. TBBT comes a close second.

Simpsons is alright, Friends was alright, Everybody Loves Raymond was alright, Frasier was alright. Nothing really stood out.

The Fresh Prince was the one other sitcom I enjoyed.

Community, Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Larry Sanders Show, Titus, That 70's Show, and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

• Like 3

Family Guys okay. But you cant compare a cartoon to a tv show lol. It can be very creepy. And tbb i love FG, but its no simpsons cant beat the original. To me Friends is still the greatest comedy series ever, but thats just me.

I have to try That 70s Show. It's by the people who made 3rd Rock From The Sun, isn't it?

Anyone here like Scrubs? It's no Community but I've took a shine to it anyway. I've come to terms with the fact that I will never find a show I like more than Community or Arrested Development...

Yes and The Cosby Show, Roseanne and others

I love Friends, Will & Grace, and 30 Rock.

Currently, the only other sitcoms I watch are Modern Family and Parks & Rec.

There's Company

Friends

Cheers

Seinfeld

The Jeffersons

Maude

Dick Van Dyke Show

All In The Family

Mary Tyler Moore Show

That '70s Show

Home Improvement

Roseanne

Murphy Brown

Everybody Loves Raymond

Frasier

I Love Lucy and Many Many Many More! I love TV!

Current: Parks and Recreation

One Show I began watching yesterday that I am starting to really get into is Blossom! I wish I had watch it lot sooner. I decoded to to try it out of course because of Mayim! And I am really liking it

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

Community? Meh its just a watered down version, and a rip off of Big Bang, watched it once did not find it funny at all. Personally I have never found a comedy series that has ever topped Friends but that is just my opinion. Big Bang is the best comedy on tv these days, maybe if I watched community again I may like it. I find some label or qualify shows or things based on a first experience. Like some did not like Friends based on first impressions, but if you go back and watch all the episodes, or some of them, it can change your mind. Maybe the problem was Commmunity aired on Tv Four, over here most of the shows that don't make the fall schedule on Tv 3, get dumped onto Four, So I just presumed it was a B Grade comedy at best, upstart, flash in a pan that would get cancelled in a few years, Big Bangs at a different level though. Here are some of my favourite comedies other then Big Bang.

Friends

Happy Endings

Scrubs

Two and a half men (With Charlie Sheen)

Modern Family

Family Ties

Curb your Enthusiasm

3ku11, what is your obsession with reacting negatively every time someone mentions Community? 4 times in two pages on this thread! We get it! You're not a fan ( based on one viewing!) but there seem to be several here who appreciate BOTH Big Bang Theory and Community. As someone who has watched every episode ( rather than one ) of Community, I assure you it is not a rip off of Big Bang but like ALL sitcoms, even BBT and Friends, has an occasional episode that doesn't quite hit the mark. But overall, it's bloody hilarious - more off beat, dark, cynical and sarcastic than BBT and Friends, which maybe is why you didn't like it during your one viewing. I know you love offering 'your opinion' but get a bit more background info and experience of a show before critiquing it in front of people who clearly watch every episode, not one.

And yeah, QueenBee, love their paintball episodes ( and they're not a rip off of two minute excerpts of BBT - they last the entire episode) and I, too, am looking forward to Yahoo's Season 6 ( and a Movie?).

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 2

Well not really because it is called free will and freedom of speech, so regardless if I watch one episode or 100 if it, my opinion won't change.

Well, it's pretty hard to have a good debate if someone will never change their opinion regardless of changing evidence! The first time I watched Big Bang, I wasn't overexcited by it. Then I watched it a few more times and look at me now - I never stopping watching it or talking about it.

It's nice to be open minded about things and not judge something on first impressions. I'd still be single and childless if that was the case.

And I'm not sure free will and freedom of speech means never changing your opinion.

But then, that's just my opinion!

• Like 3

3ku11, what is your obsession with reacting negatively every time someone mentions Community? 4 times in two pages on this thread! We get it! You're not a fan ( based on one viewing!) but there seem to be several here who appreciate BOTH Big Bang Theory and Community. As someone who has watched every episode ( rather than one ) of Community, I assure you it is not a rip off of Big Bang but like ALL sitcoms, even BBT and Friends, has an occasional episode that doesn't quite hit the mark. But overall, it's bloody hilarious - more off beat, dark, cynical and sarcastic than BBT and Friends, which maybe is why you didn't like it during your one viewing. I know you love offering 'your opinion' but get a bit more background info and experience of a show before critiquing it in front of people who clearly watch every episode, not one.

And yeah, QueenBee, love their paintball episodes ( and they're not a rip off of two minute excerpts of BBT - they last the entire episode) and I, too, am looking forward to Yahoo's Season 6 ( and a Movie?).

Hmmm - I like shows that are off beat, dark and cynical - see Seinfeld - the only reason I haven't seen Community thus far is the title sounded boring, same goes for The Office and Parks and Recreation, but from your description Community sounds like a show that I might enjoy, and being compared to TBBT is a point in its favor for me :wink:

Does The Simpsons count? lol
er, nope I'm not much into tv shows, that's why me following TBBT the way I do is kinda unexpected. I do watch sometimes reruns of Alf. That was a GREAT show!!!!

3rd Rock from the sun. And if im not mistaken, i believe Sheldons mum (or Mom to you USA ppl) was in an episode of 3rd Rock from the sun, though, i can't remember which season.

F-Troop

Alf

Wilfred (original aussie SBS series)

Russell Coights - All aussie outback adventures

Kath and Kim

Bad Cop - Bad Cop 2002 (never released on VHS or DVD)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307720/

JDVHS

Edited by JDVHS

Seinfeld.

So many good one liners.

"Make love to the wall pervert!"

"I was in the pool!"

"Stellaaaa!"

"You received a phone call, did you not?"

"Well, people kept ringing the bell!"

"Who told you to put the balm on? Did I tell you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why did you put the balm on?"

"I will never understand people!/They're the worst."

• Like 2

Seinfeld

Scrubs

Friends

The New Adventures of Old Christine

Two And A Half Men (with Charlie Sheen)

The Middle

Frasier is my fave of all time. DHP is a god.

My favorite from Frasier is Peri Gilpin.

Sassy and hot as hell. the perfect combination.

Mad About You anyone?

Edited by Stephen Hawking

Community, Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Larry Sanders Show, Titus, That 70's Show, and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

You listed all my favourite shows. Except Titus, never saw that one.

• Like 1

I basically only watch sitcoms so there are so many I love...

Scrubs, how I met your mother, fresh prince of bel-air, my wife and kids, fraiser, friends, Seinfeld, inbetweeners, father ted, the IT crowd, arrested development, Brooklyn 99, and that 70's show

May Tyler Moore, Mork and Mindy, Mash, Cheers, Mad About You, Friends all come to mind quickly.. I liked Two and a half Men too, but only the Charlie Sheen episodes.

FRIENDS then daylight lol was watching Season 2 the other day, show still holds up!!. Two and a half men with Charlie Sheen. Family Guy counts? That show is so polarizing, I can love it then hate it, then love it lol. American Dad is okay too. An oldie, I am only 27 but love Family Ties and I Love Lucy. Episodes with Matt Le Blanc is very funny. How I met your mother I liked for the first 5 seasons. Oh and forgot to say Everybody Loves Raymond is one of the most underrated sitcoms ever, not as popular as say Friends or even Big Bang. But one of the best ever. One of if not the best supporting cast ever too. 

Edited by 3ku11

I just finished Silicon Valley. At first my boyfriend got curious and was just casually mentioning he likes it. Then, he finished all the episodes (there's only been two seasons so far) and made a comment that "It's like Big Bang Theory, but written by smart people". Note that he's not a fan of the show and a Mike Judge fanboy so he said that because he's an insensitive jerk (but is willing to compromise and go out of limb to watch the show for me). If only he wasn't some couple of timezones away, I would have slapped him. But I can't deny I did not get curious so I sacrificed sleep time for a binge-watch. They're still totally different sitcoms but it IS pretty good.

• Like 1