Your favorite sitcoms other than TBBT?

I just finished Silicon Valley. At first my boyfriend got curious and was just casually mentioning he likes it. Then, he finished all the episodes (there's only been two seasons so far) and made a comment that "It's like Big Bang Theory, but written by smart people". Note that he's not a fan of the show and a Mike Judge fanboy so he said that because he's an insensitive jerk (but is willing to compromise and go out of limb to watch the show for me). If only he wasn't some couple of timezones away, I would have slapped him. But I can't deny I did not get curious so I sacrificed sleep time for a binge-watch. They're still totally different sitcoms but it IS pretty good.

Like the show, but can you classify it as a sitcom? Not much similarities with BBT though, other then the geek squad haha. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been binge watching Curb Your Enthusiasm lately.  God...I love Larry!

Well, it's pretty hard to have a good debate if someone will never change their opinion regardless of changing evidence! The first time I watched Big Bang, I wasn't overexcited by it. Then I watched i

Community, Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Larry Sanders Show, Titus, That 70's Show, and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Like the show, but can you classify it as a sitcom? Not much similarities with BBT though, other then the geek squad haha. 

Sorry, I'd probably just call it a comedy series and not a sitcom. Whoops! For a moment there I wasn't thinking. But yeah, some aspects are similar (like character dynamic) but they're two totally different things. And I like it.

Anyone have any similar recommendations?

Sorry, I'd probably just call it a comedy series and not a sitcom. Whoops! For a moment there I wasn't thinking. But yeah, some aspects are similar (like character dynamic) but they're two totally different things. And I like it.

Anyone have any similar recommendations?

Scorpion? It's pretty good. Funny alot of these nerd shows being prime time, made possible by Big Bang..

Scorpion? It's pretty good. Funny alot of these nerd shows being prime time, made possible by Big Bang..

Nice! I will definitely try that. Thank you! Yep, nerd cred partly due to Big Bang!

• Like 1

Mine are "The Office" (U.S.), "Fawlty Towers", "Black-ish", "Welcome to Sweden", "Fresh off the Boat", "Simpsons" through the mid-2000's, "Better Off Ted", "Get Smart", "Seinfeld", "Scrubs", "Undateable" and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine".

By the way, "Whose Line is it Anyway?" is a sketch comedy show and not a sitcom.

• 2 months later...

Dont think.ive listed other sitcoms i like before 

Fresh off the Boat, Himym, Two and a Half Men, Friends, Anger Management, Curb Your Enthusasim

Edited by 3ku11

Sitcoms:  Cheers(especially the early years), Frazier, Friends, HIMYM, Will & Grace.

Dramas:  NCIS, CSI, Criminal Minds.

Those are my favs at the moment.  NCIS is pretty funny.  In fact last weeks episode I laughed more during NCIS than TBBT...

• 2 weeks later...

Besides (and before) TBBT, I had two favorite sitcoms: The King of Queens and (to a lesser extent) Will & Grace. I only watched W&G for Karen. I couldn't get into Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, How I Met Your Mother, and the single-camera comedies like the U.S. version of The Office, 30 Rock, and Modern Family.

One thing I enjoy about single-camera sitcoms, is watching for continuity errors, from the two run throughs.

Things like, a glass suddenly having more drink in it, or something moving on (or appearing/disappearing from) a table.

For instance, watch the glass Phil (the man in the jacket) is drinking from, from about 4:00

Edited by Stephen Hawking

Curb Your Enthusasim I actually like better then Seinfeld. Larry is just a hot mess lol. I love his African American friends who live with him on and off. And his big best friend. Larry is the type of guy who would get into an argument with meter lady, Do you see this ticket? lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rosanne, FRIENDS, Every Body Loves Raymond, Family Ties, Silver Spoons, Punky Brewster, Facts of Life, The Cosby Show, The Golden Girls, One Day At a Time, Jack of All Trades, Alice, Gimme A Break, Three's Company, Three's A Crowd, All In The Family, Carol Burnette & Friends

Edited by jenafan

Three's Company, Cheers, Seinfeld, All In The Family, Friends, The Dick Van Dyke Show,  Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Jeffersons, Happy Days, Maude, I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners,  Murphy Brown, Home Improvement, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Roseanne, That '70s Show, Everybody Loves Raymond, The King of Queens, A Different World, The Nanny,

Other Shows I like to watch but aren't exactly a top favorite: 

The Andy Griffith Show, Hazel, The Bob Newhart Show, M*A*S*H, Good Times, Laverne & Shirley, Mama's Family, 227, Family Ties, The Golden Girls, Blossom, Mad About You, Frasier, The George Lopez Show, 8 Simple Rules, Two And a Half Men

• 1 year later...

The Thick of it, Veep, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Silicon Valley (need to catch up), Community (I haven't watched S4 or S6 though...), Frasier, Arrested Development, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, BoJack Horseman (although that show is FULLY one of the most depressing I have ever seen, so...), The IT Crowd.

I like "The middle" it's a funny and touching show and it has gone better since it's 4th season. and the youngest kid there, Brick, also clearly has ASD like Sheldon (this diagnosis includes Asperger's which would probably be Sheldon and Brick's diagnosis based on the former diagnostic manual)...he and his sister Sue are also very socially awkward...  

Edited by bfm

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a huge Allo Allo fan and found out the other day the sad news that Gordon Kaye who played Rene Artois had passed away. They don't make British sitcoms of that quality anymore, though these days with all the political correctness I am not sure they could make shows like that again.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...