The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Biggles

This show is great for those with depression.

Sorry for the lead in to this thread.

Although I am an active user of a couple of conspiracy theory forums, I felt I just had to join to put down in words what the show means to me who suffers from bipolar.

I take my meds, but sometimes I can still get down and depressed and then that is when I search through my cable channels to see if there is an episode of TBBT.

I dont laugh much at many supposedly comedy shows that are on, but I do laugh out loud, lol, lolz, at TBBT and mostly Sheldon.

He just cracks me up. I can relate to him because I have some of the traits of OCD that he has on the show.

I like things how I like them. I am very fussy with my food, where I sit and what people do around me. I dont suffer arrogant fools at all but Sheldon as I said cracks me up and gets me out of my downer, which is a feat in itself.

I am an Australian female, 58 years old, a mother and grandmother to 5 and live by myself with my cat, having been divorced for a couple of years now, not that anyone cares, lol.

So the show helps me and I am sure it must help others as well so thanks for that guys.

I will say another thing and that is I wasnt very happy when I heard that the cast were getting paid such a piddly amount.

I know Sheldon, Leonard and Penny have had a massive increase, but Howard and Raj should also be getting a couple of hundred thousand per episode as well now.

I mean heaven's sake, you producers must know your onto a gold mine so be fair and pay those guys the amounts that they deserve; as long as it doesnt go to their heads lol, but be fair and pay them what they deserve; or else you might find me speaking badly of you on another forum. lolz.

I know what you mean, I can relate to Sheldon more than anyone else on this show. Some people tell me I don't shut up when I start talking, I go on and on just like Sheldon, oh and I love online games..I'm alarmed when someone pats me on my back or shoulders, I got a bottle of hand sanitizing gel on my desk that I use to disinfect my hands. List goes on and on. :D

----

About the cast and how much they get paid, well, I have always seen Sheldon, Leonard and Penny as the main 3 characters, if Kunal and Simon get a raise then what about Bernadette and Amy? :/

I agree about the money, as I've stated many times they deserve equal with the others.

Ps, welcome to the forums. Look forward to reading your posts.

@ShellyBean I disagree with you, Raj and Howard IMO are more valid to the show then Penny. She should be paid the least

I agree about the pay disparity. "Leonard" and "Penny" were paid the most from the getgo, although IMHO they deserved the least. "Sheldon" only caught up recently. "Howard" is still underpaid.

The way I see it, in terms of sheer talent and acting chops, the highest paid should be "Sheldon" and "Howard" (equally). Then "moms" and "Bernadette". Then "Penny". "Leonard", "Amy" and "Raj" are of the same caliber, not too impressive. JMHO.

Of course, that's not how Hollywood works.

I agree about the pay disparity. "Leonard" and "Penny" were paid the most from the getgo, although IMHO they deserved the least. "Sheldon" only caught up recently. "Howard" is still underpaid.

The way I see it, in terms of sheer talent and acting chops, the highest paid should be "Sheldon" and "Howard" (equally). Then "moms" and "Bernadette". Then "Penny". "Leonard", "Amy" and "Raj" are of the same caliber, not too impressive. JMHO.

Of course, that's not how Hollywood works.

Agreed!

OP - welcome here. And yes, I completely agree that this show is a wonderful antidote for the tough times in our lives. :) I can't list the number of times it has 'saved' me, simply by lifting me out of the blues or reminding me of the light-hearted aspect of most problems and life issues.

Biggles, I too have a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder. I do find the show very therapeutic and it can sometimes lift my mood.

Biggles, I too have a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder. I do find the show very therapeutic and it can sometimes lift my mood.

Same here.

Well, I too suffer from depression and anxiety. I agree that there is a measurable improvement in my mood watching this show. This show in particular I find really funny. Really laughter by any means is what makes the difference. There may be other funny shows out there, or comedians who give a stand up routine that can make me laugh too. However this show is WAY up there if not number one in making me laugh, and be able to "lighten up" a bit.

From the get-go, this show has made me laugh out loud. Talk about a serotonin boost! After a hard days work and just plain 'ol life, I love nothing more than to watch any episode. It's such a happy, positive show. :icon_razz: I have chronic depression and have to be on what I call "happy pills" for the rest of my life. And like some of my fellow Big Bang lovers here, even then I dip real low under the horizon at times; but the gang make my day :wub:

This show has really been a mood booster for me--giving me something to laugh about at a time in my life when I've got a lot of frustrations going on (job, health insurance, $$, etc.)

I especially love Tuesday nights when I can have an evening of TBBT gluttony. Our local FOX affiliate shows an hour of TBBT from 6-7, then I watch the TBBT shows on TBS from 7 to 10. Good times!

The show does make me really happy an everybody on it, it gives me something to look forward too and most of the tbbt stans i've talked too are really great.

This show is great for those with depression.

I agree 70%...

30% = Sometimes I see some action that remind me some sad situation in my own life, and I get more depressed...

I agree 70%...

30% = Sometimes I see some action that remind me some sad situation in my own life, and I get more depressed...

This happens to me with drama. But thanks to the fact that TBBT is a comedy, even when I find resonances with my own real-life problems I end up being comforted and cheered up because of the characteristic light-hearted treatment of it on the show. It reminds me not to take myself, or life, too seriously.

• Like 1

Im not very happy with my job, to say the least. Actually, very unhappy. At times the show is my only salvation - I don't always laugh out loud, but mostly I have a big grin on my face and warm feeling in side :) I love them!

And yes, some times the show touches sensitive life subjects in deep and serious way, you have things to think about afterwards. But that just makes TBBT greater!

I see quite a few names that I see fairly often. Due to growths inside my brain, in the last 5 years, I have come down with a nice case of OCD with a side of PTSD. so it's all "new' to me. Med.s help quite a bit, But I still have too many "bad" days. I don't want to air my "dirty laundry" for everyone to see, but if anyone has any helpful ideas or just want to talk, you can PM me. I have a lot of time on my hands so i'm not usually far from the computer.

Well, I don´t have any medical problem but I have some characteristics of Sheldon, Amy, Stuart...and maybe Raj too. This make me a little bit lonely person. Recently I did that Nerd-test I found here in this site and I became to know I am "High- Nerd" :icon_surprised: Well, at least I feel I am part of a group now :) The first time I saw this show I tought: wow, this is my world seen in a funny but at the same time nice way!

And definitely HOWARD is very important and he should earn the same as Leonard!! I read that Jim and Jhonny are earning same...why? Sheldon is the most important and amazing actor there. I can see Leonard and Howard in the same level (very good too but not compared with Jim) It is me only who see the amazing job of Simon? Hes face´s expressions, body, voices. He is hilarious!