Apparantly Johnny Galecki is a vegetarian yet

When they are pushing the food around thats really the only time on the show that bugs me a bit

There might be a good reason for not eating any of the food - clarity of speech, diction, missing a cue, food probably cold and unappetising or might even be just a prop. :)

Props would answer the question of if there was "meat" on the table because then Johnny def would not eat it and there was a scene in the bloopers where Jim forgot his line whilst eating with Penny and Kaley said sarcastically dont worry the food tastes so good

• 1 year later...

What's with the not eating the food prop thing?

Maybe it's because I grew up in a third world country and while I go through certain episodes of the ketogenic diet when the call for it comes, I can never understand people who take food so trivially. Food is food - people are starving and rummaging the dumpsters for your leftovers. I've met people who dream of tasting chicken and my own mother wasn't able to know how an apple tasted like until she was 20.

Sorry, my mind is just completely boggled especially by Hollywood people being too choosy with their food. I'd understand if it was a religious or cultural reason but even in times of survival, they'd rather be stick thin and all that stuff? I just find it so ironic that these are the same people inclined to drink and smoke or lead unhealthy lifestyles such as undereating while overexercising. 

Apologies for the rant.

What's with the not eating the food prop thing?

Maybe it's because I grew up in a third world country and while I go through certain episodes of the ketogenic diet when the call for it comes, I can never understand people who take food so trivially. Food is food - people are starving and rummaging the dumpsters for your leftovers. I've met people who dream of tasting chicken and my own mother wasn't able to know how an apple tasted like until she was 20.

Sorry, my mind is just completely boggled especially by Hollywood people being too choosy with their food. I'd understand if it was a religious or cultural reason but even in times of survival, they'd rather be stick thin and all that stuff? I just find it so ironic that these are the same people inclined to drink and smoke or lead unhealthy lifestyles such as undereating while overexercising. 

Apologies for the rant.

I think they eat it a lot between takes and on breaks from what the cast say.  Evidently the food is excellent and top quality.  However, you have to remember that this show moves really fast and they have to deliver lines fast.  If they were struggling with food in their mouths at the same time, it would be difficult to understand them. Even now, many complain they can't understand Bernie because of the pitch of her voice has a problem with many people's ears.  Some mumble as well and are hard to understand.  Add food to the mix and it could be disastrous to try and understand them.    Even if you don't have a couple of lines and think you can get a bite in here and there, it has to be tough because they move so quickly through dialog on the show.   You might still be chewing when it comes to you to deliver a line.  

The food doesn't go to waste from what I understand.  I think they do eat it, just not so much on camera.   Although Penny seems to not mind eating with food in her mouth.  She seems to eat the most of the bunch.   :girlwink:

In the earlier seasons, they ate more--and in the gag reels there were often scenes where they'd be choking or coughing or trying to talk with their mouths full of food.  I think that pretending to eat, though it's VERY obvious that they're just pushing it around, makes it easier to get the timing of their lines right and not blow lines because of the food.

But every now and then they'll actually eat a bit or two--even Jim--if the action of the scene calls for it, etc.

As for food going to waste, It's not like they're going through a 5 course meal every day and then throwing it in the trash.  It's maybe a handful of meals once a week when they tape--and then not even every week of the season.

As for whatever diets people follow, people make food choices for all kinds of reasons--health issues, environmental issues, religious or other beliefs--and choose what they will or can eat accordingly.

While it is a shame that many people in the world are suffering from hunger and deprivation, I don't know that a handful of actors pretending to eat noodles is a factor in how food is distributed worldwide.  Governments oftentimes make choices about what food aid they will or will not take, and, sadly, politics often plays a bigger role than the needs of their people.

I agree with what Phantagrae said. The fact that people are starving in some places of the world has nothing to do with the fact that the actors at TBBT eat their foood or they just play with it. Even if they were throwing the food away (which I'm not saying is correct) , it would still have no bearing. The scarcity of food in certain countries has much more to do with socioeconomic issues, and abuses of power by governments who don't care for the people they are supposed to serve. Besides that each person has the right to eat what they want , or not, as the case might be. I am a picky eater, and don't feel in the least bit guilty about not eating something I like just because some people don't have anything to eat.

In terms of resources and energy use, being vegetarian is much kinder to the planet and to our species. But go read " Make Room, Make Room" by Harry Harrison, or any other dystopian novel that projects on current trends.

Good on Mr G.

mmmmmmmmmm Soylent Green.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pescetarians confuse me to be honest. If you don't mind eating seafood, why do you deny yourself other animals? My neighbour is a pescetarian, but only because she dislikes the taste of all meat, except for fish. That I can understand. I just don't understand only eating seafood. Why is that ok?  :unsure:

Edited by ConsuelaBananahammock

I'm a vegetarian, and once in a blue moon I will try to eat fish. For me, the texture is just different than land animals, it's not like human muscle tissue, which is what grosses my mind. Also, I can see where people don't see fish as feeling, nurturing animals that have young and have intelligence like animals. Just my two cents.

Edited by sheldorslady